Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Do you report people?

PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

In my case, I have found myself reporting inappropriate names in games I care about. 

My definition [of inappropriate]* is if you (a decent person) wouldn't say the name in front of a 9 -year-old or if it would hurt someone like if it is racist, sexist, or otherwise hateful.  

Do you report people? And if so, for what? 

*Edit: Since some people didn't seem to catch this.

Comments

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Racine, WIPosts: 135Member
    naw I am pretty good at ignoring things and most things dont faze me... if you want to have more behavior or silly names than you are the one behaving like a moron... i tend to just keep on moving and not waste my time...

• SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAPosts: 1,160Member Uncommon

In return for answering you question, i'd like you to answer mine. Why do you care to know if others report others on their name?

Also no, i don't. It's pretty stupid to report for what you might consider "inappropriate" names. [mod edit]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DarkagesDarkages CAPosts: 73Member Uncommon
    No i don't report those people, it saves me time and headaches knowing right away i don't want to play with that person.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

I stopped bothering to in games. Now if I see someone with a totally stupid name, I'm thankful games let that person have it. I know right away that person is a moron and I didn't have to spend a second in a group with him to find that out.

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

In return for answering you question, i'd like you to answer mine. Why do you care to know if others report others on their name?

Also no, i don't. It's pretty stupid to report for what you might consider "inappropriate" names. This is the problem with society these days, and by society its mainly american society who likes to coddle and shield their children away from the "obscene". I say "obscene" because americans generally like to give a larger weight to things that are meaningless.

Weird how you turned a pretty simple question into an anti-American ..well whatever that was.

• SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAPosts: 1,160Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Also no, i don't. It's pretty stupid to report for what you might consider "inappropriate" names. This is the problem with society these days, and by society its mainly american society who likes to coddle and shield their children away from the "obscene". I say "obscene" because americans generally like to give a larger weight to things that are meaningless.

Weird how you turned a pretty simple question into an anti-American ..well whatever that was.

You should see me work my magic on Mondays.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• LanfeaLanfea EssenPosts: 219Member Uncommon

the times are over in which a gm popped out of nowhere to remind a player that xxxkillerxxx is an inappropriate name and that he has now the chance to come up with a good name or he will change it for you. the times are over in which i turn on the worldchat, because  half of the users in there behave inappropriate and should be reported. the times are over in which only a small special social group of people had an interest in mmorpgs and had their own ways to deal with any sociopath who thought he can mess with the server community. nowadays the community of a mmorpg reflects the society and its views of moral, value and ethic.

and to be honest ... why should i report someone? does he learn from his mistakes? don't think so. is there any real punishment to be expected? don't think so either ... most companies give you a permanent ban when they find a third program cheat, maybe a week if you keep using an exploit and 2 days if you state some radical political oppinion. but for calling names such as motherfucker or asshole nothing happens, because it seams that this isn't inappropriate anymore.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHPosts: 879Member Uncommon

It has to be something pretty offensive for me to report it. Like something along the lines of referring to child abuse, sexual abuse, blatant racially-motivated hatred (not for stupid off color jokes, like the guild name 'Naga stole my bike' or something), or something specifically worded to mock and / or antagonize a certain group of people.

Personally, I find people who are too uncreative to come up with something other than the 9,341,093rd spelling / leet speak variation of Drizzt, Elric, Aragorn, Glorfindel, Arwen, Conan, etc. far more offensive then most supposedly 'offensive' names out there. Sadly, can't really report someone for lack of creativity.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    I don't care whether something is offensive or not, I report people who ruin the game. Exploit, intentional friendly fire... that sort of thing.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

Originally posted by Lanfea

the times are over in which a gm popped out of nowhere to remind a player that xxxkillerxxx is an inappropriate name and that he has now the chance to come up with a good name or he will change it for you. the times are over in which i turn on the worldchat, because  half of the users in there behave inappropriate and should be reported. the times are over in which only a small special social group of people had an interest in mmorpgs and had their own ways to deal with any sociopath who thought he can mess with the server community. nowadays the community of a mmorpg reflects the society and its views of moral, value and ethic.

and to be honest ... why should i report someone? does he learn from his mistakes? don't think so. is there any real punishment to be expected? don't think so either ... most companies give you a permanent ban when they find a third program cheat, maybe a week if you keep using an exploit and 2 days if you state some radical political oppinion. but for calling names such as motherfucker or asshole nothing happens, because it seams that this isn't inappropriate anymore.

You're right. Filed under "sad but true." I guess I was irritated because there are a lot of mature people in this game, but as it gets more popular, well, like you said.

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

It has to be something pretty offensive for me to report it. Like something along the lines of referring to child abuse, sexual abuse, blatant racially-motivated hatred (not for stupid off color jokes, like the guild name 'Naga stole my bike' or something), or something specifically worded to mock and / or antagonize a certain group of people.

Personally, I find people who are too uncreative to come up with something other than the 9,341,093rd spelling / leet speak variation of Drizzt, Elric, Aragorn, Glorfindel, Arwen, Conan, etc. far more offensive then most supposedly 'offensive' names out there. Sadly, can't really report someone for lack of creativity.

That's basically what I did. It was extremely offensive. I won't even repeat it here - really hateful stuff. I don't care about stupid names like xxXPwn-FaceXxx or even simple old PWN-FACE. Yes, I note the irony. My name was meant to be ironic.

• NephelaiNephelai SydneyPosts: 184Member Uncommon

My observation over the years is that there is a very high correlation between ASCII names and some type of brain malfunction - straight to the ignore list.

• Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,727Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

It happens. Exploits, hacks, these kinda stuff.

To be honest, never get these naming issues... I name my characters always to fit into the world so I'm not affected, but nevertheless I believe naming restrictions should belong on rp-servers only.

Beyond that, if the game's filter allows it, then it's ok. Occasionally it's even funny. I just laugh when I saw a Lord Vader in a klingon cruiser, or a white Lm named Ghandhalfh... not while ago I saw an elf male in Neverwinter, with the thoughtful name-choice of ElfMister (a wizard, obviously). Those aren't worth the time wasted onto reporting. At least imo.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Wolfeboro, NHPosts: 1,201Member Uncommon
    Yup, on a fairly regular basis depending on the game and the circumstances. Thankfully many games make it really easy to report/block/ignore people these days. I always make sure the people I report also go on my ignore list, with a note if possible, so I know they aren't someone I want to deal with in the future. I especially like it when people call me out for putting people on my ignore list and/or blocking them...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

In my case, I have found myself reporting inappropriate names in games I care about. 

My definition is if you (a decent person) wouldn't say the name in front of a 9 -year-old or if it would hurt someone like if it is racist, sexist, or otherwise hateful.  

Out of curiousity, would you report a character named PWN_FACE?

(just trying to get a sense of where your line is)

Me, the only thing I report is spam ( especially malicious URLs or impersonating a GM ).  Names don't tend really register with me as being actual words unless I stop and consciously read them.  Also, years ago I ran into a roleplaying group that had cryptic naming rules that I never managed to decipher, leaving me sour on the whole idea of being a judge of other peoples' names. 

• HatefullHatefull Posts: 774Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Darkholme
    Yup, on a fairly regular basis depending on the game and the circumstances. Thankfully many games make it really easy to report/block/ignore people these days. I always make sure the people I report also go on my ignore list, with a note if possible, so I know they aren't someone I want to deal with in the future. I especially like it when people call me out for putting people on my ignore list and/or blocking them...

This is where I shake out. I usually won't worry about names, they just go to the ignore list and I carry on with my life. Exploiting, hacking, etc I will report and be as detailed as allowed, and I have a huge hard drive just for screen shots that I will submit along with a personal write up straight to a developer or someone I can find outside the CS department, if I feel the person has not been dealt with properly.

If no one stands up to make the game they like a better place, then it will remain a filth pool. Yes, people do not take the reports seriously or they have the attitude of "oh well, I will be back in a couple day's" or just make a new account in the case of F2P games.

Go a step further post their names around to major guilds, get their name out there so they end up doing nothing but playing solo, they can't even troll as they are on everyone's ignore list.

Also, to the anti-American poster. Panzar, is the first game I have ever played where the devs post the names of people they have banned and perma-banned for foul language on the official forums. That is a European developed and published game. So that excuse that 'Americans' are the only people that think foul language is inappropriate is 100% false.

At the end of the day, you have to do what feels right to you. I report, others don't, do what you feel is right.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,849Member Uncommon
    Only if it's severe. A name like xXSepirofLULZXx, isn't going to be reported by me but names like IFuchtUrMom probably will. Same with chat, a slip of the tongue or a single profanity no big deal but spamming hateful profanity is reportable.
  • SkymourneSkymourne Ruston, LAPosts: 366Member Uncommon

Speaking of reporting.....obviously the answer is yes.  

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,296Member Uncommon
    i do tend to report people, that is, if i get 'gold spam' or see it in general chat, then i report the ones doing it. to report someone for having a dodgy name, well i have done that, but only if the name is particularly crass, which im surprised gets past the in game filters (assuming they have them!) reporting namess that are in particular bad taste - which doesnt necessarily mean they use foul language, is something i think everyone should do. Personally if it was up to me, i'd evict them from the game permanently, i'd make a terrible GM/CSR image
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon

I don't report of the occasional slur (notably the "f" word and stuff like that). I think there's a huge difference between cursing, which is not directed at anyone, and personal attacks.

- "I can not figure out that f...ing quest" -> even if it's against game rules, I won't report that.
    - "(player name) is a f...ing moron" -> if the guy continues after being asked to stop, he also gets a report.

I will also report someone using racist, homophobic or misogynistic slurs (or similar stuff). For those, there's no warning, it's an immediate report and addition to my ignore list too.

And in games where such rules apply, like e.g. on RP servers, I will report inappropriate names too. People wanting to use such names can go play on non-RP servers. And I don't report names because they are "obscene", I'm also not American... I report names because I play on a RP server for immersion and someone named "Lady Gaga", "Pwn Ur Ass" or "BigP3N1S" in a medieval fantasy world disrupts that immersion.

And of course I report all gold selling spammers.

Originally posted by maplestone 

On a RP server, I definitely would.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by maplestone

(just trying to get a sense of where your line is)

Me, the only thing I report is spam ( especially malicious URLs or impersonating a GM ).  Names don't tend really register with me as being actual words unless I stop and consciously read them.  Also, years ago I ran into a roleplaying group that had cryptic naming rules that I never managed to decipher, leaving me sour on the whole idea of being a judge of other peoples' names. 

No, I wouldn't. [Edit: But as JLP said above, on an RP server, yes.] As I mentioned a few posts above, only if it's something a child who might also be playing the game shouldn't be exposed to, or if it's hateful. Being hateful is my definition of profane. 

If people think a name is funny or cool, who am I to judge? But as a member of a community, I do draw the line at certain things like hate: clear racial epithets, for one. The devs of the game I'm playing are pretty strict and seem to care, so far at least. 

When I made my name for these forums, I was in a certain mood and it was actually meant to be ironic (to me anyway). But that often doesn't turn out well in print. 

• StarIStarI Mount EverestPosts: 926Member Uncommon

Yeah I report offensive names. Not often tho, as for example I don't think PWN_FACE is in anyway offensive name, and that would probably be in 95% of games out there, probably more. It could sound offensive in  some hello_kitty type of game where killing NPCs and other players is 100% excluded. I have never played such a game tho, maybe because I'm too old.

But when I see dicks, vaginas, hitlers, etc,... I'm very happy to right click your name and report it.

GSO

• donpopukidonpopuki Dearborn, MIPosts: 591Member
    I only report gold spammers and automatic botting. If you are botter that doesn't make a nuisance of themselves then I'll leave them alone. Concerning offensive names, I don't care at all and in fact I enjoy the creative names I run across sometimes. Always good for laugh. I never made a toon with a stupid name however because I want to be taken seriously.
  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon

I don't bother. I'm usually to focused on my fun to even look at names any ways.  Unless it directly

effects

me. I hardly even notice what the other Avis are doing

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member
    I only report someone if they are hacking/boting and it usually does no good.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

I've reported gold farmers and people that looked like bots. That's about it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.