Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMO with crafting of appliances, plant growing or pet breeding

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
When I say crafting of appliances, I am talking about games like A Tale In The Desert or Wurm Online where you build yourself a house and a bunch of machines/tools/stuff that you use to then craft new stuff.  But I'd like a prettier game if possible (bright and colorful and not too realisticly boring like ATITD and Wurm or low-res like Minecraft.)  And it would be really nice if the game had actual NPCs and an actual story, unlike ATITD and Wurm and Minecraft.  Bonus points for pet and mount breeding or capturing, and/or farming sim/fishing sim minigame play.
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    I'd imagine you could do most of all this in any Sims Game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by sunandshadow
    When I say crafting of appliances, I am talking about games like A Tale In The Desert or Wurm Online where you build yourself a house and a bunch of machines/tools/stuff that you use to then craft new stuff.  But I'd like a prettier game if possible (bright and colorful and not too realisticly boring like ATITD and Wurm or low-res like Minecraft.)  And it would be really nice if the game had actual NPCs and an actual story, unlike ATITD and Wurm and Minecraft.  Bonus points for pet and mount breeding or capturing, and/or farming sim/fishing sim minigame play.

Final Fantasy XIV is working its way towards that. On the 17th, guild housing arrives and with it comes crafted furniture and decorations. Future patches include chocobo breeding and racing as well as having your own garden.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    I'd imagine you could do most of all this in any Sims Game.

Actually no, you can't do much of any crafting in the Sims series.  The main gameplay there is leveling up relationships and skills, micromanaging characters so their gauges don't fall into the red and they don't lose their jobs, and cleaning your house/taking care of any babies/pets.  You can build houses in build mode, but that's totally different from crafting them with your avatar by putting in loads of bricks and wood, and brewing paint for the outside.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

[quote] [i]Originally posted by Foomerang[/i]   [b]Final Fantasy XIV is working its way towards that. On the 17th, guild housing arrives and with it comes crafted furniture and decorations. Future patches include chocobo breeding and racing as well as having your own garden.[/b][/quote]

The phrase "guild housing" makes me nervous - it would suck to have to create a guild just to be able to own a house, and there's probably a level requirement and/or a big price tag.  Plus, the games I've played that have guild-own houses usually have very little customizability and functionality to the housing; it typically has nothing besides storage and crafting benches.  Maaaybe beds.  On the other hand chocobo breeding and racing might be fun.  I'm surprised that wasn't part of the initial game content, since it was so popular in previous FF games.  I hope the racing isn't PvP-only.  Instanced solo racing against NPCs would be good.

(Unrelatedly, I cannot figure out to make the spellcheck work.  I see the red squiggly under the word, but when I right-click there aren't any options for autocorrecting it.)

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

[quote] [i]Originally posted by Foomerang[/i]   [b]Final Fantasy XIV is working its way towards that. On the 17th, guild housing arrives and with it comes crafted furniture and decorations. Future patches include chocobo breeding and racing as well as having your own garden.[/b][/quote]

The phrase "guild housing" makes me nervous - it would suck to have to create a guild just to be able to own a house, and there's probably a level requirement and/or a big price tag.  Plus, the games I've played that have guild-own houses usually have very little customizability and functionality to the housing; it typically has nothing besides storage and crafting benches.  Maaaybe beds.  On the other hand chocobo breeding and racing might be fun.  I'm surprised that wasn't part of the initial game content, since it was so popular in previous FF games.  I hope the racing isn't PvP-only.  Instanced solo racing against NPCs would be good.

(Unrelatedly, I cannot figure out to make the spellcheck work.  I see the red squiggly under the word, but when I right-click there aren't any options for autocorrecting it.)

Individual player housing -should- make it into the game around June 2014. So eventually you'll be able to have your own house without having to have a guild. Also, do understand that all that extra stuff like chocobo breeding will only be for the guild houses, and won't be in the game until probably the same, around June 2014, if not a little sooner.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Individual player housing -should- make it into the game around June 2014. So eventually you'll be able to have your own house without having to have a guild. Also, do understand that all that extra stuff like chocobo breeding will only be for the guild houses, and won't be in the game until probably the same, around June 2014, if not a little sooner.

Le sigh.  Thank you for the info though.  That pretty much fits with what I've heard about the FFmmos all along, that they are not solo-friendly and put pressure on players to do things as a group. :/  I'm mainly a solo player, so...

Originally posted by Robokapp

wouldn't minecraft be a better alternative then? it's borderline an mmo and you're mostly a solo player.

it's difficult for a solo player to find the MMO he wants. MMOs just aren't designed for that. but multiplayer games sure are.

I tried to play minecraft before, but it's rather repellant-looking and it didn't seem to have any npcs or story or tutorials; I was told the free trial doesn't even have combat.  I didn't like Terarria much either.  I don't like storyless games, I like interactive story game, preferably pretty ones.  I liked Skyrim quite a bit, for example, though I could have done without the horror flavor of the story.

I really like soloing within solo-friendly MMOs.  It makes the world feel alive to see someone else doing the same gameplay activity as me, and I like chatting with other players too, whether in a regional channel or a guild channel.  I like playing with a global marketplace.  I like other players being around to admire my mount and my outfit and my house.  I'll even tolerate pugging once in a while.  I'm just an introvert with limited tolerance for working closely with someone else, especially if I feel I'm being forced to by the game.  I like to roleplay being a renissance woman or jill of all trades: a do-it-yourself-er.

(And why does the spellchecking not work, arrgh!)

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

Did you ever play SWG, the most comprehensive and enjoyable crafting there ever was, you can still play at: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php. You just need to find an old copy of the game which isn't hard.

The Repopulation will have some pretty in-depth crafting but the game is still in alpha: https://www.therepopulation.com/

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Wizard 101 has a decent story and hands down... the most in depth pet breeding system in any game. Crafting is lackluster but useful at least.. oh yeah.. it takes like 3 mins to install and runs on a pentium 2 350 mgHz machine.
  • Snake9009Snake9009 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Robokapp

wouldn't minecraft be a better alternative then? it's borderline an mmo and you're mostly a solo player.

it's difficult for a solo player to find the MMO he wants. MMOs just aren't designed for that. but multiplayer games sure are.

I tried to play minecraft before, but it's rather repellant-looking and it didn't seem to have any npcs or story or tutorials; I was told the free trial doesn't even have combat.  I didn't like Terarria much either.  I don't like storyless games, I like interactive story game, preferably pretty ones.  I liked Skyrim quite a bit, for example, though I could have done without the horror flavor of the story.

I really like soloing within solo-friendly MMOs.  It makes the world feel alive to see someone else doing the same gameplay activity as me, and I like chatting with other players too, whether in a regional channel or a guild channel.  I like playing with a global marketplace.  I like other players being around to admire my mount and my outfit and my house.  I'll even tolerate pugging once in a while.  I'm just an introvert with limited tolerance for working closely with someone else, especially if I feel I'm being forced to by the game.  I like to roleplay being a renissance woman or jill of all trades: a do-it-yourself-er.

(And why does the spellchecking not work, arrgh!)

Go to the Minecraft forums and look at the Mod section they have hundreds of graphics overhaul mods and some make the game look very nice. You will need a pretty hefty machine to run some of the mods where they tried to make everything look like the real world but if you can run them they are amazing.

The only game i know of where you can do everything you mentioned is a new game called Project Zomboid. You can get it at projectzomboid.com or on Steam and its like 15 bucks. The graphics are dated but the gameplay is a blast and it has more items to craft than any other game I have seen. You can also check out their Dev page and see they have a ton of stuff planned for the game and multiplayer is on their list.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

sadly all the crafting heavy games i can think of don't have much in the way of a population. with the exception of Runescape. it's often viewed as a kiddy game b/c of the graphics and the population age. (at least the population that carries on in general chat.) but it's got a very thoroughgoing crafting and skill system.

EQ2 has more content than you can shake a stick at. the crafting itself is average, but the upside is you can make actually useful ingame items as well as decorative ones for your housing. the housing you purchase, but its a complete instance all to yourself. and by instance i mean in particular the prestige housing. i have one that's basically a small plain with an island floating above that drops a waterfall down into the pond below. i made trees, rocks, plants and furniture and put a small forest, an ampitheater, and then a bedroom on the floating island. the game population is top-heavy though, so find a guild.

if population isn't a problem then:

Vanguard

Ryzom

Mabinogi

and if i were you i'd keep an eye on both EQ:Landmark and EQ:Next.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Like you I'm a fan of Wurm, ATITD and Minecraft-like games. I'm waiting for Everquest Next Landmark Alpha to start on or before Feb 28th 2014. I believe this will be the next generation crafting games, if it lives up to the hype... which we will never know before the actual Alpha.

The only game that wasn't mentioned in this thread is Xsyon, although it's quite an expensive game, and to be honest, not very good quality. It can keep you busy until Landmark starts though.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Some that are coming out within next year or two that you should keep an eye on that are heavy on crafting and sandbox:

1) The Repopulation

2) Life is Feudal

3) Shroud of the Avatar

4) Pathfinder Online

These games below are older but do carry what your looking for, only issue for me is the small communityh size and for soem games very dated graphics.  BTW if graphics are not a big deal...I suggest Istaria, played that game when it was Horizons years ago, best crafting MMO for a fantasy base i have ever player, housing, cities shops etc.

1) Istaria

2) Xyson

3) Mortal Online

4) SWG EMu 

Good luck .

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by Mightyking

Like you I'm a fan of Wurm, ATITD and Minecraft-like games. I'm waiting for Everquest Next Landmark Alpha to start on or before Feb 28th 2014. I believe this will be the next generation crafting games, if it lives up to the hype... which we will never know before the actual Alpha.

The only game that wasn't mentioned in this thread is Xsyon, although it's quite an expensive game, and to be honest, not very good quality. It can keep you busy until Landmark starts though.

As cool as landmark looks, it sounds very basic.  Hopefully I am wrong but, just how they have explained the basics of how it works, doesnt sound very complex or interesting, but should be fun for awhile.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

They haven't revealed the actual crafting yet. The only thing that was mentioned so far is a quote from Dave Ponytail: "crafting will be better than SWG." Although at this point everything is pretty much hype, it's clear that they have looked at games like minecraft and SWG, and obviously Everquest (I and II) as well. Hopefully they also learned from the SWG NGE debacle, and we're just going to be in for a treat.

We will know more in about 3 months, or when open beta starts.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

The ones which are out:

1. Wurm Online
    2. Mortal Online
    3. Ryzom
    4. Xyson
    5. maybe Age of Wushu

The ones to be released:

1. ArcheAge
    2. The Repopulation
    3. Everquest Next
    4. Life is Feudal
    5. Shroud of Avatar

Wow lots of responses. :)

Wizard 101 - played it, loved it, beat the game. (Though it's not the most in-depth breeding system I've seen, actually the part that it REQUIRES two players to breed is pretty awful.)

Repopulation - Doesn't really look like my style, I'm not really a fan of guns+robots settings.  Also, the concept that humans are failing at their colonization attempt but still can't stop squabbling and cooperate enough to focus on surviving gives me a "Lost all faith in those humans and don't want to live on that planet" feeling.  Which is too bad, cause I'm a big fan of erotic romances with a repopulation theme, lol.  I have to wonder if there is any actual reproduction included in that game design, seems unlikely. ;)

EverQuest Next - I'm actually not all that enthusiastic about it (didn't buy a founder pack when I got the offer for them).  Now, the voxel terrain part looks AWESOME, but I never liked the original EverQuest's gameplay, and most of the polls have been going opposite my own opinions, so I'm skeptical whether I'm going to like the way the gameplay turns out.

Ryzom - Uh, I thought it died, and they gave the code away, but no one could figure out how to use it enough to build their own MMO on top of it, partly because all the 3d object/animation files were in max format, and partly because they didn't have the full rights to the locations within the games to give those away?

The rest of these I will google tomorrow - some of them sound familiar, others are completely new to me. :)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

From what I've seen Shroud of the Avatar will be having some very serious crafting work in it.  It's a little too much into the comfy old fantasy zone for me, but that might suit you better.  Of course, it's not out, which doesn't help much now. 

Vanguard has a tremendously indepth crafting system.....I think.   I could not figure it out, but it looked pretty complex, and buying stuff via auction, each item had the crafter's name appended to it.  And the crafted items were often noticeably better than drops at the same levels.  Population is an issue, even with the ftp status now.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Wow lots of responses. :)

Wizard 101 - played it, loved it, beat the game. (Though it's not the most in-depth breeding system I've seen, actually the part that it REQUIRES two players to breed is pretty awful.)

Repopulation - Doesn't really look like my style, I'm not really a fan of guns+robots settings.  Also, the concept that humans are failing at their colonization attempt but still can't stop squabbling and cooperate enough to focus on surviving gives me a "Lost all faith in those humans and don't want to live on that planet" feeling.  Which is too bad, cause I'm a big fan of erotic romances with a repopulation theme, lol.  I have to wonder if there is any actual reproduction included in that game design, seems unlikely. ;)

EverQuest Next - I'm actually not all that enthusiastic about it (didn't buy a founder pack when I got the offer for them).  Now, the voxel terrain part looks AWESOME, but I never liked the original EverQuest's gameplay, and most of the polls have been going opposite my own opinions, so I'm skeptical whether I'm going to like the way the gameplay turns out.

Ryzom - Uh, I thought it died, and they gave the code away, but no one could figure out how to use it enough to build their own MMO on top of it, partly because all the 3d object/animation files were in max format, and partly because they didn't have the full rights to the locations within the games to give those away?

The rest of these I will google tomorrow - some of them sound familiar, others are completely new to me. :)

Pretty sure you're mistaken about Ryzom so look it up again.

Originally posted by Dihoru Pretty sure you're mistaken about Ryzom so look it up again.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzom
    According to wikipedia, Ryzom's original company went bankrupt, it was sold, the company that bought it and hadn't finished paying for it yet also went bankrupt, there was an opensource/fan movement that raised $60,000 to "free" it, and as of 2010 everything except the data specific to the commercial version is GPL or CC licensed, while the commercial version is owned and operated by Winch gate as a ftp game (except subscriptions are required at high levels). I didn't see any indication that any updates had been released in years, but that data might have been missing from the wikipage.

If anyone who made suggestions was curious what I went with, I tried Xsyon for 2 days, wasn't totally happy with it (the way of getting new crafting recipes and the high occurrence of instant death from monsters both sucked, though scavenging scrap was interesting).  Now I'm going to try Istaria.