Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will you feel being forced to play alone??? added poll

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

In the video linked below the Dev talks about being a hero and the single player game. How when you fight the big bad boss in your personal/main story, you do it in a instances alone so you can feel like the hero of the story. In SWToR when it comes to the main story you can bring friends to share in that if you want to and I have to say that was fun. Playing FF14 when it came ot the main story you were forced to play it alone. How would you like ESO to handle the main story? Myself, I play with my wife and we did not enjoy being forced to play solo in any moment in FF14. I personally would like the option to play with a friend in any part of the game thats labeled a MMO. How can you take friends out of any part of a MMO and still call your self a MMO? But thats my 2 cents, whats yours?

Link to video where he talks about playing solo!!! HERE

Comments

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

I'm fine with it. The content is intended to be for one person and bringing more would be less fun for me. I want to be challenged. Some of my best MMO experiences are things I could only do solo, like killing the Gatekeeper in TSW, and especially completing the hunter epic quest in WoW. I did the entire SWTOR Imperial Agent story-line solo.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Absolutely Fine with it.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I like options and scalability. If I want to do it alone then let me. If I want to bring a partner or go in as a group then let me do that too.

It surprises me when developers don't learn lessons from hurdles other devs have faced. LotRO is should be a game they look at closely. It's incredibly story driven and one of their monumental flow hurdles has been with the story ping-ponging players back and forth between forced solo / forced group story progression. It has been a sore spot in that game since the beginning. Players don't want to switch back and forth between solo/group in order to progress a storyline.

Forcing players in any one direction is a very on-rails guided design trope. I know this game isn't a sandbox or even sandboxish, but I expected it to be a more open free form themepark. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Seconding this.  I like to quest with people and hate hitting a point where we have to go our separate ways because of some story quest.  While it may not be required, it ruins my fun.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm fine with it if I'm playing alone. Yet if such a thing happens while I'm in a good co-op session that's another thing. :)

In other words it's how it impacts the experience that counts for me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Giving the players options is always in the dev studio's best interests. If they dont give their players the option to bring friends and force them to play solo content in something they bill as an mmo then they'll have a problem, regardless of the issue at hand options are always the best bet.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is why I am lost interesting for ESO , I ll stick with Oblivion & Morrowind
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

It feels like publisher meddling.

No self respecting MMO dev would do something so idiotic.

When you try to do an epic singleplayer story, surrounded by other people, and never seeing the world change based on what you did, there's a tonal dissonance that ruins the whole experience. MMOs are for big stories. I know this is the Elderscrolls, but it is ONLINE, so it shouldn't have tried to hard to cram in singleplayer stuff. It didn't help SWTOR.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

In the video linked below the Dev talks about being a hero and the single player game. How when you fight the big bad boss in your personal/main story, you do it in a instances alone so you can feel like the hero of the story. In SWToR when it comes to the main story you can bring friends to share in that if you want to and I have to say that was fun. Playing FF14 when it came ot the main story you were forced to play it alone. How would you like ESO to handle the main story? Myself, I play with my wife and we did not enjoy being forced to play solo in any moment in FF14. I personally would like the option to play with a friend in any part of the game thats labeled a MMO. How can you take friends out of any part of a MMO and still call your self a MMO? But thats my 2 cents, whats yours?

Link to video!!! HERE

MMO doesn't mean something specific such as "You play the whole game as a group.".  Massively Multiplayer Online only refers to it being connected online and obviously the sheer size of that.  Yes you can play much of the game solo, duo, grouped, whatever but wait till you're playing the game to make these assumptions.  Hearing something and taking that one statement as a hard and cold fact only makes you an alarmist.  He didn't specifically say you cannot bring someone else, he just inferred that you're doing it solo.  

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

For the most part I would be fine with it. I don't really need to actually play with other people, even if I like the idea of other people being in the game world with me. It also makes sense from a scaling perspective. Scenarios only have to be scaled to one player, so they can be finely tuned and responsive.

However, I think it doesn't make that much sense to restrict players from playing together if they want to. If one player has a quest or reason to be doing something, then include other players in a secondary position in the scenario. If both players have a quest or reason for being there, somehow include them both in a primary position. I would consider this the better solution. This is probably harder than it sounds though. Players always find a way to kack things up.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by lizardbones

For the most part I would be fine with it. I don't really need to actually play with other people, even if I like the idea of other people being in the game world with me. It also makes sense from a scaling perspective. Scenarios only have to be scaled to one player, so they can be finely tuned and responsive.

However, I think it doesn't make that much sense to restrict players from playing together if they want to. If one player has a quest or reason to be doing something, then include other players in a secondary position in the scenario. If both players have a quest or reason for being there, somehow include them both in a primary position. I would consider this the better solution. This is probably harder than it sounds though. Players always find a way to kack things up.

ESO has said over and over that they are not a traditional MMO.  It is an Elder Scrolls game that takes place online.  So it seems perfectly congruent that they would make a decision like this.  Essentially just think of it like another ES game, you played all those solo through the story this just has other aspects that you can play with a group.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ego13

Link to video!!! HERE

MMO doesn't mean something specific such as "You play the whole game as a group.".  Massively Multiplayer Online only refers to it being connected online and obviously the sheer size of that.  Yes you can play much of the game solo, duo, grouped, whatever but wait till you're playing the game to make these assumptions.  Hearing something and taking that one statement as a hard and cold fact only makes you an alarmist.  He didn't specifically say you cannot bring someone else, he just inferred that you're doing it solo.  

So there is lots of players there but that does not mean you should team with them? That the friends you make online you need to pause playing with them so you can take off to play alone even if you dont want to? I personally play MMOs to play with people. If I want to play alone I will go boot up my console. When I log into a online world, Im of the group that starts by asking friends what they are doing and how can I help or do you want to join me. I personally hope the main story can be played with friends or solo. If the story scales by how many are in your team... that would be even better. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

You're losing interest in ESO, because you might be required to play some parts of it alone.

As a result, you will instead play games which are played entirely alone.

. . . ?

Originally posted by Rusque

You're losing interest in ESO, because you might be required to play some parts of it alone.

. . . ?

You dont need to pay a monthly fee to play a console game =-)

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

There should be a choice. If someone is really so bothered that he can't play alone for few minutes, and doesn't care about immersion, then he should be able to do so. What do I care how other people play.

Developers keep going with the idiotic single player mmorpg hybrid that keeps failing, so at least there should be option to say "f*ck you" to them, and play it like a multiplayer game should be played. Of course keeping the ability to solo for those people that like to experience pathetic single player aspect of a mmorpg, just to be a ignored part of some fake community.

It really amazes me how developers split resources into single player aspects and multiplayer aspects, just to have half-assed singleplayer and half-assed multiplayer. It is obvious that both will be lacking. Why play good, solid single player, if you can have unpolished, lacking mmo single player with hunderds of protagonists, that all are special just like you running around and repeairing broken pump to save the village just as you did a minute ago.. it is soo immersive and entertaining....

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

ESO is a mass-market game appealing to the mainstream MMO'er and also hoping to draw in a whole host of TES fans that might never have played a MMORPG before.

Therefore it is logical that there should be a very strong emphasis on single-player activity. If they have time, they could perhaps look at making the main storyline co-op capable, but that's a nice-to-have, not essential.

Most AAA MMORPG games these days allow the players to play all the way to level-cap solo without any progression penalty. I would almost be inclined to say that it's expected to be that way by the majority of players. Grouped play is usually an optional extra in the form of dungeons or raids.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I'm fine with it. There's plenty of open world things  to do with others so, for me, a scripted encounter here or there that's single-player just adds to the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Not sure what MMO world you're from but in the past decade pretty much every MMO not only allows you to play alone, it encourages it. I don't think most the instant gratification 12 year old MMO audience will lose any sleep being forced to play alone even more do you?
  • iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Rusque

. . . ?

You dont need to pay a monthly fee to play a console game =-)

The subject line of your own OP was "How will you feel being forced to play alone?"

Agent_Joseph's reply was that this is causing a loss of interest in ESO for being forced to solo certain quests, so the solution is to stay with single player games.

Rusque questions that thinking (as do I, to put it bluntly - that is like saying you hate to get wet, yet you stand in the rain while complaining).

I don't see anywhere in the thread where the subject of paying a monthly fee had anything to do with it. Did I miss something?

To stay in the context of the question asked in the OP - I don't have a problem with it, personally.

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

There should be a choice. If someone is really so bothered that he can't play alone for few minutes, and doesn't care about immersion, then he should be able to do so. What do I care how other people play.

Developers keep going with the idiotic single player mmorpg hybrid that keeps failing, so at least there should be option to say "f*ck you" to them, and play it like a multiplayer game should be played. Of course keeping the ability to solo for those people that like to experience pathetic single player aspect of a mmorpg, just to be a ignored part of some fake community.

It really amazes me how developers split resources into single player aspects and multiplayer aspects, just to have half-assed singleplayer and half-assed multiplayer. It is obvious that both will be lacking. Why play good, solid single player, if you can have unpolished, lacking mmo single player with hunderds of protagonists, that all are special just like you running around and repeairing broken pump to save the village just as you did a minute ago.. it is soo immersive and entertaining....

Well put =-)

Link to video!!! HERE

So there is lots of players there but that does not mean you should team with them? That the friends you make online you need to pause playing with them so you can take off to play alone even if you dont want to? I personally play MMOs to play with people. If I want to play alone I will go boot up my console. When I log into a online world, Im of the group that starts by asking friends what they are doing and how can I help or do you want to join me. I personally hope the main story can be played with friends or solo. If the story scales by how many are in your team... that would be even better. 

No one is forcing you to do the solo-only content, or to even play the game at all. If it bothers you, simply don't do it.

Originally posted by Arkade99

Link to video!!! HERE

No one is forcing you to do the solo-only content, or to even play the game at all. If it bothers you, simply don't do it.

No thanks... if you watch that video in whole the ESO dev talks about listening to their fan base. I would rather lets them know I want an option to play with friends even on my main story. If they can add scaling to the main story for bringing friends that would be even better. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones For the most part I would be fine with it. I don't really need to actually play with other people, even if I like the idea of other people being in the game world with me. It also makes sense from a scaling perspective. Scenarios only have to be scaled to one player, so they can be finely tuned and responsive. However, I think it doesn't make that much sense to restrict players from playing together if they want to. If one player has a quest or reason to be doing something, then include other players in a secondary position in the scenario. If both players have a quest or reason for being there, somehow include them both in a primary position. I would consider this the better solution. This is probably harder than it sounds though. Players always find a way to kack things up.
    ESO has said over and over that they are not a traditional MMO.  It is an Elder Scrolls game that takes place online.  So it seems perfectly congruent that they would make a decision like this.  Essentially just think of it like another ES game, you played all those solo through the story this just has other aspects that you can play with a group.

That's true. They have backed off on even the "MMO" moniker. I still think it would be better if the single player/multiplayer aspects of the game were a choice rather than a requirement though. I would also prefer private, player run servers too. Also, I would have preferred a Fallout 3/New Vegas game, but that's probably just me.

I am probably not the target audience for this game. ;)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I think it is a great way to put together a MMO. More options are always better IMO.

The main story, put there for TES fans of the SP series, can play through the story as a SPG. Typical MMO players will be rushing through the VO and ignoring the story anyway, so I don't see a big deal for a small part of the game, the story, being solo oriented. As well as the caves for solo play and exploration collection of books and shards.

There will still be grouping almost everywhere else. Open world quests, the 16 group dungeons, the 16 public dungeons, the 5 master group dungeons, he did say "raids" or their spin on them and the PvP.

I actually will be looking forward to going through the story 3 times for the 50+ and 50++ content. But they did say that you will probably need help for the 50++ content.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Originally posted by Arkade99

Link to video!!! HERE

No thanks... if you watch that video in whole the ESO dev talks about listening to their fan base. I would rather lets them know I want an option to play with friends even on my main story. If they can add scaling to the main story for bringing friends that would be even better. 

Scaling would likely involve a lot of work. Personally, I don't care if they allow others into the main story line or not, but I disagree that all content should allow multiple players.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

One of the main reasons I won't play this game. I don't mind mmos that have solo options, but this game seems to be doing everything it can think of to make grouping worthless.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)