Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What changed since launch?

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member

I quit after launch for a few reasons:

1.) Loot system was dull and lacked depth. 

2.) The end game was pointless due to #1.

3.) Leveling got boring and repetitive.

4.) Classes were dull because you were locked into only a few skills.

5.) Crafting was useless due to #1 but was a huge timesink. 

a.) Have they changed anything above? Have they made the gear more beefy so it feels like my character gets more powerful for getting better loot or is it still the "skin" system where you get better loot just to look cooler?

b.) Also, have they done any changes to leveling? I seemed to just do public quests over and over and it was the same two or three everytime.

c.) Is it worth checking it out again? I seriously didn't like the game at launch but it is possible after 15 months they changed a lot... And know it's free, but I have limited time.

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk somewhere, NYPosts: 836Member

They didn't change the leveling process, the classes are the same, however they added full Ascended Gear which has given what some might consider a "meaningful" end game goal, but which I consider the anti-thesis of the game and the very essence of the devil himself.

Ascended armor and weapons are obtained almost exclusively through crafting and take a lot of time to acquire so crafting, loot system, and what's generally perceived as "end game" have changed to accommodate this.

They also added a couple systems of time gates whereby you can only retrieve the currency for some of these Ascended item at a fixed rate. Idk if you're into that sort of stuff.

There's a couple living story events that continue around the world and they all have to do with the red salad. As I see it, there's only two ways people see Scarlet, they either hate her, or they hate her reaaallly really badly. So... enjoy that.

Also, Wintersday is coming up, so... there's that too. glhf

• eliteroelitero fremont, CAPosts: 263Member Uncommon
    Sir this game may not be for you. Please check the gamelist to find something suitable. =)
  • RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member
    Thanks for the replies. Saved me a lot of time. I will not be giving it a second chance. Back to Marvel Heroes and Starbound.
    Originally posted by Raserei
    Thanks for the replies. Saved me a lot of time. I will not be giving it a second chance. Back to Marvel Heroes and Starbound.

Hat of to you sir! Only if more people were like you on this website.

• djazzydjazzy louisville, COPosts: 3,578Member

It really sounds like you want an action rpg like Diablo and Marvel Heroes (which you said you are playing). so probably a wise choice for you.

• NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member
    Originally posted by elitero

Hat of to you sir! Only if more people were like you on this website.

Are you kidding? That's the core population.

Also, reference for OP, in case there was genuine interest: 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Release/Features

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_summary

Judging from your list though, you're probably making the right choice. This is not the game you're looking for.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member

If you'd honestly let a few forum trolls decide for you whether or not to try out a game again that is absolutely free to get back into, well... enjoy Marvel Heroes and Starbound.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Volkon

If you'd honestly let a few forum trolls decide for you whether or not to try out a game again that is absolutely free to get back into, well... enjoy Marvel Heroes and Starbound.

While this is true that he can check it out for himself, they weren't really trolls.  The things he dislikes about the game are still there, so there's no point him trying it again.  No point pushing a moot issue.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by evilastro

While this is true that he can check it out for himself, they weren't really trolls.  The things he dislikes about the game are still there, so there's no point him trying it again.  No point pushing a moot issue.

Perhaps... it just seems that based on the things he claims he didn't like he either never tried the game and posted for the thrill of trolling or didn't try it long enough to actually experience anything.

Oderint, dum metuant.

The reason I had replied the way I did (and there was no trolling its just honesty) because what he had mentioned in his post tells me:-

1- He has the game and will not install it to check out but rather post here to ask what has changed.

2- Hell couple of searches will show if anything is worth for this players liking.

Also you know it gets hectic around here when people who don't play the game and come around telling how the game sucks over and over.

So this was a breath of fresh air and you know what I like the OP, he got to the point.

• djazzydjazzy louisville, COPosts: 3,578Member

Perhaps... it just seems that based on the things he claims he didn't like he either never tried the game and posted for the thrill of trolling or didn't try it long enough to actually experience anything.

Perhaps but from his original post it really reads like he is looking for a totally different experience than what GW2 provides. He wants a loot dominated game and while gear is a bit more important than GW1 it certainly isn't a gear dominated game at all.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

Well he was wrong about Points 4 and 5. I had to push more buttons in GW2 than I ever had to press in any other MMO.  I guess that these people who like lots of buttons clogging their screens are new to macros, which is how most good players play those hotbar MMOs. With WoW and EQ2 I have a core set of 2-3 macros that do most of the work, and a few situational skills, definitely less than the 10 core skills GW2 has before you start weapon and using kits / elemental attunes / special skills.   As for number 5, well you can craft ascended now, so yeah, not really pointless anymore.

But his first 3 points essentially say that he hates the core of the game, so its just not the game for him.

• observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,013Member Uncommon

3.) Leveling got boring and repetitive.

b.) Also, have they done any changes to leveling? I seemed to just do public quests over and over and it was the same two or three everytime.

What do you expect?  That's every MMO  based on a leveling-progression system.

There's 4 starting zones, so how could it be repetitive, unless you've finished all of them with each race.

Then there's all the these other zones: http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/interactive-maps/

And that's just pve.  There's also other ways to level up, such as WvW, Crafting, Dungeons, etc.