Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMO with long combat duration

VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

I created this video to show the difference between Vanguard, typically considered to be the mature* MMO, and its inspiration, Everquest 1.

Just pointing out that even in a game I would be satisfied with, as an advance over Everquest, combat still takes at most a few seconds.

I tried a dungeon in Vanguard; the enemies died even quicker than when questing. Couldn't have run myself out of mana/energy if I'd tried, which I did.

Does anyone know of a game where combat, even during solo play, takes a good chunk of time? I expected the new Final Fantasy, 17 or whatever, to provide that but going by Youtube footage, it's the same.

I've attempted to satisfy my urge when I played World of Warcraft by doing heavy AoE farming. That actually worked for many years. Just trying to find something different.

*mature - just talking about the risk/vs reward ratio, the learning curve, incentive to group, etc.

TLDR: watch video, recommend game with long duration combat

Comments

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Go try Secret World. 
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

Thanks for the recommendation but I'm not sure why you'd recommend Secret World. Checked out a Youtube video, all the combat I could find in the hour long video consisted of enemies that last 5 global cooldowns.

And, unfortunately, modern games are not my thing. It's either space or fantasy for me, usually. And combining modern day with fantasy is just, bleh. Can't stand it.

Though the game does look quite smooth, looks like much of the hype was right?

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Go try Final Fantasy 11. If you can find a private server thats before Abyssea thats good.

If not, just buy the game. it should be super cheap. Combat is anything but fast in that game lmao. At least it used to be, and i think it still can be.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    EQ1 or Lineage 2
    Isaiah 41:10
  • RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Unrealistic, look at that two handed axe, how many blows could withstand an animal on real life? The second combat, where you fighting  a diamond golem? It lasted centuries.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

try Mortal online

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu. Not so much for PVE even though there is a lot of it, but for the PvP. A battle between skilled players can sometimes last 10-15 minutes. Pretty friken intense.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by grafh

Go try Final Fantasy 11. If you can find a private server thats before Abyssea thats good.

If not, just buy the game. it should be super cheap. Combat is anything but fast in that game lmao. At least it used to be, and i think it still can be.

Pretty much this ^

Sadly, most gamers don't like super slow paced combat, and actual combat rarely takes more than a minute for a fight. FFXI is the most current MMO that still abides by oldschool PvE combat mechanics. It even had an imfamous raid boss that took over a day of solid fighting to beat.

I doubt it's still like that, but the combat should still be what the OP is asking for. Slow (a minute or more per fight), tactical, and group oriented.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by grafh

Pretty much this ^

Sadly, most gamers don't like super slow paced combat, and actual combat rarely takes more than a minute for a fight. FFXI is the most current MMO that still abides by oldschool PvE combat mechanics. It even had an imfamous raid boss that took over a day of solid fighting to beat.

I doubt it's still like that, but the combat should still be what the OP is asking for. Slow (a minute or more per fight), tactical, and group oriented.

There are also groups around that still do content the old fashioned way. They refuse to go into abyssea till maybe 80+.. Go to the ffxi official forums, and check the servers. Tell them you are a new player, looking to enjoy the game pre abyssea. You should be able to find some groups or linkshells that will help you. 

Also, i have yet to see a game with better animations to this date. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH GRAPHICS, but animations are still some of the best ive ever seen.

Skills chains. I think gravitation is the best looking one still

http://www.youtube.com/results?filters=hd&search_query=ffxi+skillchains&lclk=hd

Weapon sill animations.. WHY CANT I HAVE THIS IN FFXIV!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF3AKcTdVyQ

Thanks everyone for the recommendations; I'll look into FFXI. I hadn't realized it was still playable.

I don't think Lineage would be my thing; too much PVP. If I could handle PVP I'd probably be playing EVE.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I seem to remember ryzom or planeshift could fit the bill, haven't played them in a while but a free so u'll have to check for yourself.

Some of the ship to ship combat in uncharted waters could take a decent while.

Neocron 2 could also be well worth a look if you want some longer combat.

Thanks for those kahhanadndhandars or whatever; can't see your name when replying. I checked out Ryzom but I'll be damned if can find any combat other than the newbie area, which shows enemies being downed in three spell casts. Also looked up PlaneShift in which I saw a rat in the sewer killed in two hits, a total of perhaps 3 seconds of combat.

I did try that pirate ship game, was kinda cool. Not enough to draw me away from MMOs into which I've already invested time, though.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    And what dungeon did you try in Vanguard?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

It all depends on what you are fighting on what class you are playing.  Soloing Champions (and even Legendary) MOBs in GW2 can take forever and each fight in a EM dungeon solo can take a really long time, I've had a few which take upwards of 45 minutes.  Of course anything else in that game dies quickly enough.

FFXIV had a really slow combat pace, but this was improved with ARR although it's still slow compared to most MMOs by today's standards.

Of course there are raid bosses in raiding MMOs.  Some of the end bosses in Rift (at least when I played) would take 10-15 minutes on one fight alone and I believe Akylios in Hammerknell took about 30 minutes on average to down.

Many F2P or Korean MMOs have long drawn out fights especially at high levels.  Soloing takes a ridiculous amount of time with downtime in between.  I remember one where killing 20 MOBs an hour was an excellent speed.

I really think the only AAA games still running strong that fit your criteria are FFXI and Everquest.

(Actually if you are looking for non-traditional MMO combat, things like Puzzle Pirates and even Pirates 101 and such take a very long time.  A typical ship battle in Puzzle Pirates takes several (15?) minutes)

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    To be fair, you picked just about the worst example of a long fight in VG. There are plenty that take longer. That said, no, the fights aren't several minutes long unless you're raiding or kiting something above your level. There are a few that take a good long while if you're doing that.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Try out p99. With EQMac closed down there are a lot more people in the lower level range to play with. If you want an even longer combat experience roll a necro or druid and solo!

• TheUnscathedTheUnscathed Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Utinni

Try out p99. With EQMac closed down there are a lot more people in the lower level range to play with. If you want an even longer combat experience roll a necro or druid and solo!

What is P99? Link?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by LoboMau
    Go try Secret World. 

Are you joking? I solo 10-12 guys my level with blade/ar build in less than 20 seconds, its a complete faceroll.

I am not aware of a single MMO with slow paced combat (where solo it takes a couple of minutes to kill a regular trash mob, other than old school EQ1)

Make a less than perfect build and soloing two guys at the same time (later in the game) is a challenge. 

Sorry OP, EQ1 is about it.  The crowd that wants to kill 30 mobs with one aoe has brainwashed MMO devs.

• Faust666Faust666 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by TheUnscathed
    Originally posted by Utinni

What is P99? Link?

Probably referring to Project 1999

http://www.project1999.com/

It's an EQ1 Emulator server that has a max level of 60 and only has the Kunark expansion active. It's setup how the game was in 1999 so it's a lot more "hardcore".

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229

Pirate101 is a MMO that has turn-based strategy combat with real time ship battles. It is for players of all ages. I am a middle age adult and I thoroughly enjoy the game. It kind of reminds me of the old school Final Fantasy battles but the graphics and moves and way better!

If you like long drawn out combat, you must give this game a try! Battles will make you think about your every move beforehand if you are like me and like to strategize your moves.

I never thought I liked turn based games until I gave Pirate101 a shot and it changed my way of thinking.

You can play the entire first storyline/quest for free, which will take about three hours and you should know by then if it is your cup of tea. It only costs $9.95 a month if you want to subscribe.

If you do decide to create an account, feel free to message me and I can give you a friend code and help you out leveling and such. I am always looking for more friends in this game and I really would like to see it get the recognition it deserves. I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 rating personally. The graphics are very good and the gameplay is very fun and addictive.