Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.COM News: Reader's Choice Awards

Voting is now open for the 2005 MMORPG.com Reader's Choice Awards. In seven categories we have nominated five or more games or companies for awards that will ultimately be decided by you.

The categories are:

• Favorite Developer
  • Best Graphics
  • Best PvE
  • Best PvP
  • Best Story
  • Most Anticipated
  • Favorite Game

Now it is up to you to cast your votes and help select the winners. Voting will end on January 6th, 2005, with winners announced shortly thereafter.

This is the first of two new annual award features we are planning. In the coming weeks keep an eye out for MMORPG.com's 2005 Editorial Awards, where we select our winners in a smaller group of categories.

Now, onto the voting!

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Dark_Mage54Dark_Mage54 Member UncommonPosts: 44

im getting an error when i click on that link. it was working before, but as soon as i logged into my account this shows up every time.

Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

An error occurred while evaluating the expression:

"#features.title[1]#  [ page #page# of #features.pages[1]# ]"

Error near line 120, column 97.

Error resolving parameter PAGE

ColdFusion was unable to determine the value of the parameter. This problem is very likely due to the fact that either:

1. You have misspelled the parameter name, or
    2. You have not specified a QUERY attribute for a CFOUTPUT, CFMAIL, or CFTABLE tag.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFMODULE), occupying document position (120:2) to (120:152) in the template file D:MMORPGSHOWFEATURE.CFM.

Date/Time: 12/26/05 21:26:28
    Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Remote Address: ###.###.###.###
    HTTP Referrer: http://mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadClass/35/loadForum/510/loadThread/62401
    Query String: loadFeature=360

-----------------------
    To Kill or Be Killed?

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Odd. I've sent this on to brighter minds :) If anyone else gets this, pipe up.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Sorry for the inconvenience all it should be fixed up and ready for you to vote now.  I will be checking this thread for more reports of issues.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• Teddy3157Teddy3157 Member Posts: 112

Kinda mad Roma Victor didnt get in on the most anticipated ::::25::

But, should be fun to see the results.

Originally posted by Teddy3157
    Kinda mad Roma Victor didnt get in on the most anticipated ::::25::
    But, should be fun to see the results.

It was tough nominating that category ;) There are several more games I wanted to nominate, but at a certain point you need to draw a line and move on. Roma Victor, the Chronicle, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes and a slew more could have easily been put in there.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Some of the choices were not ones I would have chosen but no other options I guess. But ohwell I guess(especially the last question, didn't really like that the choices are available).

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

Originally posted by Greatness
    Some of the choices were not ones I would have chosen but no other options I guess. But ohwell I guess(especially the last question, didn't really like that one).

As I said above, it is not easy nominating. However, I am very interested in hearing what changes people would have made (any why).

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• DrimliDrimli Member Posts: 21

Now I don’t want to make anyone’s head freaking explode but I am going to talk about EVE - no I am not a fanboy, part of some cult who thinks everyone ‘must try’ it, etcimage

But I think it should have been a choice for best PVP. Mainly due to the high risk of EVE PVP the corpse (can) looting, the huge wars for control of territory, etc.

For best story - SWG, huh? I must admit that I quit that game more than a year ago but story was one thing it didn’t have. The quests didn’t have any ‘story’ to them and the storyline they had going about Alderan they scraped.

They threw movie continuity out the window where it counted and were sticklers for keeping other things static under the reasoning of maintaining continuity.

I have been playing Lineage II here lately and I have been fairly impressed with the Chronicles and the story that is being developed - so I think Lineage II should take SWG’s spot on the list

Originally posted by Drimli
    Now I don’t want to make anyone’s head freaking explode but I am going to talk about EVE - no I am not a fanboy, part of some cult who thinks everyone ‘must try’ it, etcimage
    But I think it should have been a choice for best PVP. Mainly due to the high risk of EVE PVP the corpse (can) looting, the huge wars for control of territory, etc.

Any suggestions on who you would have taken out?

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• DrimliDrimli Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Lepidus

That's a hard one; maybe GW since it is not a MMORPGimage

J/K

I would have taken out COV to make room for EVE.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
  • revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Hello

Yes i have to agree that eve should have been in this catagory.  So far in my limited mmo experence the pvp has the most impact on a game. 

rev 

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

At the absence of EVE I voted DAOC as best PvP. For storyline they should have tossed SWG and included WoW, because as someone else said there aren't really any storylines in SWG.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• Storm.Storm. Member UncommonPosts: 256

Yeah I thought that the nominations were odd as well.  SWG for the best story was very strange. 

I think to better make nominations you need to state which game has the best story over the past year.....  WoW has lots of lore/story but they just don't advance it very far for example.  In that case then it wouldn't make that cut.  A lot of the lore is just kind of thrown out there and you're supposed to accept it.

WoW probably should have been nominated for PvP... just an interesting one to leave out as well.

Turbine should not have been listed as a favorite developer/company.  Hell, even Sony has done more to try and save its games than Turbine has.  Codemasters may have been a better choice for their ambition.

Watch DDO to have initial big sales and then flop.

I like the "visual" category, but with this I would have said with regards to content released in the past year.  Re-used textures, models, etc, should make a game lose nomination in that category.

Most enjoyable PVE - once again, should have resulted from content released this year. 

For example, the fairly innovative fights in World of Warcraft really stand out.  Whereas the new zones released in FFXI would stand out for it.

MMO most looked forward too should just be wide open to anyting supported on this site.

Next year, do the "worst categories" as well.  They are critical to making change happen with game development.  Also include  "least innovation" and "most repetitive" as categories.

Storm,

Thank you for your comments. One thing, most of these categories were directly based on things that happened in the last calendar year, simply those games you like that aspect of the most this year. For example, you could say that L2 did nothing major to its graphics this year. Does that diminish their quality? No. Thus, they were nominated.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• OrigigiNomadOrigigiNomad Member Posts: 91

I agree with Teddy about not including Roma Victor under most anticipated games. I know there's a lot of them and you could've easily put The Chronicle, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes there but you must understand that Roma Victor is a revolutionary MMORPG unlike 90% of the games that are coming and that it has the biggest community unlike any planned MMORPG which they didn't win over because of a franchise or a famous license.

I don't wanna say Huxley is a bad game but a MMORPG which focuses on PvP, trade skills, roleplaying, single and gigantic player world (which all should be and are in my opinion essences of any MMORPG - hence massive roleplaying) should earn the nomination before any other hybrid like Huxley (MMORPG-FPS).

Well it's too late now and I still can't see how someone could neglect a game like Roma Victor but I'm guessing it's all about marketing and things like that and since RedBedlam is neither famous nor putting any funds into marketing it shouldn't be a great surprise.

P.S.: There's a typo on the last page of the poll where it says about this thread and email. It says the ending date is January 6th, 2005 and not 2006.

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Voted mostly for WOW - The game I actually hate.

But this was a sad year for MMO's - The year that should have changed all to next gen , but instead returned it to "same ol' safe"

WOW at least is the only game listed with real good production value. Although not original or innovative at all. The boys at Blizz did a good work in repeating the lessons.

Well except at customer support where Blizzard is marked ALL TIME LOW company that really DOES NOT care about their customers at all! (maybe because they have so many?)

Lastly,

Voted Warhammer as most anticipated - although i think it will come out in 2-3 years (at least)

But as we MMORPGers say " Better late than Vaporware" image   

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

There where not near enough choice for what game you enjoyed most in 2005.

*City of Heroes, Dark age of Camelot, EVE, Guild Wars and WoW

That was it??? I don't see how this award can accurately reflect the choice of MMORPG's. In fact, many key games where left out of many categories.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

That was fun, although I felt some games belonged in the 2004 category. 2005 has been a declining year for some of them, and if they get votes then it will be because of past glory and not exactly what happened in 2005. DaoC (and I am a big fan of this game and its company), SWG and Anarchy Online might have been valid in some categories, but not as many as they had, considering their age and their declining numbers. EVE on the other hand, a game of the same age, is still growing and do fit into the 2005 category since it had a (very) active history this year.

The other three games only highlights has been their "Free trial" boosts, not really a reason to call them "Games of 2005"

Would have opened up room for a better selection this year. And believe me, if we talk "All time achievements" I would have named both Mythic and Anarchy Online, they are two of my favorites in MMO history. Just not 2005...

Just 2 cents and a cookie

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

This is a splendid idea, keep up the good work guys.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

SWG is a Sandbox game, which means alot of the content including the story is made by you.  Having said that, there are plenty of quests to do if thats what you enjoy and the Trials of Obi-Wan expansion included some pretty immersive quests to do.  The new lvl 1-30 quests also add a pretty cool story to the game :)

You are creating the story of your character in the Star Wars universe, whether he/she is someone who goes out and kills Krayts for a living or crafts armour and sells it on a merchant image  You pick where it starts and you pick how it ends up and how you get there.

On the topic of the poll, was kinda disapointed that there were only 4 or so options for best fun or what ever the final category was :(  What if you don't find fun in those games?  It was quite a small list from the overall list you see to the left image

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

Missed Chronicles of Spellborn in the most-anticipated category and DnL lost hype BECAUSE of SoG, not before it ;)

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• Alec_FriseAlec_Frise Member Posts: 15

I'm mad ::::27::
    Saga of Ryzom have an outstanding visuals! I don't see it in this page.

• apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

well, i dont know why all the questions have 5 possible answers, and the last one has more, but i think it would have been good to have more than 5 options in some of the questions, as some people have already pointed out.

for example, i think it is very sad that A Tale in the Dessert aint got any nomination, or that EVE didnt make into the best PVP category, or City of Heroes in best pve. i think both WOW and EQ should have been in the best story question.

and of course, on the most anticipated or most wanted mmorpgs, there should be Ultima Online 2 image

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Lepidus

Guildwars. Its fun game and I own it, but its not mmorpg and pvp is instanced. PvP is most important part of eve and is what shape the eve universe. There should be more options as it feel like there is quite few games missing. For example I would have put planetside to pvp category too.