Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR isnt anything new

My first minutes in SWTOR made me think the game is something unique and original, but it turns out to be a World of Warcraft in the Star Wars universe.

You have this involving story with cutscenes and answers to choose from which put you in the light or dark side, but there is no real consequence. I have my main character Republic Gunslinger and I made a Sith Warrior just to try it out. I decided to only make  light side choices and see what happens. But nothing happens. You get a quest to kill your master, but I don't wanna kill him, he just attacks me and I can either die, leave the instance or kill him, and unless I kill him, I can't progress. I would expect that if I don't show obedience, I will be banished from the Sith world, but no... if you don't play by the rules, you just can't play the game.

I like the SWTOR story, but the whole game doesnt look amazing, its just reskinned World of Warcraft. Now I realize why people have been complaining about the game being pay to play at launch.

Even the World of Warcraft Horde isn't as evil as the Empire.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    2011 called. They want their observation back.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by tom_gore

^5 Tom beat me too it

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

if the game isnt for you why whine and dine?

cant understand ppl anylonger, maybe im getting old.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Yup, it isn't... as a matter of fact, WoW (IMHO) is actually more innovative than SWTOR.

BTW, welcome to MMORPG OP image

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Uncle_Crimbo

My first minutes in SWTOR made me think the game is something unique and original, but it turns out to be a World of Warcraft in the Star Wars universe.

You have this involving story with cutscenes and answers to choose from which put you in the light or dark side, but there is no real consequence. I have my main character Republic Gunslinger and I made a Sith Warrior just to try it out. I decided to only make  light side choices and see what happens. But nothing happens. You get a quest to kill your master, but I don't wanna kill him, he just attacks me and I can either die, leave the instance or kill him, and unless I kill him, I can't progress. I would expect that if I don't show obedience, I will be banished from the Sith world, but no... if you don't play by the rules, you just can't play the game.

I like the SWTOR story, but the whole game doesnt look amazing, its just reskinned World of Warcraft. Now I realize why people have been complaining about the game being pay to play at launch.

Even the World of Warcraft Horde isn't as evil as the Empire.

Post  like this are nothing new and boy are they getting old.  
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

This

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Yeah to reiterate what everyone else has said, saying TOR isn't new...isn't new.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by apocoluster

^5 Tom beat me too it

ChaosD1 beat us all to it, including Tom.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Yeah SWTOR has been nothing new since it launched 2 years ago, with no worthwhile updates to keep it fresh and new, which other MMOs do
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    I thoroughly enjoyed the story while leveling. I enjoyed the PvP, particularly Huttball. But once you hit 50, it's just a grind for gear like most other games. That will only hold my interest for so long. Maybe that's the plan for these game companies. Make a game that most people will only enjoy for 3-6 months and focus on attracting new players rather than retaining existing ones.
  • Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I understand what the op is saying about choice however I can't view it as a valid argument as all games that aim to tell a story have some constraints on how much freedom they can allow the player.

It would definitely be cool to not kill your master and maybe join the republic but that's a whole separate storyline entirely and would require faction switching. As much AC I would love that I am not sure that is entirely feasible in an MMO from a sheer programming stand point..... At least in any sort of way to bring in a return on their investment.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

You have this involving story with cutscenes and answers to choose from which put you in the light or dark side, but there is no real consequence. 

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Yeah SWTOR has been nothing new since it launched 2 years ago, with no worthwhile updates to keep it fresh and new, which other MMOs do

Oh this is very very very far from the truth.  They add new content every 4-6 weeks.  What other mmos can claim that?  Yeah yeah I'm sure your one of those guys that thinks it's been on the shelf since launch just collecting dust which is just a joke.  Everything  since Makeb has been worked on and added since launch.  

Your statement is 100% not accurate plain and simple sorry.

Originally posted by Kicksave321

Oh this is very very very far from the truth.  They add new content every 4-6 weeks.  What other mmos can claim that?  Yeah yeah I'm sure your one of those guys that thinks it's been on the shelf since launch just collecting dust which is just a joke.  Everything  since Makeb has been worked on and added since launch.  

sorry but something "new" is not "more of the same"

I've seen the new daily areas, nice CZ198 and Oricon, good stuff really but after all they are just daily areas, nothing "new"

and the grind for reputation? please.. 

the only "new" thing they ever added was Galactic Starfighter, which is pretty decent but really small in scope (two maps)

ok the other two new things are macrobinoculars and seeker droids, but what this game really  needs:

some major REVAMPS

engine, AI, space sim, maybe something with vehicles on planets, more open world action

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I keep on getting told adding EVE Online (ai space sim) to SWTOR is an awesome idea. What? Really? Lolwut?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by syltmacka

if the game isnt for you why whine and dine?

cant understand ppl anylonger, maybe im getting old.

Why?

With that logic, I submit this: Why praise a MMO if you think it's good? That statement has no meaning at all Especially if saying "we don't think it's good" isn't acceptable.

There is a time for praise and a time for complaint.

There is a time for spring and a time for fall.

There is a time for Peace and a time for War.

People saying a MMO is great, or good, or enjoyable is meaningless without also the People saying that they didn't like this or that, or didn't enjoy themselves. It's all a part of Debate and Discussion.... which is why this is called a "Forum".

Democracy without anything Negative is DEAD Democracy. The coin has three sides. All three matter.

With MMOs I want to read the good, the bad, AND the ugly. I can sort through all that and will be better informed for it.

Originally posted by jpnz
    I keep on getting told adding EVE Online (ai space sim) to SWTOR is an awesome idea. What? Really? Lolwut?

why is every open world sandbox MMO with sauce ships called EvE Online ? CCP must be very happy

every themepark is WoW

every sandbox is EvE

got it

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by DocBrody

You have this involving story with cutscenes and answers to choose from which put you in the light or dark side, but there is no real consequence. 

It is only Obvious once you endure it.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

All posts before mine, including yours, was agreeing with my sentiment

How can threads like these get old, when the game is getting updated? If the game does not get updated then threads like this are old.

How can threads like these get old, when the game is getting updated? If the game does not get updated then threads like this are old.

Try out Galactic Starfighter, it's a fun minigame

Oh haha you misunderstood mine and probably a few others.  I was referring to threads like this you know bashing Swtor.  Anyways you may not like your new content and updates but they do release new content every 4-6 weeks to keep the game fresh.  I'll agree not everything is always great but most the time the new content is pretty good.  

A milliom ion players a month, them making a profit seems to back up some (kind of a lot) players are sticking with it.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Seriously, the game has been out for years and you just found out that now?
    Originally posted by DocBrody

sorry but something "new" is not "more of the same"

I've seen the new daily areas, nice CZ198 and Oricon, good stuff really but after all they are just daily areas, nothing "new"

and the grind for reputation? please.. 

the only "new" thing they ever added was Galactic Starfighter, which is pretty decent but really small in scope (two maps)

ok the other two new things are macrobinoculars and seeker droids, but what this game really  needs:

some major REVAMPS

engine, AI, space sim, maybe something with vehicles on planets, more open world action

Other new things BH events new raids, new companions, new mounts (ok yes some reskinned) Ilum event, new fps.  My point was they are releasing new content every 4-6 weeks granted not everyone is going to enjoy it or like but to say they are not was incorrect.  

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Or the same ppl just bring them up in every single one of these regardless of what happens in the game. Weird how you and I have had this same conversation in another thread.