Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gear grind?

Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
Anyone know?  I've been looking for a new main MMO for some time.  I'm not particularly in the market for another vertical progression gear grind MMO.  I don't see any signs saying otherwise, but thought someone here might know better.

Comments

• N3oN667N3oN667 Member Posts: 45
    The game will essentially follow most theme park MMO's way of progressing, which is leveling to the cap and then doing dungeons/raids to advance your character, so yes Gear will be a big part of it.

Wenn nichts mehr geht
    Werd' ich ein engel sein - Für dich allein
    Und dir in jeder dunklen nacht erschein'
    Und dann fliegen wir weit weg von hier
    Wir werden uns nie mehr verlier'n

• KellthKellth Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Well this game definitely has progression... (example: raids/dungeons). But this game does offer other unique things to do.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

This game is a poster-child for a gear treadmill MMO.

In is unapologetically the premier gear treadmill MMO.

I want to like this game.  I really do.  But it's fans remind me of Vanguard fans more than anything.  With this toxic and rabid a fanbase, I have a hard time seeing it succeeding for any length of time.  Also, I don't really see any indication that the devs realize their fans are rabid, which is a bad omen... 

{ Mod Edit }

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    Anyone know?  I've been looking for a new main MMO for some time.  I'm not particularly in the market for another vertical progression gear grind MMO.  I don't see any signs saying otherwise, but thought someone here might know better.

Given what they have said about this game and how it's going to progress from solo to dungeons to raids I can't see how anyone could expect anything but a very steep gear grind with a huge power gap between the best solo earned gear and the best raid earned gear.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by udon

Given what they have said about this game and how it's going to progress from solo to dungeons to raids I can't see how anyone could expect anything but a very steep gear grind with a huge power gap between the best solo earned gear and the best raid earned gear.

And on top of that, or on the side, PvP gear :D

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by nennafir

This game is a poster-child for a gear treadmill MMO.

In is unapologetically the premier gear treadmill MMO.

I want to like this game.  I really do.  But it's fans remind me of Vanguard fans more than anything.  With this toxic and rabid a fanbase, I have a hard time seeing it succeeding for any length of time.  Also, I don't really see any indication that the devs realize their fans are rabid, which is a bad omen... 

{ Mod Edit }

Unapologetically, is one of the best parts of this game.

The devs are making a hardcore, competitive endgame from the dungeons through the raids and Pvp. This is the type of fanbase that will be attracted to such a game, you can't be surprised about that. Usually that fanbase will not pay much attention to non competitive players.....unless of course, those players step out onto the field and start complaining. Don't do that, and you will find that it's much less toxic and people are much less rabid.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

When you think about this game. Think Vanilla WOW improved with modern gameplay mechanics (GW2) and optional quests for exporer/killer/builder.

So if you are looking for themepark its great. If not , there is nothing to see here.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

Yes it will be gear based game where we progress by getting gear with a few small twists.

The Devs have said the best gr for each activity will come from that activity.  The best dungeon gear will have special dungeon stats and come from dungeons, the best raid gear will have raid stats and will come from raiding, the best PvP gear from pvp and the best solo gear from soloing.  How that will actually work in practice I do not know?

There is some other end game progression based on earning Eldar points which appears to be a form of AA's as well as some AMP points (similar to talent points) will be earned in endgame.

But with a game this far from release (7+ months) I would think most of these systems are very much subject to change.

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76

Like all quality MMOs, it has vertical progression. 

• EulampiosEulampios Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Robokapp

it's supposed to be heavily skill-based (as in et out of fire, not whatever action-combat mmos mean)...so in that sense it won't be a gear GRIND but it will be a gear PROGRESSION game.

as always gear compensates for lack of skill to some extent so...it will be a gear grind for below-average players.

Wait, BELOW-AVERAGE? Everyone is average or greater!!!. /rolls eyes.

Actually skill will not help you at all. Most of the telegraphed attacks are a death sentence if you don't evade them and bosses autoattack for a crap load just to keep your healers on their toes. 

To give you an example from the level 15 NDA release, the first boss on the level 15 adventure hits for 2500, when a tank has 5500 health and 2500 shields. The telegraph is a channelling 50% slow 2500 damage per second with no cast time. 

You need the best gear you can get in order to survive that shit. 

----------------
    We don't need a king of MMOs, we need a group of Titans so that everyone can play what suits them best.
    -Ascension08

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Straight-forward and no fluff: Yes there's gear grind and it's heavy on vertical progression. I think you'd be better off in EQN. 
  • shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail

It is sad that people have been trained to think that tiny games with 5 dungeons to repeat over and over is all that MMOs can do.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Other than the combat system it is a pretty traditional mmo. So yes there will be a treadmil/gear grind.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail

It is sad that people have been trained to think that tiny games with 5 dungeons to repeat over and over is all that MMOs can do.

It's that or PVP.  Be it 5 dungeons or 50 it really doesn't matter does it?  There has to be a carrot keeping people grouping up and doing those zones or they just move on to a different game.  I'm not saying there can't be a alternative but no one has proven it to be viable long term yet have they?

• frostguardianfrostguardian Member UncommonPosts: 7

Nothing wrong with a gear treadmill    you usually need something to work for in a game......just hope they don't let gear fall from the sky like mana.

lets see some gear gating make us work for it let it take months before anyone is geared to even get into the first raid, and months before 40 mans take down the raid. If its been 6 months since release and a guild finally downed your whole raid....id call that a good thing. then you have a second tier of raiding that will take them another 6 months to down....that's how you make a game give people something to work for every day! no more of this max lvl in 5 days geared and running raids by day 6-7 complete in under 2 week and bored before trial is even over, that's how you fail a mmo game.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Can I ask a dumb question? If you take away the gear treadmill what would you have to do at lvl cap? If you have no means to better your character what would you do? Just sit in town and RP?
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Can I ask a dumb question? If you take away the gear treadmill what would you have to do at lvl cap? If you have no means to better your character what would you do? Just sit in town and RP?

It's not a dumb question if you've only ever played theme park MMOs. For sandbox games, you pretty much live the game and have a whole load of stuff to work on aside from getting better gear.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

WildStar is the perfect example of a gear grinder and it doesn't even try to hide that fact. There are a lot of people who like that kind of stuff. Look at WoW with its millions of subscribers.

It's also the reason I will not be touching WildStar.

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Robokapp

In a sandbox he gets in a aily routine and 'lives' in it.

So basically.. has nothing to do and RPs all day long.. yeah, not cool, dungeons and dragons is WAY better for that, and real life is a better place to "hang out and live".

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Everything is the standard quest hub -- gear grind formula except with a limited hotbar and combat which is more action based.

Most of the skills including heals require the player to aim so there will be a lot more skill required than the traditional tab-target mmos.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nihilist

Everything is the standard quest hub -- gear grind formula except with a limited hotbar and combat which is more action based.

Most of the skills including heals require the player to aim so there will be a lot more skill required than the traditional tab-target mmos.

Really....

so whats with the adventure path you choose and all the dynamic things going on in the world? 

What some call gear grind, others call progression... And if there is no progression people quit playing...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NoleaderNoleader Member Posts: 6

I think what he met by Gear Grind is more along the Original WoW line of things.  Were you complete Raid X and then everyone you meet in the world must bow to you or face your unstoppable ungodly stat inflated wrath.  Very few people dislike progression or gear hunting... what gets most, like me, disinterested is when the balance of power is so great between those who raid regularly and those who don't that you almost feel like you have to live in game to keep pace.

I never minded when people had better gear then I.  I just hated it when I was playing WoW and a person in T1 set was unstoppable by all but those who had the same tier of gear.  Skill being no factor.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Noleader
    I think what he met by Gear Grind is more along the Original WoW line of things.  Were you complete Raid X and then everyone you meet in the world must bow to you or face your unstoppable ungodly stat inflated wrath.  Very few people dislike progression or gear hunting... what gets most, like me, disinterested is when the balance of power is so great between those who raid regularly and those who don't that you almost feel like you have to live in game to keep pace. I never minded when people had better gear then I.  I just hated it when I was playing WoW and a person in T1 set was unstoppable by all but those who had the same tier of gear.  Skill being no factor.

I don't think he meant it like that.

To answer the OP, from all the infos you can gather, the game will have vertical item progression and you will need it on top of being skill based, they also stated many times that they want to make the content challenging (at least the raids/dungeons).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by vtravi

Work on your realm points, or action abilities,or earning the cash that will help you nudge your gear that extra 2-3% to perfection.

What you should be using your skills, abilities and gear for at end game is sieging someone's territory, castle or space station and trying to take it away from them. (or defending yours from others)

Really, modern theme parks have stunted the development of an entire generation of gamers. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Play it..If ya dont like it just come back here rage a bit, uninstall it and sell the account.