Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else in an MMO-less lull right now?

Comments

• nothuman24nothuman24 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by nothuman24
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    Embrace the stupidity.

No but seriously, I've found that today's modern MMOs can be enjoyable when your set your brain to 'off'. It's only when you get to deep thinking that you become frustrated and bored with this and that.

Playing in a stupor is awesome, you find the stupidest things to be quite enjoyable. One time I killed ambient creatures in GW2 for almost 3 hours.

I know, I know, it sounds stupid but that's only because you're thinking. Go home tonight and load your favorite MMO. Once its started try to play without thinking. I promise you'll look at the clock, it will be 5 hours later and you'll be smiling.

When you say thinking..what do you mean exactly?

I think hes referring to cognitive thought, specifically, conscious intellectual activity. He is right btw.

I'd disagree, as most gaming is less about thought and more about action and reaction, the thinker often loses, because thinking takes time. Intellect comes into play in strategy, strategy is learning the mind of the opponent. Which leads to an inherent ability of being able to react to them without thought but instead controlled deliberate action. It's about forethought not in the moment thought. Hence why such harsh training is integral to a powerful military, and study is required of those who lead.

Let me know of an MMO that really requires this "thinking thing" though (i'd love to try one)... outside of EVE ,heat of the moment thinking is more in line with adventure gaming (puzzles)..

Bro, first lets just assume were not 10 and understand what automatic thought is (which is what that is called) and its advantages to evolutionary survival. Second, games are what you make of it. They only emphasize "action and reaction" (which is a very poor way of putting it) over "strategy" if you design the game to be like that. Third, yeah we know most games favor reflex nowadays because that was the point in the first place that you commented on. Lets not forget there are other areas of mmorpgs than just combat that have been dumbed down as well, this isn't street fighter. Sadly, I can name many older mmos (or versions of the game) that required much more strategy and foresight then they do now. Being pressured into making casual friendly, easier games is an obvious trend in the video game industry that even devs are complaining about. Financers only want to be part of games that aim at the largest audience as possible (everyone). So they make them easy enough so 12yo's with adhd can be very successful in them if they time-invest enough.

As far as your other mmos question. Try playing an older version of Lineage 2. Way way harder to play in a competitive context than Eve.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Yeah the only MMO time I'm spending right now is some GW2 when the fortnightly patches catch my interest (i.e. not this fortnight).

Playing a lot of card games - Rise of Mythos, Hearthstone beta, Hex alpha. Also been playing some Diablo 3 after a few months not touching it, because I'm so pumped for the upcoming expansion.

But yeah.. Not sure i can even see any MMORPGs on the horizon that grab me. Maybe just EQNext.
  • amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

The last MMO I was looking forward to and eventually played turned out fo be trash, FFXIV ARR.  I think I was upset so much because I loved FFXI and waited so long for this new game that I thought would be so good, yet turned out to be so very bad.  At least I didn't waste too much money on it... but yeah just seems the way these days because no mmo wants to stray from the wow formula. 

Last MMO that I liked enough to play for more than a few months was Tera, the newness of action combat kept me in the game for 6-7 months.  The boring endgame content with a recent patch killed it.

MMOS just seem to be casual affairs these days, none of them seem to be able to things you can engross yourself in anymore and they certainly don't want to move away from "you can do everything solo".

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69

I think there are many people in a lull about MMOs and I think it's mostly those who have been around for longer.  I'm sure part of it is that we are simply older and our tastes have changed.  Or maybe we're looking back extra fondly at experiences in games that can probably never be re-created.

I think parts of that are true, but I think the direction that MMO's are heading is one that tries to blend the genre with other ideas to create mass market appeal.  To me this is a losing scenario and will begin to make all games look more and more homogeneous, thus making each progressive game less remarkable.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Viper482

I am an MMO addict in between MMO's, yes I say that as if I am in between jobs or relationships.

The genre is hopeless for me right now and it seems like the next new releases are eons away. I am from the UO/EQ/Daoc generation and nothing currently out is satisfying my needs at all, I have tried them all and am still looking for that one that will do it for me. I played Warhammer, GW2, and Rift for a while, other than that everything else has been meh. I search endlessly and revisit previously played MMO's to try and spark something, but no luck.

Anyone else going through MMO withdrawal? Just a curiosity for the sake of conversation, not looking for anyone to solve this for me or tell me to go outside....I do have a life lol. I just like to supplement it with my favorite genre.

Yup, MMOs with publishers behind them have pretty much been garbage for the last 8 years. The only MMOs that have recaptured that feeling are the underfunded indie MMOs like Darkfall, Ryzom, A Tale in the Desert, freeshards, and well, the only big budget MMO to come close, Vanguard.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Haites

I think there are many people in a lull about MMOs and I think it's mostly those who have been around for longer.  I'm sure part of it is that we are simply older and our tastes have changed.  Or maybe we're looking back extra fondly at experiences in games that can probably never be re-created.

Absolutely not. My tastes are the same, but the games have been getting worse and worse. I find more enjoyment from emulated classic games that are buggy and almost broken vs newer MMOs that are all hand holding WoW clones.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Yeah for the first time in about 8 years I think I am in a bit of a lull myself. Was getting back into Lotro but the recent xpac patch where my Lore Master can one shot everything has just killed that for me. Tried Aoc again but that kept my imtrest for about 2 hours. Same with Vanguard. Generally at a loss, need something new and shinny.  Tried almost everything on the games list in release and out of ideas.  This is the first time since I got into mmorpg's where I am generally bored of almost everything. Usually I have at least one on the go, sometimes two or three. Oh well, thank goodness for Skyrim. 
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I managed to turn off my inner critic and am messing around in Dragon's Prophet. Yeah it's as on-rails as you can get but it's keeping me occupied during my free time. Just wish they'd do something about the inventory. I'm not paying a buck a row.
  • DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

Reading through this thread has made me even more sad for Vanguard. With a respectable launch and subsequent handling most of you would probably have been playing it for the past 6 years. Of course I don't know how many of you have actually tried it, but I only say this because the vast majority of comments in this thread reflect my own thoughts, and I know I greatly enjoy VG. Nothing else has really appealed much to me since.

It's still worth playing if you haven't, even if only to check it out for a bit because you bypassed it. The only real problem with it is that it's small now. Or people expecting it to have 2013 graphics in a 2007 game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by Zzulu

Yes, I used to play most MMO's but I didn't stick around for long in any of them except WoW and EVE online.

Nowadays there are no MMO's that I want to play at all

If you are like me you try every damn one of them trying to recapture that old school magic feeling, even when I do it is fleeting lol. This feels like my favorite genre, but I think maybe it is an illusion anymore.

Well, I probably would be in the same state, not playing any MMORPG's except I managed to stumble into one that did recapture that old school magic feeling.

Which isn't surprising since it is a freeshard of DAOC that is being run at a 2003 ruleset version (1.69 to be specific) so little wonder that I've found the fun again. (for 7-8 months now I think)

But left to current MMO's, if I didn't return to EVE (again) I'm really not sure what I would be playing.

Yeah, I know, the train left the station and I missed it.....

But some up and coming titles still look promising, but we'll have to wait and see how they turn out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56

I reply to a post such as this once a year or so. It's about time to do it again, I suppose.

I haven't been hardcore into any mmoish game in years. I re-subbed to Eve with the discounted price this month. Not sure why entirely since I have no plans to really play it the way it is intended...whatever that means. I'll run a few missions and probably not talk to anyone in the game. Update my skills que, but if I only play for a month that means I can train 2 or 3 things I really want, lol.

I'm hoping Star Citizen will live up to the promise; Everquest Next and the building part sounds interesting. Garriot's project might be worth checking out.

I'm playing non-mmos at the moment: Rocksmith 2014 (I used to play the guitar years ago and stopped playing; it is easing me back into it, though my fingers don't work like they used to); Fallout New Vegas (I'd somehow never played the games--it was during my marriage I guess and I missed them).

Of course, I'm truly waiting for a  SWG-Pre-CU 2 type of game. Yes, for 8 years now. Still not over it.

DCB

• BallsoutBallsout Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Eldevin

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

I've played almost every MMO to come out in the past decade. Only two captured me completely; Neocron and SW:G (original and best, of course). 

I have failed to even level cap a character on anything since, yet I still buy into the hype and hope for the best. 

Guild Wars 2 and Darkfall Unholy Wars were really the final nails in the coffin for me. I expected so much and ended up being sorely disappointed with both titles. 

I'm desperately waiting on Star Citizen and Elite : Dangerous. I'll also undoubtedly buy Wildstar, ES:O and The Repopulation. Until then, I'm lulling with you. 

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Ever since the ESO beta, I have gone back to Skyrim and am having more fun than I was with any current MMO.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by shalissar
    I managed to turn off my inner critic...

Step one. Bury the drama llama.

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273

I had the same issues as you had, played countless mmos to find that new place i could call home again, its been a difficult time these past few years to truely find a good mmo with the full package. sure some games have cool ideas they implement and carry out some of them but its always missing some soul that the old skool mmos had like EQ1/2, vanguard, shadowbane and the likes.

I recently started out again on Everquest 2  with in mind that EQnext/landmark will be comming out soon , so i thought to my self why not give it another go.

I use to play it quite allot up untill the point they went f2p with too many restrictions. i couldnt get over the fact they were charging me once again for gear unlocks and exp packs while i had all of em and paid good money for em in the time i was a full paying member.

here is the thing:

They removed the cash shop gear unlocks, released all classes and races and most of the xp packs up untill the very last one.

Im having a blast again!! the servers arent that crowded which is a minor issue if you find yourself a niche guild that helps their members but i found my home again in the massive world of Norrath and its treasures and lore.

Come join me if your intrested, perhaps make a toon together and do some adventures?

My ingame name is Aeryeanx lvl 90 assassin on the splitpaw server

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I am messing around with EVE and playing Duel of Champions (a free trading card game). The current crop of MMORPG have just been awful other than maybe TSW which unfortunately still missed on the combat.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said over and over in this thread?  Tried most of 'em, bored to tears with all of 'em, still have a faint hope of finding an mmo which will hold my attention again one day.  Waited for years for GW2.  Such anticipation, but soon got bored.  It's maybe a combination of me having changed and there not being anything available which is innovative enough to interest me.

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread, though.  It's a good feeling to realise there are a lot of us feeling the same way and to read a thread full of posts simply describing the poster's experience rather than lots of full-on ranting.  If only we had some way to tap into all the energy and creativity of the frustrated gamers here, adding a sprinkling of magic to produce a wonderful game for us all to enjoy. 

Off to try Eldevin now given the couple of positive comments here.

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Eldevin is pretty good! Got my fix and met some new people.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    I have been in an MMO-less lull state since about 2006. These online multiplayer RPG's are not MMO's I hope for a true MMO sometime.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• neosapienceneosapience Member Posts: 164

MMOs are dead because role playing is dead.

I remember immersing myself into a world and feeling like a druid, or a mage, or a mighty defender. Now days, you're just heals, or DPS or a tank. You're no longer playing a character role, you're settling for a play style. Everyone's a cookie cutter version of someone else. Exploration no longer matters, the worlds are tiny now and heavily instanced. Encounters aren't meaningful, you're either mashing 2 buttons over and over or playing 'UI Warrior Online'. Quests don't matter, they're all static and can be done without reading a single sentence. Socialization is dead, zergs have replaced parties and group content is optional.

This is what happens when the target audience shifts from role-playing nerds to 14 year old COD players.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You feel like I did at the end of 2012. I found Wushu, turned what would have been a bismal 2012 and an even worse 2013 into what is probably my most fun single year of mmorpg gaming. 

Try something different OP, and give it an honest go. You me be surprised like I was.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I've been playing Skyrim.  Before that TS2.  The last mmo I tried was Neverwinter.  

Caught it at the end of beta and felt like every comment in the tech forum was falling on deaf ears.  It's the straw that broke the camel's back.  I'm tired of telling company's their game needs fixed and they pay less than no attention at all.  Not to mention I have to compete on the forums with trolls and idiots so even if a dev looked at the forums, which is highly unlikely, it would take him/her a month to discover three intelligent posters.

That's just to fix glitches.  Every mmo I play I want to rewrite into my own version.  It just gets to be to much.  

I have Minecraft alone on my PC because I respect the creativity.  Family members play and love the shiz out of it but it's not my cup of tea in the role playing venue.  And yeah, I think of Minecraft as an MMO, being as it has some great pvp worlds built by players.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by Haites

Absolutely not. My tastes are the same, but the games have been getting worse and worse. I find more enjoyment from emulated classic games that are buggy and almost broken vs newer MMOs that are all hand holding WoW clones.

Well I know that there is no way that I could sit and play for 20+ hours straight any more.  I have no desire to go back to the grind-it-out style that many old games entailed.  I still love the ideas of group participation, meaningful quests, true community, and compelling lore.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with one point though...that in order to find a game that you actually like, you have to play 1-offs, old games, emulated games, and the like.

The question is: Why should those of us who helped to create this genre have to settle for poor quality titles and WoW-clones?