Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greatest Potential, Wasted

stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

With a universe so large, widespread, and well-known such as The Lord of the Rings, I can't help but feel disappointed with the current state of the IP in gaming. It is, perhaps, the most critically acclaimed fantasy tale in all of written history, yet the games based off this intellectual property are but mere dots in a vast landscape vehemently dominated by other, far more successful products. After reading the books and viewing the movies multiple times, it is with great sadness that I perceive its current situation, and can't help but wonder what it could achieve if it were to fall into the hands of a far more ambitious team.

I do not intend to convey resentment or anger towards The Lord of the Rings Online. It is its own game, bearing its merits and flaws. Yet, the image on the horizon of what a Lord of the Rings game could truly achieve perplexes me to wonder how such a vision has yet to come to fruition. Turbine's MMO does not face the most comfortable of situations, evidently, and as with all things, it will one day come to an end, but somehow I do not foresee such a conclusion arriving in glorious fashion, worthy of the game's title.

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

With a universe so large, widespread, and well-known such as Star Wars the Old Republic, I can't help but feel disappointed with the current state of the IP in gaming. It is, perhaps, the most critically acclaimed Sci Fi movie in history, yet the games based off this intellectual property are but mere dots in a vast landscape vehemently dominated by other, far more successful products. After reading the books and viewing the movies multiple times, it is with great sadness that I perceive its current situation, and can't help but wonder what it could achieve if it were to fall into the hands of a far more ambitious team.

I do not intend to convey resentment or anger towards Star Wars the Old Repiblic. It is its own game, bearing its merits and flaws. Yet, the image on the horizon of what a Star Wars game could truly achieve perplexes me to wonder how such a vision has yet to come to fruition. Biowares' MMO does not face the most comfortable of situations, evidently, and as with all things, it will one day come to an end, but somehow I do not foresee such a conclusion arriving in glorious fashion, worthy of the game's title.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Well, this game used to be an ambitious sandbox game called Middle Earth Online, that focused on simulating life in Middle Earth.

Then WoW got big, Turbine got scared, fired most of their devs, hired devs fresh out of college, and in 9 months fast tracked this game into LotRO, instanced quest grinding linear game with boring mechanics and atmosphere ruined by invisible walls, instances, and bad gameplay. The only good features in the games are relics from Middle Earth Online.

It's a shame what happened and I wish another company could get a shot with it. But so long as a publisher is behind it, we'll never get a good MMO in Middle Earth.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

The same thing happened to the Star Trek ip and possibly Neverwinter and its world.

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Well, this game used to be an ambitious sandbox game called Middle Earth Online, that focused on simulating life in Middle Earth.

Then WoW got big, Turbine got scared, fired most of their devs, hired devs fresh out of college, and in 9 months fast tracked this game into LotRO, instanced quest grinding linear game with boring mechanics and atmosphere ruined by invisible walls, instances, and bad gameplay. The only good features in the games are relics from Middle Earth Online.

It's a shame what happened and I wish another company could get a shot with it. But so long as a publisher is behind it, we'll never get a good MMO in Middle Earth.

Here is a link  to which you speak.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/21/the-game-archaeologist-and-the-what-ifs-middle-earth-online/

Be sure to read the last paragraph.

Still, calling Lotro a  greatest wasted potential   is stretching it a bit much.   The game is fine on its own and if someone wants to try making a Middle Earth Online then more power to them.

Originally posted by Flex1

The same thing happened to the Star Trek ip and possibly Neverwinter and its world.

Yes, you could insert those games into the OP's post as well as pretty much any game and still nothing changes.   It is still just the eloquently misguided opinion of one person.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Hers a link a link to which you speak.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/21/the-game-archaeologist-and-the-what-ifs-middle-earth-online/

Still calling Lotro a  greatest wasted potential   is stretching it a bit much.   The game is fine on its own and if someone wants to try making a Middle Earth Online then more power to them.

The title does not refer to LotRO, per se, but to the fact that games based off The Lord of the Rings have thus far been unable to fulfill the grandeur and splendor of such a rich and powerful IP. That, in my opinion, conveys to the greatest waste of potential, at least in the fantasy genre of games.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Simply put , one media doesnt translate good into another media.

You say that LOTR films are good. But as Tolkien fan that first time read LOTR 25 years before the movies , and than many times over. I say that movies are far away from doing justice to the book material. Even insulting it.

And that is film , which falls into same narative family with books.

So how can you than give justice to it in a game, and not only a game but themepark MMO ?

I think that Turbine did wonderful job for what its worth.

In fact its best adaptation of story to a game in all gaming. And i challenge you to dispute this.

However its a game and it has to adhere to gameplay , technical limitations , investors ... etc.

This is why a material made for games works best for games.

Which goes same for any media to media adaptation.

Originally posted by stealthbr

Hers a link a link to which you speak.

Still calling Lotro a  greatest wasted potential   is stretching it a bit much.   The game is fine on its own and if someone wants to try making a Middle Earth Online then more power to them.

The title does not refer to LotRO, per se, but to the fact that games based off The Lord of the Rings have thus far been unable to fulfill the grandeur and splendor of such a rich and powerful IP. That, in my opinion, conveys to the greatest waste of potential, at least in the fantasy genre of games.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Unfortunately Lotro is the game we have now, and it is unlikely that anyone will be attempting to achieve that potential in the near future.     Similarly with the Star Wars IP as well, as many feel after SWG, Swtor was a case of wasted potential also.

Still it makes little sense to me to bemoan the things that might have been.    I could have been rich if only I was born with millions of dollars.   Sadly it was not meant to be. 

Forgot to add:   Nicely stated post Lobotomist, I quite agree.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

With a universe so large, widespread, and well-known such as The Lord of the Rings, I can't help but feel disappointed with the current state of the IP in gaming. It is, perhaps, the most critically acclaimed fantasy tale in all of written history, yet the games based off this intellectual property are but mere dots in a vast landscape vehemently dominated by other, far more successful products. After reading the books and viewing the movies multiple times, it is with great sadness that I perceive its current situation, and can't help but wonder what it could achieve if it were to fall into the hands of a far more ambitious team.

I do not intend to convey resentment or anger towards The Lord of the Rings Online. It is its own game, bearing its merits and flaws. Yet, the image on the horizon of what a Lord of the Rings game could truly achieve perplexes me to wonder how such a vision has yet to come to fruition. Turbine's MMO does not face the most comfortable of situations, evidently, and as with all things, it will one day come to an end, but somehow I do not foresee such a conclusion arriving in glorious fashion, worthy of the game's title.

There is exactly no single fact in this statement to back up your opinion..

if ever there was one MMO close to the lore and stories of an IP its this game, everything (exceot the runekeepr)  is close to the lore.. For a seven year old game the landscapes are astonishing in beauty. 

I have grown to become accustomed to the combat and espescially when playing my warden its awesome.

So whenever calling a game a waste, you ought to back it up by facts... and not just throw in a general feeling based on your personal state of mind.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

You say that LOTR films are good. But as Tolkien fan that first time read LOTR 25 years before the movies , and than many times over. I say that movies are far away from doing justice to the book material. Even insulting it.

And that is film , which falls into same narative family with books.

So how can you than give justice to it in a game, and not only a game but themepark MMO ?

In fact its best adaptation of story to a game in all gaming. And i challenge you to dispute this.

However its a game and it has to adhere to gameplay , technical limitations , investors ... etc.

This is why a material made for games works best for games.

Which goes same for any media to media adaptation.

The post was not meant to focus on LotRO's technicalities, for I am no game developer and do not know exactly what makes an MMO tick, but to regard upon the current state of The Lord of the Rings intellectual property within the gaming sphere. The monumental success of both novel and movie renditions draws my attention to its situation and leaves me to ponder upon the possibilities that come with such an IP.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It feels like you are in middle earth though, so in my opinion they did a good job.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

The only really cool MMO based on a movie license is Age of Conan.

The Matrix was interesting but bugged as hell.

SWG was cool but also too buggy and ahead of its time, therefore lacked in the technical aspects.

Neither LOTRO nor SWTOR are my cup of tea.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There is exactly no single fact in this statement to back up your opinion..

if ever there was one MMO close to the lore and stories of an IP its this game, everything (exceot the runekeepr)  is close to the lore.. For a seven year old game the landscapes are astonishing in beauty. 

I have grown to become accustomed to the combat and espescially when playing my warden its awesome.

So whenever calling a game a waste, you ought to back it up by facts... and not just throw in a general feeling based on your personal state of mind.

It's not like you are making a point with your post either, since you ignore 99% of the lore breaking changes except the "runekeeper".

At least Peter Jackson, while he indeed added elves to the battle of Helm's Depth, didn't make them charge the enemy on giant goats. And he didn't make a bunch of rag tag nobodies enter Orthanc and challenge Sarumane in his very home (and walk away alive to tell about it).

See this post and my previous post. While it was decent at the beginning, it's getting worse every new patch and expansion.

I did play it until Moria ( and some time with Moria ) - What happened after F2P switch is different topic.

But If anyone ever say something about failure to bring a cross the lore to a game world. Just let them start as a hobbit in Shire.

Nuff said.

Here is a link  to which you speak.

Still, calling Lotro a  greatest wasted potential   is stretching it a bit much.   The game is fine on its own and if someone wants to try making a Middle Earth Online then more power to them.

You are confused, but it is understandable. A lot of people who weren't there get confused.

Sierra's Middle Earth Online is not the same project as Turbine's Middle Earth Online.

Sierra's project ended sometime around 1999. Turbine then started Middle Earth Online, using the Asheron's Call 2 engine, and renamed this project Lord of the Rings Online about 9 months before going into beta.

The massive pre release community got fractured between the now enforced EU US servers, the developers we built a relationship were shuffled off to DDO or fired, and the entire community, which was strong and large enough to put together a giant fan gathering in Providence, auctioning off movie props and such... vanished. LotRO never really recovered, never having a great population or reputation, but not a bad one either.

And if you don't call taking the original fantasy IP, with the richest lore and setting, and turning it into a shallow and generic WoW clone a waste, then I don't know what is.

Their art department did a great job.

But all the game mechanics are tired, outdated, and boring. Their world is fractured, instanced, and full of invisible walls. The best part of Middle Earth (exploring it) isn't even possible in this quest grind adventure based game. You can't live in Middle Earth, you have to quest through little instances of it. And that, is the opposite of a "wonderful job".

I did play it until Moria ( and some time with Moria ) - What happened after F2P switch is different topic.

But If anyone ever say something about failure to bring a cross the lore to a game world. Just let them start as a hobbit in Shire.

Nuff said.

I won't disagree (The Shire is one of the best if not the best area of the game), but this ends at approx. level 15

I'm not sure I would even give it that much credit. The Shire has some great lore related stuff like the Bounders.

But then they start to shatter the lore by having you fight monsters in the rich sector of the Shire. You can't actually travel down the Brandywine (which the hobbits did in the book) and you start fighting bandits, reskinned wolves, slimes, slugs, and other trash mobs just hanging out that shouldn't be where they are. Cap it off with giant mountains ringing most of the Shire, with invisible walls, and you have your most immersive part of the game shattered. Not to mention, other than the bounders quests, the quest text doesn't have any impact on what you're doing in the game world. You're still just fighting THE SAME WOLVES that shouldn't be there.

RANGERS protected The Shire, not Bounders.

And, as a pet peeve, I preferred the original Shire music they had when the game was called Middle Earth Online. Then it became a tavern song in DDO, and then became the music for Tom Bombadil's house.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Personally I loved this game to no end prior to Moria. Once Moria came out with barred instances (I forget the name of the gear now but you had to have a certain level of it to do the next tier of instances) I fell a little less in love. Then Skirmishes came as a "secondary thing to do" but you could tell it was a focus point and I fell a little more out of love.

I definitely think it could have been better but I don't think it was completely wasted that's for sure. Greatest 2 years of my gaming life was Lotro =)

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

During Moria, it dropped to average, at best, Moria being brighter and more colorful than a disco nightclub on a Saturday night... not to mention the addition of Sith Lords... err sorry, Runekeepers, and seeing elves riding giant goats all over the place.

After that, each new expansion except maybe Mirkwood made the game less LOTR and more "generic fantasy MMORPG". The last outrage was a random band of adventurers entering Orthanc, and surviving (and even besting!) Saruman in his own home.

This game is no longer LOTR, no longer Tolkien. It's a cash shop driven money sucker trying to empty as many wallets as possible before finally closing down.

That in a nutshell was basically why I left.  If you go back and read the earlier PR on LOTRO, they were very careful to say they planned a game world that was faithful to Tolkien's vision.  They did a great early job - the Shire was wondrous.

I agree it would have been tough sticking to their guns.  But the WOW-style is like a spreading plague with its Pandas and LOTRO caught the virus and started throwing in the afore-mentioned Dwarven Sith Lords, etc.  I fully expect before the game ends players will all have their own personal Eagle or Nazgul mount (special this week, half-off in the cash-shop!).

Originally posted by Ehliya

During Moria, it dropped to average, at best, Moria being brighter and more colorful than a disco nightclub on a Saturday night... not to mention the addition of Sith Lords... err sorry, Runekeepers, and seeing elves riding giant goats all over the place.

After that, each new expansion except maybe Mirkwood made the game less LOTR and more "generic fantasy MMORPG". The last outrage was a random band of adventurers entering Orthanc, and surviving (and even besting!) Saruman in his own home.

This game is no longer LOTR, no longer Tolkien. It's a cash shop driven money sucker trying to empty as many wallets as possible before finally closing down.

That in a nutshell was basically why I left.  If you go back and read the earlier PR on LOTRO, they were very careful to say they planned a game world that was faithful to Tolkien's vision.  They did a great early job - the Shire was wondrous.

I agree it would have been tough sticking to their guns. 

Why would it have been tough? I suppose they didn't see the writing on the wall yet that copying WoW is how you end up with a stagnant game... But they screwed over their veteran devs and their fans by switching to WoW clone at the last minute and totally changing the mission statement.

Fun fact, The Shire, the best part of the game to most people, was the area most focused on during the sandbox era development of Middle Earth Online.

When I said all the best parts of LotRO were relics of MEO, I wasn't kidding. The Shire, the music, the deeds, the morale system vs health.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    There is no other game that comes close to having the immersion of books and movies put into a game.  What other game can you ride from one iconic landmark (from the shire to Rivendell or Isengard to Helms Deep for example) without load screens?  What other games has a better epic story (Besides Swtor) .  The Meo crew luckily smaller than swg crew but they are still bitter lotro didn't turn into their precious game they dreamed about.  Lotro has not been wasted not even close if it was it would not be around releasing content continuing this epic journey 6+yrs later.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It is Turbine. What did you expect ? It still amazes me that people actually think Turbine is actually good at what they do. They are an average developer at best in my opinion. Whoever granted them the rights to this ip should have their heads checked. I love Lotr and giving the rights to Turbine was a huge fail. It is really disappointing.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Their art department did a great job.

But all the game mechanics are tired, outdated, and boring. Their world is fractured, instanced, and full of invisible walls. The best part of Middle Earth (exploring it) isn't even possible in this quest grind adventure based game. You can't live in Middle Earth, you have to quest through little instances of it. And that, is the opposite of a "wonderful job".

What? I've played the game for a long time, and I spent a lot of time exploring Middle Earth. I'd also like to know where these 'invisible walls' are, as I've only come across maybe a half dozen of them throughout the entire world.

Unless you're going to try to tell me that I imagined getting lost in the Trollshaws while exploring off the beaten 'quest path'. Same happened in Goblin-Town.

For a themepark, the game is probably the best interpretation of Middle Earth which will ever be made. Same goes for the films; despite their flaws Peter Jackson did a wonderful job bringing Middle Earth to fans old and new, and I doubt they can be done any better w/o making them 8-10 hours long apiece.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

That hit one of my many hot buttons.

Having read LotR annually for close to 40 years now, I can definitively say the book is vastly different from the films.  The books were written in a (now) older literary style, heavy narrative with a limited omniscient point of view and limited dialog (less than 10% of the books are dialog).  There were scattered female characters, Galadriel and Eowyn being the two most prominent.  Much of Arwen's information was either in the appendix (not the story proper), or in related works (Silmarillion).  A good portion of Arwen's appearances in the movies was that of other characters in the books (mostly Glorfindel), and done in order to add a female character to the first movie.  Many early scenes were omitted (Fatty Bolger, Farmer Maggot, and Tom Bombadil) for brevity, replaced with antics of Merry and Pippin at Bilbo's birthday party (both characters would have been young -- Merry 19 and Pippin 11 at the time).  The movie conveniently ends soon after Aragorn's wedding, truncating the entire 'return to the Shire' ending.

And we'll all be happier if I don't get started on how Gimli was transformed from a solemn, dour dwarven warrior into a vehicle for comic relief.

Anyway, Lobotomist's point about translating from one media to another (book to film, or book to game, or movie to game) is very apt.  Something is always going to be lost in the process.  LotRO is about as good a game as one can reasonably expect and still maintain some semblance to the novel it derives from.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Kicksave321
    There is no other game that comes close to having the immersion of books and movies put into a game.  What other game can you ride from one iconic landmark (from the shire to Rivendell or Isengard to Helms Deep for example) without load screens? 

Considering they own the license to the game, no one. So that isn't exactly praise. Too bad you can't ACTUALLY go to all those locations because most of them are quest locked, forcing you to grind. Some even insta kill you if you haven't done the right quests. No, I'm not talking about mob agro, I mean the game will just slay you and be like "Hey, don't go here until you buy the level 50 premium quest"