Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uninstalled, why because it's a gender lock game.

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Download , got to character select, logged out and uninstalled, why because it's a gender lock game.

I don't know about you people but I play RPG games to immerse myself into the world and in most cases I like to make a bad ass characters that reflects me as if I was in the universe, I can't get into a character that is a female because I am not.

Maybe i'm just an old school Alpha male and maybe times have changed but I play MMO's any game for that matter with character creation male, too bad because this game looked pretty deep.

Call me when they remove gender locking.

Comments

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Fun game, Still think you should try it but then your choice.
  • Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

it's not really gender locked. your giant barbarian type murader can easily cast spell. your flimsy little witch can wield a giant 2handed sword. 

Anyone can use any abiltiy/spell. Not really gender locked. Your emotions are running a bit too high. jumping to conclusions isn't good :)

• InfinityDInfinityD Member Posts: 33
    Alright. wait by your phone.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Fun game.  Your loss.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Warjin

Download , got to character select, logged out and uninstalled, why because it's a gender lock game.

I don't know about you people but I play RPG games to immerse myself into the world and in most cases I like to make a bad ass characters that reflects me as if I was in the universe, I can't get into a character that is a female because I am not.

Maybe i'm just an old school Alpha male and maybe times have changed but I play MMO's any game for that matter with character creation male, too bad because this game looked pretty deep.

lol

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Chuckanar

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Looking at their website (not playing the game, yet), how does a player choose an Intelligence based male character? Or a Strength based female character? Or a Dexterity based male character?

Sure your brute can cast spells, but in the character creation, ONLY a male can be solely based on strength.

Or m I missing something? (It's downloading now :) )

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Then you're looking at Path of Exile wrong. The characters you pick aren't generic classes, they are supposed to be people with origins and specific reasons for being exiled to the continent. Once you create them, you're free to move in whatever direction you want. 

The part about female characters is funny though. "I like to immerse myself in an RPG, so long as I don't have to actually think about my character being anything other than myself in a suit of armor."

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Right there with ya, i did just about the same thing heh.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

how can you be a bad ass character that reflects you in real life if you so sensitve? sounds a little *cough* hurt feelings to me.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30

PoE is very complex and choosing a class essentially means just choosing a starting point in the very large passive skill point map.

That "map" actually is far from being restrictive and binding characters to a certain attribute. Noone really aims to accumulate attributes at all, cause they have more of a little supportive funtion towards the stuff you decide to do in that game. No one aims to have a chestplate with high strength for example, cause the benefits of strength itself are outweighted by the stats damage and hp which strength contributes a bit towards too.

But to be a bit more specified, I want to give examples what u can do in this game.

There are a ton of supportive spells for every class and playstyle - like auras, short duration buffs and curses. Everyone can choose freely out of it.

For offense players often decide between spells and attacks. Spells can never miss, but are a bit more skill dependend while attacks scale a bit more easily with gear, but can miss.

There is an option for every class to use attacks efficiently and they continue to add tons of that stuff on a weekly basis. This week a new attack for using wands (witch area of the tree) will be released for example.

3 classes have easy and intended access to spell supporting playstyles, that are templars (west), witches (north) and assasins (east). The scion in the middle of the map has no restrictions at all and can be developed towards everything literally, combining passive qualities other classes can hardly combine because of her allocation in the map.

In this game you can lay traps and mines, detonate them, summon underlings, throw your weapon, play dual wield like a whirlwind, stun, freeze, burn or shock your opponents, shoot countless arrows in no time, summon totems who do the work for you, playing an embodied bomb which explodes if it's charged, you can rely on tons of life or discard any life and play solely with an energy shield. You can be a buffer for everyone or just rely on your own. You can shift whole paradigms by choosing keystones who change your character mechanics completely. Interactions chosen wisely decide about the outcome.

You can alter your skill at will with mofications. You can add projectiles, make them faster, slower, let them pierce or not. You can make an aoe larger or tinier, you can add different types of damage or stick to just one and specialize in that.

You can alter your items with found orbs any way you want back and forth trying to get a better result or just trade with other players using  orbs as desired currency.

If people are hesitant to play this game they often say they are just a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities and dont know where to start or what to choose. There is a simple hint for beginners. Every skill gems has some catch words written on it, right beyond it's name. They describe which interactions are possible with that skill. If it says "fire, projectile, aoe" it means it interacts with everything which modifies those parameters, through passive skill points, gear or skill modifications called support gems.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Seems like a legit reason to pass up on a fun game you might enjoy.

Cause we all know it really matters what your avatar looks like, that's what is important.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    What in the.... are you serious OP?
  • ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

I'm gonna go with, probably not.

A) It's a game, if you're an "old-school alpha male" then it's unlikely you would really want to "RP In character".

B) I almost laughed out loud when you said you wanted to create a bad-ass character that reflects you....even typing it I couldn't help but chuckle.

Sadly I bought into the troll and posted, but honestly if you don't like it just move along there are PLENTY of other games to play.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Looking at their website (not playing the game, yet), how does a player choose an Intelligence based male character? Or a Strength based female character? Or a Dexterity based male character?

Sure your brute can cast spells, but in the character creation, ONLY a male can be solely based on strength.

As outlined above me your starting character is really just your starting point on the tree.  You can develop ANY way you like and since most good builds are all over the tree it really doesn't hinder you much (in fact sometimes the best places to start for a str-based character are in the int-based areas as you'll be hitting nodes over there later on).

While I don't play that often now it is a really fun game, especially for the price.  My only gripe with the game is that it's more meant to continually refine your character by rerolling, so it's kind of better to always play hardcore just for the fun of it.  There's little to nothing to do once you go through the 3 difficulty levels and even going through after the first time is really just like any other "action-combat" game where you just repeat your same maps.  Granted they have the higher level maps that are essentially drops later on...but it's hard to rationalize grinding for little or no reason.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by DamonVile

lol

Is that not the reason to play a "Role Playing Game"?, To immerse yourself in a character role within a game, whether you like to play a female character as a male or not, I just like my characters to connected with me as if I was that character and because I don't have breast I enjoy playing a male because I really don't have any fantasies of growing a pair like some males,  "Just Saying lol"

RPG's are not like your average video games where you have a character you play, a RPG to me is to progress a character, get immersed and enjoy the universe, I hate to say this because I don't know you but if you don't understand this then you are not playing MMORPG's the way they are meant to be played IMO, you are missing out if you approach a role playing game any other way.

The whole racing to the end space baring all the story text to get the best gear first just so you can stand in the player towns or lobbies to flex my EGO is not why I play MMORPG's, I'm a 36 year old man that plays MMORPGS to get away from reality for fun not a 16 year old kid stroking my epeen inside of a online video game, I got real life for that lol, see what I'm saying?

Also please don't take my reply to your post as any sort of disrespect I just chose your post at pretty much random, so it could of been anyone.

lol

Is that not the reason to play a "Role Playing Game"?, To immerse yourself in a character role within a game, whether you like to play a female character as a male or not, I just like my characters to connected with me as if I was that character and because I don't have breast I enjoy playing a male because I really don't have any fantasies of growing a pair like some males,  "Just Saying lol"

RPG's are not like your average video games where you have a character you play, a RPG to me is to progress a character, get immersed and enjoy the universe, I hate to say this because I don't know you but if you don't understand this then you are not playing MMORPG's the way they are meant to be played IMO, you are missing out if you approach a role playing game any other way.

The whole racing to the end space baring all the story text to get the best gear first just so you can stand in the player towns or lobbies to flex my EGO is not why I play MMORPG's, I'm a 36 year old man that plays MMORPGS to get away from reality for fun not a 16 year old kid stroking my epeen inside of a online video game, I got real life for that lol, see what I'm saying?

Also please don't take my reply to your post as any sort of disrespect I just chose your post at pretty much random, so it could of been anyone.

Unfortunately you contradict yourself...anyone who "can" stroke their ego, or is as much of an "alpha male" as you try to portray they don't have ANY need to "get away from reality" as you put it.  I assure you, I know this intimately.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

lol

You keep tossing out these little, gems... of total nonsense. No it isn't why I play a mmorpg ( or arpgs ). I'm huge and awesome in real life, I don't need to pretend to be it in a game ( ha ). ARPGs have about a full napkins worth of story in them. Then you go through it again...and then again. They do have months and months of farming, and testing of different character builds and other things that have nothing at all to do with dressing up like your huge awesome character and pretending like you saved the world.

If I'm doing it wrong...why do they make the games to appeal to me and not you ? I didn't uninstall after 5 seconds. I've been enjoying the game with a few friends for weeks....and it has nothing at all to do with epeen, being an ( insert age) kid or standing around in town to impress strangers. That's just a lame stereotype "people" use to justify their own dumbass opinion.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by ego13

Looking at their website (not playing the game, yet), how does a player choose an Intelligence based male character? Or a Strength based female character? Or a Dexterity based male character? Sure your brute can cast spells, but in the character creation, ONLY a male can be solely based on strength.Or m I missing something? (It's downloading now :) )
    As outlined above me your starting character is really just your starting point on the tree.  You can develop ANY way you like and since most good builds are all over the tree it really doesn't hinder you much (in fact sometimes the best places to start for a str-based character are in the int-based areas as you'll be hitting nodes over there later on).While I don't play that often now it is a really fun game, especially for the price.  My only gripe with the game is that it's more meant to continually refine your character by rerolling, so it's kind of better to always play hardcore just for the fun of it.  There's little to nothing to do once you go through the 3 difficulty levels and even going through after the first time is really just like any other "action-combat" game where you just repeat your same maps.  Granted they have the higher level maps that are essentially drops later on...but it's hard to rationalize grinding for little or no reason.
    So basically, character creation consists of choosing which of the 7 unchangeable character models the player likes best.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Entropy14

Seems like a legit reason to pass up on a fun game you might enjoy.

Cause we all know it really matters what your avatar looks like, that's what is important.

It actually is! It´s the Whole point of playing RPG´s. /shrug

Originally posted by ego13

Looking at their website (not playing the game, yet), how does a player choose an Intelligence based male character? Or a Strength based female character? Or a Dexterity based male character? Sure your brute can cast spells, but in the character creation, ONLY a male can be solely based on strength.

As outlined above me your starting character is really just your starting point on the tree.  You can develop ANY way you like and since most good builds are all over the tree it really doesn't hinder you much (in fact sometimes the best places to start for a str-based character are in the int-based areas as you'll be hitting nodes over there later on).

While I don't play that often now it is a really fun game, especially for the price.  My only gripe with the game is that it's more meant to continually refine your character by rerolling, so it's kind of better to always play hardcore just for the fun of it.  There's little to nothing to do once you go through the 3 difficulty levels and even going through after the first time is really just like any other "action-combat" game where you just repeat your same maps.  Granted they have the higher level maps that are essentially drops later on...but it's hard to rationalize grinding for little or no reason.

So basically, character creation consists of choosing which of the 7 unchangeable character models the player likes best.

More or less....you can choose based on what nodes you want to hit first, or you can plan it all out and realistically make it work from almost any starting position.  While the tree looks rather daunting and large at first it's usually only 4-6 nodes to move clear to the other side.  Like I said, the game is really just about rerolling, once you realize that and how fast you can level it really doesn't matter where you start.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

fwiw, anyone who picks stat based nodes (thats what the things in the passive are called) unless absolutely necessary is playing wrong.

The character I got the farthest on HC (no deaths) was level 81, and he was a Marauder who yielded a wand and a spirit shield, and focused heavily on auras and energy shield

POE lets you do whatever you wish, and you will unlikely fill out the entire tree anyways.  Pick a guy you like, and build it how you like.

for new players, go Templar if you want a male, take the 40% mana regen which is the 1st node, and pile up the elemental damage, as a caster.

as an Alpha player of POE, I have heard the devs many times, saying they will eventually make all classes available thru the shop as a way to generate revenue.  They wanted to get ou the 7th class first though

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

XD YEP sure old school definitely especially  because you're ALPHA MALE xD

even Diablo 2 had same problem and a lot of modern game  Vindictus  and other just don't remember them

Remember I'm to sexy melody ? ))))

I'm too alpha for this game to alpha for this game

I'm going to leave it

I'm too alpha for my shirt

Too alpha for my shirt

So alpha it hurts

And I'm to alpha for my land

Too alpha for my  land NewYork and Japan

I'm too alpha for your party

Too alpha for your party No way I disco dancing

I am alpha you know what I mean?

And I'm too alpha for my hat

Too alpha for my hat

What you think about that ?

I'm too alpha for this game too alpha for this game to alpha for this  game

And I'm to ALPHA for this song !

• banditoabanditoa Member UncommonPosts: 13

Not very big on using your imagination, are you?

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

PoE doesnt really seem like a "Role Playing" friendly game, its an ARPG, you level up a character and kill things for loot.  I dont recall anyone in D2 doing any kind of RP, no Wanderer's long lost daughter searching for her father or corrupted paladins searching for diablo's power or anything like that.  

If you were really looking for a RP experience, this wasnt going to be your game regardless of gender issues.