Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Diablo 3: Reforging Game & Community with Reaper of Souls

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If they fix it il buy it, past history is past history IMO. Poe and torchlight are similar, tried both but found them a bit meh compared to current Diablo (and I only play Diablo occasionally at the mo due to its design issues )

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I did quit playing this game when I read about this expansion,it removes from game the reasons I bought it in the first place.
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

"But by and large, most in the community will be content with and excited about what has been done to Diablo 3, the third in a beloved series of games, none of which, for the record, was perfect at launch."

Most in the community is right, because the fans that were disappointed QUIT! I loved the series, spent countless hours.. but I am no longer part of the community, because I will not come back to... this.

My problem, so easily dismissed in this article, is the skills, and the lack of their customisation.. No longer I will have to "suffer" with 20 skill points in the bank until level 30, to get MY PERFECT build. No, because everyone can have the same cookie-cutter build.

Sorry.. I will play another game (won't name it, most know what title) that allows me to build MY OWN char, with the good, the bad, the mistakes.. and most importantly, my touch.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

Looking forward to the expansion. I'll wait a bit due to my ever increasing backlog of games...but I will buy it eventually.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I enjoy Diablo 3 still today,, even though I have every class with BiS gear, I just make another alt and play it some more to gear them up hehe.

Really the only thing I didn't like about Diablo 3 was the requirement to be online.  It hasn't been much of a problem, but there have been a couple of times where I wish I could go do a diablo run solo while at a worksite where there's no internet.

The auction house was a dual-edged sword.  I liked it because I actually made money playing with friends.  It paid for the game itself, my subscription for a year to WoW, and my new laptop (whatever wasn't covered by work anyways hehe).  However, it did make the whole "kill monsters, get gear" out of the equation.

RoS fixes all this though.  Really making any complaint I have about the game void :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by Abcynth
    I was always on the fence with this game.  I spent many an hour with Diablo II in my college days creating a LAN game and going at it for hours.  With the negative criticism from the start, I have steered clear of this game.  Hearing good things about the expansion, but then take it with a grain of salt because of all the other broken things that players are complaining about.  I loved Torchlight II, but never got that gritty feel that I used to get from D2.  I have seen sales for D3 as low as $25 for the holidays, just dont' know if its worth the investment if its only going to frustrate me.  Guess I should wait to see what people think about the expansion and if its really any better.

D2 faced tons of negativity and criticism on release as well. Stop basing your decisions on crappy internet opinions.

it's true.

Here is an interesting review:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/07/08/diablo-ii-2

and this:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/07/08/diablo-ii-2

Obviously there is always going to be some negativity to decent reviews but sometimes i think players forget this as time goes on.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Originally posted by kilun
    Originally posted by Jeger_Wulf

The complexity is all gone. 

Complexity is gone?  From what D2?  So maxing one skill (Javazon for example) and smoking everything going balls to the walls with Lightning Facets etc isn't complexity.  Enough strength and dex for gear and rest Vitality is the majority of players who played D2.

Once you max one skill, you have 80 more points to spend. You have equipment to choose; not just based on DPS and a couple stats, but DPS, special abilities, runes available, stat point requirements, animation break points, etc. What do you socket the gear with? How do you spend your attribute points (which is connected to the gear you choose.) Which skills do you hotkey.

D3 your choices are: which skills to hotkey (including how are they runed,) and limited equipment decisions.

JMO - YMMV

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by dominia

The foundation for Diablo 3 is wonderful. Great graphics, physics, world and story, and I think Blizzard really hit the mark with the visceral feeling of smashing demons with a hammer, really (really!) hard. The game just feels and plays good.

The changes in RoS are progressive and fix many of the problems with the initial release. I really don't see all the needless hate for the expansion when the people who have played it love it.

The only complaints seem to be the speed of which you hit the cap at endgame and that is now much more easily fixed than before. Quests+Rifts add much greater possibilities for future end game content than continuous farming.

The f&f beta has been out 2 weeks now right? And already the amount of streams and viewers has gone back significantly. People who play it say it is just a Rift grind. They spent more than a year on RoS so far and that is what they can come up with. Hoping for future content is a wish and can not be taken into account when it comes to RoS.  Especially when they have already taken content out of RoS, Nephalem Trials. So first they will have to get those into the game and after that can create new content. And of course they still didnt come through with their promise on pvp given by good old Jay Wilson.

So far, Blizzard has still to add stuff so the game becomes what they showed people back in '11. I'd love to see the game getting better but so far it really hasnt changed much. It still has nothing to do for any reason. All content is way too easy which wont change because "hard" means for Blizz 100% more hp and damage. Thats boring, not hard.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

D3 releases, 5 million D2 lovers scream "WTF, we wanted it to be like D2!!"

Hypothetical D3 releases that is like D2...5 million scream "WTF, we wanted something new!!"

You can't win. So choose a direction for your game and stick with your vision.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    This game is not an MMO can we please go back to reporting on MMO's. that would be great.
  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

I played D2 off and on for almost 10 years. D3 has just never managed to grab me the same way. I have no complaints about the art style or the lore or the graphics or having to play online or the lack of skill trees or any of that. I'm a pretty reasonable person, and I can take the game for what it is. Without being able to really say why, the game has just never hooked me the way its predecessor  did.

That said, I will probably pre-order the expansion when it comes out anyways :)

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    It is probably going to take a lot more than this to get  me to re-install this game.  They just kind of killed that Diablo feeling.  And there are now other games out there that do what Diablo III was supposed to do and much better.  Like Van Helsing, Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile....

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

The removal of the auction house completely added with:

• Social features are returning including a bigger variety of chat rooms and a robust system for guilds and clans.
    Is such a step in the right direction.

All the other stuff sounds great as well though I missed the part of an offline mode and LAN so I think it is safe to say there will still be criticism. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    It is probably going to take a lot more than this to get  me to re-install this game.  They just kind of killed that Diablo feeling.  And there are now other games out there that do what Diablo III was supposed to do and much better.  Like Van Helsing, Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile....

I think that statement has a lot of validity. Thing is that in 1996 and in 2000-2001, the ARPG was in its infancy with little or no competition. Both D1 and D2/D2: LOD were great games for their time and season but nowadays, people have more choices, more genres, there is much more competition and innovation going on within the ARPG sector of gaming than there was a decade plus ago.

Blizzard has used the same basic recipe for the series with little or no innovation. "Dumbing" a game down, or eliminating true customization and skill-based gameplay, doesn't equal innovation.  What it does do is make the game more palatable for a new generation of gamers that has been raised on titles that are easy to pick up and play.

That said, I do believe that the expansion is making strides to right wrongs. Sadly for many, it's too little, too late. I'm willing to give them a shot. After all, it's a team with new leadership and an obviously new direction in which its moving.

I guess time will tell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Really!?  Another Ford article about the greatness of D3 and how we need to admit that the people at Blizzard are doing a good job? I guess it is time to add an editor to my list of people to ignore. While I can agree with some of her points, maybe she needs to quit trying to shove D3 down our throats and just get over the fact that people out there do not like the game. If I didn't believe the editors of this site were shills before now I really am starting to wonder....

After reading this post I decided to read the article. Which in turn has me at loss about your reaction.

While she did give Blizz some praise, she also spent a lot of time laying out the many critiques the game has received, as well as areas that were still not addressed.

I'm not quite sure how that correlates to a shill piece. As far as shoving anything down anyone's throat..Come on man, there's nothing being forced on you here.

Then you should scroll through the News section of this site and check the "Thank you Blizzard for the Crusader class" article. That will enlighten you on many things

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82

a frustrating gank fest is usually the closest thing there is to true pvp, unless ones opinion of true pvp is some sort of instanced, no penalty battle arena.  if anything the most serious downside of d2 pvp were the tele-pk botters who combined bots that performed functions very quickly with glitched mechanics to kill unsuspecting players, not too harmful unless caught by surprise on hardcore.  as far as arranged duels goes, fair matches, there were always tons of pvp rooms up (and still are) on d2.  for 'open world' pvp it was always super fun to enter a botted 'baal run' , declare war on the pve party, and bring them battle in the throne of destruction.

i hope they can improve their game d3 but i feel the skill based, rapid gameplay (enhanced by the Enigma and other advanced runeword expansions) has deteriorated, instead replaced by more 'fun' gameplay; the gameplay using the skills was very fun but overall also very forgiving (i understand they want a larger market, and less precise mechanics helps players feel they are performing awesome - ie, no need to teleport with precision to fight a max FCR hammerdin , or to dodge the deadly skulls of a bone necro) 

also the look and sounds of the game is not as mature, it feels like its for a 13 year old, diablo 2 was badass and one of the greatest games of all time, the art style matched the game perfectly and it will always be a great game.  

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82
    i would like to hear what better A RPG exists to this day that is better than D2!!!
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I felt robbed over buying D3, as many people did.  Is it a case of too high expectations left over from D2?  Possibly, but should that matter?  At the end of the day Blizzard disappointed a lot of fans.  Instead of acting quickly and fixing these issues, they decided to wait and deliver them with an expack so they could cash in.  Granted many of those features will be included in a patch, but I think they are counting on a lot of unsavy players to put down cash for things that should have been fixed a lot sooner.  I might actually go back and play again once they manage to fix loot, but until they deliver an offline mode, that they clearly can make since they have for the consoles, they will get no more of my money.
  • frogravenfrograven Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me

This. I haven't bought a Blizzard game since WoW and I never will.

Well good health to both off you, cuz ya know what ... Blizz is doing just fine without ya :p

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by jbombard
    I felt robbed over buying D3, as many people did.  Is it a case of too high expectations left over from D2?  Possibly, but should that matter?  At the end of the day Blizzard disappointed a lot of fans.  Instead of acting quickly and fixing these issues, they decided to wait and deliver them with an expack so they could cash in.  Granted many of those features will be included in a patch, but I think they are counting on a lot of unsavy players to put down cash for things that should have been fixed a lot sooner.  I might actually go back and play again once they manage to fix loot, but until they deliver an offline mode, that they clearly can make since they have for the consoles, they will get no more of my money.

+1

Indeed Blizzard refused to patch the game in order to sort it out; June-July marked the last patch for D3 with balance changes and the usual Blizzard tweaks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9647272/

So, in conclusion, of the many things wrong with D3 upon release and in the following months after, Blizzard refused to improve the game the way the community suggested, the way it should have always been; no RMAH, more map/monster permutations, customizable builds as opposed to being forced to use the only skills effective, end game sets and items and so many more needed features.

D3 and expansion?

Um... no! And no. What universe? When? How? No. Just no!

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    I'll try this game again if this expansion is free or close to... Not that I'm a cheapskate, just not very impressed with my previous 60 dollar purchase that's all.
  • slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

You see all of these improvements and changes coming to D3 are all well and good.  IF players didn't have to buy an expansion in order to enjoy them.

It's like Blizzard took our money, then slapped players in the face, then apologized for it, and are asking for more money to probably slap the other side of our face...