Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is not a WoW clone, Its an Elder Scrolls Clone with multiplayer

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Boreil
    Why do people keep bringing Neverwinter into this, ESO looks nothing like it not even close, they have nothing in common  other than both being online games.

One of the first things you hear about ESO is it's heavily instanced. So the first "mmo" that pops into my mind when I hear that is never winter.

I've since learned that they are nothing alike in that respect. So the comparison is probably from people going off very little info.

It's not really just the instanced world, it also has to do with the hotbar soft target action combat when you play in 3rd person. 1 potion skill, 5 skills and 1 ultimate.

Neverwinter and ESO combats have nothing in common, not even the hotbar.

Neverwinter has two of its hotbar skills that are bound to the mouse right and left mouse buttons, these are spammable. 3 skills executed through the keyboard  with cooldowns and two daily that share a resource that fill up by dealing damage. Each class also have a special ability that use a class related resource that fill up by dealing damage. It also has 3 potions slots. Each class get a single weapon to play with.

ESO has normal attacks, power attacks, active blocking, interrupts and cc-breaker bound to the mouse through different combo of the left+right buttons. Then you have a selection of 5 skills from skill lines that use either magicka and stamina. There is another slot for the ultimate that fill faster if you block/interrupt/avoid hits (aka play properly). You get a single potion slot and there are no cooldowns. At level 15 you get the switch weapon-set allowing you to have 12 skills in combat.

17 active abilities in ESO vs 6 in Neverwinter (I didn't count the potion slots).

Soo... yeah. I agree that they aren't exactly the same. But they are both soft target action games with a small hotbar. The feel of the combat is similar to a lot of people, hence people continually compare it to that game. But I agree that they are not exactly the same.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Guys and Gals:

Haven't most of you been playing MMOs for some time now?  Need I remind you all, it won't ultimately make any difference what ESO is "classified" as upon release?  Seriously guys, you know damn well it's either going to be "too much like Skyrim" or "another WoW clone."  I mean, what in the world else do you think anyone is going to call it?

What amazes me is how many "WoW clones" we've had over the years, and the fact that essentially all of them have failed miserably.  Seems to me that if someone could actually do a decent job of copying WoW, and of course throw in some nice fat graphics and blazing boob physics, heck that game might get somewhere and could conceivably keep its subscribers around!  Alas, we have yet to see this happen, and so we continue to wait...

It also seems to me that as far as an MMO is concerned, there is definitely such a thing as being too much like Skyrim, or too much like an Elder Scrolls game in general.  You who are experienced in single-player RPGs answer me here:  you are all aware, are you not, that ES games have never been known for truly great or immersive combat, and that such combat is basically required in order for an MMO to succeed at all?

Point being, it's pretty tough to do it right nowadays.  Institute a large open world with basic questing and responsive combat, and immediately be categorized as a "WoW clone."  Try something different, or get extra-stupid and start throwing around how "innovative!" and "groundbreaking!" your game is, and watch yourself fail miserably.  For that matter, witness your game be crushed under the heel of WoW and the expectations it has heaped upon the MMO community...cause love it or hate it, you all know full well that it still rules the roost and that it, and other games, have essentially shown gamers what they expect an MMO to be.  And so no matter what ESO finally becomes over these next several months, be prepared for the inevitable comparisons...and God help Zenimax if this thing is forced to go f2p six months after it releases!

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Originally posted by LlexX
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Seriously, everyone who is hating on ESO just take it for what it really is, a new Elder Scrolls installment with multiplayer!

Seriously, how can you say that it's the same as the single player Elder Scrolls games?... Not even close, this MMO is much different from them, im not going to say that it's a WoW clone (tho it has many elements taken from it), but it's pretty much close to Neverwinter...

ESO is no more different to the ES series  than Skyrim was to mw or oblivion, they have ALL been much different than the last game  and ESO is right there next to them in every way.

I think everyone who started the ES series with  Skyrim should crawl back under the " i dont know jack about The Elder Scrolls series" rock.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    felt like a game from 2005 not 2014 to me.
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    Sadly ESO doesn't FEEL anything like an Elder Scrolls game at all to me. It looked like an ES game but didn't feel like it at all. The traditional mmo/rpg levelling system in ESO means you cant simply go out wherever you like and explore like every ES game to date, you do you'll get annihilated by enemies far more powerful than you are. On top of that you can't really go exploring random dungeons, mines, ruins, caves, etc for loot like you could in every other ES game because the 50+ people who already went through there in the 30min before you have already picked the place clean so you may find 1 or 2 chests with a little cash in em but thats about it, if your lucky : Throw on top of that the faction locked races that will make it extremely difficult to play together with all your friends unless they potentially pick a race they may not care to be just so they can play with you and ESO simply isn't for me.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

The game felt more like a Neverwinter Nights (art style) with a little bit of Skyrim mixed in.Skyrim hands down beats ESO in the graphics department. I think thats the biggest reason the game does not feel more like a Elder Scrolls game is because of the art / graphics.

First off, I loved beta and I'm now buying the game. I had no interest in the game until playing. I don't understand why people are say the visuals aren't that good. The game looked amazing on my computer. Way better then neverwinter. I think neverwinter looks like poo. Eye of the beholder I spose.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

We already know and have been told many times the zones are much like a zone in WoW or Rift, and they are infact open, other than enemy lands ( which are open at 50)  so its still very much an open world. 

Yet we cant as been shown in beta. And as for faction lands opening up at 50, you get to chose ONE, which you cant run to and WONT be with the players of that faction it will be instanced, the opposite of OPEN. Its sad people need to twist a word to match something when they say they like a game. Really, if you like it why do you feel the need to tie it to something it isn't? Is your faith in what it actually is so weak you need to associate it with other good games?

BTW, we were also told many times there wont be able fetch quests or kill quests yet the was almost immediately right out of the tutorial.

Its rather simple. If you changed the name of the game, the names of the npcs and places, would it feel like a TES game? No. It would feel like DaoC though. Now if you took Asherons Call, chaned the name, npcs, places and the graphics slightly to ESO, it would feel more like TES than ESO does. That's the problem, the gameplay isn't TES, just the names.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• DomocusDomocus Member UncommonPosts: 11
    All I have to say: The game is great, but the combat is definitely lacking.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Also, I'm thinking that some of the folks providing opinions didn't actually play the game. Honestly,some people sound like they are just making shit up.

ESO is no more different to the ES series  than Skyrim was to mw or oblivion, they have ALL been much different than the last game  and ESO is right there next to them in every way.

I think everyone who started the ES series with  Skyrim should crawl back under the " i dont know jack about The Elder Scrolls series" rock.

I started with Daggerfall, every TES game took a step FORWARD in the genre. ESO is stepping 13 years backwards and bringing nothing new and rehashing a lot of old. So it isn't even like TES in that regard either, seems as if it only has the name and little else.

Perhaps everyone who played DaoC should crawl back under the "I don't know jack about The Elder Scrolls series" rock because they are the ones that are making the most excuses.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

Originally posted by JJ82

We already know and have been told many times the zones are much like a zone in WoW or Rift, and they are infact open, other than enemy lands ( which are open at 50)  so its still very much an open world. 

Its rather simple. If you changed the name of the game, the names of the npcs and places, would it feel like a TES game? No. It would feel like DaoC though. Now if you took Asherons Call, chaned the name, npcs, places and the graphics slightly to ESO, it would feel more like TES than ESO does. That's the problem, the gameplay isn't TES, just the names.

You can change the names all you want it wont matter, when the first leaked screenshots came out before ANYONE knew there was even an ESO game, the second  you see those screens i ( and most fans as well) knew instantly  it was an elder scrolls game, no way around it, end of story.

I started with Daggerfall, every TES game took a step FORWARD in the genre. ESO is stepping 13 years backwards and bringing nothing new and rehashing a lot of old. So it isn't even like TES in that regard either, seems as if it only has the name and little else.

Perhaps everyone who played DaoC should crawl back under the "I don't know jack about The Elder Scrolls series" rock because they are the ones that are making the most excuses.

I started with arena  and i am with many  other ES fans when i say the game has been taking giant leaps backward ever since MW ( which was the best hands down).

You can change the names all you want it wont matter, when the first leaked screenshots came out before ANYONE knew there was even an ESO game, the second  you see those screens i ( and most fans as well) knew instantly  it was an elder scrolls game, no way around it, end of story.

So you based your entire opinion of a game being like another, based on photos.

wow, hit a whole new level with that one.

I started with arena  and i am with many  other ES fans when i say the game has been taking giant leaps backward ever since MW ( which was the best hands down).

The word many can be applied to 10 people. And judging by what is being said on most TES fan sites including the Nexus which has around 500,000 members, that's about how many agree with you.

Guess that's what happens when you form an opinion based on photo's eh? doh! photos, lol.

I think your lost, you said if you took away all the names you wouldn't know what game it is, i strongly disagree, and that's the end of it.

I never based anything solely on the photo's, you fully misunderstood me .

Good day sir.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Seriously, everyone who is hating on ESO just take it for what it really is, a new Elder Scrolls installment with multiplayer!

I always enjoy a good joke, thanks OP.

• tomacontomacon Member UncommonPosts: 18
    All MMORPG's come with something taken from other games. The very idea of producing an MMO is a rip off, but they are pieces of history and just like all things we learn from the one before, gather ideas about what we liked about them, and implement them in other things. Exp: Sharp rock+stick=sharp steel blade. I played a lot of original EQ and a WHOLE more other MMO's. I won't name a number, but i'm comfortable with saying i've got an issue. So everything in some way shape or form, has something from another game. I figure it's the way that they present it. If one does it this way, but makes it look like this or that, or function differently. Why not? Generally things that work, will work fine again, it's all in the way your slight of hand works that makes it a magic show. I've played this beta,and i gave wow a shot, for about a year. This has a decent feel, and like the other games ill give it a shot. I'm going to treat this like any new game. Look for new things, see if there is any improvement on past ideas, and have fun. There is no WOW clones out there. Wow set a bar, and it's given every game something to build to. For as much as i dislike the game. It did well,and still does decent. Always remember, there was a rock before there was a tank. =0)

I think your lost, you said if you took away all the names you wouldn't know what game it is, i strongly disagree, and that's the end of it.

Good day sir.

Yep, clearly misunderstood you. Who is lost again? Cant keep your lies straight is what it is.

Also, you have said nothing about the gameplay that makes it TES. So yeah, take the names away and it cannot be confused with a TES game. PROVE ME WRONG. State ONE thing about ESOs gameplay that is TES that hasn't already been proven not to be.

Originally posted by tomacon
    All MMORPG's come with something taken from other games. The very idea of producing an MMO is a rip off, but they are pieces of history and just like all things we learn from the one before, gather ideas about what we liked about them, and implement them in other things.

And yet Shroud of the Avatar and EQ: Landmark are making massive changes, hell even SWTOR, the bad game that it is brought in SRPG storyline advancement and the heavy instanced quests that looked almost exactly like KOTOR. If an MMO isn't breaking new ground, its just more of the same and seeing as how many MMOs that have been pure garbage the last 5 YEARS because they were mostly the same, I don't see a defense for yet another to come out doing it as well.

And the best thing about it all, the majority of people here defending it for being old style, are or have been complaining about the genre being stagnant.

Good day sir.

Yep, clearly misunderstood you. Who is lost again? Cant keep your lies straight is what it is.

Also, you have said nothing about the gameplay that makes it TES. So yeah, take the names away and it cannot be confused with a TES game. PROVE ME WRONG. State ONE thing about ESOs gameplay that is TES that hasn't already been proven not to be.

I have no idea what your talking about, as long as i am  in a world that looks like TES and killing creatures based on TES lore that i have killed in ever other ES game, doing quests based on ES lore, reading books based on ES Lore  meeting people based in TES lore, exploring the world of ES, then im playing a  ES game, no way around it , and from what we have seen on the website and the videos that are everywhere, ESO meets every single one of those .

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Ok just so we are all on the same page here, im talking about this ESO:

Not this ESO:

<This Orc never made it out of the Hero Engine>

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    I played NW & as soon as the tutorial dungeon was over, I vomited.

ESO has the opposite effect on me.

I can make no connection between the two. ESO felt like an old friend while NW felt like that kid from high school that never fit in because he tried too hard to be cool.

Good day sir.

I have no idea what your talking about, as long as i am  in a world that looks like TES and killing creatures based on TES lore that i have killed in ever other ES game, doing quests based on ES lore, reading books based on ES Lore  meeting people based in TES lore, exploring the world of ES, then im playing a  ES game, no way around it , and from what we have seen on the website and the videos that are everywhere, ESO meets every single one of those .

Everything you just said is based on graphics and names thus proven what I stated correct. Take away the names and its gone because the GAMEPLAY isn't there. And to think, you went through all that trying to prove me wrong only to turn around and say everything to prove me right. For you its all about names and graphics, the only thing the game has that is remotely TES.

BTW its already been proven they changed the lore to fit their base PvP game design. The lore states that the empire was only attacked ONE time after the assassination of the last protector and that attacked was stopped at Marrowind. Septim is the one that conquers. Lore = broken.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

lets see, joined today, made 11 hater posts allready.

nuff said on that

elder scrolls is not like neverwinter, its like elder scrolls, with a bit of daoc, a-la three faction combat thrown in.

deal with it haters, i've always said, it doesn't matter what you say, if people want to play something , they will play it, the small minority of people who post  on these forums, out of the vast majority that play mmos, will dictate weather something is good or not.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    I played NW & as soon as the tutorial dungeon was over, I vomited.

ESO has the opposite effect on me.

I can make no connection between the two. ESO felt like an old friend while NW felt like that kid from high school that never fit in because he tried too hard to be cool.

There is no connection.

Some people just have to show us their disgust for ESO every chance they get. So they pick a MMO that they think everyone dislikes to compare it too.  Neverwinter, SWTOR, GW2, WOW... take your pick.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED