Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Reveals that their SW deal done in May 2013 lasts a full decade

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

EA's very own Battlefront III release will have a HUGE impact on SWTOR, if it has good multiplayer and some story.

I could imagine by the time BF3 releases, SWTOR gets shifted into maintenance mode, then slowly faded out.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

BF3? who is Falling for that one, after the abysmal BF2

i dont know any person, who have good experiences with BF2, we simply gave up after days of

troubleshooting

BF1 was the best, it was simple, but at least , it worked

Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by DocBrody

I bet SOE and Lucasarts believed SWTOR will be so awesome and great that it would kill SWG anyway (also, any other MMO), so they shut it down. Yes SWTOR owes me SWG. Better, SWG2

And I bet we'll meet aliens tomorrow. ROFL!

Lets stick with what we know and not what some forum poster believes. LOL!

And here comes the real answer; the entitlement. The 'The World Owes Me' reason.

I wish you the best of luck in the real world cause with reasoning like that, you'll need it.

not "the world", just EA, owes everyone a worthy successor of SWG

EA killed SWG, it was their idea to talk Lucasrts into skyrocketing the cost of the SWG licence to shut down the competition for their SWTOR title

everyone knows by now, so stop being ignorant 

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

everyone knows by now, so stop being ignorant 

Ah, irony.

"Everyone knows", as ironclad as things get!

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Now all BW need is to upgrade the game engine to make the game more stable and improve over all performance of the game. There are still a lot of things that BW can add to this game, i only hope EA provides them the fund they need. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

Just because there is a tin of beans in the cupboard dated  "Best before 2020" , It does not mean I would ever eat em  :)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by simplius

BF3? who is Falling for that one, after the abysmal BF2

i dont know any person, who have good experiences with BF2, we simply gave up after days of

troubleshooting

BF1 was the best, it was simple, but at least , it worked

BF1 and BF2 were done by Pandemic studios. Who knows what BF3 will be like by DICE using the Frostbyte engine, but I bet it will end up being a better "MMO" than SWTOR.

Also there is a rumour of an open world Star Wars game - BF3 or something else? If something else then loads of Star Wars goodness to come, leaving SWTOR for dust.

Originally posted by jesteralways
    Now all BW need is to upgrade the game engine to make the game more stable and improve over all performance of the game. There are still a lot of things that BW can add to this game, i only hope EA provides them the fund they need. 

a revamped engine won't help, the gameplay is dumbed down more than any NGE or CU ever dumbed down SWG

Recently checked out the TOR bounty hunt *cough* event to go kill some mobs with EVERY class.

Oh gee that is Star Wars lore conform running around with a trooper as a bounty hunter, where there is an own class called bounty hunter. I mean.. WTH?? They have ONE chance to introduce class specific missions, and they are messing this up?

And then it´s only about NPC killing? The same stuff you do with every regular mission, really?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by BadOrb

That's hopeful news for SWTOR , maybe even a SWTOR 2. I liked reading that they don't want to make actual movie tie ins too. The best bit was this though and I don't know how true it is , isn't everything true on the internet ? Was this quote from the replies in that thread.

"(REDDIT figures, feel free to completely ignore but just for sh*ts and giggles)

Total sales of all Star Wars titles across handheld, TV'd boxes and PC for the last 15 years - ~$2,000,000,000

Total spent by SW:TOR players (1,000,000 active) Average $28.50 per month for the last 12 months(mostly from microtrans but includes subs and the sales of first expansion, does not include first year of sales or subs for some reason) - $342,000,000. Roughly 1/6 that of every Star Wars game added together this generation.

SW:TOR is the most successful Star Wars title of all time, and will only become more so for as long as it runs." quote from distanlurker.

Will this news shut up the SWG people from asking for a SWG2 ? No , obviously.

O nearly forgot BioWare are hiring yet again :) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6958438#edit6958438

In the voice of Yazz and the plastic population "The only way is up , baby". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

Cheers,

BadOrb.

It sounds nice, but I have to go by what they are calling expansions and the generally low amount of content being added.  I definitely don't feel that they are reinvesting in the game.  They seem to be taking the LOTRO approach of giving the absolute minimum in order to still make a profit.

It's not a bad game at all, but they definitely haven't shown confidence enough to keep cranking out content and real expansions.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by Kicksave321

You know your hatred for a video game is sad and pathetic by itself.  But to hope people get fired just prove what type of sad pathetic human being some people can be.  Just for the record every mmo lays off people after launch go cry on their sites and a little more tidbit they are now hiring.  Get a life dude Swtor is not going anywhere.

Meh, the pathetic haters can go doing what they want.

SWTOR is growing every day and with more people comes more revenue which results in more content which causes the cycle to repeat. They have been doing an excellent 4-6 week content release cycle and i hope they continue like this.

And seriously, just to screw these pathetic whiners, i hope SWG's sequel or any game like that is never released again, ever.

If it's growing by the day, then why feel the need to defend it with name-calling?

I'm sure just as many people coming, are leaving too. Glad they are adding content, but it's not enough for some.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by NorseGod

You know your hatred for a video game is sad and pathetic by itself.  But to hope people get fired just prove what type of sad pathetic human being some people can be.  Just for the record every mmo lays off people after launch go cry on their sites and a little more tidbit they are now hiring.  Get a life dude Swtor is not going anywhere.

SWTOR is growing every day and with more people comes more revenue which results in more content which causes the cycle to repeat. They have been doing an excellent 4-6 week content release cycle and i hope they continue like this.

And seriously, just to screw these pathetic whiners, i hope SWG's sequel or any game like that is never released again, ever.

If it's growing by the day, then why feel the need to defend it with name-calling?

I'm sure just as many people coming, are leaving too. Glad they are adding content, but it's not enough for some.

These people are insulting the works of some people as well as the people themself and want to see them fired over a damned game. Worst part is that the game isn't bad but they are just bitter because it's not what they want and are entitled as fuck (it's not like they can't ignore it and move on). Do they not realise that these guys have a family as well?

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

These people are insulting the works of some people as well as the people themself and want to see them fired over a damned game. Worst part is that the game isn't bad but they are just bitter because it's not what they want and are entitled as fuck (it's not like they can't ignore it and move on). Do they not realise that these guys have a family as well?

I'll just say that I read your reply.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Anyone can be a critic if they had purchased a game.  In this case, many did, many didn't like it.

What you said was more from a dev or an investor standpoint.  Some people (consumers) just don't want to spend money on what they feel is a waste.  They may want to make the game better, and make the situation better .. and SWTOR has much room for this!  But accepting an inferior product is not good for growth, regardless of the industry, or how many employees may suffer.  Applies to anything, car tires, frozen food, toothpaste, or in this case, a computer game.  Buying a toothpaste that tastes horrible is not an excuse to keep people employed.

Only the higher-up's make any money anyways.  Unjustifiably so, but whatever.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by jpnz

You'd think that people would move on after 2 years but nope, SWTOR will continue to be hated by people in this community for not being SWG PRECU / SWG EMU / SWG2 / SWG Electric Boogaloo / SWG In the Mountains.

*shakes head*

/Facepalm

Well actually I think right now SWTOR is mostly hated for the type of game it is, standard theme park MMO, and people who were hoping to play a MMORPG with some different designs (sandbox or otherwise)  probably won't be seeing it based on this annoucement.

So if you like the current offering, you're golden, but for the others, not so much.

Sort of like how the Star Trek IP is tied up by STO, another game many don't care for, and until it closes or loses it's license there's not much hope for another new title.

Me, I'm not much of a fan of IP's, my favorite MMO's were all largely no name IP's so it doesn't matter to me.

The only people I see hating on SWTOR are SWG fans.  Myself, I enjoyed the leveling process on one hero more than I have in any other game ever.  But after that it was a very disappointing game.  A WOW clone minus the WOW features or polish.  A SW game minus the fun of XWing vs. Tie Fighter.

They just got so much wrong with it.  The upcoming space content is a step in the right direction, just not a big enough step to get me back yet.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    I liked some of the freedom players had in SWG, but it was far, FAR from awesome.  Grinding a Jedi was a bitch (Pre-NGE).  Frankly the lack of content was BORING.  PvP was lame as everyone was wearing the same bloody thing (again Pre-NGE, I tried playing it post-NGE and stopped playing after about 2 days).  It COULD have been an awesome game, but the devs at the time had their heads so far up their own a$$es they continued to bleed out players. I do not remember SWG fondly well, and that was two years of playing the damn thing!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Well, I personally didn't like most of the game but I'm happy for SWTOR players. Cheers to you.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Disney + EA + Star Wars = No thanks to all 3 for me.

Water seeks it's own level, though, so they must all belong together.

I'm not interested in any of their products. That's just my taste, obviously. So to those who like it, enjoy.

Star Wars hasn't been any good to me, really, since the the Empire Strikes Back. 1980. That's a long time. Disney does not offer me much at my age. And EA? Well, to each his own.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like, of course. 

I will judge them when they get to release games. I have given up on deciding if games are rubbish or not by certain developer. Between 2008 and 2011 Bioware were awesome, and could do no wrong in creating a MMO, and why 2 million people bought the game, then in 2012 people quit the game in bucket loads, The Doctors left Bioware which turned the company into EAware, Lucasarts sold to Disney, and then Disney shut it down.

Luacsarts and EA had/have a tendancy to create sub-par games, but they can occasionally be average / above average and an even rare occasion, be a true gem.

If the game is good, then I will get it, if they are not, then I won't. I am not going to not get the games just based on who is part of its creation

EA do seem to be listening, and making amends, as I doubt they want to get the golden poo award 3 times in a row. Ubisoft are getting worse than EA these days, they only just got rid of Season passess, and trying to assign preorder codes to AC4 Black Flag was a nightmare, with poor customer service, which took about a month to resolve an issue. Even Nintendo seem to be losing interest and not getting enough games out, and when they do it is just old games redone in HD, eg Wind Waker and selling it at full price.

There is more chance that I will keep spending money on each new Star Wars games by EA than spending any more money on SWTOR.

As far as SWTOR is concerned it is dried up, and going no where, and the updates will fizzle out through out 2014, and EA will focus their efforts on creating new Star Wars games that people will have more interest in spending money on than SWTOR.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/27/ea-canada-developing-open-world-next-gen-star-wars-game

EA is making another battlefront game and a "open world " star wars game, whatever that means.  On Console of course...

Alot of mmos seem to be going console.

Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/27/ea-canada-developing-open-world-next-gen-star-wars-game

EA is making another battlefront game and a "open world " star wars game, whatever that means.  On Console of course...

Alot of mmos seem to be going console.

ooooh shiny, that sounds really interesting. Maybe there is still hope for an awesome open world SW game with ground and space worlds to explore

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by BadOrb

SWG peaked at 350k subs and took 2 years to sell 1 million copies.  

SWTOR was at its lowest at 500k subs and sold 2 MILLION copies in less then 1 month

I'm willing bet SWTOR has made more money then SWG did. 

If you were an investor what kind of MMO would you make?

How many people were playing MMORPGs at SWGs' release?

How many themepark games today would kill for 350K subs?

SWTOR had less than 500K subs, it went F2P when it crossed this threshold.

SWTOR prime lasted 60 days. SWG prime lasted years.

SWTOR has a cash shop. SWG does not. Take that cash shop away and how long will SWTOR last?

Looks like SWG wins long-term.

Dude, sorry but you very clearly never played SWG. That much is obvious.

I was there from beginning till NGE and Beyond and I can tell you SWG´s prime did not last 2 years, nor did it had 350k subs 2 years later or we wouldn´t have gotten the NGE.

SWG only had 2 very high pop servers. Eclipse (I was on that one) and Farstrider (if I remember correctly), the rest of the server´s pops were so so.

Jump to Lightspeed completely wrecked the groundgame, causing horrendous lag, rubberbanding issues and other performance issues, which made a lot of People (who were not interested in the Space flightsimulator) to ragequit!

It took them months to fix the most of the serious issues. A lot of People were not that patient and quit long before!

The vast majority of People wanted SOE to focus on the ground game and improve that. Expand on the Galactic War (meaningfull PVP and PVE With more focus on the war) and were angry that SOE instead focused on launching a Space Simulator as expansion. (don´t get me wrong I loved it, as I am a Space sim fan, but the majority of SWG subscribers were RPG players, not spacesim players).

And that the Spacesim expansion wrecked the groundgame, created quite some anger among the community.

My 300+ member guild at that time, took a serious nosedive straight Down after JTL expac and later the CU. Before JTL I had about 200+ peeps on during primetimes. After JTL and CU I had only 5-10 peeps on during primetime.

The NGE was just the final nail in the coffin.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

AFAIK, most people have families, so that doesnt give any special percs

if you go on stage, and play the fiddle, expect the audience to judge your performance

if youre good, they will throw flowers at you

if your bad, they will throw rotten tomatoes

swtors performance speaks for itself, if you care to listen

Originally posted by simplius

AFAIK, most people have families, so that doesnt give any special percs

if you go on stage, and play the fiddle, expect the audience to judge your performance

if youre good, they will throw flowers at you

if your bad, they will throw rotten tomatoes

swtors performance speaks for itself, if you care to listen

If TOR wouldn't be 

a) Star Wars

b) Bioware

any other developer could have earned some more positive feedback,it's not a total desaster after all

people expected some overwhelming experience and they own hyped it up with ridiculously good CGI trailers no where near the actual gameplay

and they wonder they still get bashed?

and don't forget SWG had tons of more features 5 years ago

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I was there from beginning till NGE and Beyond and I can tell you SWG´s prime did not last 2 years, nor did it had 350k subs 2 years later or we wouldn´t have gotten the NGE.

SWG only had 2 very high pop servers. Eclipse (I was on that one) and Farstrider (if I remember correctly), the rest of the server´s pops were so so.

Jump to Lightspeed completely wrecked the groundgame, causing horrendous lag, rubberbanding issues and other performance issues, which made a lot of People (who were not interested in the Space flightsimulator) to ragequit!

It took them months to fix the most of the serious issues. A lot of People were not that patient and quit long before!

The vast majority of People wanted SOE to focus on the ground game and improve that. Expand on the Galactic War (meaningfull PVP and PVE With more focus on the war) and were angry that SOE instead focused on launching a Space Simulator as expansion. (don´t get me wrong I loved it, as I am a Space sim fan, but the majority of SWG subscribers were RPG players, not spacesim players).

And that the Spacesim expansion wrecked the groundgame, created quite some anger among the community.

My 300+ member guild at that time, took a serious nosedive straight Down after JTL expac and later the CU. Before JTL I had about 200+ peeps on during primetimes. After JTL and CU I had only 5-10 peeps on during primetime.

That was pretty much my experience. I was on Corbantis and the population(as well as the game) was never stable. When it worked it was fun, but the fun didn't last as the DEVS seemed to care more about making Jedi happy than fixing the rest of their game. Our small guild was pretty tight nit and we weathered every storm that SOE threw at us but NGE was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's also ironic that the same type of crowd who told the Vets to "Get Over It Or Leave" are still whining about the NGE closing two years later and have taken their anger to a totally different game that always said from the beginning it wasn't going to be SWG/NGE 2. At some point they should take their own advise and move on. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by JeroKane

That was pretty much my experience. I was on Corbantis and the population(as well as the game) was never stable. When it worked it was fun, but the fun didn't last as the DEVS seemed to care more about making Jedi happy than fixing the rest of their game. Our small guild was pretty tight nit and we weathered every storm that SOE threw at us but NGE was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's also ironic that the same type of crowd who told the Vets to "Get Over It Or Leave" are still whining about the NGE closing two years later and have taken their anger to a totally different game that always said from the beginning it wasn't going to be SWG/NGE 2. At some point they should take their own advise and move on. 

It´s because these so called SWG Vets either never played the game at the time or have simply forgotten how the game really was before the NGE.

They just use SWG as an excuse to vent their anger and trash another game they do not like. /shrug

and don't forget SWG had tons of more features 5 years ago

Which were mostly all bugged to hell and never fixed at the time. /shrug

This crap is getting old.