Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mages not being able to use plate?

13»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Name me an MMO wear mages CAN wear plate armor.

I think in Ultima Online you could

As my earlier post said, you most definitely could in UO. It usually occurs in more sandbox style games like Darkfall recently. There are also usually penalties for doing it as well. Mana regen, or slower casting speed etc.

In GW1 you could play as a plate wearer with spell casting, but you needed to be creative in ways to generate enough mana, or you could just use the auras.  Also in RaiderZ you could set yourself up as a mage in plate.  Pretty much any MMO with multi-classing allowed it with penalties, just like the Elder Scrolls and tabletop games always have.

I actually like the way they're doing it here: instead of penalties you get "lack of bonuses"... I know, I know, a small distinction.

There are even some caster builds people have theorycrafted about that use some medium armor for the stamina regen bonuses... that together with the Sorcerer ability, Dark Exchange (Channel dark magic, restoring your own Health and Magicka at the cost of Stamina) looks pretty appealing... the lead dev in a recent interview talked about having fun with that.

I expect that people will mix and match weighing the bonuses, mitigation, etc. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Can anyone show me an official reaction to this dramatic rumoured game change..

I can live with spellcasting not being efficient in plate. I can not live with mages not being able to use plate.  Because what would an ES game be withouth battle mages.

Please give me some confirmation that this rumour is not true. To proof a rumor not true, you can only use official information, i bet there must be a developer reaction somehwere if its not true, as this information is totally contradictory with the information on the official Website.

I am not asking for information from beta players, but for an official reaction by a developer.

SO DISREGARD THIS POST...

The information is just a rumor, a trolling attempt or whatever, i just got personal confirmation that this rumor is not even close to being true.  Which clearly shows to me that a lot of the negatives in another thread where nothing but trolling attempts. 

C'mon Lord what are you doing taking forum rumour as gospel?  You didn't get this false info from an official source so should have auto been filed under "B" for bullshit.

Also asking for an official dev response here = Lulz

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    The system sounds quite complicated.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Mages in plate are required by pvp.

The classical pve theory (more damage balanced by less defense/less damage by more defense) does not work out well, in practice, when pvp is intended. Your warriors are unhappy with their pitiful dps, your mages are unhappy wearing tissue paper, and both sides bitch constantly.

Just one aspect of rpg's where pvp and pve world don't mix comfortably.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Can anyone show me an official reaction to this dramatic rumoured game change..

I can live with spellcasting not being efficient in plate. I can not live with mages not being able to use plate.  Because what would an ES game be withouth battle mages.

Please give me some confirmation that this rumour is not true. To proof a rumor not true, you can only use official information, i bet there must be a developer reaction somehwere if its not true, as this information is totally contradictory with the information on the official Website.

I am not asking for information from beta players, but for an official reaction by a developer.

SO DISREGARD THIS POST...

The information is just a rumor, a trolling attempt or whatever, i just got personal confirmation that this rumor is not even close to being true.  Which clearly shows to me that a lot of the negatives in another thread where nothing but trolling attempts. 

C'mon Lord what are you doing taking forum rumour as gospel?  You didn't get this false info from an official source so should have auto been filed under "B" for bullshit.

Also asking for an official dev response here = Lulz

It was presented by someone in a long list of complaints, from which all other complaints got confirmedby others, or even acknowledged as personal opinions, this single complaint stood there and noboddy got to take it away before the whole topic got removed.

i have seen stranger things happening during a development cycle and developers worrying about ballance do strange things.

all in all i was triggered to find out the truth... Which i did... Mages can wear cloth leather and plate, time to move on now.

(and i asked for a dev quote on the topic)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Horizons/Istaria, some mages can wear plate as well

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Antiquated

Mages in plate are required by pvp.

The classical pve theory (more damage balanced by less defense/less damage by more defense) does not work out well, in practice, when pvp is intended. Your warriors are unhappy with their pitiful dps, your mages are unhappy wearing tissue paper, and both sides bitch constantly.

Just one aspect of rpg's where pvp and pve world don't mix comfortably.

Not to mention that they have to come up with murky and haphazard lore excuses as to why classical hard edge class distinctions happen.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

AC

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I don't want pvp to keep ruining my pve gameplay, I want variety and uniqueness, not some boring min/maxing cookie cutter homogenization, where every single class in game has interrupts and crowd control, so they can all do the same job in pvp. 
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by PerfArt

The mmorpg genre is not defined by a specific type of lore or class mechanic at all. Even a little. It is defined by being a persistent online multiplayer role playing game. Therefore, your demand holds no relevance to his question, which was a fair question since this game is based on a world known for famous battlemages who wore plate armor. 

Darkfall online for starters.

MurderHerd

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by mysticaluna
    I don't want pvp to keep ruining my pve gameplay, I want variety and uniqueness, not some boring min/maxing cookie cutter homogenization, where every single class in game has interrupts and crowd control, so they can all do the same job in pvp. 

A) pvp and pve are totally seperated in this game, it will not get any better..

B) ESO and every elder scrolls game gives you the freedom to build a character like you want it, build a PvE character just like you desire..  There are no true classes, just a base outline...

actually your post prooves to me that most people have no clue about the game mechanics.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Vidir

AC

DDO

REALITY CHECK

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

As my earlier post said, you most definitely could in UO. It usually occurs in more sandbox style games like Darkfall recently. There are also usually penalties for doing it as well. Mana regen, or slower casting speed etc.

IIRC the only penalty in UO was that you needed to put points into strength so you could carry the heavier armor.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Mages can indeed wear plate.  Fret not.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by svann

IIRC the only penalty in UO was that you needed to put points into strength so you could carry the heavier armor.

correct and many other games you can play is a mage plate wielder, ie: Elder Scrolls the premise is make your character and every Elder Scrolls game give the option to be a spell sword or whatever spell wielding plate wearer.

It's mostly games like wow which have changed the genre.
    Having said that yes, D&D makes were usually other as well, but even in Moria and other rogue like games you could wear plate but had a small restriction, such as unable to wear plate gloves.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...