Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did they just easy mode this game?

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I was about to start the lengthy download for LOTRO during my PC's idle time but I'm hearing through the grapevine that this game just got the easy mode. 

This is the bane of  current MMORPG's for me.  I can't stand it.  

If I can follow the normal quest line and stop to read a phone text message and respond to it while getting whacked by 2 mobs for .02% of my health then watch a Tosh.o bit before I finally kill off the mobs... then this game will lose me in mere hours.

I love quests so I was looking forward to coming back to LOTRO for a new toon but am I going to be over leveled and over geared for the whole ride to endgame?

Also.  I'm pretty sure I have the top 20 or so mmorpg's on my hard drive right now.  If you feel like chiming in, what is your favorite non-easy mode mmorpg? 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Did it just get easy mode?   Are you new to the MMO scene?   LOTRO has always been easy mode, well, maybe not so much in the beginning; but the game is not super challenging at all.  I still love this game and play often but I am here for the story and lore and rich immersive world and not to be challenged.   For a challenging game you need to look elsewhere.  Again, I say this as a LOTRO fan and someone who has been playing since the early days.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Kinda...It hasn't been very challenging for about the last 3 years  but it's stupid easy now to the point where my pet was able to kill an at level mob by itself today and I can one-shot on-level mobs when I crit from horseback.

I'm think Turbine just messed up the balance and there are some massive nerfs incoming. At least I hope so, was cool running around super-powerful for a few days but the novelty is wearing off.

• IMBanksIMBanks Member UncommonPosts: 75

Yes, big time.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I have a lv 16 Lore-master from a year ago.

I'm trying to decide if to buy the expantion packs. Last night I was re figuring out the game and I was one shotting every level 15 and 16 so I was un able to test my abalities.  Being that It was the first 5 min I figured that I was SOMEHOW doing something wrong....But this is how it is ? ....What the hell !

If this is how it is screw it, because they are trying to get you to buy all expantions by getting you to end game....More tricks by marketing.

I really would like to play this game for a Rune Keeper.  What good would it do if abalities don't matter.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I don't think it's any easier than comparable mmorpgs. By the very nature of a quest based game, you've got to be able to reliably defeat any enemies you're required to in order to progress. If people couldn't do that, and their character kept dying instead, I'm sure most people would give up and play something else.

Having said that, level 16 is still very much in the starter phase of the game. It gets a bit harder after around level 20.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Lotro was wowified in last patch. Autolearn skills, instance finder,.. uninstall.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by deniter

Lotro was wowified in last patch. Autolearn skills, instance finder,.. uninstall.

Dito. Have been a big fan of this game since beta. After WoW got Cataclysmed I have been using Lotro as my last best hope for PVE. If you have seen any of my posts before it's not like me to moan but I for one am not down with these changes, have uninstalled. Cheers for the good times Turbine and best of luck to anybody still having fun. 

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Ok

At level 16 my Lore Masters pet is two shotting everything without my help.  Lv 21's are kind of a challange, but not much. It's actually hard to play with it being so easy. Abilities are worthless.

I asked in game whats up with the easy mode..........EVERYONE IS COMPLAINING !!!!!!!

This can only be for one reasion.....To get you to buy every expantion !

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Well, my Warden gameplay feels pretty much the same as before the patch, i think he got a litle weaker and less survivable.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by page975

Ok

At level 16 my Lore Masters pet is two shotting everything without my help.  Lv 21's are kind of a challange, but not much. It's actually hard to play with it being so easy. Abilities are worthless.

I asked in game whats up with the easy mode..........EVERYONE IS COMPLAINING !!!!!!!

I actually think it is because they have changed the combatsystem and the different paths. They have not tested it good enough I guess before release. I hate when things get too easy in a MMORPG. When the game came out I had some friends that found it hard. It wasn't hard but I remember that I ended up in some cool fights during my way to 50 back then. The way it should be. When you can run through a zone, aggro everything, and just stop and fight it down, then it is not fun. I hope they fix it.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its as easy as you want it to be , the challenge is there if you want to challenge yourself, do Skirms 5 lvls higher at T2 , duo Goblin Seat etc, quest 5 lvls higher ...
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Its as easy as you want it to be , the challenge is there if you want to challenge yourself, do Skirms 5 lvls higher at T2 , duo Goblin Seat etc, quest 5 lvls higher ...

The only problem with the path you suggest is that questing got dumbed down as well, even if you skip skirmishes entirely, just as the Big Battles. LotRO's main strength is in lore, the story and the world.

If a player (an average, new one who is interested in the story) is following your suggestions, heck if s/he's following only the last one, and doing only quests 5level higher, s/he will miss more than half of the game.

I just started a new hobbit (ok, I started more than five :) ), hopped into the Shire, which is the least kill-xp focused starting area, I simply followed the questline (running around with the post and helping them in every town) -- I was lvl15 by the time I've reached Budgeford :I  (which is a lvl10ish area)

Earlier, if you've cleared the Shire, killing off every wolf and goblin etc. that came in your way, you left the Shire at lvl16. If that is not dumbing down (or speeding up, which is the same thing), then I dunno what is.

If you want to do only quests +5lvl above you, you'll miss the best part of LotRO.

For OP's question: Yep, they just did.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Po_gg

The only problem with the path you suggest is that questing got dumbed down as well, even if you skip skirmishes entirely, just as the Big Battles. LotRO's main strength is in lore, the story and the world.

If a player (an average, new one who is interested in the story) is following your suggestions, heck if s/he's following only the last one, and doing only quests 5level higher, s/he will miss more than half of the game.

I just started a new hobbit (ok, I started more than five :) ), hopped into the Shire, which is the least kill-xp focused starting area, I simply followed the questline (running around with the post and helping them in every town) -- I was lvl15 by the time I've reached Budgeford :I  (which is a lvl10ish area)

Earlier, if you've cleared the Shire, killing off every wolf and goblin etc. that came in your way, you left the Shire at lvl16. If that is not dumbing down (or speeding up, which is the same thing), then I dunno what is.

If you want to do only quests +5lvl above you, you'll miss the best part of LotRO.

For OP's question: Yep, they just did.

I can only advise everyone to buy the stone in the store for 495 tp, it allows you to stop earning xp anytime you want by just equiping it in your pocket as often as you want...  Which theoreticall allows you to do all ingame content while its still orrange and challenging.

Its the best investment i made. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I can only advise everyone to buy the stone in the store for 495 tp, it allows you to stop earning xp anytime you want by just equiping it in your pocket as often as you want...  

I have a few as well :)  and I think I posted the coupon here when it was on sale, because it's so much of a necessity for anyone who want to enjoy the world.

However, the stone's existence itself tells a lot. And it solves only the fast xp problem, not the easymode, with the stone in your pocket you won't get xp for the kill, but you'll still kill them mobs with 1-2 shots on level.

True, with the stone it's easier to reach a point where the mobs will be red, but you can't keep it that way all the time, if you re-enable xp, those mobs will turn white, then green pretty fast.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    yea , i suppose i see your point , i wasnt thinking as a brand new player , so there definitley is a fall off there..
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

WoW is more complex than LOTRO even now. And always had better combat anyway.

Not true. Unless you want to back that up with some examples? The combat thing is subjective but LOTRO has always been and still is even after the changes way more complex than WoW. I don't know about the 1% hard core raiding element of WoW, I'll grant you that probably has some complexity but WoW's base game is very simplified.

WoW was designed with little kids and casuals who had never played any kind of RPG before in mind. LOTRO was designed for Tolkien fans many of whom were also RPG fans.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Big time OP. I remember dying so many times trying to kill jagger jack, now you can pretty much just stroll into his base and kill him along with 5 or 6 of his henchmen.
    Originally posted by page975

They made the combat  easier and in effect boring to get people to buy more expansions...OK? I think Turbine just messed up their balancing big time. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

I one shot every mob in wow while pve questing, it takes at least 3 shots in lotro to kill a mob.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I suppose there is some truth to that. I was doing the goblin skirmish which was a 6 person skirmish but set it at a lower level and for my guardian I was finding it challenging.

Standard quests are pretty easy.

Some of the Rohan roving bands (can't remember what they are called) can be challenging solo.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

I one shot every mob in wow while pve questing, it takes at least 3 shots in lotro to kill a mob.

Unless you only kill mobs 3+ levels below you in WoW and 3+ levels higher in LOTRO, that's definitely not true.

And even if it was... the amount of times you have to hit a mob to kill it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

It's not completely irrelevant. He's saying that it's easier to kill mobs in one game as opposed to another where it takes more hits and therefore, theoretically, more difficult to kill allowing them more time to do damage on him. However, in LOTRO, (and I suppose wow) mobs are made to be killed so they aren't really that hard. Maybe enmasse if there are a lot of archers. I did have a lotro moment (though I think it was a bug) where I found a destroyed carriage on the road when all of a sudden all these orc archers started coming in waves and picking my health off.

I say it was a bug because I had clicked on the carriage and nothing happened. Then kept clicking on it and suddenly wave after wave of archers starter showing up.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Unless you only kill mobs 3+ levels below you in WoW and 3+ levels higher in LOTRO, that's definitely not true.

And even if it was... the amount of times you have to hit a mob to kill it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The complexity in WoW is no greater then the complexity in Rift. Last time I played I pushed no more then 3-4 buttons on both a hunter and monk.

Even though the combat is slower in Lotro it is still more complex then WoW. Shit, Minecraft is more complex then anything in WoW.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    as a lore master I dont even cast abilities any more, not because I dont want to but because my pet one shots anything at my level
    Originally posted by fascism
    as a lore master I dont even cast abilities any more, not because I dont want to but because my pet one shots anything at my level

True, while the LM retains a lot of its cool abilities it now has so much DPS that the incentive to use those abilities (at least in solo play) is pretty much gone. However, I strongly believe the huge DPS spike is a mistake and Turbine will bring it back closer to what it was before in the next patch.

I'm starting to wonder if the minstrel is a dps machine. I made one recently and can one or two shot a lot of mobs in "dissonance" stance.

I first I thought it was just the mobs I was picking but I'm finding that dissonance stance allows the minstrel to kill faster than my champion.