Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Winter Beta Progress Report

13»

Comments

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

People really need to lay of this Wow clone nonsense, it's just sad now. Few years ago i would have aggred because most games where cloning it massivily, but now? people seem to say it over the tiniest of things, and i say this as a person who plays wow still. Most of the features mentioned in this game are not even in Wow, at all, so i don't know what makes it a CLONE, yes it has a few simliar aspects, but that's far from being clone. Also concidering it has aspects from other games and some of it's own idea, it would be more a hybrid than a clone making it different

I will echo what I said once before, As a person who has loved and enjoyed Wow I just think it's a has-bean game now, the game is no longer for gamers who enjoy the epic journey, meeting new players and banding together for the final end game challenge, but more for gamers who want things instantly, insta loot, insta levels, to the point in the next xpac you can have an NPC farm for you :(. I have no hate towards the game, just very disappointed in the direction it decided to go down. It's fine if people can still enjoy and play it but I soon think it will be time for me to call it quits, when Wildstar is released as it seems it will offer the gameplay i desire.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    4 hour tutorial? Ugh.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Too much toon'ish for me, but it is clear that they both have humor and some good ideas to build on. I think this will be a success. Just not for me.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Krighton
    [mod edit]

The fact that reportedly over 1 million People put in for beta testing might have had something to do with why the vast majority of People did not, nor will not, get a beta invite. I have not evidence at hand to prove the over 1 million number, only I remember seeing it reported on these forums a few weeks back. Might be bad info, but it would not surprise me one bit if there were that many People looking to get in.

That is not "hypermarketing fail" in the slightest btw.... that is "expectations exceeding reality by light years fail" on the part of everyone that complains they didn't get one. I put in for beta and I know I got a better chance of winning the Power Ball Lotto than getting an invite for this beta.

@ Instigator-Jones... thanks for your opinions as well. Much appreciated.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by trancejeremy
    4 hour tutorial? Ugh.

Not a problem as long as it is funny.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Had no interest in this game until I saw the recent videos. While not a massive fan of sci-fi, the world has a lot of character, and the classes look like fun.  Definitely keen to check this out.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by killahh
    Everyone bashed EQN graphics, and yet these are even more garish and cartoony...

Umm... I think that is because they were expecting the same graphical style of previous Everquest games and are disappointed by the change in style.  Wildstar doesn't have all those preconceived notions of what the game would look like to worry about.

Not this again. EQ1 was cartoony. There was a change in style from EQ2, but not from EQ1, they were just going back to their roots. 

I guess EQ2 players can complain about the change in art style, although given the gumby play-doh faces in EQ2 (original non-SOGA models) they aren't really in a position to claim that EQ was ever realistic.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Everyone bashed EQN graphics, and yet these are even more garish and cartoony...

Umm... I think that is because they were expecting the same graphical style of previous Everquest games and are disappointed by the change in style.  Wildstar doesn't have all those preconceived notions of what the game would look like to worry about.

Not this again. EQ1 was cartoony. There was a change in style from EQ2, but not from EQ1, they were just going back to their roots. 

I guess EQ2 players can complain about the change in art style, although given the gumby play-doh faces in EQ2 (original non-SOGA models) they aren't really in a position to claim that EQ was ever realistic.

^ This.

When EQ first launched, the graphics were primitive enough that you could argue they were either "realistic" or "cartoony".  However, as the game developed and their graphics tech matured, it started to adopt are more "cartoony" aesthetic. 

I don't see anything wrong with EQN or even WildStar's art direction.  Both games are looking great.

• BallsoutBallsout Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Watched some video on Youtube and it looks like WoW meets Earthworm Jim.

• PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

To be fair, WS looks closer to WoW in that it has a more carefully crafted artstyle. It is stylized, but that style is very consistent from what I saw from videos and screenshots. Also the color palette etc is very appealing and clear.

Meanwhile EQN looks like someone cranked the saturation and contrast sliders to max and then dumped random colors on screen. I saw a bunch of videos and screenshots, and it almost hurts my eyes to look at this mess, honestly. On top of that, the textures generally look like some weird, slimy mush that was applied on the voxel geometry. Grass looks like green bog, rocks look like.. something done with finger paint almost. And they blur out easily. Meanwhile WS' textures are nicely painted and seem way more refined. I wonder why EQN was having such a problem just getting any sort of definition on  them and getting their colors right. You know its bad when you see a shot of a desert temple that somehow seems to be tinted blue..

• darthbuhdarthbuh Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I like the game's art style (reminiscent of WoW - TBC), humor, and variety; but at $15 per month, I'll pass.

Retired: WoW (Cataclysm), SWTOR (pre-F2P), Champions Online, City of Heroes, RIFT, Age of Conan (pre-F2P)
    On Hold: FFXIV Heavensward, Blade and Soul, Firefall
  • NemersesNemerses Member Posts: 23

I'm in the UK and I'm in the beta, so are 3 other players from my/our guild, so this is not a beta that's not a beta, just a load of crap from a very few very butt-hurt people!

its not really a 4hour tutorial while it takes a while to get to main planet, it certainly does not feel like a tutorial and you still leveling.

www.Immortals-mmo.co.uk

• jasonvsXjasonvsX Member UncommonPosts: 3
    housing is not lvl 14 ?:|
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    The Housing in this game excites me as well as the Paths, I see Medic & Engineer are the two classes coming hmmm exciting. Time to work on getting a BETA key pretty please lol
  • PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

Long time gamer... since EQ alpha in '98. I have tested / played just about every MMO to date since EQ. I have not been this excited about a game in years.

Yeah the graphics are a bit different, the game play something to get used to, and the hype is out of control. However, all the speculation from those not in beta, and the little info we get from those in the beta, and the arguments that arise are just baffling to me. Are we not all gamers? Doesn't everyone have their right to an opinion?

Some like this, some like that... to each their own, but to bash each other and their desire or lack of desire to play a game is just petty!

You play your way, I will play mine! Makes me laugh that some people think they can sway someone or force them to think a certain way about a game.

Game on dudes!