Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street to Leave Blizzard

13»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by deniter
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Three bad expansions and unrepairable damage to the game later and now he wants to leave. He should have been fired years ago. But you have to give it to him if he didn't understand something he simply removed it or gave it to everyone. 

Thanks for the memories you @#$%@#$%@#$%.

Exactly this!

Took away Affliction Locks drain mana... I played a lot of 2v2. After the removal of this iconic skill in Cata, my 2v2 two matches went from 5 minutes to 25 mins each.  I had never complained about a nerf before,  and didn't complain about this removal either. I just left shortly after. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    He may have finally noticed that the game is going nowhere and looked out for greener pastures.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Hawkster
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    WoW won't be the same without him.  I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Yeah...it can only get better.  He is leaving about....6 years too late.

I have to agree with that.  

• To leave Blizzard? Hasn't he left like 10 times already? I mean didn't he leave last month?
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Rusque

Wow, people liked ghostcrawler?

On this forum of all places people actually thought he was good for WoW and Blizzard?

My assumption is he got a nice offer from another company. Regardless of how/why he's leaving I'm happy. I hated his style of communication and I hated most of his design decisions. And I really hated how stubborn he was to react to community input, he would refuse, deny, and put down any claims of current class issues and then turn around a year later and say, "oops, guess we over-nerfed ___" Not to mention Cata and MoP sucked. For every positive thing they brought to the game, they brought two negatives.

Agreed - my main beef with the guy was primarily his condescending, overbearing attitude toward the community. It was easy to get the impression that, to him, the community was always just a collection of whiny children who should just pipe down and keep forking over their money complacently regardless of what changes were made to the game. Even though I never once posted on the official WoW forums, this attitude and the player culture it engendered was ultimately enough to get me to leave the game for good (more so than any design decision - though I was no fan of those either, largely because I could tell this attitude influenced them).

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

You have to work for a Blizzard to get the six-figure salary. And have the kind of fans that might make you to spend it on bodyguards.

• TechnoMonkeyTechnoMonkey Member UncommonPosts: 93

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OMFG THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER! 

seriously though, I AM having a party in honour of these amazing news.

November 28 will always be remembered as "get rid of an a**hole" day from now on!

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    A good flamewar tank in a complex and unforgiving job, my sympathies to whoever has to step into those shoes.
  • Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by twrule

It was easy to get the impression that, to him, the community was always just a collection of whiny children

They are.

Was the same before GC, will be the same for whoever takes his place. Fact is GC isn't really much more than Tom Chiltons flame shield. Not that your average WoW player even knows who Tom Chilton is . . .

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    I don't understand why none of you think he hasn't been sacked.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

This guy was awful for WoW/Blizzard and I am overly joyed to see him finally leave. It is like the wicked king is finally dead!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

This is very likely the first news about WoW that I've considered positive in several years.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    A small cog in a big machine, I doubt if this will affect anything.
  • VelorumVelorum Member Posts: 12

On this forum of all places people actually thought he was good for WoW and Blizzard?

My assumption is he got a nice offer from another company. Regardless of how/why he's leaving I'm happy. I hated his style of communication and I hated most of his design decisions. And I really hated how stubborn he was to react to community input, he would refuse, deny, and put down any claims of current class issues and then turn around a year later and say, "oops, guess we over-nerfed ___" Not to mention Cata and MoP sucked. For every positive thing they brought to the game, they brought two negatives.

• VelorumVelorum Member Posts: 12

Exactly the reason I left wow. This is great news! Maybe now they'll hire someone with a bit less of a "I'll do what I want and if you don't like it your free to leave" attitude...which MILLIONS have done in the past few years. Still trying to figure out how he kept his job after losing so many accounts. I may even reactivate mine now that that clown is leaving.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

Greg's been around WoW forever.

Always class, whether you agreed with him or not.

From the early days, when my son was a Game Master and I was in WoW beta, Greg made a difference.  He contributed to the game.

Been ages since I played Wow.  I am surprised Greg stayed around this long.

He's a class act and I wish him well.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Now he leaves...after trashing the game. 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by SteamRanger
    Christmas came early!

Exactly my thoughts!! Merry Christmas to all! 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Myria

Wow, I always thought the only way he was leaving Blizzard was with a toe tag.

Would be really interesting to know what brought about his leaving, but I have my doubts we'll ever know the true story.

You never do unless it's just a train wreck of a person that goes all tabloid. I really doubt GC is leaving on bad terms. He's either unhappy with the direction the game is going or as a creative person really wants something new to work on and maybe even has a new offer somewhere else.

It could be any number of possibilities.  From a rat fleeing a sinking ship, to someone over at Blizzard corporate, finally seeing the writing on the wall, after losing millions and millions of players.  Only time will tell.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Teh_Axi

It was easy to get the impression that, to him, the community was always just a collection of whiny children

They are.

Was the same before GC, will be the same for whoever takes his place. Fact is GC isn't really much more than Tom Chiltons flame shield. Not that your average WoW player even knows who Tom Chilton is . . .

Actually they are plenty and countless of mature calculating adults on the forums who engaged Dev's in an intellectual manner with concrete numbers, suggestions, and just plain forum behavior.  Sure there are the whiney nerd ragers but those are easily ignored.  Dev's like to validate their actions by saying the community is whiny children as a scapegoat, even when the community can statistically and numerically prove serious errors in their actions. 

As to whether GC is just a flame shield... I'm sure he was decisive in some of the actions Blizzard has made for WoW and isn't blame free.  Maybe no all blame but hardly blame free.

• RaassRaass Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Wow will be a lot like EQ (as far as players go) have enough to keep it going. 
  • BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

Anyway...

I don't blame him. If anyone has seen the trailer for the upcoming WoW expansion, it's not even built as a proper cinematic (not as they traditionally have). Regardless of what anyone would like to say, WoW -is- going downhill, and we can certainly expect its numbers to decrease.

He is making the right decision, and deserves better. WoW was a great legend, but it's time to move on. They're just not giving their title as much affection as they did years ago. They've also derailed the sensibility that remained when MoP released. lol

• a3rynsuna3rynsun Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Teh_Axi

They are.

I know who Tom Chilton is - I used to work with him on UO before he left for Blizzard.  :-p