Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pacific Rim MMO?

cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
How about a MMO based on Pacific Rim film? Would you like it?

Comments

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    A short single player game maybe, no way an MMO.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Or Sharktopus MMO. Pacific Rim is such garbage movie. But the asia guy would love it.
  • shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

an mmo with so many Jaegers would take away from the whole point of them being an elite few.

A single player based game, or maybe a death match system like AVP could however be fun. though I would think it would be complete trash like most movie based games of late.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

Im sure its possible and if made people would buy it, but the concept would just seem funny to me.  Werent there only a very few mech warrior things in the movie? Like 3-6?  It would be funny seeing starting zones that looks like this

http://i40.tinypic.com/11vgl54.png

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by shane242

an mmo with so many Jaegers would take away from the whole point of them being an elite few.

A single player based game, or maybe a death match system like AVP could however be fun. though I would think it would be complete trash like most movie based games of late.

Actually, you could have a the game take place after a period of peace and where piloting the Jaegers is easier.  

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

I agree that it would make a better single-player game that included a co-op online mode with a robust catalogue of scenarios and missions in addition to the main campaign or story mode. Online possibilities like the aforementioned scenarios being updated regularly and team vs team action-MOBA style gameplay would be cool, though thematically the Jaegers battling each other would be inconsistent unless explained off as "training," which would again be inconsistent with the cost and importance of each Jaeger. 

But it could be fun.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Tyserie
    Or Sharktopus MMO. Pacific Rim is such garbage movie. But the asia guy would love it.

Wow, that's not racial stereotyping at all, now is it?

It's a sad state of affairs where quality films such as Evil Dead, Pacific Rim, and Dredd when combined can't even gross as much as utter tripe like the third Transformers film. The average American moviegoer can kiss my ass.

As for an MMO... no. I would LOVE to get a quality single player game though, but that's most likely not going to happen either despite the fact that the concept is about as simple as can be. Giant robots fighting giant monsters... and our pathetic gaming industry can't get it right to save their lives.

Ah well. Can't wait for the second film; definitely going to see that one in Imax.

Edit: For clarification, there were a total of about 40 Jaegers built. The kaiju adapted to the tactics being used & started specifically targeting their pilots and power sources, that issue when combined with the immense cost of replacing destroyed units (10X the cost of a nuclear aircraft carrier) caused the UN to cease funding the Pan Pacific Defense Corps in favor of the anti-kaiju wall. This was done under the assumption that the kaiju were merely animals acting without direction, and therefore would have no interest in trying to breach it (anyone who's seen the film knows that's not true).

The four Jaegers in the film are the only ones left; Gipsy Danger, Crimson Typhoon, Cherno Alpha, and Striker Eureka (the only Mark V produced, which kicked the crap out of everything. Seriously, that thing was fucking awesome).

On a personal note, I can honestly see world governments reacting like that. Even after the wall failed, they still insisted it was the best option. Typical government inefficiency, bureaucracy, and stupidity.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

It's a sad state of affairs where quality films such as Evil Dead, Pacific Rim, and Dredd when combined can't even gross as much as utter tripe like the third Transformers film. The average American moviegoer can kiss my ass.

As for an MMO... no. I would LOVE to get a quality single player game though, but that's most likely not going to happen either despite the fact that the concept is about as simple as can be. Giant robots fighting giant monsters... and our pathetic gaming industry can't get it right to save their lives.

Ah well. Can't wait for the second film; definitely going to see that one in Imax.

Way to go.  Nice that my 12 year old can kiss your ass for liking an action movie.  

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

It's a sad state of affairs where quality films such as Evil Dead, Pacific Rim, and Dredd when combined can't even gross as much as utter tripe like the third Transformers film. The average ADULT American moviegoer can kiss my ass.

Way to go.  Nice that my 12 year old can kiss your ass for liking an action movie.  

There, clarified. Didn't think I'd have to specifically exempt kids (I don't see how they fit into the 'average American moviegoer' demographic, but there you have it).

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

MMO... No the  story is concluded (for now) and it would be weird to have to work within the "prequel" territory.

It would make a kickass multiplayer co-op game tho. You will play through each stage simply being a Kaiju encounter in a massive destroyable city scape. Up to 4 players against AI or 4 players Vs. with up to three Jagers vs a Kaiju (poverlevels scaling to fit opposition). Add to this a "alternate history" mode that replicates the known fights form the movies and let you try to change the outcome.

I think that could work with some tweaks.

But a MMO... Nope.,

This have been a good conversation

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

It's a sad state of affairs where quality films such as Evil Dead, Pacific Rim, and Dredd when combined can't even gross as much as utter tripe like the third Transformers film. The average ADULT American moviegoer can kiss my ass.

There, clarified. Didn't think I'd have to specifically exempt kids (I don't see how they fit into the 'average American moviegoer' demographic, but there you have it).

I'm with you on that , and I am American. The average films that make money are absolute crap, thank goodness for the pirates out there. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I always thought the classifications of the kaiju was rather strange, but I'd imagine it would fit well in a game.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky