Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmo will ESO resemble most

Comments

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Originally posted by djazzy
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Neverwinter Online

It doesn't even slightly resemble it.

then why does " heavily instanced " keep coming up.

My guess is it's going to be a mix of generic wow clone mmos and neverwinter.

Because anytime any instancing is brought up, it's always a case of being "heavily instanced", when in fact many don't even know what instanced means. There's a lot of phasing that much is apparent, and yes there will be some instancing, but as far as design goes, it's nothing like neverwinter. I'd say more but I can't so I'll just use general information you can find any where.

Instancing seems to be a generic derogatory term nowadays. I'd like to say more as well but I'll just agree here and state that it is nothing like Neverwinter.

Amen

I think this is an important aspect of mmorpg perception to address. It seems that very often people judge future games based on feature sets in such a way that projects the way certain features were implemented in previous games onto games that might very well implement them in very different fashions. It's the way gameplay systems interact to make a whole that matter more than the systems themselves. ESO seems to be a prime example of a game that at least begs such a conversation to be had.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by PerfArt

I think this is an important aspect of mmorpg perception to address. It seems that very often people judge future games based on feature sets in such a way that projects the way certain features were implemented in previous games onto games that might very well implement them in very different fashions. It's the way gameplay systems interact to make a whole that matter more than the systems themselves. ESO seems to be a prime example of a game that at least begs such a conversation to be had.

What really sucks is knowing what it's like and not being able to say exactly what it's like in these discussions :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148
    the graphics have an upgraded Rift feel to them. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Neverwinter Online

If you are talking about the mega-server instances being like NWN (STO and pretty much all MMOs out there now) sure, in that case you could say that ESO is "heavily instanced" (if it has a lots of players in a zone). But using that technology to balance players doesn't mean the game plays and feels like NWN.

It doesn't, anyone trying the games at convention in the last year can tell you that.

I wasn't actually talking about anything in eso. My interest in the game is 0. All I hear is the " heavily instanced " comment. But it would seem it's not very accurate. I've become a wait and see type of gamer, so regardless of what I hear nothing gets me to buy a game in the first month. It protects you from the stupid rumors ( like above ) and from buying into a pos that sinks in the first month.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Yamota
    WoW and WAR

Interested in trying it out now that you said this.

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

I think they have got a lof of inspiration from Dark Age Of Camelot so I hope they'll manage to live up to that. DAOC is still the game that is number one for me. I think I am alone when I say this but I am glad it won't be instanced PVP where two teams face of in an environment capturing a flag for nothing else than points that will give them ranks. I am glad PVP will be solved on a bigger map and hopefully the PVP will matter for the different factions. I have done my share of instanced PVP in premades and it is fun to be able to log in and just join PVP, but it destroys zone-pvp since it is much faster to get their rankpoints that way by farming PUGs than to go out in a frontier and look for a fight.

In DAOC I loved how our group roamed the frontier looking for a battle versus another group or versus an unorganised zerg. And I loved the realmpride the different realms had when an enemy took one of their keeps. Many had that realmpride because they wanted Darkness Falls (a huge dungeon good for the economy for the players realm that had it). But still the battles mattered and all that wanted PVP went to the frontier instead of into an instanced PVP scenario somewhere.

In Warhammer they had the same setup as DAOC but still they had scenarios. So people rather went to the scenarios when they wanted to rank up. The problem Warhammer did as well that I hope ESO won't do is that they gave points for taking undefended keeps. So the two armies just went to different zones and took empty keeps instead of fighting eachother. When one army was finished in one zone they just swapped zone. Extremely frustrating for people like me that wanted a good fight.

So I think and hope that ESO will resemble most to DAOC.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by PerfArt

What really sucks is knowing what it's like and not being able to say exactly what it's like in these discussions :).

AARGH! Distopia, do telepathic transmissions count as NDA breaking? Because I am on full reception mode right now, just FYI. :P
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

It will most likely resemble WoW, only with updated combat and graphics along with it's own fairly rich lore.  Basically the same plan SWTOR went for... only they didn't really upgrade the combat any... and they didn't really upgrade the graphics much now that I think about it...  Anyway.... the quality of product they deliver at launch will have far more to say with what games we compare ESO to in the future rather than any particular game feature.

People who say ESO is heavily instanced would almost certainly also describe modern WoW as heavily instanced.  Invoking Neverwinter with all it's bugs, dupes, and other issues far more brings to mind "low quality" rather than an objective comparison of it's actual game play. 

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Going by what they've said already it should be pretty obvious to anyone that has been paying attention what game ESO resembles the most.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    This game is just a combination of Skyrim and Neverwinter MMO.  Plays extremely similar to the Neverwinter game, it's all I could think of while playing beta weekend was how similar it was.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

hard to say really. dumbed down version of skyrim i guess? the combat made me die a little inside.

and no, it isn't like darkfall at all. NDA and all so i cant elaborate but i could write you a novel.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    its just like gw2 same combat system  but with a little bit better world 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by djazzy

LOTRO with ES combat

I may or may not have played the beta and that may or may not have been the impression.

That could be fun, deep lore good stories combined with voice overs..

Originally posted by Benjola

It reminds me most of Darkfall

Simmilar combat and sieges.

Better graphics though but lighter PVP mechanics.

Can't wait.

A build in PvP game... sepperated from most of the PvE  but with awesome mechanics

Neverwinter Online

Not everyone has the same definition of  Insances..

a) with the mega server technollogie there will be multiple version (cq instances very litteraly) of the same zone (confirmed)

b) ES is a game with dozens and dozens of dungeons, why wouldnt ESO have dozens and dozens of instanced dungeons?

c) They might use a lot of phasing for story telling (unconfirmed), but visible in some of then content put on line, phasing allows you to let people actually see progression don by their actions.

Instancing however does not mean small zones.....

And as soon as someone talks about instancing, everyone is talking about this and has a different idea.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• snow529snow529 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    From the leak footage from twitch, I will say TERA for dungeons and combat system, TES for story/lore, and GW2 WvW for PvP. Skilltrees? None of the leak footage I saw showed it.
    Originally posted by snow529
    From the leak footage from twitch, I will say TERA for dungeons and combat system, TES for story/lore, and GW2 WvW for PvP. Skilltrees? None of the leak footage I saw showed it.

I would say that ESO and GW2 get their inspiration from the same source.

Check this out.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Said this many times it could not be anymore like GW2 except it has worst graphics. I'd like to know what there plan for a year on because wvw which is same as cyrodil's 3 faction pvp which is also elder scrolls end game focus is not holding players in GW2 anymore.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Depends on which MMO feels the emptiest. It'll be like that.
    Originally posted by Swids2010

Said this many times it could not be anymore like GW2 except it has worst graphics. I'd like to know what there plan for a year on because wvw which is same as cyrodil's 3 faction pvp which is also elder scrolls end game focus is not holding players in GW2 anymore.

Yet DAoC is still going on.  Maybe just having 3 faction PvP isn't enough?  Maybe you need solid game design around it as well?

I couldn't stand GW2's art design, if that's what you mean by worse.  Not saying GW2 looked bad graphically, just that some styles are more subjective.  I like ESOs look.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Mix between WoW and GW2 themepark.

This is not a Elder Scroll game.

Definitely.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Neverwinter with an Elder Scrolls skin.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

DnD

GW2

:I

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by pupurun
    i think (and fear) it will be heavily ''lobbytized'' just as Neverwinter Online.Graphically as well..

It won't be lobbytized. Just google it.

Originally posted by jdnyc

Yet DAoC is still going on.  Maybe just having 3 faction PvP isn't enough?  Maybe you need solid game design around it as well?

I couldn't stand GW2's art design, if that's what you mean by worse.  Not saying GW2 looked bad graphically, just that some styles are more subjective.  I like ESOs look.

Its quite simple why GW2 is currently failing as an endgame game..

- there is no real personal rewards in  PvE, most games live from the geargrinding endgame

- there is no personal rewards from PvP (its where DAoC has realmtitles and realmpoints)

-there is no more personal story progression at end game

- there is no more character advancement at max level (its where EQ2 for example has a great AA system

All in all, the game actually stops as soon as you reach max level... and just leveling alts gets boring really quickly...

Yes i know there is an archievement system, but archievemensts are a nice way to track your characters progression... but not a means of progressing your character.

Not only ESO should learn from this, but all other MMO developers should... people that play MMO´s want their characters to progress..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

It's so easy to know that someone doesn't play GW2 when they make claims like this. My server still get queues for WvW in prime time and that was before they started the WvW Season 1 (when all the PvE achievements whores jumped into WvW). Anet is even adding a WvW map soon (Edge of the Mists) for players waiting in queue to enter Borderlands or Eternal battlegrounds.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by snow529

I would say that ESO and GW2 get their inspiration from the same source.

Check this out.

He was the man that brought Atlantis to the realms of Camelot..

which is the 2nd greatest failure in mmo history after NGE.