Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Diablo 3: Hey Blizzard! Thanks for the Crusader!

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Do you have any examples of D3 articles you've written that take Blizzard to task for not giving a worthy successor to D2 or explained why so many were unhappy?

Because it's Thanksgiving and, honestly, I'm too groggy from cooking all day to really want to get into a lengthy discussion or argument over this issue, I will say just this: EVERY article, every comment in a thread, every Twitter post, Twitch broadcast, podcast, name whatever you like thing, is a subjective opinion based on the experiences of the writer/speaker. There will be those who are happy with what's written and those who are not. It's pretty much that simple. No site or newspaper or broadcast channel can please 100% of their audience no matter what is said and by whom. Call it human nature to be divided and divisive.

You think D3 is a lousy game. Great. That's your opinion. I happen to think otherwise. That's my opinion. I'm happy agreeing to disagree and if you'd written an article vilifying the game, I would have read it and moved on understanding that different people think different things.  

This article was not supposed to be hard hitting journalism. Please. Get over the idea that this was supposed to be anything other than a fun piece for what was a fun day until I came here to read the comments.

Should've just had that pumpkin pie instead. ;)

So, adios, vaya con Dios, farewell, adieu, good night. 

They basically did the same thing with the GW2s Oath and pledging loyalty to get a free copy.  Many people take things to serious!  Perhaps today it was they were all tired from eating turkey, drinking beer, and watching their favorite football team lose that gave them heartburn about your article. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

She's such a shill for D3 it's ridiculous.

None of what's been announced is all that great.  it just puts them at a spot where they should have launched at, and its still missing ladders and PVP.  And you have to spend another $40 to get what we should have had over a year and a half ago.

Every column is just free advertising anyway.

Yes, she enjoys the game and wrote an article about it, so she must be a shill. That's not even worth an implied facepalm.

The game was FINE at launch. It didn't 'need' to be any-fucking-where. Just because you didn't get Diablo 2 with updated graphics (and thank GOD for that) doesn't mean the game was or is bad, and it most certainly doesn't mean Blizzard owes you something (as implied).

[mod edit]

Edit: Oh, and just because you didn't like D3 doesn't mean it wasn't / isn't a worthy successor to D2. Quite honestly, I don't think you people would've been happy with ANYTHING Blizzard did.

D3 surpasses D2 in almost every way possible, period.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I like how the article sounds like its a prayer while talking about the crusader class. Nice touch.

Maybe we can expect in the next installment of diablo that his minions are other non-christian religions as well, and I'm sure in a world of south park, it does not matter, but I can only imagine the shit storm in the real world of being politically correct.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

Yeeah crusader, I mean, they could've gone with a more creative class like their witch doctor but no yeah, keep up the cliches. Every time I think about this class I'm mentally mauled by images of that hammer-tossing, gimmicky pile of hacked items that the D2's lowest common denominator loved so much.

Okay so we have the obligatory holy warrior finally tossed in- what next?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I think some people expect too much of the writers on this site. Absolutely nothing against the writers, I genuinely love this site. But I think people expect "Dateline MMORPG" hard hitting reports from inside the industry. They want interviews where they try and piss off the dev, articles that come off as bitter as many forum posters are.

Sorry, this is more akin to being a big MMORPG fan site. These are MMO enthusiasts who do this as a second job. They aren't hard hitting journalists looking to expose the industry. Not that anyone really is doing that because that's a sure fire way to not get any information or interviews ever again...

So basically, just chill out people. Learn to relax a little bit.

[mod edit]

If you want to take such a stance I have to ask, why would you even visit this type of site and add to their "clicks" if you feel this way? If you're trying to make them stand on principle, shouldn't you be? This is a gaming site first and foremost, a site run by gamers (who still enjoy gaming, a novel concept ). These types of sites are enthusiast in nature, it's not about hard hitting journalism, it's largely opinion based and will always be.

The only place you'll find what you're looking for is on the fringe of gaming, people bitter enough about it to take up a crusade against it... It's not exactly hard to find, so I'm not sure how you end up here in the mainstream expecting something that will never happen.

There's nothing wrong with what MMORPG or sites like it do, you just have to understand what they do to realize that. They still expect you to make up your own mind, this isn't a hive.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Meh, Diablo 3 was the fasted selling AARPG because it built upon the reputations of Diablo and Diablo 2, both games which were created by developers who truly had a passion for the genre they were working in and were gamers themselves making games for other gamers.

Diablo 3 in retrospect was made out of greed and the developers that worked on it are arrogant and rude. Need proof?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/that-loser/

I refuse to support Blizzard after reading that. They clearly no longer hire competent developers.

Smile

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

[mod edit]

@solar_Prophet- Many fans would like to disagree, hence why its considered the death of the franchise. The only thing done better this time around is the combat, but everything else is by far subpar, catering to the casual masses. Tired of every game getting dumbed down.

----------------------------------

Too much screwing of the consumer mostly in the pc area(mmorpgs mostly). Graphics aren't an issue  due to software holdiing it back, so the developers should be making a complete game with depth and great foundations instead of trying to make another uninnovative WoW clone with slightly better graphics so they can sell them on consoles. Games are now follow this formula XYZ and make a slight variable usually the IP and some other gimmick to make money. First make a great game then money will be rewarded to you. They should start making mmorpgs have no purcahse fee, but have all their revenue generated from subscriptions; that way their livelyhood is banking on player retention; thus forcing them to make great games.

MurderHerd

• marremurtmarremurt Member UncommonPosts: 45

this game already destroyed their reputation, and im 1 of those who will never return to it.

and seeing tons of news about diablo 3 makes me wonder, how can you make some much news about this game when they took like a year to do a simple change, remove the RMT, now its to late and im pretty sure im not the only one who will never set my foots on this game again.

And the other reason is, asking for Money to get this reaper update is just even worse, when they already destroyed game once.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I like the class but i always prefer knight in shining armor type paladin. This just doesn't feel like that fantasy and gives me too much militaristic vibes for some reason. Still gonna play it tho.
  • xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

I personally am happy that this website is around and giving me information on current/future games.  I imagine that running mmorpg.com has  costs.  I  bet they get money for advertising and I am happy they do.  I would really be disappointed if mmorpg.com was not around due not having money to run it.

Good write up :)

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Meh, Diablo 3 was the fasted selling AARPG because it built upon the reputations of Diablo and Diablo 2, both games which were created by developers who truly had a passion for the genre they were working in and were gamers themselves making games for other gamers.

Diablo 3 in retrospect was made out of greed and the developers that worked on it are arrogant and rude. Need proof?

I refuse to support Blizzard after reading that. They clearly no longer hire competent developers.

+1 and thanks for sharing.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    not an MMO why is it being reported on, dont you have a sister rpg site that this can go to.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

What's that I hear? Ah, yes, the bleat of the internet herd!

Someone has written something nice about D3, such heresy cannot be allowed to stand!!1!!1!one!!!

Kind of amusing, if depressingly predictable, to see a lighthearted piece about the D3 crusader bring out the legions of anti-D3 crusaders who somehow believe they can make everyone believe a hugely successful game was a failure by flogging every logical fallacy in the book.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

SMH @ the comments here.

when i think the community here can't get any worse i am proven wrong yet again.

just horrid.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Radoo

Yet it sold more than 14 million copies and millions of people worldwide still play it every week.  I guess they all haven't got the memo about your "proof."  Or maybe they enjoy playing the game. You must be horrified. All those millions of fake posters  and shills having fun. How dare they. 

The amount of game copies sold has nothing to do with the amount of people still playing.

That said, let me inform you then that the European server is almost deserted....so ....what are you even trying to say?

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by SBFord

Do you have any examples of D3 articles you've written that take Blizzard to task for not giving a worthy successor to D2 or explained why so many were unhappy?

Because it's Thanksgiving and, honestly, I'm too groggy from cooking all day to really want to get into a lengthy discussion or argument over this issue, I will say just this: EVERY article, every comment in a thread, every Twitter post, Twitch broadcast, podcast, name whatever you like thing, is a subjective opinion based on the experiences of the writer/speaker. There will be those who are happy with what's written and those who are not. It's pretty much that simple. No site or newspaper or broadcast channel can please 100% of their audience no matter what is said and by whom. Call it human nature to be divided and divisive.

You think D3 is a lousy game. Great. That's your opinion. I happen to think otherwise. That's my opinion. I'm happy agreeing to disagree and if you'd written an article vilifying the game, I would have read it and moved on understanding that different people think different things.  

This article was not supposed to be hard hitting journalism. Please. Get over the idea that this was supposed to be anything other than a fun piece for what was a fun day until I came here to read the comments.

Should've just had that pumpkin pie instead. ;)

So, adios, vaya con Dios, farewell, adieu, good night. 

Good for you for standing up for your article if other people don't like it oh well, you can't please everyone.......

God, people on this site are something else..........

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Radoo

Yet it sold more than 14 million copies and millions of people worldwide still play it every week.  I guess they all haven't got the memo about your "proof."  Or maybe they enjoy playing the game. You must be horrified. All those millions of fake posters  and shills having fun. How dare they. 

Clearly you didn't read the part where I wrote the only reason Diablo 3 sold that many copies was because of the stellar reputation of the first two games.

Diablo 3 would have never sold that many copies without those two games paving the way for it. People waited 10 years for the third game, so obviously they were excited. I doubt anyone was ecstatic about the RMT or DRM policies.

But who knows... You may be a gold seller for all I know.

Smile

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    [mod edit]
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Sorry I am missing something here? I came here to read an article, and I did and I rather enjoyed it.  Whats all this about adverts and crap like that?

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

95% of my time is spent on the forums where people actually discuss the games good and bad attributes.  I'm not looking for "hater" sites.  I'm looking for honest discussion and preferably a site whose writers are advocates for the players, not the advertisers.  I haven't found that site yet.

Simply because writers don't agree with your view of things, that makes their opinions less valuable than yours. I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. :P

Is it possible that I advocate for, you know, the players who like Diablo 3 as it is, was and forever shall be, Amen? :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by Tsumoro
    Sorry I am missing something here? I came here to read an article, and I did and I rather enjoyed it.  Whats all this about adverts and crap like that?

Article on what exactly? All She typed was basic knowledge about the Paladin class, while not subjecting the game to critism in the least bit. That is why we are angry. We come here to find facts about mmorpgs, not to have fans telling us why we should play the game they're promoting. Now if she got inside information and did an interview with the developers discussing changes that will be effecting the game to make it how the core fanbase would like it, then it would be a good article; until then this is 3rd rate journalism with very blantant bias with no substance other than "this game is going to be great", followed by a monetary check to the write from Blizzard.

MurderHerd

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by IsilithTehroth
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

Article on what exactly? All She typed was basic knowledge about the Paladin class, while not subjecting the game to critism in the least bit. That is why we are angry. We come here to find facts about mmorpgs, not to have fans telling us why we should play the game they're promoting. Now if she got inside information and did an interview with the developers discussing changes that will be effecting the game to make it how the core fanbase would like it, then it would be a good article; until then this is 3rd rate journalism with very blantant bias with no substance other than "this game is going to be great", followed by a monetary check to the write from Blizzard.

1. You shouldn't get angry over a video game or site. That's not healthy.

2. It was not intended to be a critique of the class or the game. It was totally designed to be fluff. After a paragraph or two, perhaps moving on might have been a wise move.

3. If you think Blizzard pays me (or any of us) a dime, you'd be sorely mistaken, as my bank account balance can attest.

Geez, people. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

And following that, can we keep this all on topic. This isn't about the site or its editorial policy, and if you have anything you'd like to suggest as far as coverage or questions about our policy, take that to the Site Suggestions forum. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    D3 is not a good game, and it would be foolish to open the wallet again to finally get a good game.

Blizzard has lost it's magic. It no longer feels like a company of people who love games, and want to build great games. No, D3 shows us Blizzard is about finding the right point of minimal effort, so-so fun, but maximum profit.

This expansion should be free or a couple bucks as a way for Blizzard to apologize for letting fans down. $40? That's truly adding insult to injury, and I can almost hear Blizzard laughing at its fans.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by wormed
    [mod edit]

I can get behind this statement. In following the OP's lead on this one I'd like to say:

I am thankful that my brother didn't want this game on his birthday. It is because of this that I only shelled out the money for 2 copies of this mediocre title at best rather than buying 3 copies. 

I am thankful my best friend is finally realizing that Blizzard products have turned to trash so we can move on rather than him convincing me to give their games another try.

I am thankful my wife got to experience her first ARPG title because of D3. Unfortunately for us both it was D3.....

I am also thankful that my best friends wife still loves and plays Blizzard products because she is at least honest enough to address the ugly with the good so I can get my info from a source I trust rather than reading this type of piece and getting let down yet again, Oh and happy thanksgiving to you to OP, my enjoyment of the holidays has little to do with my comments on these boards buy ty for telling us what we should be doing :)

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.