Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Stylized Graphics All Up In Your MMO Space?

SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Hey there MMORPGers. I have a question for you and would love any feedback you have for it.

Let's say you are considering playing an open-world science fantasy mmo influenced by Spelljammer, Skies of Arcadia, and Dune. If this mmo had stylized graphics (not for the sake of performance, but for atmospheric direction) that were influenced heavily by 70s prog rock album covers and Frank Frazetta paintings, how would the inclusion of that visual direction affect your desire to play the game, assuming that it otherwise had the gameplay features you were looking for?

Thanks in advance. Smooches!

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

That's a bit too specific, isn't it? If I like the style it will encourage me to play it.

Overly realistic MMOs would only alienate players with lesser PCs. And it would be outdated within a couple of years. The maintenance to keep such games up to date to even look alright would be too massive to actually bother with. If you can marry stylized graphics with realism it will probably fit right up my alley.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I honestly don't care about graphics, they're just eye candy.  I care about gameplay and community.  If the game is really fun to play and the people are really great to be around, I don't care if it's stick figures or no graphics at all, I'm in.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Yeah my options are a bit specific, but I made them quickly :/ Thanks for the response!
  • It would affect me well. Dune was a good game. Only played alittle of it.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Yeah my options are a bit specific, but I made them quickly :/ Thanks for the response!

Well, it's a good question nevertheless. I would most likely avoid certain styles no matter what. Wildstar and EQN both have valid visual design but they also look as if their facial features were glued on. The eyes look like stickers. That's not to say that I wouldn't play them. If any of them offers gameplay and features I enjoy, I'd dive straight into them.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Cartoon graphics ....just plain NO.
    Note that "stylized" does not mean "cartoon", though that is the most common application of said approach.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

While "Yes! I love Yes! Take my money!" is a bit overboard, it is closest to my selection which would be "If the gameplay is as cool as the graphics you describe, sign me up."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Gameplay is most important to me, but I have to admit I do slightly prefer cartoony to "gritty"

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Disney or WoW style graphics is a major put off for me. They say realism doesn't age well but that kind of style looks terrible on day one. WoW looked like crap even by 2004 standards and was one of the major reasons I did not play WoW vanilla.

I will admit some stylized graphics can look good though. Lineage II has almost a timeless look to it that still holds up after ten years. That should be the standard MMO devs should be looking for. Make graphics that can still look good ten years after release. Of all the games out right now FFXIV has the best bet at still looking good in 10 years. Conversely EQ-Next already looks dated and it is not even out yet.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Novusod

Disney or WoW style graphics is a major put off for me. They say realism doesn't age well but that kind of style looks terrible on day one. WoW looked like crap even by 2004 standards and was one of the major reasons I did not play WoW vanilla.

I will admit some stylized graphics can look good though. Lineage II has almost a timeless look to it that still holds up after ten years. That should be the standard MMO devs should be looking for. Make graphics that can still look good ten years after release. Of all the games out right now FFXIV has the best bet at still looking good in 10 years. Conversely EQ-Next already looks dated and it is not even out yet.

Mostly agree with that, tbh WoW's graphic style was probably the result of limited PC hardware 'back in the day' but there isnt really any excuse for it now, i think it all does kind of depend on what the 'style' is in the 'stylized' graphics, some games its an immediate turn off, (borderlands, EQN, wildstar) but others not so bad, i just put it down to the various games just going over the top with the stylised bit until it just looks stupid.image

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Certainly, I think that could work really well. Equally, I've always thought than an MMO based in the Elric/Stormbringer universe would suit a Rodney Matthews-inspired art-design.  I generally tend to prefer darker/grittier looking visuals, but a distinctive and striking stylized look can be very effective.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I hated wow graphics and swore I'd never play that stupid looking game...then I played for 4 years. So game play is way more important to me than graphics...but if I had a choice I'd rather have both. I can however overlook most graphics styles and even quality if I like the game enough.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

The thing about realistic graphics "not aging well" is not true in my opinion. Any game is going to look dated after 5+ years but personally I'll still take EQ2 graphics over WoW graphics any day.

I'd still play your stylized game if it had awesome gameplay but the cartoon look is a turnoff for me so your gameplay will have to compensate for that.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    I prefer stylized art over realistic, especially in a fantasy setting, it allows the artists more liberty in creating what, to me, feels like a fantasy world. I like alien looking flora and crazy monsters and all that jazz.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by iridescence

The thing about realistic graphics "not aging well" is not true in my opinion. Any game is going to look dated after 5+ years but personally I'll still take EQ2 graphics over WoW graphics any day.

I'd still play your stylized game if it had awesome gameplay but the cartoon look is a turnoff for me so your gameplay will have to compensate for that.

It's funny how different people's taste can be. I loved (and still love) WoW's design and never got anywhere near EQ2 because it looks SO VERY ugly to me. I'm glad with their change of art style in EQN, very very glad.

Anyway, on topic; I voted "It would depend on the level of graphic detail, style notwithstanding."

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I rather have realism, but if the art is done well and has great detail the I wouldn't mind as mind, epscially since the gameplay is what most of us care about anyways.

MurderHerd

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

gameplay is king and pvp options for me hehe...

fav graphics for me have gw2, which i think fall in between the extremes... I am no designer so I could be misspeaking...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

If the stylization of the artwork fits the mood of the environment and enhances gameplay experience, then by all means yes.

However, art for arts sake (photoreal or otherwise), adds little on its own for me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

As far as graphic style goes, I have played everything from Eden Eternal to Age of Conan.  Enjoyed them both.  It really doesn't matter on how 'realistic' they are to me.  What matters most is how the graphic style meshes with the 'feel' of the world.  e. Animations, environment, interactions, etc.

I actually prefer styled graphics to a tailored game world.  If I want to see realistic people and environments...I will go outside.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Thanks for the input, all. :) I appreciate the substantiation of viewpoints very much. I know that for most players of a genre that potentially takes up so much time, graphics are generally not the most important element when compared to gameplay, but they do matter in varying degrees from player to player... and having a visually engaging world certainly does help facilitate immersiveness (whatever that is :P) Thanks again.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Normally, I am a 'Don't care as long as the look is consistent' kinda guy, fairly agnostic:  but that particular art motif gets the 'Take my money!' response.   The Dean/Mathews record cover looks are pretty cool in my book.

The game's art will be a potent first impression.   Folks see that long before they figure out how the game actually plays.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

"Realistic" can be acceptable long term if the MMOs art team actually knows what real humans look like unlike Funcom.

Age of Conan probably hurt peoples perception of realistic graphics for MMOs.

But "realistic" graphics do age poorly when compared to "stylized" graphics.