Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To go where no WoW has gone before

PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55

You have to give them credit. They knew more swords and gnomes in an "villageroth" would mean no subs. So they took it where no clone has gone before. SPACE! The final wow frontier. 

I mean seriously. Look at the design. The use of the large hands and feet and shoulders to give armor pieces that exagerated look (marketing trick).

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

I wish a little originality was used. But this is one title not getting my money. I mean why? When I can just slap it down on my old WoW account? Oh yeah...because he is using a laser, not a hammer. OH OK! count me in....

This: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/view/screens/display/26182

vs

http://www.legendra.com/media/screenshots/pc/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm_screen_12.jpg

-.-

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

How about, for once, we don't give a rat-ass about WoW and simply enjoy the games we play without worrying what other MMORPGS are doing or whether they are dying. 

Please..

It's been too many years of this same old shit.

"Haha. This game's graphic is 10x better than Wow" 

"WoW killer #1337!"

"This game is gonna destroy WoW!

Personally. I don't play WoW but that doesn't give me the right to shit on it because there are players that do play and they enjoy it. So why would anyone waste time trying to shit over a game that clearly isn't going to solve anything or helping at all for that matter. Please. And thank you.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

How is this even remotely similar to WoW?

Large hands and legs? Maybe then you shouldn't be looking at the race which is made to be a Grunt. I would love to see you explain your large hands logic with a Chua.

Colour palette? What on earth are you talking about? The screenshots you linked yourself show the distinctive colours. Might as well go boycott EQN and every other game.

You don't want to give them your money? Oh noes, Wildstar will surely be bankrupt now.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Obviously they've taken a lot of the surefire and tested&true mechanics from WoW. Then again, they have copied a lot of other games too.

For me, the deal breaker is the subscription. If I hear the leveling experience is really good I might snatch the box including 30 days and "beat" the game in that time.

Sub games are so last decade. B2P is the future.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Wildstar Online isn't going to kill WoW, we all know that Hello Kitty Online already did that.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Whiplash931Whiplash931 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Obviously they've taken a lot of the surefire and tested&true mechanics from WoW. Then again, they have copied a lot of other games too.

For me, the deal breaker is the subscription. If I hear the leveling experience is really good I might snatch the box including 30 days and "beat" the game in that time.

Sub games generally weed out  kids and some of the gold farmers. My best advice to you is to try and get a trial code from a buddy or something when the game goes live and try it out.....decide then if you think its worth 15 bucks a month. I have high hopes for Wildstar.....but I've had high hopes for many MMO's over the years. 

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69

Well OP you've obviously done your research. WoW has for years had limited actions sets, telegraphs, action based combat/movement, a "Path" system, housing, customizable Warplots for 40 v 40 guild battles (where you can place captured raid bosses for use in battles).

Now if none of these features interest you, then I can see your lack of interest but there is quite a bit within Wildstar that is different from WoW. 

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

If you can check out soundtrack. Its very good , almost like WoW's ... wink wink

But really is that so bad ?

I mean WOW needs replacement. Its time someone remade and upgraded WOW. Blizzard certanly doesnt want to do it.

Wildstar just copies WOW than slaps all this extra stuff on it.

I can see it being pretty popular. Even with subs (although they would certanly smarter not to have them)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Wildstar Online isn't going to kill WoW, we all know that Hello Kitty Online already did that.

no no Pirates 101

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    What was the point in this thread?
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Papaprika

You have to give them credit. They knew more swords and gnomes in an "villageroth" would mean no subs. So they took it where no clone has gone before. SPACE! The final wow frontier. 

I mean seriously. Look at the design. The use of the large hands and feet and shoulders to give armor pieces that exagerated look (marketing trick).

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

I wish a little originality was used. But this is one title not getting my money. I mean why? When I can just slap it down on my old WoW account? Oh yeah...because he is using a laser, not a hammer. OH OK! count me in....

vs

http://www.legendra.com/media/screenshots/pc/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm/world_of_warcraft__cataclysm_screen_12.jpg

-.-

Your ignorance, it amuses us so much....

I'd say that Wildstar is a mis-mashed blend of GW2 and WoW [and space] altogether.    Why?   Because the combat has active-dodging and nearly all abilities are direction based with an AOE style hit; meaning a creature/person doesn't have to be targeted to be hit by an attack.   That's a huge step up from WoW in the most basic mechanics:  combat.     Another thing to note is the War Fortresses that is very similar to GW1's GvG fights, with a touch better update from the GW2 WvW fights.

Another thing of note is that Wildstar has it's Paths system, which allows for people to supplement their own gameplay style besides just generic questing available for everyone.    The game will have player housing out of the gate, not something tacked on an expansion some 10 years after launch (WoW).    Just....it's overall better than WoW.   

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Whiplash931
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Sub games generally weed out  kids and some of the gold farmers.

Like it did in wow ?

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Siphaed

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

vs

-.-

Your ignorance, it amuses us so much....

I'd say that Wildstar is a mis-mashed blend of GW2 and WoW [and space] altogether.    Why?   Because the combat has active-dodging and nearly all abilities are direction based with an AOE style hit; meaning a creature/person doesn't have to be targeted to be hit by an attack.   That's a huge step up from WoW in the most basic mechanics:  combat.     Another thing to note is the War Fortresses that is very similar to GW1's GvG fights, with a touch better update from the GW2 WvW fights.

Another thing of note is that Wildstar has it's Paths system, which allows for people to supplement their own gameplay style besides just generic questing available for everyone.    The game will have player housing out of the gate, not something tacked on an expansion some 10 years after launch (WoW).    Just....it's overall better than WoW.   

Just like AoC was suppose to be better than WoW?  Ohhh... wait... then it was SWTOR, then it was Rift, then it was TSW, then it was TERA, then it was GW2, then it was FF XIV ARR.  And yet WoW is still the dominate MMO.

Atm Wildstar is just yet another MMO on the hype train.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by DrinkFeck
    What was the point in this thread?

To rile people up, of course.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    You neglected to mention the part where WoW will look less dated than Wildstar when the updated character models arrive.
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

That color palete. 

I am being dissapointed myself by the art direction this game went, but to compare it to WoW...

is like comparing two cartoons to each other.... yes, they are both colorful and cartoony... so is every cartoon a rip off of every other cartoon? I didn't know Mickey Mouse was a clone of Bugs Bunny... Some new s*it being uncovered here.

This game is also a clone of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, because they both have WASD movement. Shame on them...

• Originally posted by reeereee
    You neglected to mention the part where WoW will look less dated than Wildstar when the updated character models arrive.

Lol, this so much. Why, in the last 5 years - with the technology available to game developers - would they make a game that is so bad visually? I mean yeah, it's an art style, but even the textures look very bland. 

Anyway, the game play itself looks more geared towards the 10-12 year old group, in my opinion.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I'll be playing at launch.... and I'll play wow as well....

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

vs

-.-

I honestly thought these were pics from the same game untill i saw it said wildstar on the bottom right.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

vs

-.-

You do know that you don't have to play the game right ? Their not holding a gun to your head and demanding you pay $15.00 a month and you MUST play the game. 

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

That color palete. 

Textures, etc...

vs

-.-

I honestly thought these were pics from the same game untill i saw it said wildstar on the bottom right.

I did too at first. They do look a lot alike. I have not really looked into Wildstar much so cant comment on any other features. But it sure does look a lot like WoW to me. 

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    The screenshots look quite different. Guess all people look the same to some of you guys.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Artistically it is VERY reminiscent of WOW.  It's basically a more cartoony WOW with almost identical color palettes.  That doesn't really bother me as modern graphics still suffer from the uncanny valley that cartoony and stylized graphics help alleviate.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Many of the devs who worked on vanilla WoW are making a game which looks similar to WoW? That's fucking shocking!
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Artistically it is VERY reminiscent of WOW.  It's basically a more cartoony WOW with almost identical color palettes.  That doesn't really bother me as modern graphics still suffer from the uncanny valley that cartoony and stylized graphics help alleviate.

The cartoony graphics of Wildstar is the one feature I am NOT looking forward to. I even played WoW for a month just to acclimate myself better so I don't flinch and throw my computer out my office window.

However, even if it has cartoony graphics, Wildstar does have many large and small features, game mechanics, and design details that I am looking for in my next multi-year MMO, so I would be a fool not to consider it.

It's got Player Housing that makes LotRO's Housing look like the extended vault storage it is. It's got a combat system that (I believe) will be easy to play, hard to master... like WoW... and I don't like WoW, but this part Blizzard did do well originally. It's got Devs that have a sense of humor, let's hope they keep it. It's got a Game world storyline (from what I have caught glimpses of) that makes sense to me and seems very plausible, and will enhance my immersion in that world, despite the Saturday Morning Cornflake graphics. The list for me goes on and on.

AND it's a SciFi MMO. I have been asking on these forums for years for a SciFi Planet based MMO, None full PvP, and now we will soon have it with WildStar. "It Tasks Me" fits well this situation. I love SciFi MMOs.

• ColdMadnessColdMadness Member Posts: 7

I've played WoW until lvl 90 and I think the only thing (except the graphics) which is gonna be almost the same is the quest system. Wildstar's cartoonish and bright graphics seem to be awesome and I like it way better than the typical medieval flare which you get to see in almost every new MMO. 

Let's just hope that the endgame raid dungeons are different compared to the ones in WoW 'cause that's what I hated about it. The 5 people group dungeons were fun but in the endgame you basically just need good gear to be anywhere near those people who get around 90k dps and are always on top in the dmg listing. There was no strategy at all. Just a lot of people complaining about how stupid and weak the people in the random raids were. Sometimes we had to wait about 30 minutes until someone really explained a strategy and even then the dps classes just hit the same key over and over again.

But hey, almost all MMOs have a 'boring' gameplay. I mean this is no Devil May Cry or a FPS. You shouldn't have too high expectations.