Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a sense of threat? Of this being the apocalypse?

goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Just a question as I'm potentially looking to buy this game now it's on sale.

But is there any sense of threat? Of this being the apocalypse?

An easy comparison would be Firefall a game from which I enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay but which lacked any sense of threat.

In Firefall I spend all my time running from mission to mission, usually plenty of people there so they finish fast and then it's back to travelling to the next one. There's absolutely no sense of threat or apocalypse in that game. The chosen aren't a threat to humanity's survival, we are to theirs. They're getting farmed whenever they show up.

So I'm kinda hoping Defiance might be different? Do the missions feel in any way threatening? Is it like Firefall just running from mission to mission to basically farm them or is there some actual sense of pressure? A sense that you can lose?

We are the bunny.
Resistance is futile.
''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
(")("),,(")("),(")(")

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

To me Firefall seemed much more like a playground. You run around, do a couple of missions, call a thumper - have fun with little progression.

Defiance is much more like a "traditional MMO" in the sense that you do quests, progress in a story, run dungeons, cluster around arkfalls. I see what you mean by open-world threat, but unless you don't go into an area much stronger than yourself, there isn't much of that sandbox open-world threat feeling.

It is quite different to Firefall, that is for sure. But the feeling of an open-world threat is most likely not one of the features that spring to mind. :)

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by gobla

Just a question as I'm potentially looking to buy this game now it's on sale.

But is there any sense of threat? Of this being the apocalypse?

An easy comparison would be Firefall a game from which I enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay but which lacked any sense of threat.

In Firefall I spend all my time running from mission to mission, usually plenty of people there so they finish fast and then it's back to travelling to the next one. There's absolutely no sense of threat or apocalypse in that game. The chosen aren't a threat to humanity's survival, we are to theirs. They're getting farmed whenever they show up.

So I'm kinda hoping Defiance might be different? Do the missions feel in any way threatening? Is it like Firefall just running from mission to mission to basically farm them or is there some actual sense of pressure? A sense that you can lose?

It has a good (may as well be single player) central story line, but this is very short and the tasks that surround it rather repetitive.  So don't expect to be playing for long.  

As for a sense of threat... the first time through I found the quest line quite immersive; and aspects of it were very well designed and moderately difficult but I never had the spectre of failure haunting me. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't think any mmo ever really has a sense of doom and or impending apocalypse. The worlds are just too static to ever really get that feeling.

at best you can get some dark lighting and a few lines of chat from some npc talking about the end being near.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't think any mmo ever really has a sense of doom and or impending apocalypse. The worlds are just too static to ever really get that feeling.

at best you can get some dark lighting and a few lines of chat from some npc talking about the end being near.

Unfourtunately this. The only two MMOs I can think of that had any sense of impending doom was Asheron's Call 1 where they had monthly events and in one even a town was leveled to the ground! Then there was ShadowBane where your city could, and often would, turn into dust by an invading party.

However those times are sadly over... these days MMOs are easy with endgame raiding, which altought can be hard, really does not mean much if you fail. You just do it over and over until you succeed. Failure means nothing in MMOs these days.