Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Tanks: History of Wargaming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wargaming has just launched its second title after the juggernaut that is World of Tanks took the world by storm over the past few years. We take a look at Wargaming's history and much more. Read on!

The online giant started much like other runaway trains do: slowly. Fifteen years ago, Belarusian brothers Victor and Eugene Kislyi were just a couple of strategy-game-loving young guys writing fan letters to Sid Meier. Obsessed with historical, turn-based, multiplayer games, upon reaching college age, they ignored the usual vocational avenues and decided to make their own game. Today, that doesn't sound like such a risky prospect, but in 1996—especially in Belarus—it was unheard of. Fortunately, the brothers had three important things going for them: dedication, parental (read “financial”) support, and a circle of enthusiastic friends with a talent for computer programming. As Victor Kislyi remembers it:

“We used our own personal savings to bring the first title into development. Being so young and passionate about video games, we didn’t think twice when it came to supporting our dreams financially. The team didn’t have a secure financial situation during those times, so we were experimenting, prototyping and learning while making these bold moves.”

Read more of Neilie Johnson's History of Wargaming.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Oh look, another article about Wargaming. Wonder if this one's as much of a self-stroke as the rest of their "articles"?

Yes ... yes it is.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

For all world of tanks keyboard breaking mechanics ( FU that shot just bounced! ) is has, it's still a great game. I can't stand playing it anymore because of how much it makes me nerd rage in pugs...but it was a lot of good times.

Lightning sure isn't striking twice with that next pile of.....yeah.. wowp is.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356

Well, his article is gushing with praise but for me personally after 2 years with WOT, the arty changes ruined the game and made it into a silly kids game. World of Warplanes is a massive fail and Gaijin with War of Thunder have beaten them there.

Keeping my eyes open for world of battleships to see if they will be able to capture the early Worldof Tanks atmosphere or if they will follow in the footsteps of World of Warplanes and what WOT is now.

• R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

That makes me wonder why there is no WarThunder on MMORPG.com?

I mean, WoT and WoWP are here (although some say it does not fit) so why not WarThunder? Literally, it is all that WG tried to do but in WT it is done better.
    Bigger maps, achievements, garage battles, history and simulations modes - all that WG promised long time ago and failed to deliver is in WarThunder. And yet, MMORPG.COM is still promoting WoT/WoWP.

Soon, in the beginning of December, they will start closed beta of their ground forces and as far as I understand it will be integrated in one client. Not sure if they will be playing on the same battlefields but even if not - it is still batter then having to install and lunch two separate games like WoT/WoWP.

So why there is no game page for WarThunder? Is there some reason behind it that I can't see, other then some conspiracy theories?

B)
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Great game, horrible company based in Minsk that screws over the NA playerbase with off the chart "deals" that give you worse gold per $ value.  All you have to do is head over to the forums and read the "Specials" and notice the Black Friday and Cyber Monday prices have not been posted yet and it's Thursday PM.

Edit:

1)  Game DOES NOT have 70 million players, it has 70 million accounts, half of which have been shown to be inactive and NEVER played and that doesn't include the popular Forum reputation accounts.

2)  It is an arcade shooter controlled by a random +/- 25% Random Number Generator.  Most players would agree that the Panther and Tiger lines are some of the worst tanks in game.  How's that for historical.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by rbialo

That makes me wonder why there is no WarThunder on MMORPG.com?

I mean, WoT and WoWP are here (although some say it does not fit) so why not WarThunder? Literally, it is all that WG tried to do but in WT it is done better.
    Bigger maps, achievements, garage battles, history and simulations modes - all that WG promised long time ago and failed to deliver is in WarThunder. And yet, MMORPG.COM is still promoting WoT/WoWP.

Soon, in the beginning of December, they will start closed beta of their ground forces and as far as I understand it will be integrated in one client. Not sure if they will be playing on the same battlefields but even if not - it is still batter then having to install and lunch two separate games like WoT/WoWP.

So why there is no game page for WarThunder? Is there some reason behind it that I can't see, other then some conspiracy theories?

I'm sure what you mean is why the endless gushing fan-boi type articles, I'm thinking it's all about $....

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Didn't I just read two other articles like this recently on this site in the past few months?
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I really enjoy WoT, great game. The only thing about it that pisses me off is this claim to it being an MMO, which it isn't.

70 Million accounts or not, 15 v 15 does not an MMO make. It's no different to Battlefield or Counter Strike.

It's an online multiplayer tank game. No massive battles of 100 v 100, no persistant world, it's just Counter Strike with tanks. Nothing wrong with that, I love it but it's not an MMO. Please stop calling it one.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I really enjoy WoT, great game. The only thing about it that pisses me off is this claim to it being an MMO, which it isn't.

70 Million accounts or not, 15 v 15 does not an MMO make. It's no different to Battlefield or Counter Strike.

It's an online multiplayer tank game. No massive battles of 100 v 100, no persistant world, it's just Counter Strike with tanks. Nothing wrong with that, I love it but it's not an MMO. Please stop calling it one.

this..

but yeah its still a good game.. sometimes annoying when you keep getting bad teams over and over and over but there we go haha..

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Flagship MMO?  Seriously, you guys crack me up with your MMO definition.  It is a wargame where you drive tanks around, it is more like a diablo than a Wow.  Definitely zero rpg in it.

What is with the blatant commercialization of the article?  No argument that they are successful, but  beyond that the article is just a obvious advertisement for the company.  They are still a one hit wonder.  World of Warplanes has hit with a big thud.  Have to wait and see how their sea games does.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

So is this the first of a series of "The History of..." articles on MMORPG.COM ?

Can we look forward to a "The History of BioWare" or "The History of Blizzard" and similar coverage ? Or is this a once-off promotional feature "sponsored" by Wargaming.net ?

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

WoT: 70 million players ?

WoW must have 210 million then, since Xfire shows 300% more activity on WoW.

Oh but Xfire is bad at displaying correct numbers.

.... So is PR garbage that isn't verified by official revenue.

The article stinks in money promotion stuff, as is the complete game itself btw.

btw: Calling this tanky rider stuff ... wargaming is a blasphomy for any serious conflict simulation.

Garbage, and adding money to buy a thicker steel plate on a tankie is ... well ... disgusting.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

So is this the first of a series of "The History of..." articles on MMORPG.COM ?

Can we look forward to a "The History of BioWare" or "The History of Blizzard" and similar coverage ? Or is this a once-off promotional feature "sponsored" by Wargaming.net ?

Of course it is sponsored and totally artificial and so are the player numbers invented out of thin air.

70 million, yeah right....

This is the way f2p works: I say I have 120 million players... you say you got 150 million, well I say I have 200 million.

These guys will not even stop at 7 billion, while a simple tracking tool shows they have an acivity comparable with GW2...

Probably around 1 million players, probably less.

And do not ask their yearly revenue : you won't see that published ... ever.