Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen threaten to take Eve players?

2»

Comments

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    The only people that will be left playing EVE are the ones that hate everything except for EVE. And there are quite a few of them out there. Eve was okay for me but I didn't have the time to devote to achieveing anything in it. I will be all over SC when I can.
  • 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

Honestly I am sorry but I feel the need to say this...

I dont trust the star citizen team.

I see their vids and some of the stuff they have gotten together but guys when the money stops coming in I just dont see this team sticking around catering to money they've already spent.

This kickstarter has a big and I mean BIG impact if it fails. It may be that last straw for far too many players and THAT can be a gigantic smouldering crater if they dont or cant follow through. I mean they are talking about 2-3 years before they get something out the door when they have enough capitol to make a big push in under a year.

Thats the type of planning someone who doesnt plan on being around for long outlines!

Now I know some of us have spent 1000s of dollars and will defend that....moment of stupor for -ever- but please players and people alike be carfull as this sets a presedent whether or not they come through smelling like roses it still will aways say just how gullable most players are!

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I expect EVE players to subscribe to both.

EVE is the kind of game that you can put on the shelf and "play," even if you don't actually play all that often.  You can log in, train a new skill, check to see if your goods have been sold or bought, and log out.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by hfztt

CCP know that one day EVE will eventually start to fade and they need something ready by then.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IoshtIosht Member Posts: 38
    From what I understand Star Citizen will have different instances and won't be a sandbox mmo, but I'm sure it will attract some of the EVE players. But there is EVE Valkyrie which is pretty much the same but it'll most likely ( don't see why they wouldn't do this) be in the same Universe as the EVE players are in, so it's difficult to say right now.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

I see it as a very expensive remake of an old concept that has been explored at length in the online realm.  I hope it's a good game, but all that would be doing is proving a concept works which I already know.  

Could you please point me in the direction of one of the many multi-player space flight sims with dogfighting style combat, and ground combat as well.  Preferably a AAA one.  Since it's so overdone that should be pretty easy for you.

..or maybe the reason backers have invested so heavily is this hasn't been done well before.  The lack of quality games that provide this kind of gameplay is what is driving the community.  Your comments make it clear your pretty disconnected from that type of player base. 

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I think that the play styles and mechanics are different enough that the exodus from Eve will be extremely small. I've played Eve off an on for years hoping it would eventually morph into something like Wing Commander. Each time I resub, it takes about 2 weeks before I can't bring myself to login because it bores me so much. I love every aspect of the game world, the complexity of crafting, the reliance on others to get things done and the fact that you can't trust a damned one of them. But the lack of action bores me to tears. That is in no way meant to say that it's a bad game. It's a great game. It just doesn't have the missing mechanics to keep me interested. The premise of Star Citizen (hopefully...) gives me what I've been missing. Based on the amount of negative feedback that CCP received form the WIS project, there are obviously quite a few people that see things exactly opposite of me. I think Star Citizen will do well and I think that Eve will continue soldiering on just fine.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    What if Eve takes SC's players?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

When someone leaves EVE Online, they do it to get as far away from EVE like content as they can. Even if it's for a short term/ long term break. When they want EVE content back, they go back to EVE.

Star Citizen is a threat to EVE like STO was. It wasn't.

• BlueriverBlueriver Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

That's a strange statement,  and probably unlikely Eve has been around so long that most of those interested in SC, more than likely tried Eve.  The more relative question is "How many Eve players will return to Eve after trying SC?".

No Doubt that a good deal of Eve player will try SC but also a large part of the STO and SWTOR player will most likely try SC as well.  So How many many people will try SC and stay? How many will Going back to their other game? and How many will support both? 

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Blueriver
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

That's a strange statement,  and probably unlikely Eve has been around so long that most of those interested in SC, more than likely tried Eve.  The more relative question is "How many Eve players will return to Eve after trying SC?".

No Doubt that a good deal of Eve player will try SC but also a large part of the STO and SWTOR player will most likely try SC as well.  So How many many people will try SC and stay? How many will Going back to their other game? and How many will support both? 

You never know what a little competition can do.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Star Citizen will be the best space combat sim ever made.

Christ.

Roberts.

nuff said

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

I see it as a very expensive remake of an old concept that has been explored at length in the online realm.  I hope it's a good game, but all that would be doing is proving a concept works which I already know.  

Could you please point me in the direction of one of the many multi-player space flight sims with dogfighting style combat, and ground combat as well.  Preferably a AAA one.  Since it's so overdone that should be pretty easy for you.

..or maybe the reason backers have invested so heavily is this hasn't been done well before.  The lack of quality games that provide this kind of gameplay is what is driving the community.  Your comments make it clear your pretty disconnected from that type of player base. 

Nice ad hominem.

I'd be glad to point you to a twitch-based, space-themed MMORPG; I've been playing one for the last ten years.  (No, it doesn't have ground combat, but it is planned.  Landing on procedural planets isn't exactly a new idea.*)

I'm grateful for the experiences I've had in that game so far; I hope you have the same kind of experience in Star Citizen.

*Infinity: The Quest for Earth

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Just to be a troll and a killjoy, I'll say that I found Chris Roberts' 'Wing Commander' game(s) to be not that great. To me they were merely linear, simplistic (3 button), frenetic actioners with a cut scene thrown in at the end of every mission. And something you played for a week or two, only to then throw or give away. But perhaps Wing Commander was one of the first interactive movie type games? And that did make it/them revolutionary in some way.

Freelancer? I don't know, I never played it. But lots of people sure do seem to love both of these series. Maybe it could be fair to speculate that 'shooter' fans will have plenty to look forward to with SC, while other types of players may not?

• idkmybffidkmybff Member UncommonPosts: 10

From my view,   EVE caters to gamers who play "hardcore" games.         Star Citizen will not have the whole territorial conquest or massive fights that EVE has.    What Star Citizen will have though is actual skill based combat.    I can see this one fact being a huge issue for various "hardcore" gamers who love to compare PVP e-peen.       Skill based PVP vs target based PVP will be a big issue.  

Granted,  this is on the longshot that Star Citizens persistent universe doesent suck. 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Not even the same crowd.

EVE is like Civilizations with spaceships, Star Citizen is a space version of Pirates! series of games.

People who like EVE will probably find Star Citizen too simplistic and combat too hands on.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Keep in mind the hardware requirements of Star Citizen. A lot of the EVE players won't be able to simply "cross over", even if they felt like giving it a try.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I am not sure either Elite or Star Citizen will dent EVE anymore than say X- Rebirth did. It has a unique niche with the corporate 0.0 wars that nothing else can touch right now regardless of any internet spaceships comparisons even if playing it is like scrubbing your butthole with sand paper. Niether game will breed stories like the Brave Newbies or the great heist. Some real MMORPG competition for EVE would be a great thing for us and CCP for a change though, just to keep the niche market competitive and growing.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by laxie
    Keep in mind the hardware requirements of Star Citizen. A lot of the EVE players won't be able to simply "cross over", even if they felt like giving it a try.

I didn't know CCP released EVE player system specs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by laxie

I didn't know CCP released EVE player system specs.

Isn't SC system requirement higher than EVE's system requirement?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Only EVE will ever give you the EVE experience, and no other game ever will, least of all Star Citizen.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Right now star citizen has a whole lot of money, a laundry list of promises, a lot of expectations & little to show for it in tangible terms.

Its early days so I wouldn't be too concerned about a threat to eve just yet.