Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Taking Galactic Starfighter for a Spin

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by JeroKane

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

What a wonderous achievement, SWG was killed so SWTOR has no competition, everyone knows that.

They wrecked a 5 star dinner restaurant and put a Burger King in its place. We all love burgers, who needs lobster anyway.

So now it´s suddenly SWTOR that killed SWG?

So bashing SOE for the NGE got old after 8 years, so now you spend over 2 years bashing SWTOR instead as blame for SWG´s demise?

Bashing SWTOR, because it´s not SWG2. While it was clearly known right from the start it would never be SWG2.

What are you going to do With Your life when SWTOR inevitably shuts down down the road?

Wonder who you gonna blame for SWG´s demise then. Go back and start bashing SOE again?

To each their own I guess, if you want to completely Waste your entire life griefing over an old dead game. Dunno what to say really. /sigh

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

What a wonderous achievement, SWG was killed so SWTOR has no competition, everyone knows that.

They wrecked a 5 star dinner restaurant and put a Burger King in its place. We all love burgers, who needs lobster anyway.

So bashing SOE for the NGE got old after 8 years, so now you spend over 2 years bashing SWTOR instead as blame for SWG´s demise?

Bashing SWTOR, because it´s not SWG2. While it was clearly known right from the start it would never be SWG2.

What are you going to do With Your life when SWTOR inevitably shuts down down the road?

Wonder who you gonna blame for SWG´s demise then. Go back and start bashing SOE again?

To each their own I guess, if you want to completely Waste your entire life griefing over an old dead game. Dunno what to say really. /sigh

Some of them have been doing that for such a long time it's downright ridiculous.

You should see the posts they have made / threads created to know how true you are when you say they need a therapist..

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

Is there a Godwin's law for fast food analogies?

There should be, because we can't seem to have a discussion here without someone trying to compare sandbox/themepark to 5-star/fast-food.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by skyline385

....and Star Wars Galaxies wins again.

This TOR game never fails to dive a mile below standards set by SWG. In this case, Jump to Lightspeed.

People wanted this

http://youtu.be/Zdqxid-oCGU

and what do we get?

A Star Conflict ripoff queue up for warzone button, third person pew-pew with mouse and keyboard. Great. JUST GREAT.

I like how the game has each and every building literally popping up as the ship travels and the fact that the ship is moving slower than SWTOR's speeders (even though you wanted SWTOR shutdown because of slow speeders). Add to that the fact the ship is floating under gravity without VTOL or anything and that the player is unaffected by the upside down ship within the Gravitational wall of the planet..

Ha, nice holy grail of a game you got there.

Rose tinted glasses anyone?

dude that ship is not even moving at full speed, doing a sightseeing tour, and the map is GIGANTIC, you think you can zoom over this, /facepalm

yeah but nice try to relativate the ridiculous speed of the Slowers in SWTOR. 

You pick at some textures and geometry popping up in a 2003 MMO? Well I hope you enjoy watching the grass growing effect and same texture/geometry popping in your 2011 MMO, in case you haven't noticed.

anyway, have fun with 3rd person view only, no cockpits, no atmospheric flight, no joystick control, no star systems to free roam, no mining, no trading, no ship interiors and no PvE in Galactic Lolfighter

SWG > SWTOR, period.

edit: since you made fun of the draw distance in SWG

Have a look here

http://youtu.be/PT92KW9yqxI

There is nothing like that in SWTOR, only grasses growing (which is much much better than huge buildings popping up). That guy is running the game with draw distance set to lowest, not the game's problem that he has a wooden PC. I play at ultra and there is no texture/buildings popping up.

Also, how about the excellent immersion of your character standing still while the ship is doing a 360 or the ship coming to a standstill just like that or that its moving slower than a cycle while floating about. So much immersion in that game. 10/10 game.

I of course didn't play it but seeing the number of faults from just one single video, i can imagine how the game would have been.

Originally posted by heider89

if so meny ppl loved swg. why did it get shut down? i heard it only had like 30k sub

i never got to try it out so i dont know:) if it was a 5 star game

The old SWG was great, before the NGE hit the live servers and kicked us in the face. That was the day the game already really died.

Ever since the NGE the game barely had enough subscribers left to pay upkeep for the servers and few devs.

Anyone With a right mind could already figure out that SOE would not renew the License, which ended in the year SW:TOR was about to launch.

Why would SOE pay another huge sum to extened the License, when the game barely made enough Money to keep it running.

But it´s getting old. It´s a known fact by now that these old SWG vets suffer from a very scary obsessive hate syndrome and are unable to let it go. There is simply no reasoning With these People.

I loved SWG and played the heck out of it. I enjoyed the JTL expansion even more, eventho it wrecked the groundgame in the process With horrible bugs and performance issues at the time lol.

But the moment the NGE hit, we did a HUGE facepalm to SOE and Lucas Arts and moved on. We griefed a little of a great game lost. But I am seriously not going to waste my entire life griefing and hating over a game. /shrug

if so meny ppl loved swg. why did it get shut down? i heard it only had like 30k sub

The old SWG was great, before the NGE hit the live servers and kicked us in the face. That was the day the game already really died.

Ever since the NGE the game barely had enough subscribers left to pay upkeep for the servers and few devs.

Anyone With a right mind could already figure out that SOE would not renew the License, which ended in the year SW:TOR was about to launch.

Why would SOE pay another huge sum to extened the License, when the game barely made enough Money to keep it running.

But it´s getting old. It´s a known fact by now that these old SWG vets suffer from a very scary obsessive hate syndrome and are unable to let it go. There is simply no reasoning With these People.

I loved SWG and played the heck out of it. I enjoyed the JTL expansion even more, eventho it wrecked the groundgame in the process With horrible bugs and performance issues at the time lol.

But the moment the NGE hit, we did a HUGE facepalm to SOE and Lucas Arts and moved on. We griefed a little of a great game lost. But I am seriously not going to waste my entire life griefing and hating over a game. /shrug

What exactly did NGE do? I dunno much about the game.

TDLR Version: It turned a great sandbox game into a themepark game.

Lucas Arts only saw $$$$$ after WoW´s success, so they demanded SOE to turn SWG more into WoW in a foolish hope it would mean success and more $$$$$$.

SOE took all the flak and had to endure a shitstorm for years to come. While it actually was Lucas Arts that forced the NGE.

You can read more here if you like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Galaxies

LOL

Just found out that SWG has a lower metacritic score than the "failure" SWTOR both in Critic Reviews as well as User Reviews.

TDLR Version: It turned a great sandbox game into a themepark game.

Lucas Arts only saw $$$$$ after WoW´s success, so they demanded SOE to turn SWG more into WoW in a foolish hope it would mean success and more $$$$$$.

Definitely makes sense. If your user base is playing the game because of its sandbox features, you are crazy to turn it into a themepark game.

Meh, it must have been a good game for it's time. Who cares, it's gone. I am just having fun with the people who get so rustled up over a game which died 2 years ago.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

here, watch a good summary

http://youtu.be/eC8LacnQ1bc

here, watch a good summary

http://youtu.be/eC8LacnQ1bc

Unlike a lot of people, i have the sense to not compare a Sandbox to a Themepark nor to watch such comparisions.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I do not care for ship fights, for the rest all the best. But I'm glad for those that enjoy also this part.
  • erandhirerandhir Member Posts: 4
    Love how the SWG hardcore fans keep coming back to talk about how amazing was a game who was closed for a reason, i mean, was dead years ago after the SWTOR launch., TOR was just the deathblow. But dont worry EA canada is making a new Sandbox STAR WARS MMO, so in a few years all of you can talk about why this new MMO sux and SWG was an Epic MMO. 
    Originally posted by erandhir
    Love how the SWG hardcore fans keep coming back to talk about how amazing was a game who was closed for a reason, i mean, was dead years ago after the SWTOR launch., TOR was just the deathblow. But dont worry EA canada is making a new Sandbox STAR WARS MMO, so in a few years all of you can talk about why this new MMO sux and SWG was an Epic MMO. 

Openworld Star Wars game, not an MMO.

Could either be that this studio is continue to work on Star Wars 1313 material or it could be based on the upcoming Episode 7 Movie that hits the cinemas in 2015.

The latter makes more sense. Them milking on the New Movie when it comes out.

So dunno where you got the sandbox MMO idea from.

Could either be that this studio is continue to work on Star Wars 1313 material or it could be based on the upcoming Episode 7 Movie that hits the cinemas in 2015.

nope there was an official statement by EA that they have planned no games based on the upcoming movies, only based in the Star Wars universe. No direct movie spin offs are happening.

ok EA, about time to put a decent SW game out, maybe this time you won't mess it up. p

on the 10 year EA/Disney Deal:

According to CVG.com, Blake Jorgensen spoke last Tuesday at the UBS Global Technology Conference and stated:

“We’ve done movie games over the years and we wanted to make sure that we weren’t doing a movie game, i.e., game based on the movie,” Jorgensen told attendees.

“The beauty of the Star Wars franchise is that it’s so broad and so deep, you don’t have to do a movie game, you can do a game that’s very focused on the world that’s been created around Star Wars.

“We struck what we believe is a fantastic deal which allows us to be able to build games in many different genres across multiple types of platforms over ten years and we’ll leverage the strength of the Disney marketing associated with the Star Wars properties both in movies and other things that they may do over the timeframe."

“We’ll try to align those with that marketing power Disney has so it will get aligned with timing around the movies, but it won’t necessarily be aligned with the movie.”

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

Dude, get your facts straight, SWTOR killed SWG, nothing "suddenly" about it.

http://lorehound.com/news/rumor-bioware-employee-blames-fans-for-swtor-failure-confirms-f2p-swg-shutdown-to-remove-competition/

http://torwars.com/its-official-swtor-killed-star-wars-galaxies/

look, I'm terribly sorry I had to note that Galactic Starfighter has no cockpits, no joystick control, no atmospheric flight, no free roaming universe, no customizable ship interiors, no mining, no trading AND NO PVE MISSIONS, things that SWG had years ago. You just go ahead praising EA for whatever mildly entertaining instanced game mode queue they are going to implement next.

nope there was an official statement by EA that they have planned no games based on the upcoming movies, only based in the Star Wars universe. No direct movie spin offs are happening.

ok EA, about time to put a decent SW game out, maybe this time you won't mess it up. p

on the 10 year EA/Disney Deal:

According to CVG.com, Blake Jorgensen spoke last Tuesday at the UBS Global Technology Conference and stated:

“We’ve done movie games over the years and we wanted to make sure that we weren’t doing a movie game, i.e., game based on the movie,” Jorgensen told attendees.

“The beauty of the Star Wars franchise is that it’s so broad and so deep, you don’t have to do a movie game, you can do a game that’s very focused on the world that’s been created around Star Wars.

“We struck what we believe is a fantastic deal which allows us to be able to build games in many different genres across multiple types of platforms over ten years and we’ll leverage the strength of the Disney marketing associated with the Star Wars properties both in movies and other things that they may do over the timeframe."

“We’ll try to align those with that marketing power Disney has so it will get aligned with timing around the movies, but it won’t necessarily be aligned with the movie.”

It still won't be an MMO. So then my first option is more plausable, that this studio got the deal to allow to pick up and continue to work on the Star Wars 1313 material.

Disney got all that material handed over and they said there would be a possibility that a studio will be allowed to pick it up and work it out further into a final game.

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Nothing will beat Jump to Lightspeed on SWG...

Dude, get your facts straight, SWG killed SWTOR, nothing "suddenly" about it.

How did SWG kill SWTOR?  Can you please explain that to me?

SWG has been shut Down and SWTOR is still running. 

[mod edit]

And those articles are nothing but taking Smedly quotes out of Context and create more drama.

There is no drama about it.  SWG License was about to end. SOE was barely making any profit on it and wanted either a cheap renewal to even consider a continuation.

Lucas Arts didn't budge and rather forget about the SWG NGE debacle and focus on SWTOR instead.

So end conclusion was simple. Let SWG finally die. As it already died with the NGE back in 2005! Long before SWTOR Development even began.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Looks great, I think it is time to return.

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

You just called NGE/CU a 5 star dinner....and you expect people to take you serious?

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

Dude, get your facts straight, SWG killed SWTOR, nothing "suddenly" about it.

http://lorehound.com/news/rumor-bioware-employee-blames-fans-for-swtor-failure-confirms-f2p-swg-shutdown-to-remove-competition/

look, I'm terribly sorry I had to note that Galactic Starfighter has no cockpits, no joystick control, no atmospheric flight, no free roaming universe, no customizable ship interiors, no mining, no trading AND NO PVE MISSIONS, things that SWG had years ago. You just go ahead praising EA for whatever mildly entertaining instanced game mode queue they are going to implement next.

I dont know whats cuter, the fact that you are listing a feature they only patched into the game in an unfinnished state after they announced its shutdown because they stopped all development and said "F IT, patch it in", or the fact that you probably didnt even know that.

And SWG didn't kill SWTOR....my head is hurting at this point after reading your posts lol

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

Bioware introduces something that actually gives me some interest in the game again....

....then makes it pay to win. Way to shoot yourself in the foot. Greedy Bast-----s. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Slapping this on-top of the rest of the terrible linear game is not going to make me give them any money.
    Originally posted by deniromonk

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

Dude, get your facts straight, SWTOR killed SWG, nothing "suddenly" about it.

SWG didn't kill SWTOR....my head is hurting at this point after reading your posts lol

just keep on ignoring the simple truth.  Sorry that facts about SWG, JTL and GS are "hurting your head".

This discussion has been closed.