Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Taking Galactic Starfighter for a Spin

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We took Galactic Starfighter, the upcoming digital expansion to Star Wars: The Old Republic, for a spin on the game's public test server and today we're offering our thoughts.

The off-rails free flight of Galactic Starfighter is obviously its most significant feature. I’ve long been a detractor of the silly Star Fox space component SWTOR launched with and I was thrilled to finally have the freedom to, you know, actually fly around. At the same time, the Warplanes/War Thunder style controls aren’t exactly my strong suit. I’m terrible at those games, but I feel like I was able to settle in a bit after playing Starfighter for some time.

Read more of Michael Bitton's SWTOR: Taking Galactic Starfighter for a Spin.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    hmmm, nice. Wish they had something like this at launch...but i might be be back to check it out
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Please tell me the mouse can be inverted...Up should never be up.

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

Now if they added PvE to this and announced a continuation of the class stories i would resubscribe. Till then i'm not interested.

Good luck to those who want this tho, let's hope not many bugs, especially since you will pay through your nose for the stuff in the market (just my prevision tho).

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159

been playing the crap out of this on pts. and from my point og view this is a great dc expensjon there is alot of stuff you can do with your ship :) and you can feel that there have been put alot of work inn to this. it feels realy smoth. gamleplay is great. controler takes a litle time to get used to.

i hope they add leaderbord system for this aswel.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    If you like this, you may want to check out Star Conflict through steam.  I easily burned an afternoon in the game.  From the pictures I'd say Star Conflict has a better aesthetic, but it's hard to tell from stills.  Anyway, if you are  a fan of the genre.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• druidsfiredruidsfire Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Yes, inversion was hotly demanded in beta and added by BioWare before they put it on the open PTS.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I am into PvP, just not so much arena type PvP. I would much prefer if the space combat had some global objectives and impact in the conflict between Jedi and Sith. However that ship kind of sailed a long time ago; SW:TOR is not a SW simulator, it is just some casual game to have "fun" in.
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by druidsfire

Yes, inversion was hotly demanded in beta and added by BioWare before they put it on the open PTS.

Nice.. It only took them what? 2 years?  LOL!

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

Players request inverted Y axis...Bioware implements it before it goes live....MMORPG.com forums posters still find something negative about it....i salut you ;)

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by deniromonk

Players request inverted Y axis...Bioware implements it before it goes live....MMORPG.com forums posters still find something to complain about....i salute you ;)

• AzorAhai-ArchangelAzorAhai-Archangel Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I am into PvP, just not so much arena type PvP. I would much prefer if the space combat had some global objectives and impact in the conflict between Jedi and Sith. However that ship kind of sailed a long time ago; SW:TOR is not a SW simulator, it is just some casual game to have "fun" in.

+1

As a HUGE Star Fan, I too thought this game was going to be somewhat of a Star Wars sim. I'm still to this day waiting on Jedi vs Sith specific content to be released. That's even more messed up when you consider that all EA/Bioware used when marketing this game was the conflict between the Jedi & the Sith (remember those three High-end CGI mini-movie trailers for the game?) That's been my ONLY issue with SWTOR. Other than that, like you said - its a "fun" game, but Star Wars sim it ain't. Having said that, I still can't wait to try out Galactic Starfighter.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Oh so they are releasing a p2w aspect now? Being able to convert one "coin" for another through Cartel means, seems kinda dubious to me.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Very cool beans. I do hope PvE stuff isn't far behind along with more PvP.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    If they ever make a PvE mission mode ala tiefighter count me in, otherwise *yawn*.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Is Galactic Starfighter supporting use of Flightsticks?

When it comes to air/Space combat gameplay, I just highly prefer the use of a Flightstick, instead of a mouse.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

....and Star Wars Galaxies wins again.

This TOR game never fails to dive a mile below standards set by SWG. In this case, Jump to Lightspeed.

People wanted this

http://youtu.be/Zdqxid-oCGU

and what do we get?

A Star Conflict ripoff queue up for warzone button, third person pew-pew with mouse and keyboard. Great. JUST GREAT.

Originally posted by DocBrody

This TOR game never fails to dive a mile below standards set by SWG. In this case, Jump to Lightspeed.

They simply don´t have the Resources anymore. People just need to get that into their heads.

Almost the entire staff has been laid off in the past 2 years. They operate with a skeletal crew and have to manage with that.

I am honestly impressed they managed to pull off something like this Galactic Starfighter at all.

And who knows.... if the GS content update is a success, maybe EA gives them a little bit more Money to hire a few extra peeps.

As the previous update wasn´t exactly received with stellar enthousiam.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by JeroKane

They simply don´t have the Resources anymore. People just need to get that into their heads.

Almost the entire staff has been laid off in the past 2 years. They operate with a skeletal crew and have to manage with that.

I am honestly impressed they managed to pull off something like this Galactic Starfighter at all.

And who knows.... if the GS content update is a success, maybe EA gives them a little bit more Money to hire a few extra peeps.

This is due to the MMO industries inability to keep players engaged for more then a few months with each game. And to the adoption of the F2P finance model which cannot support major updates and expansions like P2P can. Every time a MMO goes F2P we get the same old rubbish about how that has saved the game. Saved it for what? The odd content release down the years? It is hard to see how the genre will find a way out of this dilemma that gaming companies have created for themselves.

Originally posted by Scot

This is due to the MMO industries inability to keep players engaged for more then a few months with each game. And to the adoption of the F2P finance model which cannot support major updates and expansions like P2P can. Every time a MMO goes F2P we get the same old rubbish about how that has saved the game. Saved it for what? The odd content release down the years? It is hard to see how the genre will find a way out of this dilemma that gaming companies have created for themselves.

The Extreme Hype doomed this game from the start. People just had developed unrealistic expectations that could never have been met.

And Bioware chosing the wrong game engine, causing severe limitations and due to Heavy modification unable to Upgrade, didn´t help all that much either.

For them, after having laid off almost the entire staff and still not making a profit in the end of the first year, it was either adding F2P option or shut Down the game.

They had no Choice.

The MMO genre doomed themselves by pushing these insane marketing campains that often start 2-3 years in advance before the Product is even released. This cause players to build up so much anticipation, testing their patience to the limit and let them build up unrealistic expectations to the point it can never be met.

So when an MMO finally launches, the only result will be dissapointment.

They should just do what they did in the past. Announce a game, when it´s good as ready.

But it isn´t just MMO´s, just look how they do it With other games like BF, COD, Destiny, Titanfall... they start taking people´s Money via pre-orders almost a year in advance these days without People having seen a single shred of gameplay from the actuall game! /shrug

The entire game industry is just turning into a quick cash grab! Not just MMO´s.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's not quite enough to get me interested in returning.  I'm still hoping for more in depth XWing vs. Tie Fighter type of space battles.
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

People wanted this

and what do we get?

A Star Conflict ripoff queue up for warzone button, third person pew-pew with mouse and keyboard. Great. JUST GREAT.

I like how the game has each and every building literally popping up as the ship travels and the fact that the ship is moving slower than SWTOR's speeders (even though you wanted SWTOR shutdown because of slow speeders). Add to that the fact the ship is floating under gravity without VTOL or anything and that the player is unaffected by the upside down ship within the Gravitational wall of the planet..

Ha, nice holy grail of a game you got there.

Rose tinted glasses anyone?

Originally posted by skyline385

People wanted this

and what do we get?

I like how the game has each and every building literally popping up as the ship travels and the fact that the ship is moving slower than SWTOR's speeders (even though you wanted SWTOR shutdown because of slow speeders). Add to that the fact the ship is floating under gravity without VTOL or anything and that the player is unaffected by the upside down ship within the Gravitational wall of the planet..

Ha, nice holy grail of a game you got there.

Rose tinted glasses anyone?

dude that ship is not even moving at full speed, doing a sightseeing tour, and the map is GIGANTIC, you think you can zoom over this, /facepalm

yeah but nice try to relativate the ridiculous speed of the Slowers in SWTOR. 

You pick at some textures and geometry popping up in a 2003 MMO? Well I hope you enjoy watching the grass growing effect and same texture/geometry popping in your 2011 MMO, in case you haven't noticed.

anyway, have fun with 3rd person view only, no cockpits, no atmospheric flight, no joystick control, no star systems to free roam, no mining, no trading, no ship interiors and no PvE in Galactic Lolfighter

SWG > SWTOR, period.

edit: since you made fun of the draw distance in SWG

Have a look here

http://youtu.be/PT92KW9yqxI

and here, have some magic grass

http://youtu.be/ywSkOd9CoPA

another fun one

http://youtu.be/LZHw6-wLsPE

and this game was released almost a decade after SWG? really?

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

Give it a rest already.  Ever thought about visiting a therapist perhaps? Being so obsessed With a long dead game so many years later is just downright scary.

I loved the old SWG and spend countless Nights in JTL part of that game. But it´s dead! It´s over! Gone! Get over it already and move on! /shrug

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

What a wonderous achievement, SWG was killed so SWTOR has no competition, everyone knows that.

They wrecked a 5 star dinner restaurant and put a Burger King in its place. We all love burgers, who needs lobster anyway.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159

SWG > SWTOR, period.

SWG > DEAD & Burried.

SWTOR > Alive & Running.

What a wonderous achievement, SWG was killed so SWTOR has no competition, everyone knows that.

They wrecked a 5 star dinner restaurant and put a Burger King in its place. We all love burgers, who needs lobster anyway.

if so meny ppl loved swg. why did it get shut down? i heard it only had like 30k sub

i never got to try it out so i dont know:) if it was a 5 star game

This discussion has been closed.