Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday deal - all expansions sans HD for $20

KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion-packs/

Also half off all individual expansions -just not HD (the newest)

Comments

• KaputzyKaputzy Member UncommonPosts: 91

This is an insanely great deal. Anyone on the fence about making this purchase? Do it.

I've recently delved back into LOTRO and it serves as a reminder as to where a lot of the MMO's I have tried fail miserably. The amount of content is immense and is still keeping me busy and entertained. 

4 expansions with that amount of content for $20 is immense, truly.  

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

How is starting from scratch and leveling these days? How long would it take to get from 0-max? Is this game fun to play alone if there aren't a lot of people in the lowbie zones? How is the overall population now?

It looks like a good deal to get 4 expansions for this price, but that's only if the game is fun to play these days and has a future. I played a while back into the teen levels, never once ran in any groups. I just didn't see other players around. I play during Oceanic times, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know.

I, personally, spent time on the forums to determine what server would suit me best when rolling a new char recently. Given that I'm UK based and wanted some end-game PvMP I chose Snowbourn and also have characters on other servers.

I think it's fair to say that it is hard, without a kinship, to get groups for low-level instances on ANY server. Having said that, the servers that I have played on are still healthy in terms of overall population albeit most are level-capped.

The key would be to get into a kinship if you plan to see group-instanced content.

As for the fun factor, it's horses for courses but I am having lots of fun on a new server and playing through the content solo at the moment with the intention of joining a kinship once I reach cap or thereabouts. It's taken me 3 weeks on a new character to get to level 50 with at least a few hrs of gameplay every day. The amount of content, incidentally, is unreal - and again, for the current asking price for the 4 expansions, an amazing offer. 

Having played every MMO under the sun and even beta'd some of the most hyped upcoming stuff (brace yourselves for more disappointment guys lol) LOTRO still has legs, believe me. The new trait system that came with the new HD expansion is pretty refreshing too.

Just an FYI PWN, I think Elendilmir is the unofficial Oceanic server so that would be your best choice. Get stuck in man!

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88

Starting from the scratch can take a while if you don't wanna buy a level 50 char which is (as so many other things) purchasable in the ingame store. There are 95 levels and the leveling is not as fast as in other MMOs. You also have to level not only your char, but your legendary items and your deeds as well. This game is a hell of a grind if you don't wanna spend hundreds of bucks in the store. In my opinion it's not worth it anyways, cause the new expansion "Helm's Deep" is mediocre at best.  I restarted playing a week ago after a 2 years hiatus and was very underwhelmed from Turbine's vision of "Epic Battles" in Helm's Deep. And there is this problem with the license ending in 2014 as well. No official statement regarding this, so ....

The licensing issue is certainly a worry given the lack of feedback from Turbine. If you were entering into the game anew hoping for major longevity it's a question you would ask yourself, but... $20!!

Even if the lack-of-attaining-new-license meant game closure (which I cannot see happening whatsoever) any new player has at least till April to enjoy $20 worth of a game-bargain!

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

If you're a new player, this expansion bundle will see you past level 50 right?

thanks!

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Originally posted by Vitari

If you're a new player, this expansion bundle will see you past level 50 right?

thanks!

Yes ofc! The 4th x-pac in this package deal is Rohan, which will see you to level 85!

Read the info here: https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion-packs/item/expansionquadpackstandalone-bundle/

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    This is seriously making me want to revisit this game. this is a great deal indeed.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

How is starting from scratch and leveling these days? How long would it take to get from 0-max? Is this game fun to play alone if there aren't a lot of people in the lowbie zones? How is the overall population now?

It's fun. There's a huge amount of Middle Earth to explore and the game is, for better or worse, *very* solo-friendly now pretty much more liker a single player RPG wiith a co-op option rather than a typical MMO.  I find the story fun to play through.

One caveat, this game really is mostly about the journey. Endgame is kind of a disappointing grind anyway  so take your time with the levelling content which is generally acknowledged as the best part of the game. Do *not* buy the pre-made lvl 50 character. Especially in LOTRO that's a ridiculous waste of money.

On the other hand, it's probably worth it to sub for one month (not sure if this package includes that) but it gets permanently gets  rid of a lot of the annoying F2P restrictions.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    If you are just starting you have to get a group around 50 and do Carn Dum and Urugarth. When the game first came out these were the fun ones. A lesser run instance but my all time favorite was Fornost!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Kaputzy

It looks like a good deal to get 4 expansions for this price, but that's only if the game is fun to play these days and has a future. I played a while back into the teen levels, never once ran in any groups. I just didn't see other players around. I play during Oceanic times, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know.

I, personally, spent time on the forums to determine what server would suit me best when rolling a new char recently. Given that I'm UK based and wanted some end-game PvMP I chose Snowbourn and also have characters on other servers.

I think it's fair to say that it is hard, without a kinship, to get groups for low-level instances on ANY server. Having said that, the servers that I have played on are still healthy in terms of overall population albeit most are level-capped.

The key would be to get into a kinship if you plan to see group-instanced content.

As for the fun factor, it's horses for courses but I am having lots of fun on a new server and playing through the content solo at the moment with the intention of joining a kinship once I reach cap or thereabouts. It's taken me 3 weeks on a new character to get to level 50 with at least a few hrs of gameplay every day. The amount of content, incidentally, is unreal - and again, for the current asking price for the 4 expansions, an amazing offer. 

Having played every MMO under the sun and even beta'd some of the most hyped upcoming stuff (brace yourselves for more disappointment guys lol) LOTRO still has legs, believe me. The new trait system that came with the new HD expansion is pretty refreshing too.

Just an FYI PWN, I think Elendilmir is the unofficial Oceanic server so that would be your best choice. Get stuck in man!

I went back a week ago, decided to leave my 2 level 50s parked for now and started a new Loremaster. I'm level 30 already.

As you say, doing group content at the lower levels is tough, however I find I can solo all small fellowship quests and even the odd full fellow quest (soloed "Pulling Beards" around Esteldin last night.) it might just be the LM that can do that with pets and CC, but all the content is much easier than it used to be.

The main story quests (the books) used to always have at least one group quest in them. They now also have an option to solo the group instance. They do it by bolstering your stats to near superman levels lol.

I'm finding the leveling to be quite fast but I'm sure that the fact that I did all of the content before - even though it was 6 years ago for me - helps. I'm sure it'll go slower once I reach Moria and all the other areas I have never seen.

and yes, this is an insanely great deal... I got the pack.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

This convinced me to dust off the old lifetime subscription (having to give up sub-based games due to no income helped with that decision) and give it another go. I was pleasantly surprised that, thanks to my monthly stipend of Turbine Points, I had banked over 19K of them. So now I own every expansion, including Helm's Deep, and still have almost 10K points left. BTW the prices are discounted in the in-game shop as well, so if you've got the points...

Any recommendations for a server? Was thinking of starting over on a new one, or remaking my character on Arkenstone.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Bargain. Lotro is probably the most beautifully crafted mmorpg out there.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Bargain +1. I posted this as well at the RoI sale, and then at the RoR sale before HD, but this one is even better than those were... which is a bit sad sight for those who bought them with the original price.

Seriously, Moria+Mirkwood+Isengard+Rohan for $40? wtf...  I mean, yay, /cheers, awesome deal for newcomers, etc. etc.

RoR alone was 40 a few months ago, you lucky bast...s ;) (yep, bastions, what else? there are a few at the walls in HD)

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Not to miss offer indeed, thanks for the information.

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Kaputzy

The licensing issue is certainly a worry given the lack of feedback from Turbine. If you were entering into the game anew hoping for major longevity it's a question you would ask yourself, but... $20!!

Even if the lack-of-attaining-new-license meant game closure (which I cannot see happening whatsoever) any new player has at least till April to enjoy $20 worth of a game-bargain!

It's not about the 20 bucks, it's about the time Investment ;) Starting from the scratch just to recognize after a few months that the game is done would be a serious waste of time.

I just went back to get rid of my 23k Turbine Points (lifetime sub) and for nostalgia. But there's no way i would start now with all this insecurity and a only half decent new expansion. But evreybody is entitled to handle it their way :)

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

I  was debating starting lotro and this deal seems great!  

There is a monthly fee that's optional, if I recall. Going to see if it's a good idea. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Kwansei

https://store.lotro.com/en/expansion-packs/

Also half off all individual expansions -just not HD (the newest)

Does this include the content in the quest packs?  I see all the quest packs are priced at $80 right now.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I'm confused. When I stopped 5 years ago, I played through Moria and Mirkwood and stopped at level 65. I don't remember if I paid for Moria and Mirkwood or if they came with my subscription. I think they came with the subscription, but I dont remember. What is the best option for me? lol Do subscribers get that content for free if I was to be a subscriber?

There Is Always Hope!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I was playing earlier today and thinking to myself how I envied someone picking up the game today and all the content they had to play around with.   If you are the obsessive compulsive type and just had to do everything then this game would keep you busy for months. Of course, you can always speed run to the top but in LOTRO I just don't see the point.  

I love LOTRO , so of course Im biased.  Paying 20 for everything prior to HD is an amazing deal and I urge anyone with even a passing interest in this game to go for it.  

Just some info on me and my LOTRO experience to see if my advice means anything to you.

Im a lifer who started playing in 2008. I think Moria had just come out or maybe just prior to Moria.  I played the game heavy for years afterward and took a month or two break at points.  Lately I was gone for almost a year while I was playing GW2.  I came back a little more than a month ago and feel like I have fallen in love with LOTRO all over again.  Rohan has proved to be my favorite expansion easily.  War-steeds!   So much fun.  I play on Landroval and see a healthy population .   I have one character who groups as often as he can; one character who solos everything; and my other characters engage in a mixture of solo and group play.  A kin can help as others have mentioned but often I will just PUG an encounter.  LOTRO has one of the best communities around and rarely do I have a problem with a PUG group.  Im active in the global chat and when someone I remembered from playing years ago noticed me they just sent me some new gear.  In this game you can often find near strangers helping you out in a way I rarely see in other games.  

I love GW2 but for me the story and lore in LOTRO are unmatched even today. 

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    If you want to explore possibly the best maps and content in any MMO to date this is quite a bargain. SoA was truly a work of art brought to you by people who were passionate about the story.