Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street to Leave Blizzard

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    People come and people go, 5 years on the same project... he was probably offered a good opportunity outside Blizzard too good to pass up.  Good luck to the guy he probably had one of the hardest jobs in video games... trying to make decisions that will please everyone.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by expresso
    People come and people go, 5 years on the same project... he was probably offered a good opportunity outside Blizzard too good to pass up.  Good luck to the guy he probably had one of the hardest jobs in video games... trying to make decisions that will please everyone.

NIce sum up. Just can't wait to what's his next job. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Greg Street was the lead system designer of WoW. He became the "face of evil" by being a very active and communicative person on the WoW forums.

Some people have a weird notion that WoW would have done better if it was not for GC, i personally think those people are confused... But that is my opinion. I personally have enjoyed how his team have worked to streamline a lot of very clunky features in to one of the smoothest games on the market. Who ever take up the reins will have some big shoes to fill... Especially on the whole "forum activity" part.

Will have to keep an eye on where he end up.

This have been a good conversation

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    2 things.

1- I hope he loves his new job
    2- oh lord please don't let itbe with ccp.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    This is great news.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by itchmon
    2 things.

1- I hope he loves his new job

Ya...he's moving on from Blizzard to CCP. That would make no sense.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    I heard Brad McQuaid made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Now, THIS is some awesome news.

• kaellankaellan Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Anyone know what the new project is?
  • cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by SteamRanger
    Christmas came early!

thank you sir, just made my day

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    maybe the new guy will finally buff warriors.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I will miss him, unlike some.  I enjoy playing the game.  Just a suggestion for a replacement, could we have Metzen do video updates instead of just posting stuff...I could listen to him talk all day lol.  Lok'tar ogar!
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Good luck with your future endeavors. Hopefully you have learned a thing or two, or 9.3 million.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    is he the person who invented dailies and reputation in MMOs?
  • SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Three bad expansions and unrepairable damage to the game later and now he wants to leave. He should have been fired years ago. But you have to give it to him if he didn't understand something he simply removed it or gave it to everyone. 

Thanks for the memories you @#$%@#$%@#$%.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218

AW MY GAWD WOW IS GONNE DIE NAU!!!!

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by itchmon

If he did let him work on the DUST game, that is almost dead and buried anyway.

My take would be a Disney Star Wars franchise game, as they are keen to release a batch of games when the newest episode is released.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I thought the game pretty much went downhill when the good devs left WOW and he took over?

I don't really follow the game that closely as I'm not an end game raider and haven't been since early TBC.

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Good riddance.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Three bad expansions and unrepairable damage to the game later and now he wants to leave. He should have been fired years ago. But you have to give it to him if he didn't understand something he simply removed it or gave it to everyone. 

Thanks for the memories you @#$%@#$%@#$%.

Exactly this!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Originally posted by nationalcity
    lol, who will everyone blame now for all the Wow problems 8P

Hopefully people will come to realize that it is folly to do so with out intimate knowledge and an unbias nature.  In most cases lack of interest is self served, though to come to the acceptance that once wasted 9+ years on a game that they then quit is too much to bare for some.  People need scape goats, and who better than to blame the most vocal and those with a title next to their name?  People quit out of loss or personal interest and use little things as reasons so that they are able to fool themselves otherwise.  It's hard to keep count of people who quit because of one simple little change; they just look for reasons and then join in on the mob mentality to make it so that it's Blizzard's fault they quit and not their own (one reason I laugh at is the talent changes... as if looking up a website for the efficient pick for 1 minute and then never having to worry about it again or even press the talent interface for as long as they play WoW.  The new talent system makes me access it on an hourly basis depending what class I want, if I'm solo, If I'm in dungeon, PvP, certain bosses, or just different rotations and tactics).  Though we just need to find that one thing we don't agree with and then stubbornly stick with it without trying things out for ourselves or letting ourselves take a balanced viewpoint once again.  Human nature and all that.

Originally posted by tawess

Greg Street was the lead system designer of WoW. He became the "face of evil" by being a very active and communicative person on the WoW forums.

Some people have a weird notion that WoW would have done better if it was not for GC, i personally think those people are confused... But that is my opinion. I personally have enjoyed how his team have worked to streamline a lot of very clunky features in to one of the smoothest games on the market. Who ever take up the reins will have some big shoes to fill... Especially on the whole "forum activity" part.

The main problem is that he responded to so many people through various outlets (as you said).  Had he just remained silent the whole time there would be less presumptions and less people upset that the WoW team didn't meet their demands.  Most of the time he gave sound reasons as to things and even responded well enough in some capacity.  Though with that people expect more and more and the insatiable are never... satiated.  There are even a few comments here stating that they don't like how he handled some things.  Poor reasons to be happy at seeing someone go.  Though there was also a wise saying stating that "it's better to have the evil you know, than the evil you don't" when referring to some individuals.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't when there is high expectations or a long term playerbase.  Now we just need to find reasons to hate the one who takes his place so that we can feel good about ourselves.  Though I could imagine this being good news if one did not like any of the last three expansions at all (even though numbers peaked during Wrath).  Some horrible systems put into place during the beginning of Cataclysm, to be sure.  Yet he had experience and years of mistakes to learn from.  Whoever they replace them with will have to have errors of their own to learn from now.

Though as a whole it seems like a good opportunity has arrived for him.  That presents something new for both him and the game that many love or love to hate.  Perhaps some fresh air is needed or perhaps this is the worse thing that could possibly happen at this junction.  Time will be the judge of that.  Perhaps even the bias nature people had towards him will make them positively bias towards the game and new decisions made just because it isn't the the same man baring the title as before.  Though at the end of the day it's the same developers for the game.  If what they've told me when I talked to some of them at various events, each member has a say in development and teamwork is crucial.  Therefore I wonder if this is the placebo that some of the masses need to once again "enjoy" their time.  Though I'd imagine those who blamed him will just say something along the lines as "x years too late" and use that as their new excuse to justify to themselves the time spent and why they quit.  After all, it's hard to quit something addictive if one does not find something to blame or a goal to achieve.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    It'd be cool if when you guys post news you told us who the dude is. I had to Google to find out he was the lead system designer.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by tawess

I stopped playing WoW since WotLK with ICC but I recall reading that the dev's no longer communicate via forums and everything was done by twitter?

I disliked GC ever since he was adament that prot warriors were fine, regardless that all other tank classes were numerically proven to be better by a substantial amount with the exception of the DK.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Probably too little too late, but it's good to see Blizzard finally taking out the trash. Hopefully his next job is walking to the mailbox to collect his unemployment check. 
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    thanks for a good time in tbc and wrath Ghostcrawler, i loved it then. Best of luck on your next endevour!