Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just downloaded for the first time in 5 years...some advice

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

So I have a hunter level 65 which I haven't touched in 5 years. Since there is no other MMO interesting to me right now and I'm now slightly pessimistic of a couple of upcoming games, I decided to see if this game, the last game that actually felt like a home for more than 6 months, will interest me again. I left ages ago finding it hard west coast time (Los Angeles) to find groups at night during the week. I chose the Landroval server again, probably my favorite server in any MMO ever.

Anyway, so much has changed, and I'm wondering if you recommend I start from the beginning, or pick up where I left off keeping in mind I don't remember any of my abilities, it looks like my trees were reset, and god knows how much else has changed since the last update I remember which was around Legacy items. I don't even remember how I got those lol.

Also, should I suck up the VIP fee? 15 a month isn't anything that bothers me.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    I would say start a new chr, will help with learning the new Rift style skill tree's. The sub is completely up to you though. On another note I have a very similar problem being a west coaster, live in oregon and my kin's raiding time is at my dinner time. Alway's a fun challenge to heal and chow on dinner. :)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Second that, if you haven't played for years, it's much better to start a new hunter, level it to 20-25 (it's easy and fast now with the changes), and only then checking your 65. Or, stick to the new one and make that a new main :)

Based on that it's your first time since the f2p switch, if you choose to keep the new character to level him up, it'd worth to drop in 1 month sub after you reach at the end of Lone Lands. Probably you have some TPs as a former subscriber, but with the switch you lost access to the lvl30-lvl50 region (the questing part I mean, you can go there of course to farm or just for the sight).

If the $15 is not a big issue, or you just don't want to messing around with the f2p system, you can go for the sub, not only 1 month I mean, the recurring one. There aren't much perks in it (except PvMP which is sub-only), but it's much more convenient than juggling around with the restrictions.

LIs, you got the first when you enter Moria. And from the lvl65 I assume you have Mirkwood as well. Vip doesn't include the expansions, so you'll need to buy Isengard and Rohan when you get there.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Thank you. I decided to try a healer for the first time in any MMO just to try something new so I chose a Minstrel with a healing focused skill tree. Got to level 6 pretty quickly. The graphics seem improved since 5 years ago w everything on max. I didn't feel like I was playing a super old MMO except during the character creation which I don't care that much about. They did such a good job with the music, ambient sounds, and just the cozy feeling I like about the game. It just right away feels rpg like. So far I'm enjoying the character. The only thing that surprised me is that I started in archet instead of the shire which was a bit disappointing and I'm wondering at what level I should travel all the way to the shire or is it already too late lol.

There Is Always Hope!

If you started a hobbit (hobbit minstrels ftw ;) ) then you'll get back to the Shire after Archet (you are there only because you were kdnapped alongside Mundo). So when Archet is safe again, you'll find yourself in Little Delving.

There was a graphic overhaul a while ago, the highres textures are looking great indeed when everything is on Ultra or Very high.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Just enjoy the ride, 95 levels of fun and great stories ahead...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    It will only take you about 10mins to learn the new skill trees. Keep your character, who in their right might could stomach leveling up to and through Moria again.  I just resubbed with my 67 Burg but also have a hunter around 45 and just could bring myself to even level him through Moria so went with the Burg.  Having a good time, great game.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Definitely sub!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by goboygo
    It will only take you about 10mins to learn the new skill trees. Keep your character, who in their right might could stomach leveling up to and through Moria again.  I just resubbed with my 67 Burg but also have a hunter around 45 and just could bring myself to even level him through Moria so went with the Burg.  Having a good time, great game.

Though I don't agree with all of this (I enjoyed Moria) I do agree that it's not rocket science. Go to an area with a lot of enemies, orc camp or some such thing, that is several levels below yours and just figure out the skills.

Unless you want to experience a level one character to refresh your sense of the world and story, it's not hard to figure out the mechanics.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Much easier to pick up a new character now too, since they revamped all the skills in the Helm's Deep expansion and you have a lot less than before. I have been gone a month and logged in to see my lv 62 hunter's toolbars almost empty!
  • RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Start anew but using a different type of character.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I just installed it last week after having been gone even longer than you. I just left my level 52 Loremaster and Burglar parked over on Landroval and started a new Loremaster on Brandywine.

Even if Helm's Deep hadn't changed the classes so much, I would have done that anyway at least for a few levels in order to get the feel of the game again. The new class trait system and the peculiarities of their "in your face" cash store take some getting used to.

The quests for the low levels are mostly all the same and they start coming back to you pretty quickly, although the experience gain is accelerated by default (without boosts) and you'll find yourself leaving areas after doing fewer quests than before.

My new character is 29 now and questing around Esteldin. It's starting to feel very familiar.

But it's funny going back after having played so many new MMOS... Maybe it's just me but I'm finding the individual ability delays, inductions, GCD and huge number of abilities tough to get used to again: the pace of combat feels much slower and tactical than the current crop of MMOs...not necessarily a bad thing but definitely noticeable. It's like getting a live reminder of the evolution of MMOs towards more FPS-like gameplay.

Anyway... I'm definitely enjoying it again.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by goboygo

Though I don't agree with all of this (I enjoyed Moria) I do agree that it's not rocket science. Go to an area with a lot of enemies, orc camp or some such thing, that is several levels below yours and just figure out the skills.

Unless you want to experience a level one character to refresh your sense of the world and story, it's not hard to figure out the mechanics.

To be honest I never completely felt like I had chosen the right class back then. I found my hunter kinda boring, but I invested so much time in him I never let go. Originally I tried a Loremaster like Iselin but after playing a Mage in WOW for so long it felt like an insult to a magic user lol. Then the uproar happened when they came out with the Runekeeper to please people like me (sorry lol) and I loved that class. Problem is I want to be a hobbit and Runekeeper isn't a choice. So I chose a Minstrel and am leaning on just starting fresh. Healers are always wanted in every game and if I like it, maybe I'll continue being one in future games like ESO if that game ends up to be OK by release. At some point the game will be so familiar that I may pick up the hunter, but at least I have a lot of money on that toon lol. So yea, I'm doing a reset for two reason, a sense of the world again and getting used to a different play style. I don't mind Moria I guess even though it was my least favorite area.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Iselin

I just installed it last week after having been gone even longer than you. I just left my level 52 Loremaster and Burglar parked over on Landroval and started a new Loremaster on Brandywine.

Even if Helm's Deep hadn't changed the classes so much, I would have done that anyway at least for a few levels in order to get the feel of the game again. The new class trait system and the peculiarities of their "in your face" cash store take some getting used to.

The quests for the low levels are mostly all the same and they start coming back to you pretty quickly, although the experience gain is accelerated by default (without boosts) and you'll find yourself leaving areas after doing fewer quests than before.

My new character is 29 now and questing around Esteldin. It's starting to feel very familiar.

But it's funny going back after having played so many new MMOS... Maybe it's just me but I'm finding the individual ability delays, inductions, GCD and huge number of abilities tough to get used to again: the pace of combat feels much slower and tactical than the current crop of MMOs...not necessarily a bad thing but definitely noticeable. It's like getting a live reminder of the evolution of MMOs towards more FPS-like gameplay.

You suck. I already am so familiar w you here maybe we could have played together lol. Anyway glad you are enjoying it :-). I am too and the improved graphics helped a lot.

There Is Always Hope!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Iselin

You suck. I already am so familiar w you here maybe we could have played together lol. Anyway glad you are enjoying it :-). I am too and the improved graphics helped a lot.

Heh. I might just stick with this one until ESO comes out image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Also you can have up to 2 different spec's saved, hobbit mini's ftw :D

They also do pretty good damage going red line.

Originally posted by clumsytoes44

It's only beaten by a hobbit guard...

I had for some time as a desktop background that demotivation pic where the whole fellowship is on their knees defeated, except the guard who is casually lying by the feet of the boss, with the text beneath: Never trust a guard who can feign death :D

(can't find it to link)

LMAO! Awesome po_gg :D

They also do pretty good damage going red line.

You can? I didn't know that. I'll need to research how one does that....unless you want to tell me :-)

Update.....Figured it out, It was just a tab selection :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• KaputzyKaputzy Member UncommonPosts: 91

I also jumped back in after a hiatus and it's good to hear you guys are doing likewise!

I'm liking the new trait system and cannot say it's taken a huge amount of getting used to. @ the OP, if you enjoyed your hunter I'd say carry on! Still plenty of content for you to see post 65 and it won't take you  long at all to get used to the changes.

Originally posted by Kaputzy

I also jumped back in after a hiatus and it's good to hear you guys are doing likewise!

I'm liking the new trait system and cannot say it's taken a huge amount of getting used to. @ the OP, if you enjoyed your hunter I'd say carry on! Still plenty of content for you to see post 65 and it won't take you  long at all to get used to the changes.

I decided to start all over to 1) Try a healer for the first time ever 2) Because the hunter was OK, but never really excited me 3) because I always wanted to try playing as a Hobbit through the Shire lol.

There Is Always Hope!

LMAO! Awesome po_gg :D

I know :) I still haven't found that exact pic, but found a similar one on the demotivational thread, it includes wardens as well, so it's not "never trust a guard", it's "never trust a tank" instead:

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii338/cloudtrader/demotivationalposer-tanks.jpg