Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA Combat Revealed!

golden.radishgolden.radish Member UncommonPosts: 12

Chris Spears, Technical Director for Shroud of the Avatar, has posted a detailed description of SotA's new innovative combat UI.

Check it out  here.  You can also see a demonstration video of the described system, shown here.

In particular, note that the combat UI will feature a randomized placement of skills, rather than the traditional user defined placement of skills, on the combat hotbar.

Enjoy!

EDIT:  Sorry the youtube embed didn't work, just use the link. Sorry. :(  I can't seem to delete the embed, either! /grumble

Comments

• BilgatoBilgato Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Thanks for pointing this out.
  • SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

this game intended to attract UO players yet they have

a: no full loot system

b: bad combat system

c: P2W button (plots)

amazing how companies come up with such idea's

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Combat is a cardgame, just awful.

It will remove focus from the actual battle since you will be looking at your cards instead of your opponent.

It will remove PvP skills but that is intentional since SotA is doing anything to please the casual players.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Well there goes my last bit of hope this would turn out ok.....

Shoukd have seen this coming with the crazy ass real estate auction this game has become. Niw youcan buy a house and play cards Iin it. Fabulous!!

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Instead of bashing the system, could you give some advice? Do you prefer a combat system like GW2?  WOW? 

Do you need a complicated combat system or something simple as to not disrupt the flow of combat?

How important is it to create a unique combat system?

Would you prefer a standard system and just get on with the rest of the game or do you need some new type of combat system to draw you in?

******This system is not set in stone, it can be changed*********

Originally posted by GungaDin

Instead of bashing the system, could you give some advice? Do you prefer a combat system like GW2?  WOW? 

Do you need a complicated combat system or something simple as to not disrupt the flow of combat?

Would you prefer a standard system and just get on with the rest of the game or do you need some new type of combat system to draw you in?

Make it exactly like oldschool UO was, pre Age of Shadows. Timed drops, no buttonbashing and definetly no lucky random cards involved, it was all skill. That was the system RG created a long time ago and i have to say he havent evolved. I dont even believe RG himself really understood how good and skillbased  the UO combat was. Some developers of SotA even call old UO  a buttonsmashing PvP which tell me how incredibly ignorant of UO they are.

Remove cards!!! How can anyone in his right mind believe looking at cards will give you any PvP flow, just amazing. UO was not complicated to play but to play it as well as the really skilled veterans could take a year of training.

It is important they create a fun and skillbased PvP system, not a system where a lucky cards do the difference. 

UO was standard and if they would announce a system exactly like UO with full loot and hardcore consequences and risk they would have had twice the pledgers by now, at least.

Originally posted by Aragon100

Make it exactly like oldschool UO was, pre Age of Shadows. Timed drops, no buttonbashing and definetly no lucky random cards involved, it was all skill. That was the system RG created a long time ago and i have to say he havent evolved. I dont even believe RG himself really understood how good and skillbased  the UO combat was. Some developers of SotA even call old UO  a buttonsmashing PvP which tell me how incredibly ignorant of UO they are.

Remove cards!!! How can anyone in his right mind believe looking at cards will give you any PvP flow, just amazing. UO was not complicated to play but to play it as well as the really skilled veterans could take a year of training.

It is important they create a fun and skillbased PvP system, not a system where a lucky cards do the difference. 

UO was standard and if they would announce a system exactly like UO with full loot and hardcore consequences and risk they would have had twice the pledgers by now, at least.

Better lol

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    • I agree the combat looked a little ho-hum, but it is early in the game.  The characters look a little stiff and uninterested in battle (The guards in the first dungeon scene).  I think as long as there is an element of risk present in the combat, it will be enjoyable (stuns and debuffs).
    • I thought the scene jams at the end of the video and the discussion on player-created art and content is awesome.  Not only awesome that they are employing the skills of their players, but that it looks so good, too.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Better lol

Yes lightyears better. There havent been a combat system better and more skillbased then old UO and it is a old one.

Why even comment on it if you have no clue?

And if you do i would appreciate you to inform me and all other here what was wrong with the old UO system.

Better lol

Yes lightyears better. There havent been a combat system better and more skillbased then old UO and it is a old one.

And if you do i would appreciate you to inform me and all other here what was wrong with the old UO system.

Wait .. what ?  Have no clue ?? I started with UO.  The better was meant to reinforce your feedback.  I commented to get some other ideas, because I doubt it will ever go back to UO style.

So, if that is the case, what other system would you go for?  Instead of yelling "old uo, old uo".  

Better lol

Wait .. what ?  Have no clue ?? I started with UO.  The better was meant to reinforce your feedback.  I commented to get some other ideas, because I doubt it will ever go back to UO style.

So, if that is the case, what other system would you go for?  Instead of yelling "old uo, old uo".  

Oh i thought you wanted ideas, not telling us what ideas is acceptable.

You are right, Gunga. Nobody is offering any soloutions.

I think that GuildWars 1 had the best "card" system. You pick the 8 skills you want and those are what you have. You factor in usefulness, mana/energy, and cool down time. 10 people can play the same class and everyone can do it differently accordingly to their playstyle.

GW2 is my second fav. card type set up.

I'd much prefer a 'stationary' card system to how I think they are describing the spinning slot-machine thing.

A few months til the combat tests, we should unify on this if the system is not good and stay unified to put pressure on them instead of everyone complaining seperately off-site or on. 

People who are primarily intrested in PvE and PvP will be the ones who matter in this (crafters don't count) and nobody will listen to a bunch of scattered complainers.

I just think its obvious, they won't just use UO combat.  

GW2 i'm playing again and to be honest, kind of like the simple combat system with combos, finishers and switching of weapons. The system is Simple but intelligent.

• steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130

It is INCREDIBLY important to have a unique or quality combat system. WoWs combat is so tired and old. Darkfalls is bad, others are just boring and variations of the same lame mechanics.

When can we get a strong motion based combat that is as close as you can to actual combat IRL?

I want to have meaningful punches and spells. If you hit someone with a fire ball little numbers aren't going to pop up over their head and they'll heedlessly continue their actions. You punch someone in the face, they react. Why not strive for that?

How about skills activated on how the way you move your mouse and click your button, or how you actually punch (kinect based), or how about the pattern you wave your arms activates a spell. No UI elements, simply motion controlled recognition. Hell, can even use something like the leap motion controller.

So many alternatives to this lame turn based skill use combat with stupid numbers.

• odienmanodienman Member UncommonPosts: 61
    So let me get this straight, they want to make the combat experience random and not about how well you know how to execute your skills in a game environment?  I played MTG for years and won a few large tournaments, but left as it became more and more clear that it was heavily lucky with a combination of deck construction.  I like being able to use my skills knowing that I will have them when I want them or plan on having them, not them randomly being given to me.  I'd much rather die in PvP and PvE because I screwed up and not because the game didn't give me my dodge roll or execute attack.....
    Originally posted by steuss

It is INCREDIBLY important to have a unique or quality combat system. WoWs combat is so tired and old. Darkfalls is bad, others are just boring and variations of the same lame mechanics.

When can we get a strong motion based combat that is as close as you can to actual combat IRL?

I want to have meaningful punches and spells. If you hit someone with a fire ball little numbers aren't going to pop up over their head and they'll heedlessly continue their actions. You punch someone in the face, they react. Why not strive for that?

How about skills activated on how the way you move your mouse and click your button, or how you actually punch (kinect based), or how about the pattern you wave your arms activates a spell. No UI elements, simply motion controlled recognition. Hell, can even use something like the leap motion controller.

So many alternatives to this lame turn based skill use combat with stupid numbers.

If you've played Chivalry and/or War of The Roses, they have motion/mouse controlled combat, but that style excludes a lot of people. You can't be too innovative and get great results. People like the familiar (no matter what they say to impress others. People don't quit WoW because of uninspiredness, just boredom which is different) . 

Switch it up a little, but don't totally rework it, I think.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I've never had a game developer show me in such intricate detail just how badly wasted my financial contribution to their project has been before, and this after telling me that because it wasn't enough, I can't access the full game!

Not since the closing down of Hellgate: London have I felt this badly ripped off (thankfully for a lesser amount this time).

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

I've never had a game developer show me in such intricate detail just how badly wasted my financial contribution to their project has been before, and this after telling me that because it wasn't enough, I can't access the full game!

Not since the closing down of Hellgate: London have I felt this badly ripped off (thankfully for a lesser amount this time).

The HellGate:London "incident' left a scar on my soul too, friend. = (

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    WHAT?! .... O.o For real? Naw, haha, this is a joke right? It can't be lol. No, no, no, no, NO! *Throws hands up and glares at devs* I give up... Guys, for the love of the genre and the UO series, go back in your meeting office and try talking this through again, please. :-)
    Isaiah 41:10
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Wait wait wait... What did I just watch? I am not entirely well versed in SotA specifics, so if someone could help me out, please feel free.

Why exactly is the skill placement randomized? I don't get it. Like, I can't conceive of the reasoning behind it. Perhaps I am overlooking a key element that will make it clear to me.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Almost ALL hope lost for this game.

1) Core features (mainly housing) being auctioned off to highest bidders

2) #1 getting worse with more and more pay-to-win items being added

3) Skill system doesn't level the skills you are actually using

4) Now this? Combat is not skill-based but card-based -- are you freaking kidding me??

As far as I'm concerned the project has totally derailed. Don't know if it's even worth the effort to try to get my money back.

• underthebridgeunderthebridge Member Posts: 7

I am starting to lose faith in this game.

Richard Garriott is trying to make this game an old-school RPG, like cards being dealt in a table top RPG game.

What the devs fail to realize is that this system is mostly a luck-based one, NOT skill-based... it will never bode well with players in a video game, especially when it comes to PVP.

Oh well, I guess there's other MMO's to look forward to.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Couldn't agree more.

And they still wonder why the fundraising barely inches up a few bucks per month, while Star Citizen raises a million a week.

Hmmmm, maybe quintupling the size of the cash shop over the last few months with predominantly p2w items wasn't the answer?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

RG did not design the combat in UO. Raph Koster did.

• underthebridgeunderthebridge Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Bilgato

A few months til the combat tests, we should unify on this if the system is not good and stay unified to put pressure on them instead of everyone complaining seperately off-site or on. 

People who are primarily intrested in PvE and PvP will be the ones who matter in this (crafters don't count) and nobody will listen to a bunch of scattered complainers.

With you 100% on this.

I doubt anyone would continue playing SotA once they find out that combat has little human skill involved, but rather is dependent on a game of chance. How fun is that? And SotA team say they are creating a game for us players??

Well,  We need to speak up! If we sit back and do nothing, it will become another failed mmo.... We've seen it all before-- game that has promising innovative ideas but tries to reinvent the wheel too much.

What we should all do is come to some general agreement on how the combat system should or should not be. There seems to at least be a consensus here that randomly dealt skills is a NO-NO... so that will be our starting point. While we may differ on smaller details, we want to keep the message clear and unified.

Then at some point we should all gather and post our opinions on their forum, maybe on a new thread or poll or something. Unlike scattered people, they will listen to a large-scale backlash from the community. I don't know what's going on in the minds of the devs, but my thought is that they are getting mostly positive feedback from Ex-UO diehard fans and blindsighted followers who invested hundreds of dollars, so they don't have much of a clue.