Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Winter Beta Progress Report

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

WildStar’s Winter Closed Beta has been rolling along now for a few weeks, and we pulled Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney out of the game his busy work schedule to chat about the progress Carbine is making, what the good and bad feedback has been on the beta so far, and when we can expect the floodgates to open and let loose thousands more testers into the fray. Plus, Jeremy may or may not have let slip a detail or two on the final two classes. Read on and find out for yourself.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's WildStar: Winter Beta Progress Report

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I have a feeling that I've found a new "home". A beta key in December will probably be a decisive factor. Nothing like trying it out for yourself :)
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I'm happy to hear they are having in mind that many people (like myself) are altoholics and appreciate different starting and leveling zones for our characters.

Actually, most of the dev speak coming from Carbine makes sense from gamer's perspective, like they really are picking up player feedback and modelling the game accordingly. 

I have my fingers crossed for Wildstar.

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    This game will get me back to mmos :)

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I have a feeling this game is going to be amazing. Hope it's good enough to pull me out of guildwars 2.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Well the babe in the picture looks like she knows how to handle a pistol, WS at least has that going for it. :)
  • StormNetStormNet Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Really looking forward to this game, hope it doesn't let me down...
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Gonna be fun!
  • DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Krighton

OH look. The beta that wasn't a beta, that wasn't in beta testing  but doesn't invite anyone except people they know to a beta that isn't going to happen.

Marketing hype. All talk and no show.

WildStar. The iPhone of the MMO industry.

Butthurt because you haven't received an invite to participate in the beta? I think so!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

This game is basically very polished 2.1 version of WOW done right.

It has lot of potential if you are into this sort of thing. (Themepark)

I rather wait for sandbox MMO

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    On my radar. Where's my beta key! Been supporting NC Soft long enough!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    A-yeah. We have a confirmed sighting of boobs on the front page. Wildstar link. Over.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Roger that boob sighting tom_gore, do we get a prize? Over.
  • Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I'm really looking forward to this title.  I haven't been this anxious for a game in years.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    this game looks exciting although usually not a big fan of cartoony, but I like this
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I really hope I get a beta key... I have been registered for beta since the day signups started though so I'm not very hopeful :/

Smile

• JynxxJynxx Member Posts: 21

Open world? Check.  Housing? Check. Rails if you want them? Check.

Looks to be a fun version of other games we are familiar with and definitely not to be taken seriously.  Having viewed the teasers, website, etc., it's appealing to even older folks like myself.  Life can be daunting enough and we look for our games to take a break from those harsh realities. 

Really looking forward to seeing this succeed.

Originally posted by DrinkFeck

OH look. The beta that wasn't a beta, that wasn't in beta testing  but doesn't invite anyone except people they know to a beta that isn't going to happen.

Butthurt because you haven't received an invite to participate in the beta? I think so!

I don't know... A lot of my friends are up for beta signups too and they haven't received a code either. And I have more friends from other games who say they haven't gotten one either. This is either an extremely limited beta or only certain people are being allowed in.

Smile

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    You know looking at the past of a lot of mmo's that came out recently, im not really getting hyped for this. To afraid it will be a let down again just like the others that went before WS.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Beta could mean 10 people testing. Obviously it doesn't say much of the Massive side of the game, but there's no set rule that (early) betas of a game need to have everyone and their dogs testing it.

• CuddlepuppehCuddlepuppeh Member Posts: 2

I saw an /r/wildstar post recently about the communities thoughts on the release/purchase of a collectors edition. I have literally set aside a solid bill (dat Benjamin) to compensate for however Carbine (or NCSOFT?) decides to release the game.

Anyone else see that post? 

What are your thoughts? 

I believe the question was something along the lines of, "...should a collectors edition copy of the game be released, would you purchase it and why? ....a new (intellectual property) from a relatively unheard of design company... what is your reasoning for justifying said purchase?" not verbatim, mind you, but something to that extent.

I am DEFINITELY buying the top tier edition I can. I can't verbalize how excited I am for this game.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I'm glad they are keeping the beta quite small, biggest mistake they can make is having massive betas with players burning out on a game that won't be out for 5-6 months.

• CuddlepuppehCuddlepuppeh Member Posts: 2
    *cough Warhammer cough*
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Test stability with under 20k people. Nice.
    [mod edit]

Smile

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by DrinkFeck

I don't know... A lot of my friends are up for beta signups too and they haven't received a code either. And I have more friends from other games who say they haven't gotten one either. This is either an extremely limited beta or only certain people are being allowed in.

The article states that Carbine invited back between 10 to 13K of the original testers for the winter test then slowly seeded in another 1k. Even at 14k maximum beta testers,  it's still only a very small fraction of the overall applications. It's also been stated that they are closely controlling how many users they invite until the the flood gates are released for open beta.

Other limitations may apply such as location and computer specifications.

This is of course one massive lie, and it's all for "marketing purposes", the beta doesn't actually exist...