Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who has Quit EVE Since odyssey?

Comments

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Not to mention... I'd rather have a bunch of balancing and adjusting updates instead of another batch of pants down retarded ships like those T3s are (which are still waiting for rebalancing in near future).
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Hazelle
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by uplink4242

Wrong. CCP has been told multiple times from players that they should redirect efforts into game balancing, UI and new player experience instead of new shinys for some years now. They are now doing exactly what the community asked since the last 2 expansions. People that complain about ships have a short memory of the bullshit the game was some years back when only a small fraction of them were actually viable.

Just because they have other side projects, it does not mean they have less people working in EVE. If anything, the subscriber count which is higher than always indicates that they are expanding their studio and developers.

Of course, not every expansion can appease to everyone. I'm not saying Odyssey was particulary impressive or that Rubicon will either, but you should understand that 9-10 year players aren't really their main focus of interest when developing content.

I don't believe for one minute that "CCP has been told multiple times from players that they should redirect efforts into game balancing [away from new content]..."

Who do you think these 'players' are most likely to be? I suspect they are CCP employees who see a chance to reduce their workload.

For example, as a player, what would you rather have - a 'tweaked' game of the same Eve Online or an entirely  new expansion of Eve Online?

BUT as an employee who wants to have a relaxing day and get home at 5.30pm, what would you rather do? Tweak something for a few hours, have some fun in the office, and get home early or work very hard for someone else's profits with no additional benefit to yourself?

As a player I'd rather have CCP focus on the things they can actually acheive instead of kicking something out the door and never looking at it again.

They'd promise a mountain but deliver a molehill.

I totally disagree with you.

T3 and sleeper wormholes came out in the same expansion, and they were both totally brilliant.

With CCP's current business model, an expansion like that will never ever happen again.

The best you can hope for will be a Well Balanced Game* that everyone will get bored of within a few months - so ushering in the next round of cheap adjustments.

*The definition of a 'Well Balanced Game' is a subjective opinion provided by a player who is given an 'I Win' button through developer oversight.

Yeah new ships are something we'll never see again as long as you don't count the tier 3 BCs, the destroyers, ore frigate, navy BCs, and the new sisters exploration ships; you are correct, there will be no new ships in eve, not even if you count the new T2 BS bastion mode.

And new areas of space to inhabit are also off the table as long as you ignore their future plans to allow players to discover new areas of space and add those areas to the known universe.

It's been two years since the threat of an incarna exodus changed CCPs focus and the game has broken it's record on player subs and most players in a single battle; sounds like eve is on the very edge of losing all of their subs to me. 

Perhaps I should have emphasised the new wormholes rather than the T3 ships. (Although the T3 ships are very different from the 'standard' ships you are referring to - you are not really comparing like-with-like at all).

The problem with adding a few new ships per year is that we already have hundreds of ships to choose from.  Adding further ships is subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns.

What Eve Online needs is something new and big - like wormholes - that offers a whole new style of gameplay.

By the way, are you a CCP dev by any chance? 

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Wrong. CCP has been told multiple times from players that they should redirect efforts into game balancing, UI and new player experience instead of new shinys for some years now. They are now doing exactly what the community asked since the last 2 expansions. People that complain about ships have a short memory of the bullshit the game was some years back when only a small fraction of them were actually viable.

Just because they have other side projects, it does not mean they have less people working in EVE. If anything, the subscriber count which is higher than always indicates that they are expanding their studio and developers.

Of course, not every expansion can appease to everyone. I'm not saying Odyssey was particulary impressive or that Rubicon will either, but you should understand that 9-10 year players aren't really their main focus of interest when developing content.

I don't believe for one minute that "CCP has been told multiple times from players that they should redirect efforts into game balancing [away from new content]..."

Who do you think these 'players' are most likely to be? I suspect they are CCP employees who see a chance to reduce their workload.

For example, as a player, what would you rather have - a 'tweaked' game of the same Eve Online or an entirely  new expansion of Eve Online?

BUT as an employee who wants to have a relaxing day and get home at 5.30pm, what would you rather do? Tweak something for a few hours, have some fun in the office, and get home early or work very hard for someone else's profits with no additional benefit to yourself?

As a player I'd rather have CCP focus on the things they can actually acheive instead of kicking something out the door and never looking at it again.

T3 and sleeper wormholes came out in the same expansion, and they were both totally brilliant.

With CCP's current business model, an expansion like that will never ever happen again.

The best you can hope for will be a Well Balanced Game* that everyone will get bored of within a few months - so ushering in the next round of cheap adjustments.

*The definition of a 'Well Balanced Game' is a subjective opinion provided by a player who is given an 'I Win' button through developer oversight.

Yeah new ships are something we'll never see again as long as you don't count the tier 3 BCs, the destroyers, ore frigate, navy BCs, and the new sisters exploration ships; you are correct, there will be no new ships in eve, not even if you count the new T2 BS bastion mode.

And new areas of space to inhabit are also off the table as long as you ignore their future plans to allow players to discover new areas of space and add those areas to the known universe.

It's been two years since the threat of an incarna exodus changed CCPs focus and the game has broken it's record on player subs and most players in a single battle; sounds like eve is on the very edge of losing all of their subs to me. 

Perhaps I should have emphasised the new wormholes rather than the T3 ships. (Although the T3 ships are very different from the 'standard' ships you are referring to - you are not really comparing like-with-like at all).

The problem with adding a few new ships per year is that we already have hundreds of ships to choose from.  Adding further ships is subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns.

What Eve Online needs is something new and big - like wormholes - that offers a whole new style of gameplay.

To counter the problem you've described above, which is a current problem in the game, they are currently working to rebalance the old existing ships which is something you recognize as a problem but would rather CCP focus on something else.  I'd perfer them to focus on it.

CCP offers free expansions.  Under other development companies they produce an expansion and then bill the players for it recovering the cost of the development plu$ a bit on the $ide; CCP can't do that so getting a mists of pandaria or a jump to light speed expansion is rare but not impossible, it will just take longer to develop.  Add to that the player driven market.  Add to that player expectations with the skills and gamestyle they've come to expect when they login to eve (the point of this thread).  Add to that the fact that there are areas in the game that badly needed to be revamped, rebalanced, reworked, improved, changed, and/or added to.

I'm sure there will be a time for whole new styles of gameplay but first thing is first.

No I don't work for CCP but I'll give them a break, especially since I don't pay them any money.

To counter the problem you've described above, which is a current problem in the game, they are currently working to rebalance the old existing ships which is something you recognize as a problem but would rather CCP focus on something else.  I'd perfer them to focus on it.

CCP offers free expansions.  Under other development companies they produce an expansion and then bill the players for it recovering the cost of the development plu$ a bit on the $ide; CCP can't do that so getting a mists of pandaria or a jump to light speed expansion is rare but not impossible, it will just take longer to develop.  Add to that the player driven market.  Add to that player expectations with the skills and gamestyle they've come to expect when they login to eve (the point of this thread).  Add to that the fact that there are areas in the game that badly needed to be revamped, rebalanced, reworked, improved, changed, and/or added to.

I'm sure there will be a time for whole new styles of gameplay but first thing is first.

No I don't work for CCP but I'll give them a break, especially since I don't pay them any money.

No - you're putting words into my mouth - and you are wrong on just about everything. 

It's impossible to balance a game so that 100% of players continue to remain satisfied. Trying to rebalance Eve is a fool's errand. However, 'rebalencing' gives the illusion that CCP are doing something useful to improve the game, when they are not. It's a cheap PR trick - so in a sense they are not being fools at all - they are stringing people - like you - along.

CCP does not offer free expansions! You pay for them with your subscription! Eve very expensive for just a game - 10 $ or £ or Euros per month! I am sure that a significant amount of this doesn't go on Eve - it goes on WoD, Valkryie, and propping up DUST etc.

No - you're putting words into my mouth - and you are wrong on just about everything. 

It's impossible to balance a game so that 100% of players continue to remain satisfied. Trying to rebalance Eve is a fool's errand. However, 'rebalencing' gives the illusion that CCP are doing something useful to improve the game, when they are not. It's a cheap PR trick - so in a sense they are not being fools at all - they are stringing people - like you - along.

CCP does not offer free expansions! You pay for them with your subscription! Eve very expensive for just a game - 10 $ or £ or Euros per month! I am sure that a significant amount of this doesn't go on Eve - it goes on WoD, Valkryie, and propping up DUST etc.

"Adding further ships is subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns." Was your complaint not mine.  I was happy with my Tengu but they made the CNR a bit better in the last expansion so now I'm happy with it; what's that you say?  The golem is now worth looking into for this expansion?  Curse you CCP and your cheap PR tricks and illusions that have somehow forced me out of the tengu I've been flying for the past few years, landed me into a CNR, and given me the goal of flying a golem.

Are you telling me that CCP is purposefully trying to string me along month after month in a fiendish attempt to collect subscription dollars from me?  Good god!  Why hasn't MMORPG.com done an exposé on these dirty deeds?  You've certainly opened my eyes about this evil business practice and in the future I'll be sure to give my monthly subscription dollars to a MMORPG game company that isn't interested in retaining me as a monthly customer.

The price you pay as a sub for eve online is the industry standard for a subscription based MMORPG, but what isn't industry standard is that CCP doesn't charge an extra amount of money for expansions, therefor, one can legitimately call them free under those terms (I described all of this above).

"Adding further ships is subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns." Was your complaint not mine.  I was happy with my Tengu but they made the CNR a bit better in the last expansion so now I'm happy with it; what's that you say?  The golem is now worth looking into for this expansion?  Curse you CCP and your cheap PR tricks and illusions that have somehow forced me out of the tengu I've been flying for the past few years, landed me into a CNR, and given me the goal of flying a golem.

Are you telling me that CCP is purposefully trying to string me along month after month in a fiendish attempt to collect subscription dollars from me?  Good god!  Why hasn't MMORPG.com done an exposé on these dirty deeds?  You've certainly opened my eyes about this evil business practice and in the future I'll be sure to give my monthly subscription dollars to a MMORPG game company that isn't interested in retaining me as a monthly customer.

The price you pay as a sub for eve online is the industry standard for a subscription based MMORPG, but what isn't industry standard is that CCP doesn't charge an extra amount of money for expansions, therefor, one can legitimately call them free under those terms (I described all of this above).

I've changed my opinion of Rubicon - over the last few days more information has been released about the new expansion and it looks like a relatively good one - compared to other games. I like the addition of ghost sites and new marauder abilities.  

However, I won't be re-subbing because for the price of over £80 per year CCP should be developing Walking in Stations as well. And remember that most players have two accounts and do not have the cheaper yearly subscription, so most players are probably paying about £200 per year.

I am sure that £200 per year is well over the "industry standard" you are referring to. It's a Rolls Royce price for a game. If you pay the money for a Rolls Royce you expect a Rolls Royce.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Except you can get other people to pay for your rolls royce. :P

Besides, eve is one of the few p2p games to have free expansions. I think Rubicon could be better, but it's definetly worth my time.

WIS features:

Walking in a station.

Yeah that's so much better than time dilation, revamped bounty hunter system, crimewatch, new ships, etc. etc. etc. Things that actually add to the game of eve online.  Being able to go for a stroll in a station isn't going to be the rise or fall of a PC or player corp in the eve universe.  No ships are destroyed when you have you toon sit down.  No fortunes will be made when you opt to have your toon stand.

As far as price goes:

Rift :  14.99 a month or $65.94 for 6 months + pay to play expansion

WoW: 14.99 a month or 77.94 for 6 months + pay to play expansion

SWTOR: 14.99 a month or 77.94 for 6 months + pay to play expansion

Eve:  14.95 per month or 71.70 for 6 months + no additional cost for expansions

You can see that the subscription price scheme is in line with the other games listed above, infact, it's cheaper than a few and you don't directly pay for expansions as you do for the other games listed.

Of course you could just choose to pay in PLEX and get everything for free.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    I left the game, not because of anything in the expansion, but because I just got tired of it. I had seven years of EVE on and off and I just felt it was time for a change and time to move on to some other games. I'm not sure I'll be back, it's pretty unlikely, I just have no enthusiasm for it anymore.

/signed .... although I still maintain 2 accounts and log in while watching TV to market trade and chat with people I know in game. I still haven't had the enthusiasm to undock and actually do anything in about a year. 

• jackocompjackocomp Member UncommonPosts: 50

Hmmm ok well from the OP I think what has happened is the following: (I say this because the Ice changes in EVE happened long enough ago now for this person to have left the game a 101 times. There were no further changes in the latest update so why now?)

OP gets ganked on his BOT mining accounts & has a cry but thinks he is still sweet.

Not long after it happens again.

Next day the twit works out that he is now a known BOT miner & no matter what happens he is always going to keep getting ganked as they now are using locator agents to find his BOTS.

Soon after changes come through that make his BOT mining near impossible without having to put a bit of effort into the game so he/she decides they will run to the EVE-O forums & have a cry. Only problems is the OP finds that no-one cares if he is going to leave the game & he then gets mega-trolled out of the EVE-O forums.

Now at a loss the OP runs to these forums hoping people will be more sympathetic to them, unfortunately that isn't gong to happen either, so now what?

If you don't want to play the game then don't, we however don't want to hear about how poor little you can't have things your way so your quitting. Kick along with it or learn to suffer a bit more quietly cause really no-one cares.....

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by jackocomp

Hmmm ok well from the OP I think what has happened is the following: (I say this because the Ice changes in EVE happened long enough ago now for this person to have left the game a 101 times. There were no further changes in the latest update so why now?)

OP gets ganked on his BOT mining accounts & has a cry but thinks he is still sweet.

Not long after it happens again.

Next day the twit works out that he is now a known BOT miner & no matter what happens he is always going to keep getting ganked as they now are using locator agents to find his BOTS.

Soon after changes come through that make his BOT mining near impossible without having to put a bit of effort into the game so he/she decides they will run to the EVE-O forums & have a cry. Only problems is the OP finds that no-one cares if he is going to leave the game & he then gets mega-trolled out of the EVE-O forums.

Now at a loss the OP runs to these forums hoping people will be more sympathetic to them, unfortunately that isn't gong to happen either, so now what?

If you don't want to play the game then don't, we however don't want to hear about how poor little you can't have things your way so your quitting. Kick along with it or learn to suffer a bit more quietly cause really no-one cares.....

You're wrong here. If game devs never listened to carebears & control freaks, nerfs wouldn't happen.

I'm against botting (and it's sister: low-work-farming) in all forms (legal or illegal.) I see it akin to the low income people getting handouts in real life. If I can stop that in game or IRL in any way... I definitely would/will.

Besides, eve is one of the few p2p games to have free expansions. I think Rubicon could be better, but it's definetly worth my time.

Yes, some people no doubt get others to pay the Rolls Royce price. However, to do this they must play Eve like it's a job.  Otherwise, CCP would not make any profit.

WIS features:

Walking in a station.

Yeah that's so much better than time dilation, revamped bounty hunter system, crimewatch, new ships, etc. etc. etc. Things that actually add to the game of eve online.  Being able to go for a stroll in a station isn't going to be the rise or fall of a PC or player corp in the eve universe.  No ships are destroyed when you have you toon sit down.  No fortunes will be made when you opt to have your toon stand.

As far as price goes:

You can see that the subscription price scheme is in line with the other games listed above, infact, it's cheaper than a few and you don't directly pay for expansions as you do for the other games listed.

No. The list you mention are tweaks to gameplay already there. They are subject to the law of diminishing returns.

The other games you list are overpriced and are not representative of the MMORPG genre as it is becoming. For example, GW2 has no subscription but now gets better reviews than WoW. SWTOR has a reputation for awfulness.

• cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73
    i left the game, oh wait it never played it.  im sure ice mining is fun though
  • sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

This is actually why Eve Online and CCP are so great.

They frequently make changes which cleans out the junk players :)

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

i had an account for 10 years, and an alt account for the last three.

EVE is a great game, but , in the end, it is  a game and all games get stale.

i,ll never go back, but for what its worth, EVE gave me some of the most fun ive ever had in a game.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

WIS features:

Walking in a station.

As far as price goes:

No. The list you mention are tweaks to gameplay already there. They are subject to the law of diminishing returns.

The other games you list are overpriced and are not representative of the MMORPG genre as it is becoming. For example, GW2 has no subscription but now gets better reviews than WoW. SWTOR has a reputation for awfulness.

You are going to have to explain what you mean by those features being subject to the laws of diminishing returns I'm not seeing the connection.

Those games I listed are the most popular for the subscription payment scheme which is what we were discussing.  GW2 doesn't offer subsription fees so why would I list it?  However, if you want to discuss the cheapest payment scheme it's CCP's PLEX scheme:  Don't want to pay a sub fee?  Don't want to pay for an expansion?  Buy a plex with your ingame success and play for free.  No sub fee and no expansion cost = Zero dollars only ISK which doesn't exist outside of the game.  PLEX beats all the other MMORPG payment schemes.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Yes, some people no doubt get others to pay the Rolls Royce price. However, to do this they must play Eve like it's a job.  Otherwise, CCP would not make any profit.

Strange, I haven't done PVE/mining in some 6y, don't leech on alliance members working for me, dont use bots, my reaction towers and blueprints are not used atm and wooosh, wtf, 4.1b in 90 minutes....that's 8 months of EVE subscription for 1 character.

Damn what a harsh job this is.

**there are more ways to earn ISK ingame, not all efforts need grinding.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

WIS features:

Walking in a station.

As far as price goes:

You are going to have to explain what you mean by those features being subject to the laws of diminishing returns I'm not seeing the connection.

Those games I listed are the most popular for the subscription payment scheme which is what we were discussing.  GW2 doesn't offer subsription fees so why would I list it?  However, if you want to discuss the cheapest payment scheme it's CCP's PLEX scheme:  Don't want to pay a sub fee?  Don't want to pay for an expansion?  Buy a plex with your ingame success and play for free.  No sub fee and no expansion cost = Zero dollars only ISK which doesn't exist outside of the game.  PLEX beats all the other MMORPG payment schemes.

One possible explanation as to why you're not aware of the "law of diminishing returns" is your relatively young age (or the relatively short length of time you've been playing MMORPGs). You simply haven't got to that stage in your gaming life yet.

Therefore, for you, the subscription probably is still worth it.

Originally posted by Muke

Strange, I haven't done PVE/mining in some 6y, don't leech on alliance members working for me, dont use bots, my reaction towers and blueprints are not used atm and wooosh, wtf, 4.1b in 90 minutes....that's 8 months of EVE subscription for 1 character.

Damn what a harsh job this is.

**there are more ways to earn ISK ingame, not all efforts need grinding.

You are a very unusual Eve player. To you, a Titan - the most expensive ship class in the game - must be reasonably affordable.

It takes most players an hour of running level 4 missions to earn a fraction of 1b ISK.

Congratulations on winning Eve.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    I like the new changes in Eve A LOT, people that are quitting due to them (if any are actually doing that, I sincerely doubt it) are exactly the lot that should leave in order to make this a better game for the rest of us.

WIS features:

Walking in a station.

As far as price goes:

One possible explanation as to why you're not aware of the "law of diminishing returns" is your relatively young age (or the relatively short length of time you've been playing MMORPGs). You simply haven't got to that stage in your gaming life yet.

Non of what you typed above is relevant because I'm aware of the concept but I don't see how it applies in your example; but you've asserted that it does, so go ahead and explain your position.

WIS features:

Walking in a station.

As far as price goes:

Non of what you typed above is relevant because I'm aware of the concept but I don't see how it applies in your example; but you've asserted that it does, so go ahead and explain your position.

Assuming you have first-hand experience of the concept of the 'law of diminishing returns', here goes:

Eve Online relies on an infinite variation of player-made interaction in order to maintain infinite player interest. However, the flaw is that Eve Online does not have an infinite variation of player-made interaction. 

Many of the activities within Eve Online are similar and finite. For example, gate camping. 

Once you have experienced several examples of each activity, interest tends to wain. 

Waining of interest is delayed by the time-based skilling system that delays the gaining of experience of each activity.

Currently, CCP are countering this by releasing content that can be quickly experienced and are marketing it as infinite content, e.g. - "Rubican - there is no turning back". (The implication being you could spend your whole life enjoying Eve!)

The solution is to enable players to generate infinite content - such as giving us a 'lego set' in space - similar to MineCraft. But CCP have other plans - they are using most of the revenue from Eve to fund WoD, DUST, and Valkyrie etc.

I really hope that answers your question!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Currently, CCP are countering this by releasing content that can be quickly experienced and are marketing it as infinite content, e.g. - "Rubican - there is no turning back". (The implication being you could spend your whole life enjoying Eve!)

Actually, the tagline refers to the event the expansion was named after which is the Crossing of the Rubicon, an historical moment where Caesar's army knew that by crossing over, their actions would be seen as insurrection and there would be no turning back for them. In Rubicon, there are features, live events and storyline that focus on this turning point, as the players seize further control of the universe in which they inhabit, basically defying the NPC empires to which they normally answer. It's one of the first steps in CCP Seagull's vision for the direction of EVE Online, and an example of the type of the content you'll see in future expansions.

The rest of your post was... well, you seem rather convinced of it, so I'll leave you to your beliefs. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

The solution is to enable players to generate infinite content - such as giving us a 'lego set' in space - similar to MineCraft. 

Ok, that logic i flawed. Any player made content is still bound by limits, thus in the end will only deliver a finite amount of variations, not unlike your gate camp example, and thus turn repetitive and have deminishing returns following you own logic. Player made content is not some kind magic well that will turn out infinete content. It will create scenarios playing out within a given set of rules, and thus only marginally different from random generated content.

That aside you are completely misusing the concept of deminishing returns...