Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for someone who liked AC1, DAOC, SWG?

Looking for more freedom, and less quests (tedious tasks). I am really itching to play something in a medieval Camelot type realm. Not a fan of cartoony. I spend most of my weekends trying to find a game to play and can't find anything that holds my interest.

Was a huge fan of DAOC for it's atmosphere and difficulty, as well as the grouping aspect. Loved AC1's open world, twitch based combat and randomly generated loot system as well as dungeons with puzzles. SWG had the best crafting and housing system. Was also a fan of the non combat classes.

Imagine a game that shared all of this... If only.

Looking for suggestions! Thank you.

Comments

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

All of that? Can't help ya. For DAoC-like rvr, dedicated crafter (non combat) classes, open world, player-built everything, and a combat system built on a custom engine designed for pure rvr, you might have a winner in 2015 with Camelot Unchained. It's a long wait, but Mark Jacobs and the gang at CSE update regularly with development statuses detailing roughly weekly objectives and completed/incomplete follow-ups for those interested in keeping track. There's no PVE leveling or gear drops planned, but mobs will drop materials for crafting, and they are bringing back Darkness Falls and putting special forges and material drops in it to benefit the realm holding it. Post-apocalyptic Arthurian theme with the same three realms reinvented crazy-style.

You probably know all this, but just in case... 

• WhipsmackWhipsmack Member Posts: 37
    No I certainly don't expect all of that. I'm just saying those are my favorite things in games and would be happy with just one or anything.

I should mention that I did enjoy Darkfall for a brief time. But I never was into the PVP community it attracted. Basically foul-mouthed, wannabe gangsters that know how to use computers.

I just recently heard about Camelot unchained and it did look promising. I signed up for the newsletter.

Instead of just waiting around for something perfect to play i've decided to start crafting my own crappy 2d game for my own entertainment haha.

Thats the thing game play to me is better than graphics. I'm just bored with the old school games. They were and are great, but it feels dead when the world is empty.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Whipsmack
    No I certainly don't expect all of that. I'm just saying those are my favorite things in games and would be happy with just one or anything. I should mention that I did enjoy Darkfall for a brief time. But I never was into the PVP community it attracted. Basically foul-mouthed, wannabe gangsters that know how to use computers. I just recently heard about Camelot unchained and it did look promising. I signed up for the newsletter. Instead of just waiting around for something perfect to play i've decided to start crafting my own crappy 2d game for my own entertainment haha. Thats the thing game play to me is better than graphics. I'm just bored with the old school games. They were and are great, but it feels dead when the world is empty.

Hey that's awesome :) I am right there with you on the gameplay over graphics thing.  I think we are experiencing the calm before the storm right now. So many indie games with promise in development. Good luck with your game... keep us updated in the Developer's Corner. I love hearing about the small-scale development process.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Try vanguard, it has the biggest world by far.
  • FootsoreFootsore Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Well from just watching the new Darkfall trailer, I gotta say I was brought back to DAoC pvp in a big way. It looks like it may be worth a look. http://www.darkfallonline.com/
  • RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Runescape, you will have something new to do everyday, guaranteed.

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Try vanguard, it has the biggest world by far.

Agreed, Vanguard has most of what you enjoy. I'd give it a try OP.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Footsore
    Well from just watching the new Darkfall trailer, I gotta say I was brought back to DAoC pvp in a big way. It looks like it may be worth a look. http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Darkfail has nothing to do with Daoc. Its an insult to mention it in the same sentence as the great daoc.

Maybe you should look back at WoW, it has improved very much.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Agree on Vanguard. If you can get past the small population.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

If you liked swg you might as well play SWGEMU http://www.swgemu.com

It might only have 1 server but the population is probably bigger than playing Vanguard.

• FootsoreFootsore Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by mari3k

Darkfail has nothing to do with Daoc. Its an insult to mention it in the same sentence as the great daoc.

DAOC was great fun until the first major content patch, but everyone quit after that. I'm just saying that the trailer strongly reminded me of it. The fortress defenses, Epic battlegrounds, etc. Darkfall Unholy War got an enthusiastic first look review, and has a pretty decent 7.6 score, and most importantly its not asian managed...

DAOC was great fun until the first major content patch, but everyone quit after that. I'm just saying that the trailer strongly reminded me of it. The fortress defenses, Epic battlegrounds, etc. Darkfall Unholy War got an enthusiastic first look review, and has a pretty decent 7.6 score, and most importantly its not asian managed...

lol racist much?

Most game aren't managed by Asian country owners (or as you said, "Asian managed") anyways - the might own stakes in it but they don't manage it.

The only one that sells to the west that I can think of that is developed by Asian countries is Age of Wushu, and they are doing a pretty decent job.

Also, in general, a very significant portion of the people in the IT/CGI industry are of Asian ethnicity (East-Asian or Indian or Middle East background).

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Age of Conan
  • Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

lol racist much?

Most game aren't managed by Asian country owners (or as you said, "Asian managed") anyways - the might own stakes in it but they don't manage it.

The only one that sells to the west that I can think of that is developed by Asian countries is Age of Wushu, and they are doing a pretty decent job.

Also, in general, a very significant portion of the people in the IT/CGI industry are of Asian ethnicity (East-Asian or Indian or Middle East background).

What the hell? Who cares. Take your little PC rant elsewhere.

OP, what you are looking for is not out yet. Camelot Unchained is a good option, but still has awhile to go. GW2 obviously has RvR style pvp, but that is about all it has going for it. ArchAge may be something to look into as well (also not out yet), but it is an asian-based MMO so expect grind and cashshop. 

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Q. Suggestions for someone who liked AC1, DAOC, SWG?

A. Find a new hobby.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    There's a DAoC classic freeshard called Uthgard that recreates the DAoC you probably remember perfectly.  Check it out.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Terrible game, not worthy of being mentioned in the same paragraph as Daoc, much less the same sentence.

OP, games like those do not exist anymore, all we have now are solo themeparks 'with built in chat rooms.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    PvP, dedicated crafters unlimited character customization, civil FFA world. Try Age of Wushu.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Looking for more freedom, and less quests (tedious tasks). I am really itching to play something in a medieval Camelot type realm. Not a fan of cartoony. I spend most of my weekends trying to find a game to play and can't find anything that holds my interest. Was a huge fan of DAOC for it's atmosphere and difficulty, as well as the grouping aspect. Loved AC1's open world, twitch based combat and randomly generated loot system as well as dungeons with puzzles. SWG had the best crafting and housing system. Was also a fan of the non combat classes. Imagine a game that shared all of this... If only. Looking for suggestions! Thank you.

GW2 WvW of coz. Incredible fun mass PvP.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Looking for more freedom, and less quests (tedious tasks). I am really itching to play something in a medieval Camelot type realm. Not a fan of cartoony. I spend most of my weekends trying to find a game to play and can't find anything that holds my interest. Was a huge fan of DAOC for it's atmosphere and difficulty, as well as the grouping aspect. Loved AC1's open world, twitch based combat and randomly generated loot system as well as dungeons with puzzles. SWG had the best crafting and housing system. Was also a fan of the non combat classes. Imagine a game that shared all of this... If only. Looking for suggestions! Thank you.

TESO for now.  See how it develops.  But as a ridiculously addicted DAoC fan since 2001...I really liked TESO's feel (though many will not).  Trying not to break the NDA lol.

Anyway, Camelot Unchained might be what we are ALL waiting for. :)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Eldevin comes out saturday, could be worth a look.  Albion could be one to watch in the future.
    Originally posted by Jagsman32
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

lol racist much?

What the hell? Who cares. Take your little PC rant elsewhere.

Lol so basically not only that it is okay to be factually wrong BUT it is also okay to just generalize a whole population of people make crap?

lol okay

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326

Some ppl recommend Darkfall, but since u dont like cartoony graphics, the only other choice of a game with the same characteristics (openworld, twich based combat, grouping, good crafting) with realistic graphics is Mortal Online.... it might be a Little buggy, but most of the gamebreaking bugs are fixed...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Get yourself a Tardis and take team of top programming and graphics talent with you back in time. Give one of those MMOs you mentioned a HD makeover and tweak a couple of bits of gameplay. Oh and enjoy the community that has largely left MMO land while you are at it.

Alternatively join a good guild in any MMO which keeps the old flame alive. That's what I do.