Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Fractured Update Will Unite Players

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Ironically, the next Guild Wars 2 update, Fractured, will not likely fracture the player-base. In fact, a lot of the changes to the game’s signature dungeon (Fractals of the Mists) will do for Tyria what other open world updates have done: bring players together and give them a reason to do so. The Fractured update is where Commander Ellen Kiel will make good on her election campaign promise. Read on for more reasons why.

During the elections held a few months back, Ellen won over Evon Gnashblade by promising a host of things, but none so enticing as bringing the Thaumanova Reactor event to the Fractals. Additionally, two previous Living World events (the Aetherblade Retreat and Molten Weapons Facility) have been revamped to be a part of the Fractals too. And that’s kind of the idea behind FotM in general: it’s ArenaNet’s tool to revisit the past of all Tyrian lore and Fractured is only the beginning.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's GW2: Fractured Update Will Unite Players.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

So this update isn't fracturing the player-base, eh?  I guess you haven't been reading the feedback on the Official Forum regarding this, specifically this ~680 post thread.  

• pgdeanerpgdeaner Member UncommonPosts: 10

Wow, you mean they are going to wipe out people's progress and regurgitate some more old content?  Anet is soooooo cutting edge!

How about some new maps to explore?

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    There is no case that supports the idea that the revamped fotm will bring players together
  • LadyAsh1LadyAsh1 Member Posts: 8

When GW2 brings me a dungeon finder and end game content I'll come back. I still say it's one of my favorite, and best MMO's I've ever played. But regretfully there's just not enough to keep me coming back. 

It makes me sad actually. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by LadyAsh1

When GW2 brings me a dungeon finder and end game content I'll come back. I still say it's one of my favorite, and best MMO's I've ever played. But regretfully there's just not enough to keep me coming back. 

It has a dungeon finder - what are you talking about?

Re-educate yourself - that was SOO much a beta whine.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Dungeon finder was added a couple patches back. Gets you in a group in seconds, literally.

End game content? Well now you have 3 new fractals and fractal levels going even higher.

Also overland "raid" Tequatl added a few patches back.

Check it out. If you already own the game it won't cost you anything to come back for a look, unlike sub games where checking back sets you back a month's sub, even if you only check it out for 5 minutes and decide it's still garbage.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Most players SAY they want one thing but will play something else and then they wonder why Game Developers do not give them what they want. It is because what they say is not what they want - they want the same old thing.

A living world would be TOO HARD TO DO. As it would change EVERYTHING, including for new players. How do you do that? Right now we can barely manage to model a simple enzyme pathway on a supercomputer and people want things as complicated as a living world. They do not understand the complex nature of the beast and that we do not have enough computer power to support that and the multiplayer environment.

• pgdeanerpgdeaner Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Telondariel

So this update isn't fracturing the player-base, eh?  I guess you haven't been reading the feedback on the Official Forum regarding this, specifically this ~680 post thread.  

So when players say they want a world that actually changes and evolves they're totally full of it. When they say they don't want WoW clones and the same stale crap over and over again, what they really mean is, "We want WoW clones and the same stale crap over and over again."

So the players say, "Give us WoW progression with a WoW style dungeon finder, but make it not seem like WoW progression with a WoW style dungeon finder." Which is it?

I think what you're missing here is that everyone's definition of "world that actually changes and evolves" is different.  Personally I'm in the same boat where I loved GW2, but after getting map completion on my second toon I was looking for more permanent content.  What I wanted to see was the map areas that are currently not accessible become explorable.  I'd also like to see the personal story continue and evolve.  What happens to Destiny's Edge?

I guess for me the living story is a little stale.  Lots of mini events that grant chives and garbage gear.  It hardly has the epic feel of the initial personal story.  I could live without the dungeon finder, but do you really think the fractals are any different from the end game WoW dungeons that you grind over and over again to get gear?  Are you telling me that grinding to get agony resistance is any different than running dungeons over and over to get the gear needed to progress to the next level dungeon (fractal?).

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

All i say on that thread is cry babys complaining for losing a few levels, that if they are DAT hardcore they can get again.

I was 49, and i trade it freely if it means fractals wont be that boring unrewarding effort.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Dungeon finder was added a couple patches back. Gets you in a group in seconds, literally.

End game content? Well now you have 3 new fractals and fractal levels going even higher.

Also overland "raid" Tequatl added a few patches back.

Check it out. If you already own the game it won't cost you anything to come back for a look, unlike sub games where checking back sets you back a month's sub, even if you only check it out for 5 minutes and decide it's still garbage.

Unless you're trying to level in fractals in which case it's faster to 3man 1-20 and 4man 20-30.

Personally I've found Teq to be unstable and too laggy to enjoy. Yet I can do the same sized Rifts and Arkfalls in their respective game, so disappointing. Not to mention the culling is still extremely rough, even with the ability to customize it a little.

You know what I love even more? These small group sizes in dungeons, parties, and instances in general. Nothing like having Big Guilds that never play together, that only exist to zerg down worthless Guild Events.

The worst thing about the game for me is that everything revolves around money/gold, and the best way to earn money/gold is to not play the game. This is like game design 101 tier.

I'm curious to see if this batch of repetitive content actually last longer than 2 or 3 days.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    IMO I have all but given up on gw2 because of the pathetic content where you get no chance to actually survive. Being downed with one hit is not fun and gives no desire to go back to what ever did it so it can repeat it (or am I just getting too old to tolerate this type of crap)!
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I haven't played GW2 much lately... mainly because for some reason I lose interest fast. There is just something about the game that does not compel me to stick with it long. I think some have hit on one of the reasons. When you get 1 hit by an enemy over and over it becomes discouraging. The dragon fight in general is one I can think of, but even some of the harder mobs hit too hard. I love a challenge, but there is nothing challenging about hitting so hard if you miss a dodge your dead. 

• Originally posted by LadyAsh1

Guild Wars 2 has an lfg tool since september...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Seems like a great way to extend content image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by NobleNerd
    I haven't played GW2 much lately... mainly because for some reason I lose interest fast. There is just something about the game that does not compel me to stick with it long. I think some have hit on one of the reasons. When you get 1 hit by an enemy over and over it becomes discouraging. The dragon fight in general is one I can think of, but even some of the harder mobs hit too hard. I love a challenge, but there is nothing challenging about hitting so hard if you miss a dodge your dead. 

Yea that's an unfortunate effect of no trinity.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Leviathonlx

I was just about to say that.  GW2 needs some sort of team dynamics.  That is the problem and why I can't stay interested.  Everybody is DPS, there is no strategy or roles.  I mean, look at the arguments about this on the official forums.  There are players that DEMAND you be decked out in DPS gear only.

There is no class variety to me.  They seem different at first but in the end they are all just DPS, some just do it differently....

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I do wonder why I keep coming to read this news articles hoping to see a revamp of the skill bar. Guild Wars 2 always feels inferior to its predecessor for me.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

What makes me sad is the misinformed. Guild Wars 2 added a LFG tool which includes a dungeon finder over a month ago.

• akuma696akuma696 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Yes people who are crying about their fractal progression should just suck it up. But unfortunately Anet has screwed everyone over with the new gem store skins in this patch to the extent where i don't even want to try defend that dumb move
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

It doesn't matter what is added, there are always going to be some people that don't like it or wanted something else more.

Fact is, the first fractals was insanely popular and it brought something to the genre it had never seen before. This is about the only thing they could have put into the game that had any chance of pulling most of my guild out of WvW because fractals is never ending content that continually gets harder and harder...something most MMO players cant handle.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

I was just about to say that.  GW2 needs some sort of team dynamics.  That is the problem and why I can't stay interested.  Everybody is DPS, there is no strategy or roles.  I mean, look at the arguments about this on the official forums.  There are players that DEMAND you be decked out in DPS gear only.

There is no class variety to me.  They seem different at first but in the end they are all just DPS, some just do it differently....

Are you sure u were playing GW2? This game has more team dynamics than most games I've played (both with and without a trinity).

Not only does literally EVERY class get abilities that synergize with other teammates, you also have combo moves / finishers that add another layer to combat. In fact, the guardian currently has no viable DPS specs, and Anet is working on trying to fix that.

You're assuming that because every class can attack, that every class automatically becomes DPS, which is very shortsighted & narrow-minded. Take a look at MOBA games, and you might see there are ways of playing support that don't involve around spamming the 'heal' ability.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus

Are you sure u were playing GW2? This game has more team dynamics than most games I've played (both with and without a trinity).

Not only does literally EVERY class get abilities that synergize with other teammates, you also have combo moves / finishers that add another layer to combat. In fact, the guardian currently has no viable DPS specs, and Anet is working on trying to fix that.

You're assuming that because every class can attack, that every class automatically becomes DPS, which is very shortsighted & narrow-minded. Take a look at MOBA games, and you might see there are ways of playing support that don't involve around spamming the 'heal' ability.

We are definitely playing the same game.  The game I have three characters in. 

And Guardian has no DPS abilities?  Tell that to my ass kicking Guardian and her Two-Handed Sword....

I have played quite a bit of GW2, and I assume nothing.  I have played with a few different characters and yeah, I am not seeing it.  Every class seemed very similar.  I don't see the team dynamics and if you go on the official forums, you can see two or three active threads about team dynamics, the trinity and how PvE is a Zerker fest.... 

Your assumptions about what I assume is quite wrong.  I make my observation from experience.  Now, if you are talking about the PvP then you are absolutely right.  There are all sorts of builds to use in PvP.  But to say there are more team dynamics in the PvE than, "Dodge good and hit with high numbers.", then come on now....

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

I did not think it was possible for someone to outdo BioWare's lack of Q&A on updates nor so misread what the community wants. What a steaming pile of shit. Ironically, it was the introduction of Fractals a year ago that caused me to quit GW2 the first time. I came back about a month or two ago to find the same old bugs not fixed but since it was free, it was an otherwise decent experience. Again, the biggest reason I went back was it's free. But this content update....

the new SM fractal doesn't have a wp, so you'd better hope your entire party doesn't wipe. Because you're starting over. They tried to hotfix the 'no-wp' problem only to NOT fix it.

I guess I go hat in hand back to WoW....

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

This wont help unite players at all.

What will happen is people will just complain when they cant do their own level cause progression and still not play with lower fractal level players.

Sure getting some meaningless reward is nice but its just a band aid fix at best. Give it up ANet fractals are a disaster.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I have happily played every GW2 update since they started doing them. It's what keeps me playing the game, honestly. I am slowly working towards ascended crafting and VERY slowly towards a legendary, and the new events every 2 weeks really help to break up the monotonous grind and keep me interested in the game. However, I have never done a fractal and really have no interest in doing one now. Oh well, I guess I can't complain - it's not like I'm paying a sub fee, and even if I was, no other MMO releases new content every 2 weeks. Keep up the great work, Anet! Even when a new MMO comes out and steals my attention, I will still come back every 2 weeks to finish the meta achievements for new mins, backpieces, etc. I also REALLY liked the gas mask skin - it completed my thief's look PERFECTLY!