Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Among all incoming MMORPGs Star Citizen will prevail

13»

Comments

  • RPGForeverRPGForever PortoviejoPosts: 120Member
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Most people prefer to control a human and not a ship. For those who like controlling a ship i am sure it will be a great game.
    Sounds great for me.
     
     
     
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbournePosts: 1,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    It's just a poor mans version of Elite.

    SC is not really Elite-like at all.

     

    Chris Robert's sci-fi style has always been a lot more fiction-like than science-like. You can see it in Privateer 1 & 2 and Freelancer.

     

    X-series is a hell of a lot more poor man's Elite than any of Chris Robert's game ever was (Chris Roberts like walk around stations and such, David Braben don't care much about that aspect - his is more in details in docking, planetary and spaceflight mechanics)

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,415Member Uncommon

    Chris Roberts' best skill is selling Chris Roberts.

     

    I fully expect that Star Citizen will be as good as his director and producer Hollywood credits.

     

    Absolutely brilliant business moves though.  Sell-the-dream cash shop in advance....

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • eric_w66eric_w66 North Richland Hills, TXPosts: 1,006Member
    Originally posted by Snoepie

    yes indeed..

     

    i dont get this 

     

    SC is not even an mmo.. its  a hub game. heavly instancted, impossible to have 100+ players in one onze for example..

     

    It will prolly be a heck of  a single player experience tho..

    Everquest 1 and Asheron's Call were that way. Were they not MMO's? (Get more than 100 people in a zone in EQ1, and you get massive lag/disco's, in AC they just ported people out to less populated areas, portal storms if I remember correctly).

    Heck, Eve Online is mostly that way. Thousands of chatrooms (systems), get 100 people around and they have to "slow down time" to make combat work. Jita..... ugh.

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Originally posted by Snoepie

    yes indeed..

     

    i dont get this 

     

    SC is not even an mmo.. its  a hub game. heavly instancted, impossible to have 100+ players in one onze for example..

     

    It will prolly be a heck of  a single player experience tho..

    Everquest 1 and Asheron's Call were that way. Were they not MMO's? (Get more than 100 people in a zone in EQ1, and you get massive lag/disco's, in AC they just ported people out to less populated areas, portal storms if I remember correctly).

    Heck, Eve Online is mostly that way. Thousands of chatrooms (systems), get 100 people around and they have to "slow down time" to make combat work. Jita..... ugh.

    Eve online is not that way at all, you can have thousands of players in system in Eve, they introduced the time dilation just for that reason, to cope with the numbers, because there are no instances in Eve, not one. One server for all players, of which tonight there were over 44,000 players online, not the highest amount but its mid week, but just dealing with 100 players wouldnt really incur the 'dilation' effect, although obviously several hundred players would incur it at varying degree's the system CCP uses is very robust, it has to be, because when the really big fleet encounters kick off, there really is several thousand players. But yeah, Jita often has over 2000 players there, it is the main trading hub of the game after all image

  • DocBrodyDocBrody EldridgePosts: 1,820Member

    Star Citizen and World of Darkness will be the only MMOs I need for 2015-2020 and beyond.

     

    After SWG there will never be a good Star Wars MMO again, so time to focus on different IPs.

  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Phoenix, AZPosts: 823Member Uncommon

    I'm starting to have my doubts.

     The first indication was that in interviews he was sitting there with a game controller in hand , saying how superior PC's were and so on. Yet he has to design the UI to accommodate game controls and be compatible with them. So the game will be gear or highly sympathetic to that gameplay format. In a recent statement he stated that he's not adverse to putting the game on X-box 1 or PS4 , but certain condition need to be meet and they need to be met.

     Seems to me that all along he had every intention of getting this on consoles. From what I've seen on the hanger deck trial the game is heavily predisposed to being on Console.

     So as an MMO, we'll getting another dumbed down pos console game that will be peddled as for PC. The dev original intent  always being, that the game launch on PC, but aimed more directly at the larger market of Consoles. Like so many other games being released in the last few years.

    image
  • orionblackorionblack Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Alumicard

    You guys do know that if Star Citizen is an MMO then so is Minecraft.

    You will have a huge singleplayer campaign and privat servers which you can mod. None of the games listed are like this. You can compare it to Skyrim I guess.

    That's what i thought. I seem to read somewhere that SC is actually a single player game.

    So why do I keep seeing it listed as an mmo??

  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABPosts: 1,731Member Uncommon
    Let me know when there's an actual game to play and not just a cash shop with increasing feature creep and more stretch goals.  Funny how the cash shop is up and running and fully functional long before the game ever will be.

    image

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Unknown, AZPosts: 193Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    I'm a Star Citizen kickstarter, because of Wing Commander nostalgia. 

     

     

    Similarly, the genre in and of itself is a niche. Space sims are very 90s. Honestly, when was the last time that you saw a massive space sim? There's a very good reason for that. That isn't to say that people won't play it. I sometimes yearn for the old Privateer days, myself. Does that mean that CR can capture that same magic so many years later? When there are so many compelling games? Difficult to say. 

     

     

    X series is a pretty big space sim franchise. The game will be more or less like a Battlefield 3 server or diablo 2 lobby with private servers; log in a server, kill people, be a merchant, mercenary, transport vessel, log out to a different server, maybe sell some stuff, ect ect. I am just hoping the servers hold enough players at any given time; like 100. I am kinda weary about private servers, honestly since admin can abuse their power. I prefer to have servers set up by the developers themselves and heavily monitered with different rulesets, like RP ect.

    MurderHerd

  • HeraseHerase LondonPosts: 368Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by orionblack
    Originally posted by Alumicard

    You guys do know that if Star Citizen is an MMO then so is Minecraft.

    You will have a huge singleplayer campaign and privat servers which you can mod. None of the games listed are like this. You can compare it to Skyrim I guess.

    That's what i thought. I seem to read somewhere that SC is actually a single player game.

    So why do I keep seeing it listed as an mmo??

    I had look on the site an watched the video up on there, and it seem it will be both multiplayer and single player and they will be both connected.

     

    To touch on what i said early and to whoever asked. It seems you can land on space stations and leave your ship and do other things. So ill think ill keep an eye on this one :)

    The video if people want more info

    http://vimeo.com/73365240

  • skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member

    Once it's released there will be people on this site complaining about what SC couldn't be and how it is inferior to SWG in every way.

    image
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime OlympusPosts: 106Member

    There are many perspectives, even if hundreds of thousands including me, await SC as our next Vanilla WoW primary hangout/play all the time MMO, for at least some years, even those that say, even when the OP says, in the end noone writes off every other MMO.

    Many, so myself, are tired and fed up of cartoonish graphics. Second that, the Swtor MMO was supposed to be the chosen one, having the Star Wars IP, made by Bioware(Mass Effect), but didn't quite get there as promised or hyped or expected.

    Well if EA, with it's funds, and Bioware with it's talent and skills couldn't pull of a WoW in space, just a WoW on planets, with space rail combat, pretty much even more basic than the great old X-Wing vs Tie fighter, it isn't that irrational to understand why a hungry and way powerfull customer base, does exist, and wants a great Space Sim MMO. 

    The fierce and supportive attitude of the Star Citizen Community, has a root, and it's not neither elitist, nor only having to do, with investing lots of cash. It has to do with the spineless corporate suits, that have lied all these years, to corporations that the gaming market has no customers that want to play space sim combat games that go way and beyond from a space shooter, to a space opera, and a persistent universe to be in like in any MMO. I guess the continuing success of EVE has not rung any bells to these morons. They still call it a "niche" game too deep to play. The Space Sim Community is the largest and the most active one. It is still waiting for games like Star Citizen to prove they are worthy and equal to great space games of the past.

    To emphasize to the "deaf" industry, that although we, who also play cartoonish mmos, are space pilots in waiting, and we were waiting for more than 10 years for something they forgot.

    Only CR has heard us call for a continuation of the Wing Commander Saga, and to evolve it, in a world to play.

    The biggest difference of SC from all the rest, is that in SC, we get to see what is being made and intervene and ask the developers to deviate if need be, whereas all the rest make games behind closed curtains, and it's too late to change anything. So many good MMOs could have been salvaged from failure, if their development process was more open to their fans.

     

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by TyrianPrime

    There are many perspectives, even if hundreds of thousands including me, await SC as our next Vanilla WoW primary hangout/play all the time MMO, for at least some years, even those that say, even when the OP says, in the end noone writes off every other MMO.

    Many, so myself, are tired and fed up of cartoonish graphics. Second that, the Swtor MMO was supposed to be the chosen one, having the Star Wars IP, made by Bioware(Mass Effect), but didn't quite get there as promised or hyped or expected.

    Well if EA, with it's funds, and Bioware with it's talent and skills couldn't pull of a WoW in space, just a WoW on planets, with space rail combat, pretty much even more basic than the great old X-Wing vs Tie fighter, it isn't that irrational to understand why a hungry and way powerfull customer base, does exist, and wants a great Space Sim MMO. 

    The fierce and supportive attitude of the Star Citizen Community, has a root, and it's not neither elitist, nor only having to do, with investing lots of cash. It has to do with the spineless corporate suits, that have lied all these years, to corporations that the gaming market has no customers that want to play space sim combat games that go way and beyond from a space shooter, to a space opera, and a persistent universe to be in like in any MMO. I guess the continuing success of EVE has not rung any bells to these morons. They still call it a "niche" game too deep to play. The Space Sim Community is the largest and the most active one. It is still waiting for games like Star Citizen to prove they are worthy and equal to great space games of the past.

    To emphasize to the "deaf" industry, that although we, who also play cartoonish mmos, are space pilots in waiting, and we were waiting for more than 10 years for something they forgot.

    Only CR has heard us call for a continuation of the Wing Commander Saga, and to evolve it, in a world to play.

    The biggest difference of SC from all the rest, is that in SC, we get to see what is being made and intervene and ask the developers to deviate if need be, whereas all the rest make games behind closed curtains, and it's too late to change anything. So many good MMOs could have been salvaged from failure, if their development process was more open to their fans.

     

    Come to bash SWTOR when CR manages to build a Space Sim with each and every feature that SWTOR has.

    Some guy makes the other half of a coin and you are going "omg guise, the guy who made the first half is a complete failure. The one who made the second half is the best."

    There is a reason SC is only full Space Sim game with just some basic planet fighting promised. You can't have both the features in this age.

    SWTOR has Huge Planetary features with basic Space-sim features.

    SC has huge Space-Sim features with basic Planetary ones.

    image
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,415Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TyrianPrime

    .....

    Only CR has heard us call for a continuation of the Wing Commander Saga, and to evolve it, in a world to play.

    .....

     

    You guys are being played by a hack Hollywood producer who knows just how to lay on the hype.   And since Roberts can keep making money more easily by just saying he'll add more stuff, he'll just keep doing it.   And I am sure that he just loves the adulation he gets from the true believers. 

     

    Just remember, Richard Garriott sez Chris Roberts is a genius!

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • thinktank001thinktank001 oasisPosts: 2,027Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

    You guys are being played by a hack Hollywood producer who knows just how to lay on the hype.   And since Roberts can keep making money more easily by just saying he'll add more stuff, he'll just keep doing it.   And I am sure that he just loves the adulation he gets from the true believers. 

     

    Just remember, Richard Garriott sez Chris Roberts is a genius!

     

    It feels like I am watching the second release of AoC, SWTOR, WAR, and GW2 all over again.    Are people really this stupid?

  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,125Member Uncommon

    I am still waiting to be sold on a spacy game. I am very picky as it is a genre I was HUGE into when younger and everything has been a let down. I played Star Fleet Battles hardcore (tourney play) and await something worth my time.

     

    The OP also missed the one game I await (although am interested in others as well ... at least to see how they turn out):

     

    Camelot Unchained.

     

    I have no idea why so many (including the OP) feel that mmos will "fail". They only need to do well enough to exist and attract the correct crowd for this to happen. Just because you may no fit into that crowd does not mean the game failed.

     

    So please stop acting completely narcissistic and just focus on your own personal choice. Chances are that if you play the same game as me you will still have zero impact on my enjoyment of the game. Your opinion isn't at the center of the universe and may be in fact entirely meaningless to me.

    You stay sassy!

  • ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

    I read first couple pages :-D.

    Something I wish that SC has, and EVE had, and Pirates of the Burning Sea had, was to have a crew; not just a single player in a ship. Bigger ships should require bigger crew; or perhaps certain functions could be controlled by computer but be significantly boosted by a player.


    I want cooperative play inside one ship; not several single-pilot ships. I am happy to be the navigator, gunner, engineer, whatever. If I get enough experience then I can captain my own ship.


    It would be more immersive/realistic if ship costs were prohibitive but, rather than everyone owning a ship; everyone could be part of a crew. With enough in game experience/currency, crew members could buy their own ship.


    ** for extra bonus, I think it'd be awesome if a ship was a 3d object in which players could move around.

    Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLPosts: 867Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arclan

    Something I wish that SC has, and EVE had, and Pirates of the Burning Sea had, was to have a crew

    SC almost certainly will have this feature, and it won't be the first.

    Moving around inside the ship with a crew is also on SC's docket, along with boarding mechanics.

    "To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
    Authored 110 missions in Vendetta Online
    Check it out on Steam

  • ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

    Cool, thanks Phaser. Hmm I just read SC will have battle instances. Pirates of the Burning Sea had this and I really didn't like it. I was ganked one time, and when my friend arrived to help, he was unable to enter the battle instance. I guess as long as they make battle instances freely enterable (up to, say 50+ ships), then that's ok.

    Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

  • SteinarBSteinarB KristiansandPosts: 51Member Uncommon

    No.  Just, no.  You haven't done any research at all, have you?

     

    Star Citizen is not, has never been intended to be, and never will be a "lobby game" the way you're describing.  Claiming that to be true is just blatant ignorance at best and willful misinformation at worst.

     

    Private servers have _NOTHING_, absolutely nothing to do with the official persistent universe, which is the MMO part of the game.  The private servers are an entirely separate part where players can set up their own universe for themselves or their friends to play in if they do not wish to participate in the official online universe.  There they can mod the game to their heart's content (and I expect we'll see plenty of groups start private servers to set up their personal favourite sci-fi setting, from Star Wars to BSG to B5 and onwards).  Whatever you do in your private servers in no way transfers to or affects the persistent online universe.

    The official SC universe runs from a central server which handles all the backend stuff (economy, position in the persistent universe and so on).  From what the devs have said when you enter battle the system will transfer the workload of that bit to an official servers as close to your location (or if there's another player in the battle as well, the best possible choice for both of you)  as possible to combat the problems of pingtime and lag.  There will be servers for this in North America, Europe and Australasia so far.  These are not private servers.  These are not entered through a lobby or hub the way some people ignorantly claim.  The transfer to a server in a combat instance will happen dynamically and seamlessly in the background while you're flying around in space.  This official universe is 100 percent under CIG's control.  You cannot set up your own rules or bring your mods into the official universe the way you seem to think.

     

    And finally there's Squadron 42 which is a single player campaign as big as or bigger than the old single player Wing Commander games (or X-Wing/TIE Fighter if you are more familiar with those).

     

    Please, if you're going to make claims about a game, at least do it the courtesy of doing a bare minimum of research about it first.

     

    EDIT: Darnit, forgot to quote.  This was in response to IsillithTheroth's post on the previous page.

  • SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sawlstone

    I'm all for you being excited for Star Citizen, but you should probably limit it to "your feelings". Because quite frankly I don't agree with much of what you wrote. So 'we' does not include me.

    Yea, I agree...I'm pumped for SC...but most of what the op stated were his own guesses.  I can tell you that I am in the Korean BD, it's a blast.

    Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.