Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Among all incoming MMORPGs Star Citizen will prevail

Comments

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

TESO - game where everything what TES fans loved cut down for online sake. Nothing new for genre, pretty much singleplayer RPG with coop, like SWToR.

Wildstar - fun gameplay grabbed down by cartoonish graphics, that screams WoW.

Black Desert Online - typical korean grinder with sieges. Said to be sandbox. In truth not even close.

WAR40k Online - Space Marine copypaste.

Archeage - nice game, but no sandbox should be focused as much on quests and levels. Also sadly PvP is meaningless there.

Titan and World of Darkness - too early to start waiting. We know nothing about them.

Everquest Next - very promising in terms of gameplay and direction. Cartoonish graphics - huge con. Can be a big success or crashing fail depending on what devs do with their promises.

Edit**

Fanboytalk lots of it, mainly xxxx

So let me get this straight, because some of the games are not due out for some time 'they are not considered, now using our friend google we find http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule#cite_note-MMORPG-10

and on there you will see that the single player of this game is not due for at least 12months, and this is alpha version of hte single player,with possible december 2014 for the miultiverse SINGLE player.

So whilst the others have been playing for 12months and have had 12months of the updates etc, your fanboy game wont be even in beta you have judged it the "super duper best in the world ever ok yer"

While your playing your alpha single player i will be happily playing my 8th year in a universe that exists now and is fun, and until WoD comes out thats where i will personally say.

I will leave you with my own opinoin of which i have aired before, Personally im expecting a release about 2016 and it will say, thanks for the fish and im on my private island if you want me, here is your single player game

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I don't like the P2W aspect of the game, i can't believe what kind of ingame items they give out.

SC is everything i despise about our current "F2P" focused games.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Alumicard

You guys do know that if Star Citizen is an MMO then so is Minecraft.

You will have a huge singleplayer campaign and privat servers which you can mod. None of the games listed are like this. You can compare it to Skyrim I guess.

Exactly, this isn't an MMO, it's got a drop-in/drop-out single player campaign, it's got the ability to run private servers, this is more like a FPS with spaceships than an MMORPG.  Besides, I'm not remotely interested in eye candy or upgrading my computer so I can run this stupid thing, I'd much rather see them spend their compute cycles on excellent gameplay and we haven't seen that yet.

In reality, this is still just a fantasy.  They can let me know when it's actually been released.  Until then, I'm not interested in what might be someday.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SartoriussSartoriuss Member UncommonPosts: 30

In spite of the fact that I watching SC even before the Kickstarter, i hold low profile. Yes, the exteriors and especially the interiors of the ships are amazing. And many people find, that this is good place to invest. I can't judge them, although i am personally more interested in other aspects of promised game, core content. Until then i am stoic.

However, it seems to be also impact of the SC, that managers of some other games are forced to rush to implement additions and updates etc. and have risen from long lethargy.  

Now. Naming of specific space games as simulators isn't so trivial question, as it seems. I might maybe name Orbiter, as a decent example. SC have also potential, but only time can say. At least until they don't will put 3rd view combat in game, SC do not deserve to be called an arcade. I hope, they don't. What about other aspects...It supposed to be as Space sci-fi, imho. All concept art shows it.    

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130812233344/starcitizen/images/9/90/Stanton-Crusader_Medium07.jpg

Is SC a MMO? As they said long ago, that no. But their budget was then much less. Who knows what will be next year? Here's some explanation.  

In Star Citizen there is going to be one persistent universe server that everyone exists on. So you will never be separated from your friends, and if you want you’ll be able to join up and adventure together, you can. Due to the fidelity of the dogfighting and physics simulation we can’t however handle thousands of players in the same area of space. Even if you had enough internet bandwidth to handle the data going back and forth and a super computer for the server there’s no PC, even with quad SLI that could render that many spaceships with Star Citizen’s fidelity. So the “magic” of Star Citizen’s multiplayer design is how we combine a persistent universe with a more traditional (and easier to implement) temporary multiplayer “battle” instance.

Chris Roberts on Multiplayer, Single Player and Instancing

I would not be surprised if people were be more interested in MMO aspect, then this side of the game could get more attention.

And because account making on RSI site is free, there are no extra barriers, that interested people could not ask for more decisively to strengthen this part of the game. :D

Some find their account system a little tricky, but here is some explanation

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12960-Update-On-Naming-System

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

yes indeed..

i dont get this 

SC is not even an mmo.. its  a hub game. heavly instancted, impossible to have 100+ players in one onze for example..

It will prolly be a heck of  a single player experience tho..

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     There is going to be such an outcry of disappointment when SC releases, which will be amplified by the massive amount of people who decided to throw money at a product they have little to no control over.
  • Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    damn... cartoonish graphics are bad for mmos.. all this time i've been liking the wrong graphics in mmos. thank you OP for pointing this out to me.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    @ OP's title... "Nope"
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Star Citizen not an mmo but yeah it will crush just about any mmo to date when it releases. RSI actually knows how to build a fun game.
  • Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

Op's hype rating : 100

I have not seen any game that meets your expectation all these years.  This game will most likely fail.. You have to expect the unexpect.  Average game length to entertain you is 2-4 months within its content out on launch.  I have not meet any games that I haven't been to every content since Asheron's Call in 1999. Took me 7 years to play that game and still havent been to every content!

Kain_Dale

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    ArcheAge is being completely reworked so it's more sandbox focused and less quest/themepark oriented so by the time it comes to the NA that will already be in place so that point is moot.

Smile

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Redemp
     There is going to be such an outcry of disappointment when SC releases, which will be amplified by the massive amount of people who decided to throw money at a product they have little to no control over.

Yup. Even if it's a great game, there is still going to be a massive number of people who expected it to be more. Games have limitations, people's imaginations don't.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Oh, yes, it will be huge.

Among SciFi fans...

That like twitch based combat...

In a first person flight sim...

And with enough cash on hand...

So huge!

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

To answer the topic title:

Read line two of my Sig.

Have a great day. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

You state  Dark Millennium Online as 'Space Marine Copypasta' like that's a bad thing. Are you freaking kidding? Space Marine was a very good game, and to have combat like that in an MMO would be awesome!

Sad thing is that, while Star Citizen will most likely be a good (or even great) game, you're stating it as a fact despite having little to no actual knowledge of what the game is like, other than a very bare-bones hangar app & a lot of promises by a man who hasn't been relevant in the entertainment industry for over a decade.

What is gets my attention about Dark Millennium is thier choice of tech. Thier servers will be able to have HUGE battles with little to no lag. (This tech has already been proven in a live test test scenario with 1000 real players.) Now THAT is interesting for an MMO. SC has of yet to bring anything to the MMO part that warrents exitement.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Redemp

Yup. Even if it's a great game, there is still going to be a massive number of people who expected it to be more. Games have limitations, people's imaginations don't.

Around here there will be disappointment because some people are expecting an EvE like sandbox.

However the majority of the game's support is coming because its a space sim, not a mmo.

Roberts knows how to do space sims, so the game will probably sell well and be well received.

Its impact in the mmorpg market outside of EvE will be near zero.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I'm a Star Citizen kickstarter, because of Wing Commander nostalgia. 

However! The "One MMO to Rule Them All" argument is out-dated, IMO. We will never see a game which effectively captivates 100% of the market, effectively forcing all others to fail. It just doesn't happen like that. 

Similarly, the genre in and of itself is a niche. Space sims are very 90s. Honestly, when was the last time that you saw a massive space sim? There's a very good reason for that. That isn't to say that people won't play it. I sometimes yearn for the old Privateer days, myself. Does that mean that CR can capture that same magic so many years later? When there are so many compelling games? Difficult to say. 

Now, with $30+ Million in backing to this point, I'd say that he's making a case that people do want to see the game. Unfortunately that only makes the pressure to release something amazing that much higher. GTA V was recently announced as the game with the highest development cost ever, for console, and it was at $100 million. So as far as budgets go, Star Citizen is leaving that "indie" budget arena and heading into AAA territory, meaning that they will be held accountable, as they should be, for the quality of their product. Moreover, those who are actually backing the project will, and should, expect to see more frequent updates, better progress, etc. In the end, you go from a relaxed development into high-pressure territory where anything can, and will, happen. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Now, with $30+ Million in backing to this point, I'd say that he's making a case that people do want to see the game. Unfortunately that only makes the pressure to release something amazing that much higher. GTA V was recently announced as the game with the highest development cost ever, for console, and it was at $100 million. So as far as budgets go, Star Citizen is leaving that "indie" budget arena and heading into AAA territory, meaning that they will be held accountable, as they should be, for the quality of their product. Moreover, those who are actually backing the project will, and should, expect to see more frequent updates, better progress, etc. In the end, you go from a relaxed development into high-pressure territory where anything can, and will, happen. 

For reference, EQ2's budget was 25 million

Star Citizen should be judged as a AAA game.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Honestly, when was the last time that you saw a massive space sim?

I logged on to one on Sunday.  This type of game is already out there, and it's not hard to find.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Most people prefer to control a human and not a ship. For those who like controlling a ship i am sure it will be a great game.

Except in SC youre controlling human character, can get out of the ship, explore stations on feet, interact with other humans or NPCs, get into others ship as passenger, etc. Its not EVE

Can i explore planets of foot with my character?  Can i fly directly to them from space without loading screens?

I feel zero attachment to a ship if i cannot first feel attached to a character.

This is what i was thinking. I haven't really looked into the game yet, so i can't make judgements. I only know it's a spaceship game, but i;m not a fan of game where you're just a ship. feels a bit weird. would be intrested if:

1: i can play a character race, human , alien, what ever

2: from your starting world you progress, eventually leading up to where you can build your own ship. I mean mega customized, from shape of the ship to the small decals. So you can progress your character but also your ship

3: once you have that, you can move to many planets gathering resources and hunting stuff. could even have your own small planet with housing.

this is the kind of scf fi game i would be up for, would add a lot more but cant think of anything.

Ill take a look at it and wait for more info to come out :)

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Whatever else it is or will be, it is a welcome kick in the privates for the Big Publishers who believe they have had a virtual monopoly over making and financing games. It shows that serious money can be raised through crowdfunding.

For me that is very welcome news since I haven't liked many of the decisions or offerings of said large publishers lately and I have really disliked how they have, generaly, treated thier customers.  It demonstrates that crowdfunding CAN raise the type of money to produce serious games (though mostly not MMO's) ....and that's great because I like all sorts of games and the more variety we have to choose from the better.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I'm an early backer and I think this will be a succesful and good game but...  I will never claim it to be an MMO and I will refuse on calling it that.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It's just a poor mans version of Elite.
  • RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Most people prefer to control a human and not a ship. For those who like controlling a ship i am sure it will be a great game.
    Sounds great for me.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    It's just a poor mans version of Elite.

SC is not really Elite-like at all.

Chris Robert's sci-fi style has always been a lot more fiction-like than science-like. You can see it in Privateer 1 & 2 and Freelancer.

X-series is a hell of a lot more poor man's Elite than any of Chris Robert's game ever was (Chris Roberts like walk around stations and such, David Braben don't care much about that aspect - his is more in details in docking, planetary and spaceflight mechanics)