Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mages not being able to use plate?

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

SO DISREGARD THIS POST...

The information is just a rumor, a trolling attempt or whatever, i just got personal confirmation that this rumor is not even close to being true.  Which clearly shows to me that a lot of the negatives in another thread where nothing but trolling attempts. 

Pretty much what you should expect around the beta testing phase, and/or nearing the release of any new major MMO. Fans of other games, or those who otherwise want to see the MMO in question fail will start spreading misinformation and otherwise trying to make the game look as bad as they can. This includes making things up completely out of thin air if necessary. Many people will blatantly lie, without hesitation, if they think it'll turn people away from a game they don't like.

They're not difficult to spot in many (but not all) cases. Just pay attention to what other games those people are fans of. It's often typical to see the people trashing one game, to be cheerleading a different one.

For example, ESO seems to have brought a lot of Wildstar fans out of the woodwork, as I'm seeing a lot of references to that game as "being better" or whatever.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

The information is just a rumor, a trolling attempt or whatever, i just got personal confirmation that this rumor is not even close to being true.  Which clearly shows to me that a lot of the negatives in another thread where nothing but trolling attempts. 

Pretty much what you should expect around the beta testing phase, and/or nearing the release of any new major MMO. Fans of other games, or those who otherwise want to see the MMO in question fail will start spreading misinformation and otherwise trying to make the game look as bad as they can. This includes making things up completely out of thin air if necessary. Many people will blatantly lie, without hesitation, if they think it'll turn people away from a game they don't like.

They're not difficult to spot in many (but not all) cases. Just pay attention to what other games those people are fans of. It's often typical to see the people trashing one game, to be cheerleading a different one.

For example, ESO seems to have brought a lot of Wildstar fans out of the woodwork, as I'm seeing a lot of references to that game as "being better" or whatever.

Maybepeople that do so should be banned for life

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

It's no secret there are, and will always be, shills very good at their game. It's a little overboard to cite "proof of impropriety" as "really liking one thing, while really disliking another thing". By your reasoning, if we ever catch you really liking something, we should look to see if you've ever really disliked something, and once discerned, ban you forever... ?

Wait, what?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Mattatron

It's no secret there are, and will always be, shills very good at their game. It's a little overboard to cite "proof of impropriety" as "really liking one thing, while really disliking another thing". By your reasoning, if we ever catch you really liking something, we should look to see if you've ever really disliked something, and once discerned, ban you forever... ?

Wait, what?

No, he's saying that people who purposefully spread misinformation in order to diminish or otherwise harm the image of another game should be banned.

Like people who pretend to participate in a beta, then post outright lies about in game features (like mages not being able to wear plate in TESO - which is teh lie). There is no reason to lie in this case outside of trying to turn people away from the game or pure trolling. Either way, I'm not sure why we should want that type of person participating on any forums.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Name me an MMO wear mages CAN wear plate armor.

Its not only if mages can wear plate armor - can they get the mitigation and armor class as high as a tank who wears plate?

In some games yes - Rift 3.0 has a mage tank soul with mitigation, AC, and aggro equivalent to tank - there are raid videos where mage is the MT.

NDA.

But that doesn't seem to matter around here, so carry on.

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80

I'll save you some trouble: It doesn't matter if mages can wear plate or not because the game is a big steaming pile of B-grade garbage.

Originally posted by Rusque

Wait, what?

No, he's saying that people who purposefully spread misinformation in order to diminish or otherwise harm the image of another game should be banned.

Like people who pretend to participate in a beta, then post outright lies about in game features (like mages not being able to wear plate in TESO - which is teh lie). There is no reason to lie in this case outside of trying to turn people away from the game or pure trolling. Either way, I'm not sure why we should want that type of person participating on any forums.

Maybe that person, in addition to carelessly forsaking the NDA, never got to a point he could express otherwise. Then he's just "unknowing", and you're throwing "incapable" people on the witch's bonfire.

What am I saying? People don't care about that. All that matters is, "BURN THE WITCH!"

• SkavenapsSkavenaps Member UncommonPosts: 67

gosh, that shows:

a)You dont know anything about TES

and

b)You only played coockiecutter mmorpgs.

To name 2, UO and DDO.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus SO DISREGARD THIS POST... The information is just a rumor, a trolling attempt or whatever, i just got personal confirmation that this rumor is not even close to being true.  Which clearly shows to me that a lot of the negatives in another thread where nothing but trolling attempts. 

spot on and it's the sad truth. these forums are all about the my game vs your game mentality, it's retarded at best.

Its not only if mages can wear plate armor - can they get the mitigation and armor class as high as a tank who wears plate?

In some games yes - Rift 3.0 has a mage tank soul with mitigation, AC, and aggro equivalent to tank - there are raid videos where mage is the MT.

NDA.

But that doesn't seem to matter around here, so carry on.

Talking about Rift is not breaking NDA, so not sure what you are talking about.

I can answer the first question in your post, before you allude to Rift, but I'm not gonna, because of NDA. Better?

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

Come on mate, warmages/spellswords have grown to be the norm in RPGs, since D&D let them out in 2000. Yeah, you heard me. And MMOs? I can list five straight from the top of my mind; DDO, Darkfall, Guild Wars, Warhammer, Rift.

And as someone eles noted, Battlemages are a crucial part of TES-series.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Well, I looked through the thread and didn't see this link so here it is:

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2739/~/will-i-be-able-to-wear-a-heavy-armor-plate-mail-with-a-mages-hood-and-leather

of course a mage can wear plate. However, they have made it so that there are consequences for the  "choice" which makes sense.

Will I be able to wear a heavy armor plate mail with a mage's hood and leather boots, or will it all armor be one set?

Updated 10/07/2013 05:55 PM          Published 10/07/2013 05:55 PM

You will be able to mix and match as you see fit. We do have sets of armor and weapons that confer special bonuses to you when you wear three or more items from that set. Also, if you have gained passive skills in certain armor skill lines, you'll also get a larger bonus when you wear more armor of that type. And, of course, you may find an individual piece of armor with a bonus trait or enchantment you really like. There will be many choices about how you gear yourself in ESO, with no "right" choice for everyone.

edit: also:

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/kw/can%20a%20mage%20wear%20plate

Why shouldn't just anyone wear heavy armor? What advantages will a warrior have wearing light armor?

Updated 05/28/2013 05:22 PM          Published 03/11/2013 02:14 PM
    Each armor type has a full progression line associated with it. If you advance down the light armor progression line, you are likely to get bonuses to spells, magicka regeneration, and the like. Medium armor skill lines give you more bonuses to stamina activities such as dodge, sneak, etc. Heavy armor skill lines give bonuses to received healing, bracing, etc. And, of course, armor can have magical properties beyond this, and you may wish to mix and match as you see fit.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Skavenaps

gosh, that shows:

and

To name 2, UO and DDO.

Prior to the Eldrich Knight PRE mages couldn't wear heavy armor due to arcane failure and even with the Eldrich Knight that PRE is purely fluff/soloing since it is underwhealming at best.  So I would tack on DDO.

I've heard nothing of this change and really if your a sorc you are not going to be wearing heavy armor unless your soloing or tanking due to your magicka being gimped just like in all the ES games.  If your min/maxing then unless your planning on tanking then there is no reason to be in heavy armor since it does not provide hardly any offensive or magicka capabilities.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, I looked through the thread and didn't see this link so here it is:

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2739/~/will-i-be-able-to-wear-a-heavy-armor-plate-mail-with-a-mages-hood-and-leather

of course a mage can wear plate. However, they have made it so that there are consequences for the  "choice" which makes sense.

Will I be able to wear a heavy armor plate mail with a mage's hood and leather boots, or will it all armor be one set?

Updated 10/07/2013 05:55 PM          Published 10/07/2013 05:55 PM

You will be able to mix and match as you see fit. We do have sets of armor and weapons that confer special bonuses to you when you wear three or more items from that set. Also, if you have gained passive skills in certain armor skill lines, you'll also get a larger bonus when you wear more armor of that type. And, of course, you may find an individual piece of armor with a bonus trait or enchantment you really like. There will be many choices about how you gear yourself in ESO, with no "right" choice for everyone.

edit: also:

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/kw/can%20a%20mage%20wear%20plate

Why shouldn't just anyone wear heavy armor? What advantages will a warrior have wearing light armor?

Updated 05/28/2013 05:22 PM          Published 03/11/2013 02:14 PM
    Each armor type has a full progression line associated with it. If you advance down the light armor progression line, you are likely to get bonuses to spells, magicka regeneration, and the like. Medium armor skill lines give you more bonuses to stamina activities such as dodge, sneak, etc. Heavy armor skill lines give bonuses to received healing, bracing, etc. And, of course, armor can have magical properties beyond this, and you may wish to mix and match as you see fit.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware this point was already made public.

Yes, there are "skill lines" for types of armor, as in Skyrim. There are other aspects to the formula, too.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

No idea where that rumors is coming from, but being allowed to wear heavy armor and losing damage potential as a trade off for defense isn't the same thing as a spellcaster not being able to wear heavy armor at all. It's called balancing.

I've seen no hints of the current ESO setup being changed either. Who ever is spreading these rumors is just trying to give the game a bad reputation.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Skavenaps

gosh, that shows:

and

To name 2, UO and DDO.

Prior to the Eldrich Knight PRE mages couldn't wear heavy armor due to arcane failure and even with the Eldrich Knight that PRE is purely fluff/soloing since it is underwhealming at best.  So I would tack on DDO.

I've heard nothing of this change and really if your a sorc you are not going to be wearing heavy armor unless your soloing or tanking due to your magicka being gimped just like in all the ES games.  If your min/maxing then unless your planning on tanking then there is no reason to be in heavy armor since it does not provide hardly any offensive or magicka capabilities.

I do apologize for taking this thread off-topic, but I must bring light to matters as serious as this. I mean, it's D&D!

Now I have to bite, mister furbans. Before EK in DDO, there have been plenty of fighter/wizards or rogue/wizards meleeing all the way to the Red Dragon. You see, ELVES. Yeah, you heard me, those pointy-eared, tricksy beings. They had an enhancement called "elven arcane fluidity", what reduced spell failure for armour and could be taken four times, for a total of 25% spell failure reduction.

A fullplate has 35% arcane spell failure; 35% - 25% = 10%. Mithral = -10%. Or a better alternative, Twilight armor = -20%. There you have it, sir. An elven wizard who has medium armor prof. can wear a suit of full plate with 0 spell failure. I mean, COULD, well before this new Eldritch Knight addition, which is awesome, by the way.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Asheron's Call 1 AND Asheron's Call 2.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

If you did some research online you could probably answer your own questions without coming on these forums. And as for asking a Dev to respond to your question on here is just silly. You knew other posters would chime in and break NDA when you asked o.O

It has already been stated that any class can equip any armor type. How effective that will be or what the consequence will be for doing that has not been made public.

If you would have spent literally 10 seconds on google you could have gotten your answer.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2013/10/07/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-8

I think you are trying to stir the pot so to speak, but whatever.

Originally posted by jdnewell

If you did some research online you could probably answer your own questions without coming on these forums. And as for asking a Dev to respond to your question on here is just silly. You knew other posters would chime in and break NDA when you asked o.O

It has already been stated that any class can equip any armor type. How effective that will be or what the consequence will be for doing that has not been made public.

If you would have spent literally 10 seconds on google you could have gotten your answer.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2013/10/07/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-8

I think you are trying to stir the pot so to speak, but whatever.

I agree with this 100%.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

LOl. What's all this "NDA" shit about this question.  The details of armor being independent from class has been well known for a long time. 

If you bother to look at real, non-NDA-breaking ESO news sources, such as the Tamriel Foundry, instead of rumor mongering troll sites like this place or reddit you'd know:

Yes, any class can wear as many or as few pieces of each armor type as they wish. They have a system where you get passives based on number of pieces of armor worn of a particular type and also extra bonuses once you wear 5 or more pieces of a particular type.

The article I'm linking is a month old... noobs image

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2013/10/skill-overview-armor/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

LOl. What's all this "NDA" shit about this question.  The details of armor being independent from class has been well known for a long time. 

If you bother to look at real, non-NDA-breaking ESO news sources, such as the Tamriel Foundry, instead of rumor mongering troll sites like this place or reddit you'd know:

Yes, any class can wear as many or as few pieces of each armor type as they wish. They have a system where you get passives based on number of pieces of armor worn of a particular type and also extra bonuses once you wear 5 or more pieces of a particular type.

Yes that's been discussed. Thank you very much, sir or madam. Would you care for some tea with your "parrot victory"?

Yes that's been discussed. Thank you very much, sir or madam. Would you care for some tea with your "parrot victory"?

I must have missed the Tamriel factory article link in this thread... care to point me to it?

There you can also find class skills and weapon skills - None of that is NDA info... and has also been posted here if you bother to look beyond page 1.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73

lol they are worried cause the NDA police on this site are bad bad people

Originally posted by cheeseheads

lol they are worried cause the NDA police on this site are bad bad people

The mods here actually do a good job of policing obvious NDA violations... as they should. Thing is that a lot of the things people think are under NDA are known and have been known for a long time - at least the factual part is.

What is under NDA is our own subjective experience of how this actually plays in the game and explicit descriptions of details that have not been revealed. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

I think in Ultima Online you could

As my earlier post said, you most definitely could in UO. It usually occurs in more sandbox style games like Darkfall recently. There are also usually penalties for doing it as well. Mana regen, or slower casting speed etc.

In GW1 you could play as a plate wearer with spell casting, but you needed to be creative in ways to generate enough mana, or you could just use the auras.  Also in RaiderZ you could set yourself up as a mage in plate.  Pretty much any MMO with multi-classing allowed it with penalties, just like the Elder Scrolls and tabletop games always have.