Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: New Classes Revealed

1235»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I'll be curious to see if they implement EQ's Alternate Advancement system.  One of the better if not best progression systems in the genre.  I find it rather amazing that more companies haven't copied it.  Too much work, probably.

agree - I loved the EQ1 AA system,  nongear progression

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Maybe they should create a class called the Realistic Graphics Connoisseur.

This class has the ability to see the world in AAA Single Player  Realistic graphics but can't affect parts of the world or see it affected by others and when a certain onscreen player limit is reached they are whisked away to another instance of the world.

Then everyone will be happy!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Nadia

agree - I loved the EQ1 AA system,  nongear progression

I'm curious how it is different from the EQ2 AA + gear implementation. It's a bit OT, but I'm just trying to understand since I play EQ2 a lot, but have never played EQ at all.

in EQ1 - can earn all AA skills   (some gamers see that as a flaw)

there is no respec,  earn more AA and get the AA  skills you want

in EQ2 - can get many of the AA skill trees but nowhere close to all of the AA abilities

have the option to respec

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

i like the concept of the beast lord. I'm so fed of Rangers. Everytime the same Bow+Pet.

And that they use one of my favorite melee weapons(spear) is a nice bonus.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

The idea of AAs actually managed to ignite a spark in me where previously my excitement had dimmed down to cinders in the wake of discovering (belatedly) that despite the massive possibilities for combination of classes, characters are limited to eight abilities at a time, four of them tied to, ugh, the weapons.

But AA, that's a step forward.  I remind myself that I only had eight spell gems in '99, but I can never shake the thought of the huge spell book from which they were pulled.  So many options.  I think most of us agree now that a screen full of hotbars is too much, but eight?  Just eight?  Please at least do better than GW2 if you're going that route.

AA though.  AA feign death that doesn't use a spell slot?  AA crack?  AA pet buffs, aggro drops, mezzes, procs?  Now that sounds more like EQ.  Show me that stuff and you can give me eight spell slots (with AAs for a few more).

In any event, I think this kind of news is just a step above no news, not that I'm complaining.  Really, though, no one was seriously concerned about whether these staples were making it in, and no matter what anyone says I'll be very, very surprised if the first forty doesn't include the full complement of EQ1 classes and EQ2 archetypes.

Peace and safety.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by SBFord

EQNextFans.com has gotten hold of the latest PC Gamer magazine in which several EverQuest Next classes are revealed. Among them are the Beast Lord, Cleric, Necromancer and Tempest.

• Cleric: Wields either a two-handed hammer or a hammer and shield. Buffing and protecting allies is the typical clerical duty, but these magic men and women do it with the power of fire, which gives them some killing power too.
    • Necromancer: Wielding a tome or a dagger and focus object, the necromancer summons destructive chaotic energies and comes with a companion: a Monstrosity that grows in power with its master.
    • Beast Lord: If you're a fan of 'trampling' and 'savaging', the Beast Lord's furry friends make excellent companions. You can do your own savaging too, with a flail and shield combination, or a spear for medium range attacks.
    • Tempest: With two blades, or one two-handed blade, the Tempest dances across the battle field and unleashes power of winds and blasts of lightning. Out to appeal to fans of action RPGs.

Thanks to EQNextFans.com for ferreting that out for us!

What do you think of the newly announced classes? Let us know!

Exciting times indeed. Sounds as if they are doing a great job of plucking the FUN parts of classes and mixing them up. The tempest sounds as if taken a bit from the Guildwars 2 Elementalist profession attuned to air. Sounds fun. Curios to see how it plays.

Cleric healing with fire takes from Rift Cleric Purifier. Cleric was one of my fav classes in Rift and sounds to be good times here.

Beastlord.... Very cool. Can't wait to try this one out. Wonder if we will have to tame pets or just summon them.

Necro....wielding the power of death and apparently having a pet as well that ramps up in power with you. Maybe starting as a rambling skeleton and gaining all sorts of stuff from there.

I am actually quite pleased so see that we will be able to use two distinct styles in combat with each class. This combined with the ability to specialize your weapon components for different effects, and the ability to multi-class the abilities of other classes and gain higher tier unlocks within each class......color me impressed.

I am still holding my breath for the druid announcement. No EQ is complete without the tree hugging nature loving druid. Once that is announced I will be complete. :)

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I want AA like EQ1, but I want the AA to be fun, and not boring stuff like the latest expansions AA. 

Looking through Everquest 1's AA list the earlier ones that I actually earned in game back when I was playing it for 7 yrs were fun and exciting, but the new ones seem really dull and boring to me. I'm not even interested enough to play and earn them, even though they just gave us Veil of Alaris content for free. 

The AA should not be capped like on Everquest 2 , it really maxes you out and makes you feel like your character can no longer progress and grow. I hate being capped out on AA and stuck, on Everquest 1 I never finished AA, and I feel like I have something to earn . 

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

Yay, two handed capable cleric.

It really bothers me when healers are thrown into the pure healing role with very limited damage capacity.  I love to play battle clerics of old (D&D) where they can jump into the fray with chain armor and a two hander or shield and compete with the pure heavy warriors.  (Course, nothing beats a barbarian in strength!)

Though, hearing just 2 weapons pushes me away. I fear it will suffer the same problem Neverwinter/FFXIV does, where one class has one weapon and you're stuck with it the entire game.

I am so eager to play a modern version of a game with FFXI's class system or oldschool D&D; why are there none being made? :(

• WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Why can't someone make a necro class that can actually raise his minions from the corpses that he himself produces while fighting? They could maybe use a similar system to WoW's hunter pet system, but instead of taming many different kinds of beast you could raise corpses after you defeat a foe.
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Beastlord sounds fun!  The flail pushes it over the top. . I don't think I have ever seen that in an MMO :)

Everquest 1 - cleric's epic weapon 1.0 is a flail.

So pretty much this has been a part of EQ since 2000.

Same with Beastlords, that class was added in 2001.

Flails in EQ were not animated.  The chain was as stiff as the shaft of a mace.

This is incorrect, I just logged into everquest and equipped my epic 1.0 water sprinkler and the chain is not stiff at all.  While it's true that the ball doesn't swing in circles while attacking it definitely does move a great deal.  Swinging this way and that.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Well I usually go for the Necromancer, but with the flail and spear combo of the bestlord I may just look at that class.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • oakfootoakfoot Member UncommonPosts: 15

I have to agree with most of the negative comments here. It seems like Sony is trying us old worn out models of past classes to promote a better world.

Cleric's from EQ1 wore plate. that to me felt wrong and if you've ever actually  worn plate armor, its hard to move in let alone cast a spell in. Traditionally and historically the battle cleric has worn chain and /or leather and clothe. As for this healing fire thing, I could see it work if the healing fire was blue and the purging fire was red. 

I feel like game companies have attempted to create high-bread's so people will be more interested in playing there games while ignoring the true nature of a class. 

For example: When EQ1 came out with the first rogue the class was limited in so many ways that there was no reason to play the class. There ability to pick locks and steal got them nowhere and was a waste of time to skill up. Rogues are supposed to be highly skilled in thievery, dmg dealing, stealth, poison creation and application. There assassins and should of been given the abilities there class should be good at. Yet there's always something game makers leave out.

So enough of the BS about who's doing it better and why : what Sony needs to do is hire someone who has played there games and others like it for the last fifteen years to tell them where there blowing it so they can pull there heads out of a dark place and make classes people can enjoy.

• jeradljeradl Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Looks like they are dumbing it down and going generic mmo by limiting weapons and abilities along with cartoon graphics. Just look at the description, they are way way more limited than current gameplay in eq2 and this is supposed to be next? The new gen?