Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: New Classes Revealed

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    F2p makes me look foolish? No it makes YOU look like you have no clue as to what makes MMO a good MMO with all encompassing game play.

There is not one f2p game that has gone on from strength to strength.

All games that have gone f2p have seen an initial rise then a steep steady decline in content and population.

Lotro, rift being two of the big games. With the latest helms deep expac being nothing but a story addon.

Only sub based games are still going strong with good raiding/dungeon content. Ie EQ and WoW.

You people just don't realise that your expectation of this game will be shattered beyond the fantasising dreams you have had once you realise how skimpy in content this game will become.

That certainly makes you look dumb, since EQ is F2P. As is EQ2, which also has good raiding and dungeon content.  Maybe you should base your expectations on the company making it, rather than the adopted payment model.  

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Reads the article, searching for a Cleric class - finds Cleric class with one handed wep and shield - sorted.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I fell for the BeastLord idea in EQ2 and never again,they did a crap job of creating a fun class.When learn from FFXI how to make a Beastmaster class, i might come looking.

Others are old classes nothing new  or creative,Tempest might be a new name but sounds like a dual weilding mage and nothing more.

Does SOE even know what the term Necromancer means?WHat the heck does a Necromancer have tchaotic energies.A Necro should be out to convert the good into undead minions.

A Tempest should be an AOE storm brewer,after all a storm wouldn't hit  just one person.The benefit would extremely powerful AOE but very long casting times and easily interrupted if melee attacked.

Where is the logic in having a Cleric use Fire,is this their sloppy attempt at rehashing old names but trying to make them seem different even if their ideas make no sense?Cleric's heal and banish the undead...see FFXI for the know how to make a healer class.

When i see this stuff it reminds me of how little creativity SOE has under their roof,it seems like the same old they have always been turning out,time they put some new blood in charge.

"He will cleanse the earth. When Jesus comes again, He will come in power and great glory. At that time the wicked will be destroyed. All things that are corrupt will be burned, and the earth will be cleansed by fire"

Um... What the hell does the Catholic/Christian God have to do with cleric class... You've lost me.

Reading comprehension a lost science

sounds awesome, beastlord and flair, and my fav class, the cleric are sounding good.

few thoughts:

get over the fact that this game is ftp but has founder kits, you dont like it, dont buy it, we value your opinion but thats just what it is, an opinion, often uninformed, and full of emotion.

SOE pretty much solidified the classes in mmorpgs, dont forget that, so when i see someone say SOE doesnt know what a necro is i have to laugh.

as for clerics and fire, there is actually a relationship that goes back  a thousand years, so to see it in a game, sweet, but the real interesting thing imho,is to see the ignorance of the playerbase, and lack of comprehension on these boards.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

call back when they actually reveal classes with some abilities and playstyle.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    F2p makes me look foolish? No it makes YOU look like you have no clue as to what makes MMO a good MMO with all encompassing game play.

There is not one f2p game that has gone on from strength to strength.

All games that have gone f2p have seen an initial rise then a steep steady decline in content and population.

Lotro, rift being two of the big games. With the latest helms deep expac being nothing but a story addon.

Only sub based games are still going strong with good raiding/dungeon content. Ie EQ and WoW.

You people just don't realise that your expectation of this game will be shattered beyond the fantasising dreams you have had once you realise how skimpy in content this game will become.

Um, EQ IS a f2p game.  Games that you can still play for free but have the option to pay a subscription are still considered f2p and no subscription games.

You just ruined your own argument.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Tiller
    Originally posted by Mawnee
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    Why the hell did I not get my PC gamer mag yet...

yea WTF ...*goes to check the mail*

idk...people still read paper mags? xD

Next thing we'll hear is that you still need to pay for music! Rediculous I know!

I still have to stay I'm the most hyped on the 'Adventurer class' that we've heard some tidbits about! I hope it's a viable main jack of all trades sort of class!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Gah, another awesome sounding class "Flail and shield or Spear for medium ranged damage" reduced to BLAH with stupid pets... I hate pet classes.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Gah, another awesome sounding class "Flail and shield or Spear for medium ranged damage" reduced to BLAH with stupid pets... I hate pet classes.

Did you actually know anything about EQ1 Beastlords, not the crappy EQ2 remake?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

you may dislike them

but Beastlords have been part of Everquest ever since Luclin in 2001  (3 years before WOW)

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Same old, same old.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    How the heck can they classify this game as a sandbox if they have classes?  Right, they cannot.  Classes and the term sandbox are exact opposites, they do not belong in the same sentence.  Leave it to SOE to abuse the term when even they know they are creating just another themepark MMO.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    How the heck can they classify this game as a sandbox if they have classes?  Right, they cannot.  Classes and the term sandbox are exact opposites, they do not belong in the same sentence.  Leave it to SOE to abuse the term when even they know they are creating just another themepark MMO.

What makes classes and sandboxes mutually exclusive?

Originally posted by evilastro

Read the descriptions, they are limiting all the classes to use only certain items.  How absurd, in a sandbox you can equip your avatar any way you like, it might bork your character, but a sandbox is what it is, the ability to pretty much do as you like, classes just place huge restrictions on that.  Just not what a sandbox is.

Name one sandbox game that has classes.  You can't, because there are not any.

The next person that tries to call this game a sandbox should be laughed out of the forum.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I can argue that because a single character can master every single class (barring alignment) you can build your character in whatever way you want. Classes are a way of specializing for a specific role at a particular time.

What I would like to see though, is an intense crafting skill tree/classes that can also be mastered by a single character.

Originally posted by Aison2

call back when they actually reveal classes with some abilities and playstyle.

I agree w you image    although I haven't seen the PC mag article

Originally posted by Lyrian

I can argue that because a single character can master every single class (barring alignment) you can build your character in whatever way you want. Classes are a way of specializing for a specific role at a particular time.

What I would like to see though, is an intense crafting skill tree/classes that can also be mastered by a single character.

Makes no difference, if I am playing a mage class atm, I am straight jacked into using mage equipment.  You have to select which class you are presently playing, so the game is still a themepark, the only thing that separates it from the normal themepark, is you don't have to have a alt to try another class.  The game still plays like a themepark.

This game will be a nightmare for bag space if you have to run around with multiclass equipment.

if I am playing a mage class atm, I am straight jacked into using mage equipment.

we dont know what "class equipment" is yet or how it functions

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by killahh
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I fell for the BeastLord idea in EQ2 and never again,they did a crap job of creating a fun class.When learn from FFXI how to make a Beastmaster class, i might come looking.

Others are old classes nothing new  or creative,Tempest might be a new name but sounds like a dual weilding mage and nothing more.

Does SOE even know what the term Necromancer means?WHat the heck does a Necromancer have tchaotic energies.A Necro should be out to convert the good into undead minions.

A Tempest should be an AOE storm brewer,after all a storm wouldn't hit  just one person.The benefit would extremely powerful AOE but very long casting times and easily interrupted if melee attacked.

Where is the logic in having a Cleric use Fire,is this their sloppy attempt at rehashing old names but trying to make them seem different even if their ideas make no sense?Cleric's heal and banish the undead...see FFXI for the know how to make a healer class.

When i see this stuff it reminds me of how little creativity SOE has under their roof,it seems like the same old they have always been turning out,time they put some new blood in charge.

"He will cleanse the earth. When Jesus comes again, He will come in power and great glory. At that time the wicked will be destroyed. All things that are corrupt will be burned, and the earth will be cleansed by fire"

Um... What the hell does the Catholic/Christian God have to do with cleric class... You've lost me.

Reading comprehension a lost science

sounds awesome, beastlord and flair, and my fav class, the cleric are sounding good.

few thoughts:

get over the fact that this game is ftp but has founder kits, you dont like it, dont buy it, we value your opinion but thats just what it is, an opinion, often uninformed, and full of emotion.

SOE pretty much solidified the classes in mmorpgs, dont forget that, so when i see someone say SOE doesnt know what a necro is i have to laugh.

as for clerics and fire, there is actually a relationship that goes back  a thousand years, so to see it in a game, sweet, but the real interesting thing imho,is to see the ignorance of the playerbase, and lack of comprehension on these boards.

I don't blame him though. The metaphor flew right over his head. I blame public schools  =)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I'm pretty sure Smed was talking about EQNL when he said worlds biggest sandbox

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

beyond the metaphor,

EQ was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons

NPCs like Lucan and Mayong came from a D&D campaign

EverQuest Inspired By D&D Campaign
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=17392

in D&D, Clerics wear plate and haves access to Divine Flame damage spells

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by Ozmodan How the heck can they classify this game as a sandbox if they have classes?  Right, they cannot.  Classes and the term sandbox are exact opposites, they do not belong in the same sentence.  Leave it to SOE to abuse the term when even they know they are creating just another themepark MMO.
    Read the descriptions, they are limiting all the classes to use only certain items.  How absurd, in a sandbox you can equip your avatar any way you like, it might bork your character, but a sandbox is what it is, the ability to pretty much do as you like, classes just place huge restrictions on that.  Just not what a sandbox is.

Name one sandbox game that has classes.  You can't, because there are not any.

The next person that tries to call this game a sandbox should be laughed out of the forum.

In Elder Scrolls Online any class and equip any type of weapon and any type of armor.

So, is Elder Scrolls Online a sandbox MMO?

Applying such narrow definitions to MMOs is ridiculous and ensures disappointment.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Lyrian

Makes no difference, if I am playing a mage class atm, I am straight jacked into using mage equipment.  You have to select which class you are presently playing, so the game is still a themepark, the only thing that separates it from the normal themepark, is you don't have to have a alt to try another class.  The game still plays like a themepark.

This game will be a nightmare for bag space if you have to run around with multiclass equipment.

Your attempts to define what a sandbox is or isn't undermine the point you are trying to make. 

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Pet classes are a lot like fezzes and bowties.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'll be curious to see if they implement EQ's Alternate Advancement system.  One of the better if not best progression systems in the genre.  I find it rather amazing that more companies haven't copied it.  Too much work, probably.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Beastlord sounds fun!  The flail pushes it over the top. . I don't think I have ever seen that in an MMO :)

Everquest 1 - cleric's epic weapon 1.0 is a flail.

So pretty much this has been a part of EQ since 2000.

Same with Beastlords, that class was added in 2001.

Flails in EQ were not animated.  The chain was as stiff as the shaft of a mace.