Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casual or Hardcore? [Poll]

2»

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I think we have a culture now that fits the right age group, can socialize with that older group of players that broke ground, yet they are not really versed in gaming expectations, I think its that group that allows very poorly designed games to stay afloat. It's a group of self proclaimed hardcores that want to fit in, have done the research, but just don't have the old school expectations only gathered through years of experience.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Joker1977
    I am a bit disappointed with how many people failed to understand that the poll isn't real, but merely a statement I made related to the original post.I thought it was obvious. I mean, I literally only supplied 2 choices. One being "Both" which encompassed all options except the second, which is "There is no Spoon."While I realize some people online (especially if they're new) can be pretty stupid, I am a bit amazed at how stupid people think others actually are. I mean, seriously? You really thought that my poll was meant to be unbiased and collect actual information? Even if I appear to you as a stupid individual, it is disappointing at how little faith in human intelligence you have, lol. Of course, it isn't surprising since I see posts all the time which are so biased that they paint casuals as some sort of fae-like sissy and hardcores as a Captain America like superhero. Still, I'm pretty sure people did not even read the OP or try to comprehend the subject when posting "This poll sucks!" As anyone who read the OP would realize the poll isn't meant to be biased. It's meant to be fake.The Poll was designed to get you to think about how stupid labels and stereotypes are, by forcing you into only being able to choose a vague answer which encompasses both casual and hardcore. Because they aren't exclusive to one another. Even if you think so with all your heart, anyone could show you otherwise with a simple rational argument. Unless your definition of casual or hardcore encompasses a reality which supercedes the human psyche, into the realm of delusion. (Such as literally believing that casuals are some sort of millenial-entitled baby-adult welfare recipient who needs to [literally] be spoon fed accomplishments.)
    Why even have a poll then?

Your "joke" (I use the word loosely) fell flat. Don't blame the audience, blame the delivery method.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GoldFire33GoldFire33 Member Posts: 9
    I think it can also be argued that there is no such thing as a hardcore or casual game. It all depends on how one plays and perceives a game. WoW or CoD are often referred to as hardcore, while games like Farmville or Tetris are often referred to as casual. But I argue that there is no such designation, and it is just a fact that the majority of players play them in this way, but there are those out there that don't.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

When it comes to being casual I can be pretty hardcore. I'll often play less than 1 hour a week. Other players think they're casual because they spend around 4-5 hours gaming a week, but those pussies aren't real casuals like me. I've clocked up less than 3 hours in MMOs since March. I'm so old school I'm pre-school. Back in my day, a sandbox was just a box with sand in it. You could play for hours and have nothing to show for it but an empty bucket, a wet patch and a stern look from mummy. Those were the days. 

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I'm pretty self-consistent, but not like either stereotype of hardcore or casual. I like to be able to pour a lot of time into a game - 5+ hours on some days. I hate permadeath and death penalties, but I don't mind dying 20 times in a row to figure out a puzzle if there aren't any penalties. I like to collect crap and show off my extensive collection, and I'll put a lot of planning and time into breeding pets or mounts and building buildings and in-game art if that's possible, and more time and effort into completing all quests and conquering all dungeons. I like to solo difficult challenges intended for more people, especially if I get an achievement for doing so. But I see no point in PvP and get bored of it really quickly.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

5) Hardcore players want to "win." At any cost.

Casual players, in my opinion, are the ones who look for fun in the games they play. Some hardcore players may find knowing all the minutiae workings of a game fun, but in reality that all leads to one thing: winning.

My experience stereotyping from these and other forums since I've never heard the terms hardcore and casual gamer anywhere offline:

- Yes, many hardcores want to win at any cost. 

- Many casuals also want to win at any cost but they want it to be easier to win. (a casual is often just a hardcore with less time to devote to one game).

Personally I like what someone said above about Dwarf Fortress. I try to be a patient gamer. I like a game that is both fun to play and throws a brick wall in my face and challenges me to get past it. I don't care how long it takes me to succeed (longer is actually better) and I really could care less about loot or looking cool or being better than someone else. 

That doesn't seem to fit perfectly in either mind set so I'm not sure what it "makes" me, "masochistic" gamer?:)

In any case I kind of wish the whole "casual vs. hardcore" thing would just die. It just seems to be a thing for people to divide themselves into meaningless groups and argue. At the end of the day we're all gamers.