Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Battles are like skirmishes...except you are a bystander

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I realize it's hard to make a single person matter in a large battle, but somehow FPSes manage to do it.

I mostly like the skirmish system, but the big battles remind me of the one I don't like, the one in the Lonelands where you have to help a ranger. Instead of fighting, you have to constantly keep the 5 bonfires lit, while the ranger does all the fighting (except at the end boss fight, he dies if you don't help)

I think maybe they could have just added a dozen or so HD related skirmishes. At least those would be more bearable to play over and over.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I realize it's hard to make a single person matter in a large battle, but somehow FPSes manage to do it.

I mostly like the skirmish system, but the big battles remind me of the one I don't like, the one in the Lonelands where you have to help a ranger. Instead of fighting, you have to constantly keep the 5 bonfires lit, while the ranger does all the fighting (except at the end boss fight, he dies if you don't help)

I think maybe they could have just added a dozen or so HD related skirmishes. At least those would be more bearable to play over and over.

Unfortunately I agree with you, the feature is one huge letdown and doesnt feel very epic at all, which leaves HD endgame with a boring version of skirmishes and rerunning all the scaled instances and there is no cluster coming anytime soon accordin to Sapience. 

I am on the fence whether to continue playing or to put the game on ice for a while.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The problem with this game is they went with the lord of the rings story from middle earth, which makes everyone a bystander in the greater scheme of things. It should have been called Middle Earth online, but i guess the title "lord of the rings", is a better cash grab,
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The problem with this game is they went with the lord of the rings story from middle earth, which makes everyone a bystander in the greater scheme of things. It should have been called Middle Earth online, but i guess the title "lord of the rings", is a better cash grab,

Actually if you read the stories and play part of them, you dont feel like a bystander, but like the true hero of middle earth.  It gives you the feeling that withouth you, the fellowship would have utterly failed.

Most people just love the stories, and dont care much about endgame, its becom the biggest altoholic game of them all.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• d33daved33dave Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Most people that are left just love the stories, and dont care much about endgame, its becom the biggest altoholic game of them all.

fixed your quote. ppl are leaving this game in droves and i so wish i could get my money back. 

this expansion is so flawed in so many ways.

the most awesome thing this game has left, is the lack of self respect the turbine employees have. if i worked there and had to sign off on HD being released as it is i'd have quit by dousing my work station with lighter fluid and setting it on fire.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Actually even if they make it Middle Earth Online there will still the problems.

The problem is with the background of the story (the Third Age) - the good guys don't fight each other anymore during the Third Age, which makes it hard for the players to participate in something that matters but in a smaller scale.

If it was Simarillion Online (based on The First Age or the Second Age, where the elves were still fickled and humans are still divided between different clans and allegiance to different elven lords, it would've made a much better setting for an mmo.

Problem is though of course not many people read The Simarillion in comparison to the amount of people that knows LOTR.

• IMBanksIMBanks Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Actually even if they make it Middle Earth Online there will still the problems.

The problem is with the background of the story (the Third Age) - the good guys don't fight each other anymore during the Third Age, which makes it hard for the players to participate in something that matters but in a smaller scale.

If it was Simarillion Online (based on The First Age or the Second Age, where the elves were still fickled and humans are still divided between different clans and allegiance to different elven lords, it would've made a much better setting for an mmo.

Problem is though of course not many people read The Simarillion in comparison to the amount of people that knows LOTR.

Problem with that is also that Middle Earth Enterprises, who gave a license to Turbine for the game, doesn't own any rights to anything other than Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.  And Turbine only has a license for LOTR (not even The Hobbit).  Christopher Tolkien owns the rights to all other books, including the Simarillion, and he has made it clear that he would license online game rights to those works over his dead body.