Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waiting for a realistic looking, open world fantasy RPG with a harsh death penalty.

cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207

Here is my plea,

I bought Guild Wars 2 on the strength of the first one and the company's seeming ability to innovate.  I managed to get one character to level 14 and haven't touched it since.  It was way too easy and all the story cut scenes made me feel like I was just reading a children's book.  Everything is served up to you, it felt brainless.  I bought the collector's edition for $80 and basically I got very little for my money (since I didn't like it, just my opinion).

Since the days of EQ1 and Anarchy Online the only interesting RPGs to come out, for me, have been Eve Online and Darkfall.  I am not that much into PvP mind you, but those two games were definitely difficult and quite immersive.  Darkfall doesn't have the budget to really shine and Eve is set in space (although I will go back to it, I am sure).  EQ Next looked promising, but then the cartoon graphics came out and there goes my immersion.  Back in cartoon-land reading children's books. 

I am a 40 year-old gamer with a lot of disposable income.  A cash cow waiting and willing to be milked!  All I am looking for is a fantasy based, realistic looking, probably somewhat sandboxy game that is difficult.  I don't want any instances, or very few at least.    I want death to sting, losing experience and/or corpse runs are fine in my book.  I want to have to actually socialize to find groups and guilds.  I want the world to feel huge, no instant travel (or just make it quite expensive and rare to do so).  

Hell, at this point just re-skin EQ1 and resell it to me.  This seems ridiculous that no one has created a game like this in the last ten years.  If there is not a market for it fine, but I read a lot of posts similar to this one so I doubt that.  Put a cash shop in with convenience items and you could get $100 a month from me.  This has to be doable, I should be playing something similar to a digital version of pen and paper D&D by now with thousands of people in an open world.  Wallet is closed for now though, lost a lot of hope for the genre's ability to produce something along these lines.

So ends my plea and thank you for reading my rant!

Chris

Comments

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    There is only 1 MMO that fits this description and that is Wizardry Online. It is the only MMORPG out right now with a Perma-Death system.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

I have often wondered why they couldn't take games like UO and SWG and just update the graphics and improve them.

Instead, it seems like a race to the bottom.  I had the same experience as you with GW2.  Too easy and simple and it was basically a single player game with DPS zerg "events."

I wouldn't write off EQNext just yet.  However the slayer of SWG is behind that game.  We shall see if redemption is possible...

But the demographics of the game customer market does seem to place those who want difficulty or challenge in the minority. I think there is a solid niche, but right now only Kickstarter Indies (e.g. Embers of Caurus, Trials of Ascension) are trying to scratch that itch. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The more boxes you want checked, the less likely it is that any particular game will check them all for you.  Especially when you want things at odds with each other:  an open world without instancing puts considerable restraints on what you can do graphically.

Also, isn't there something slightly absurd about wanting a realistic-looking fantasy game?

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The more boxes you want checked, the less likely it is that any particular game will check them all for you.  Especially when you want things at odds with each other:  an open world without instancing puts considerable restraints on what you can do graphically.

Don't think he's asking for Star Citizen 4k graphics for a Fantasy MMO here . . . just better than cartoons. And cartoons still use plenty of polygons. Those same polygon counts could be transformed into realistic graphics with ease and not require instancing.

There's nothing holding this back from happening other than publishers who are still stuck on treating the entire MMO community like preteens. That's what it comes down to, not hardware limitations.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Also, isn't there something slightly absurd about wanting a realistic-looking fantasy game?

Isn't there something slightly absurd about every game being a "My Little Pony" graphical adventure for little girls? Last time I checked, most of the people who play MMORPG's have penises. And most of those penises are over the age of 12. Is it ok if the grownups have a game to play as well? Or do we always have to live in the world of Spongebob Wowpants to make sure everything is rated G for our kids?

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by cmorris975

I am a 40 year-old gamer with a lot of disposable income.  A cash cow waiting and willing to be milked!  All I am looking for is a fantasy based, realistic looking, probably somewhat sandboxy game that is difficult.  I don't want any instances, or very few at least.    I want death to sting, losing experience and/or corpse runs are fine in my book.  I want to have to actually socialize to find groups and guilds.  I want the world to feel huge, no instant travel (or just make it quite expensive and rare to do so).   

My udders yearn for this also. They are heavy with the milk of money, rancid for want of squirting. Sadly, you must learn to accept that this you game you dream of may never be released. Embrace mediocrity. Your teats will thank you for it. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Gloria Victis and for your mobile enjoyment: Albion Online.