Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you prefer to pay?

How do you prefer to pay for your online games?

Monthly subs? One time payments?  FTP and Cosmetic Microtransactions (Not Pay To Win)? Some other method (Please specifiy)

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Though I'm not a big fan of subs, I don't let payment model get in the way of having fun.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    New games should offer a free 7-10 day trial and if you like you buy the box and pay a sub.  If not, f2p. I'm tired of paying $50-60 for games that are not worth the money.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I haven't paid a sub since Earth and Beyond.  Not that I wouldn't .  But the game would have to be pretty damn good.

Other than that,  I will pay in whatever manner it takes to play the games I want to play.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    New games should offer a free 7-10 day trial and if you like you buy the box and pay a sub.  If not, f2p. I'm tired of paying $50-60 for games that are not worth the money.

People do that all the time with spg, but doesn't seem to be a problem until it is a mmorpg. I do agree that a short trial would be nice before dropping cash for box, but doubt too many AAA companies would do that and limit their initial cash intake. I prefer a sub, as if game is compelling/good it would keep people from jumping around like they do with ftp games. Better for community and number of regular players overall. It's just too bad so many mediocre to bad games get released. I wait for reviews and let a couple weeks pass to get a better idea of if it's my kind of game, as well as fixing bugs, before I buy nowadays. AoC was last game I played from day one, as they lied about content and what worked, etc. Too many games are not finished for release, so I wait.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I prefer a sub. Having played MMO's since 1999, and also f2P games in there, Subbing to a game ensures you get what you are paying for from the developer. All these restrictions I hate having, so I just pay. I also think that games that are pretty much sub only have a higher quality than games that don't. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by ropenice

People do that all the time with spg, but doesn't seem to be a problem until it is a mmorpg. I do agree that a short trial would be nice before dropping cash for box, but doubt too many AAA companies would do that and limit their initial cash intake. I prefer a sub, as if game is compelling/good it would keep people from jumping around like they do with ftp games. Better for community and number of regular players overall. It's just too bad so many mediocre to bad games get released. I wait for reviews and let a couple weeks pass to get a better idea of if it's my kind of game, as well as fixing bugs, before I buy nowadays. AoC was last game I played from day one, as they lied about content and what worked, etc. Too many games are not finished for release, so I wait.

Here we go again.

You have absolutely no evidence to prove any of that yet you state it as if it was fact.

I call shenanigans.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

I suppose my favorite model would be buy-to-play. I really don't like paying a sub fee, as it brings with it the feeling of needing to play the game. If I miss a day or two of play, I feel really guilty for wasting money. I also like free to play with a lot of interesting costumes for real money. Not gear with stats or anything, just really cool looking outfits for your character. TERA's FTP model is really good at being fair, pretty much just offering tons of cosmetics at reasonable (in my opinion) prices.

Though if a game is buy-to-play, I would like a trial as well. Even if it is just a 24-hour trial.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I won't play anything without a trial anymore, I've played too many games that weren't even worth the time to download them. Developers have to earn my money and if they're not willing to provide a trial, I pass.  After that, depending on the game, I have no problem with any of the various models, assuming the game is really excellent, which virtually none of them actually are.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

B2P.

Subs only seem  worth it to me when I feel like playing WOW.

F2P models are horrible imo.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I prefer the tiered system: Free to play, plus premium monthly with perks.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Stupersting
    How do you prefer to pay for your online games?Monthly subs? One time payments?  FTP and Cosmetic Microtransactions (Not Pay To Win)? Some other method (Please specifiy)

One time payments these days. eg. $50 to unlock all dungeons for lifetime. (age of conan)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Atlys

I suppose my favorite model would be buy-to-play. I really don't like paying a sub fee, as it brings with it the feeling of needing to play the game. If I miss a day or two of play, I feel really guilty for wasting money. I also like free to play with a lot of interesting costumes for real money. Not gear with stats or anything, just really cool looking outfits for your character. TERA's FTP model is really good at being fair, pretty much just offering tons of cosmetics at reasonable (in my opinion) prices.

Though if a game is buy-to-play, I would like a trial as well. Even if it is just a 24-hour trial.

Feel guilt over waisted money? Seriously...like 15 bucks a month. That comes down to 50cents a day or less. You feel guilty for maybe loosing a dollar once a month? Think of all the other ways money is wasted. I think a sub for a game is by far the cheapest entertainment value there is.

I am really fine with either.  Buy to play, like GW is good. Paying a monthly sub is fine by me too. As I stated, for the hours of entertainment for the price of a monthly sub, is fairly cheap. And P2P keeps everybody on level playing ground. 

But with the current state of most MMOs  just being the flavor of the month...none as of yet have encouraged me to P2P.  Not since UO n SWG.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I get my money once every month. I like to take care of things then, instead of having to dole out all throughout the month. I prefer subs. Pay and be done with it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

I play one MMORPG at a time and will commit my gaming time to it fully.

The #1 prerequisite I have is that it be subscription.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    I don't let payment model get in the way of having fun.

The same here. If I feel the value is there for the type of payment they're asking, I'll pay it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Sub or B2P. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    At first I liked the idea of FTP but then I realized that I spent too much of my game time worrying about money and the restrictions so now I like either subs or BTP.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Monthly sub and expansion payments = no pay to win and no gambling.

I do think the subs could have come down though, the industry seemed to go from £10 a month to F2P. Lower subs did not even get tried out.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

B2P or free + monthly sub + bigger expansions + without cash shop or other monetary options i.e. premium

..... the more traditional but better way of mmo gaming with a strong and quality community and not just F2P game hopper who dont care about longevity.

Without any ripp off tricks, gambling shit, ridicolous content locks which starts already with bank/backpackspace or with a limited use of the auction house in some games, not a game just centered around a cash shop machine.

In other words, paying for the whole cake and not just the option to buy a part of it.

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

I will gladly pay a monthly fee if the customer service is concise and the gameplay is enriching.

Blizzard is my favorite company to work with. I sadly only played WoW for four hours this past month I payed for, so I'll probably finally do the big uninstall.

When it comes to F2P I don't mind if the cash shop sells cosmetics or temporary pve boosters, but when people can't have the best gear/gems/stats because the cash shop is the only way to get them that's disheartening. 

I've payed for a few months of Freerealms, and it's unfortunate they kind of walk you into subbing because there is "member only" content and level limitations. However I find the casual mini game setup perfect for my lifestyle and since I don't socialize with the community I don't mind paying the sub now and then.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    I'd rather pay a sub on a game I like.  But I don't mind a decent F2P model (Rift's suits me).  
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Here we go again.

You have absolutely no evidence to prove any of that yet you state it as if it was fact.

I call shenanigans.

You really don't think people that choose to play f2p games aren't more likely to either a) play more than one f2p game therefore splitting their time or b) more likely to want to try any new f2p game that comes on market, than someone who commits to 3 mo or more sub plans. What evidence do you need except common sense?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Sub, with only cosmetic cash shop, if they must have a shop.  Like to know what I am paying, and their not being an advantage that can be bought of any sort.  I have work, home, wife etc...  So I cannot live on a game, and I realize many will have more time to play than me, but that is fine.

If it isn't worth a sub, I probably am not playing it anyway.  I cannot get into game hopping, it isn't enjoyable to me.  If I want a short thrill, I will play LoL or something else.  MMOs are my favorite type of games, so sucks to not have any atm I consider worth me spending my time playing.

I could get with free to play games if they had some kind of cap, or a sub you could buy on the side that basically made it a sub game and negated the cash shop...I just find cash shops in mmos a little disturbing to the balance.  I am trying to be more receptive to it, but its a slow process, and yes I know a lot of older mmos started the trend (didn't like them then either).

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Here we go again.

I call shenanigans.

I haven't met a single f2p player that does not jump from MMO to MMO.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;