Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: New Classes Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EQNextFans.com has gotten hold of the latest PC Gamer magazine in which several EverQuest Next classes are revealed. Among them are the Beast Lord, Cleric, Necromancer and Tempest.

• Cleric: Wields either a two-handed hammer or a hammer and shield. Buffing and protecting allies is the typical clerical duty, but these magic men and women do it with the power of fire, which gives them some killing power too.

• Necromancer: Wielding a tome or a dagger and focus object, the necromancer summons destructive chaotic energies and comes with a companion: a Monstrosity that grows in power with its master.

• Beast Lord: If you're a fan of 'trampling' and 'savaging', the Beast Lord's furry friends make excellent companions. You can do your own savaging too, with a flail and shield combination, or a spear for medium range attacks.

• Tempest: With two blades, or one two-handed blade, the Tempest dances across the battle field and unleashes power of winds and blasts of lightning. Out to appeal to fans of action RPGs.

Thanks to EQNextFans.com for ferreting that out for us!

What do you think of the newly announced classes? Let us know!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Tempest sounds good. Hopefully I can mix a little of that with some Paly skills.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Beastlord sounds fun!  The flail pushes it over the top. . I don't think I have ever seen that in an MMO :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139
    aww I love beast lord
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Not to be a naysayer as I am actually looking forward to this game, but isn't that just a fancy way of describing most of the typical classes we see in MMOs today?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    BEAST LORD. Thank you.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Why the hell did I not get my PC gamer mag yet...
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    Why the hell did I not get my PC gamer mag yet...

yea WTF ...*goes to check the mail*

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I fell for the BeastLord idea in EQ2 and never again,they did a crap job of creating a fun class.When learn from FFXI how to make a Beastmaster class, i might come looking.

Others are old classes nothing new  or creative,Tempest might be a new name but sounds like a dual weilding mage and nothing more.

Does SOE even know what the term Necromancer means?WHat the heck does a Necromancer have tchaotic energies.A Necro should be out to convert the good into undead minions.

A Tempest should be an AOE storm brewer,after all a storm wouldn't hit  just one person.The benefit would extremely powerful AOE but very long casting times and easily interrupted if melee attacked.

Where is the logic in having a Cleric use Fire,is this their sloppy attempt at rehashing old names but trying to make them seem different even if their ideas make no sense?Cleric's heal and banish the undead...see FFXI for the know how to make a healer class.

When i see this stuff it reminds me of how little creativity SOE has under their roof,it seems like the same old they have always been turning out,time they put some new blood in charge.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SBFord
    Tempest: With two blades, or one two-handed blade, the Tempest dances across the battle field and unleashes power of winds and blasts of lightning. Out to appeal to fans of action RPGs.

Hmm i wonder. Part of the Rogue family or the Warrior family?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Are classes in EQN weapon locked to just 2 weapon choices? ie Beast Master gets only spear, or fail and shield. That's sad news as its once again a removal of choices. In some cases like clerics using only bludgeoning weapons I could kinda see it but for all classes it doesn't really make sense and smacks of laziness on the developers part. 9I didn't like it in Neverwinter and I don'tthink I'll like it in EQN either. Seriously a Necro can't even use a staff???!!!!)
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Does SOE even know what the term Necromancer means?WHat the heck does a Necromancer have tchaotic energies.A Necro should be out to convert the good into undead minions.

Totally agree. Making the Necromancer just a dark mage with a companion is pretty lame.

I think Guild Wars 1 and the Diablo series really got the Necromancer right (from a high level perspective). Necromancers should be about hoards of undead.

"Wielding" a tome is pretty darn lame too. At least give them a staff weapon that absorbs enemy souls or something...

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Beastlord sounds fun!  The flail pushes it over the top. . I don't think I have ever seen that in an MMO :)

The only other game ive seen a flail in was Everquest seriest both EQ1 and EQ2 so i spose it doesnt surprise me when its in EQN aswell but i do agree i saw flail as a weapon and im like paused for while and went FuckYeah!!!

Also another note on weapons both EQ games also had whips wo thats another one i would be surprised if i didnt see it come out in EQN aswell, Also i see combat staffs (not the spell caster kind) making a comeback aswell, Monks will be unarmed/fist weapons and staff combo i bet :P

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I guess when it says "...a spear for medium range attacks" it means a javelin type weapon. A pet class with a javelin alone has me sold on trying the game.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by mechtech256

Totally agree. Making the Necromancer just a dark mage with a companion is pretty lame.

I think Guild Wars 1 and the Diablo series really got the Necromancer right (from a high level perspective). Necromancers should be about hoards of undead.

"Wielding" a tome is pretty darn lame too. At least give them a staff weapon that absorbs enemy souls or something...

I see the tome that absorbs enemy souls more beleiveable than a staff but thats just me :P

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I fell for the BeastLord idea in EQ2 and never again,they did a crap job of creating a fun class.When learn from FFXI how to make a Beastmaster class, i might come looking.

Others are old classes nothing new  or creative,Tempest might be a new name but sounds like a dual weilding mage and nothing more.

Necromancer means different things to different people; death is often seen as being chaotic force due to its unpredictability. Having a necromancer wiled chaotic magic makes perfect sense to me.

A Tempest should be an AOE storm brewer,after all a storm wouldn't hit  just one person.The benefit would extremely powerful AOE but very long casting times and easily interrupted if melee attacked.

That's your version of a Tempest, a character who 'whirls about' in battle focusing the power of a storm into a small area is just as valid. Think about it, a storm can be dangerous when spread over a large area, but when focused into a small area it's even more devastating (such as a thunderstorm which forms a tornado).

Where is the logic in having a Cleric use Fire,is this their sloppy attempt at rehashing old names but trying to make them seem different even if their ideas make no sense?Cleric's heal and banish the undead...see FFXI for the know how to make a healer class.

Flame is often seen as a cleansing & purifying agent, as well as a destructive one. While I feel that clerics should wield positive or negative energies (depending upon alignment), flame is also perfectly acceptable, and has been used for healing classes before. Although I do believe the idiot who thought that healing classes should wear the weakest armor needs to be fired from ever designing fantasy classes ever again (don't know if EQN cleric wears plate or not, it wasn't specified)

When i see this stuff it reminds me of how little creativity SOE has under their roof,it seems like the same old they have always been turning out,time they put some new blood in charge.

Yes, because FFXI was just oh-so-creative, right? Sorry, but they didn't do anything new with classes either. If you prefer their versions of certain classes that's fine (I myself am constantly aggrieved by the fact that no game other than D&D tabletop gets divine spellcasters right), but don't assign them virtues which they quite honestly haven't displayed, and don't be so judgmental about SOE's version of classes until we have more than a couple sentences describing a very general outline of their theme / abilities.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Necromancer means different things to different people; death is often seen as being chaotic force due to its unpredictability. Having a necromancer wiled chaotic magic makes perfect sense to me.

That's your version of a Tempest, a character who 'whirls about' in battle focusing the power of a storm into a small area is just as valid. Think about it, a storm can be dangerous when spread over a large area, but when focused into a small area it's even more devastating (such as a thunderstorm which forms a tornado).

Flame is often seen as a cleansing & purifying agent, as well as a destructive one. While I feel that clerics should wield positive or negative energies (depending upon alignment), flame is also perfectly acceptable, and has been used for healing classes before. Although I do believe the idiot who thought that healing classes should wear the weakest armor needs to be fired from ever designing fantasy classes ever again (don't know if EQN cleric wears plate or not, it wasn't specified)

Yes, because FFXI was just oh-so-creative, right? Sorry, but they didn't do anything new with classes either. If you prefer their versions of certain classes that's fine (I myself am constantly aggrieved by the fact that no game other than D&D tabletop gets divine spellcasters right), but don't assign them virtues which they quite honestly haven't displayed, and don't be so judgmental about SOE's version of classes until we have more than a couple sentences describing a very general outline of their theme / abilities.

Well put Solar.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

You will not win this.

Everyone has different opinions about what classes should or should not be.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by winter
    Are classes in EQN weapon locked to just 2 weapon choices? ie Beast Master gets only spear, or fail and shield. That's sad news as its once again a removal of choices. In some cases like clerics using only bludgeoning weapons I could kinda see it but for all classes it doesn't really make sense and smacks of laziness on the developers part. 9I didn't like it in Neverwinter and I don'tthink I'll like it in EQN either. Seriously a Necro can't even use a staff???!!!!)

Yes, but you can multiclass and switch your main class. So you can pick a class that can use a staff and put Necro abilities in the abilities slots.

There are some limitation with the abilities slot type (damage, buff, movement and one I'm missing), but the game offer a lots more customization than Neverwinter or even GW2. The game will release with 40 classes, each with about 8-12 abilities and two "weapon sets" too.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

Reaver class in DAoC weilded one but yeah I love the idea.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Sinsai

Reaver class in DAoC weilded one but yeah I love the idea.

Leviathan... ouch.

Classes sound like what was expected for the safe initial reveals except for the Tempest. Will be interesting to see what their Heroic movement is like. Likely to be considerable, perhaps even with more slots being devoted to it. I would say probably rogue base from the sound of it. Highly mobile, lightly armored dps with some utility. Sounds fun, actually. Who knows, though.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

"He will cleanse the earth. When Jesus comes again, He will come in power and great glory. At that time the wicked will be destroyed. All things that are corrupt will be burned, and the earth will be cleansed by fire"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Tempest was briefly mentioned 3 months ago at SOE Live

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/05/everquest-next-has-more-than-40-classes-five-listed/

Five of the classes have been revealed so far: Rogue, Warrior, Tempest, Blademaster and Wizard.

The playable races are Dwarf, Human, Ogre, Elf, Dark Elf and Kerran.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

They had some of the most creative classes in mmos. Blue Mage, Red Mage, Samurai, Dancer, Rune Fencer, Puppet Master, Geomancer.  If you played it than you would see how different their class system works from most mmos.  And they all play very differently from each other too.

Blue mage was prolly one of the most unique classes, one of the things about them is that they have to learn all their magic from getting enemies to do the spell on them because they learn enemy skills.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

regarding clerics and fire --  remember Flame Strike from D&D?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Flame_Strike

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

They will have lore I imagine to back up these 40 classes and their abilities...If you like their lore, that will have to remain to be seen.

I am up in the air on everything, but I will wait and see.  I might be skipping Landmark, my wife doesn't seem to interested in a building mmo, at least until the tools come out and stuff is built up in it.