Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Unholy Wars: Biggest joke of a suggestion yet?

MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126

As the diehards on forumfall gather together to form their grand plans to keep this dead game walking, they have come up with the suggestion that AV should run a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to complete the game.

What they seem to have forgotten is that AV has been running its own version of the Kickstarter campaign since February 2009, a campaign to which I have personally donated around about 2000 Euros over these last few years.  There are many others like me.

It's true that we have had access to two beta games during this time (Darkfall 1.0 and DF:UW), but after 4 years, 2000 Euros and still no working game, I think AV have had enough crowdfunding from me.

I'm guessing that the majority of former players are of the same view, not least when you compare the amount of open communication that actual, successful Kickstarter campaigns run with AV's own special brand of keeping its backers in the loop about their plans.

As someone perhaps rightly said in the forumfall thread: Has AV had its day?  Is it time for us all to move on?

Sadly, I fear so.

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

i don't know if AV has had its day, but i know you made their day when you gave them 2000 euros for little to no ROI.

they only got me for $30.00. last time i give a greek company any of my money.

• MaejohlMaejohl Member UncommonPosts: 126
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Maejohl

As the diehards on forumfall gather together to form their grand plans to keep this dead game walking, they have come up with the suggestion that AV should run a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to complete the game.

What they seem to have forgotten is that AV has been running its own version of the Kickstarter campaign since February 2009, a campaign to which I have personally donated around about 2000 Euros over these last few years.  There are many others like me.

It's true that we have had access to two beta games during this time (Darkfall 1.0 and DF:UW), but after 4 years, 2000 Euros and still no working game, I think AV have had enough crowdfunding from me.

I'm guessing that the majority of former players are of the same view, not least when you compare the amount of open communication that actual, successful Kickstarter campaigns run with AV's own special brand of keeping its backers in the loop about their plans.

As someone perhaps rightly said in the forumfall thread: Has AV had its day?  Is it time for us all to move on?

Sadly, I fear so.

Further, what kind of faith would anyone have in supporting a KS for the game, if they've been, arguably, unable to finish the game - twice - with the money they've received so far, from players and from other sources? At some point, it becomes little more than "throwing good money after bad". 

AV have had two chances, now, to get it right. I don't truly know how the numbers fall, but if it's to the point where people feel a KS campaign for yet more money to finish it is needed, well... that really says it all, doesn't it.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Is it time for us all to move on?

Please do.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    What's really sad is that half the people on that thread think it's a good idea...

You make me like charity

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I don't see the point of slamming someone else's suggestion because you are fed up with paying for a game.  I'm not sure how you managed a few thousand Euros though, were you paying for 10 accounts or something and why not stop a little sooner if the game was no fun and not finished?
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Don't forget they were a part of the Steam Greenlight also. They have had enough chances to prove they could produce a game worth people supporting and they lost. I bought the game but after a week of really trying to get into it I just couldn't. 

Sad too, because they had some great concepts.

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

Though I never played this, I always followed it. Interesting game and community...

I am really wondering how long this game is here to stay. The last content patch was two and a half months ago if I see that correctly on their forums.  I also heard that they don't have an office anymore...

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

@ op.. 

All the diehards already left the game  its a waiting game currently..

Upcoming repopulation has lots of potential ( yes i played it)

Av had there change with 1.0 and blew it even more with uw.

What i dont understand that people are still trying to make it a better place when you know there is no support of the company itself.

Let the company die and hopefully some small computer geeks pick up 1.0 and run a community driven server

Av needs to give  a pricetag

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    They can always shut down DF UW and bring back DFO with a promess that there won't be a wipe this time, no ridiculous grind, a skill cap(Not a stupid class system) more skills for melee/archers(Not only magic this time) and brining in the rest of the feature that was supposed to be in DF 2010: this mean the new skirmisher and mage armor pack. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Guess  € 2.6 million wasn't enough? image

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Awful game with potential.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• kinghussienkinghussien Member Posts: 31
    And thats all this game will ever be: awful with potential. Also love how all the blind followers think that if all the people that wish AV to burn leaves, DFUW will instantly do better. HA! Thats what they said about putting it on Steam.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Maybe someone should buy them? Then they will have more resources and be able to secure better talent?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by bcbully

Maybe someone should buy them? Then they will have more resources and be able to secure better talent?

After their second failure, AV has turned more into a  liability than anything else for any potential buyer. Even if another company were to buy DFUW from AV instead of buying AV, I don't think they'd be able to salvage it either. They'd have to start over from scratch to make a decent game.

Originally posted by bcbully

Someone already did buy them or at least now has control of the company. 

Originally posted by Caaahl

Sadly, I fear so.

Yap, it's getting absurd over there lately.

When someone makes a post that he will cancel his subs due to the lack of content and lack of commitment by AV he gets answers from fanboy/girls like the following(direct quote):

"And this is the reason the game fails. People want instant success.[...] As long as people keep giving up...it will fail."

I want to bash my head against a wall reading such things.

This guy has been paying for 3 accounts since launch and when he quits because he is fed up with AV, it is HIS fault that the game fails, and not just the fault of the incompetent developer.

Sometimes i get more angry about the naivity and sheep behaviour of some of these die hard fanbois/girls than i get mad about AV.

Its seems rather crazy

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Players should form a group kickstarter to buy DFUW from AV and save it ourselves.  All we would need to do is buy their debt and then take the company over.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Better kickstart idea:  Let's have a kickstart campaign to buy out the DF 1.0 codebase, make it open source and available to all, and see what kind of awesome games can be built from it.

AV can have their shitty DFUW code.

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    They can always shut down DF UW and bring back DFO with a promess that there won't be a wipe this time, no ridiculous grind, a skill cap(Not a stupid class system) more skills for melee/archers(Not only magic this time) and brining in the rest of the feature that was supposed to be in DF 2010: this mean the new skirmisher and mage armor pack. 

I did not know whether the company is in financial trouble, in fact I stopped caring anything DF since the day the created that abomination called Unholy Wars. They had a solid community, they had loyal people that were willing to pay more than one account subs to play the game, they had financial stability until the day they decided to "improve" the game, then they killed the goose that lays the golden eggs. AV looked for their problems they destroyed their loyal community now they are reaping what they sowed.

Originally posted by RPGForever
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

I did not know whether the company is in financial trouble, in fact I stopped caring anything DF since the day the created that abomination called Unholy Wars. They had a solid community, they had loyal people that were willing to pay more than one account subs to play the game, they had financial stability until the day they decided to "improve" the game, then they killed the goose that lays the golden eggs. AV looked for their problems they destroyed their loyal community now they are reaping what they sowed.

You don't sell off controlling interest in your company if you "have financial stability", as  AV did in early 2012.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Kickstarter is a stupid idea. I think the game is great fun even in its unfinished state. We can all hope a company buys the game from AV, but how often does that happen?
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Kickstarter would be such a bad idea. At this point I don't think anything could save this game.
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    It's amusing that some people think that DFUW does not share the same core code with DFO. DFUW is just a version of DFO with some content removed and a NGE style expansion pack added.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    It's amusing that some people think that DFUW does not share the same core code with DFO. DFUW is just a version of DFO with some content removed and a NGE style expansion pack added.

How do you know it does? I have no idea if it does or not, but people in this community love to just make claims about things like this.