Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gotta Be First!

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

With the X-bone having some hardware troubles being in the news, I get to wondering why we, as gamers, always (I mean ALWAYS) jump onto the next new thing so quickly. Look at the track record of both technology and games in general. Doesn't this behavior tell the industry it is down right fine and dandy to release inferior products? Is that the right message to be sending?

It is a rare game that launches without bugs. Just waiting a month or two will allow the developers to "fix" their games before you struggle with their bugs. But no. Us gamers just HAVE to be able to say "I bought it on launch day.", inferring that we are better than others who did not. With MMOs, it is the bragging rights of "beta tester." that attempts to create a rift between players.

Technology does not have a much better track record. With every new innovation or improvement, there seems to be unforeseen troubles that need to be fixed before it works properly. But we still stand in lines (not really anymore as we get almost everything on the net) to get these new toys and suffer until they get fixed.

We gamers even go so far as to "pre-order" many games and technologies without first reading about how they perform, or how they may affect our own systems.

Maybe this comes from the old MMOs when a player was far behind by starting a month or two later than others. But with MMOs today, that does not matter anymore. In a matter of weeks, everyone is top level and equalized. Do server firsts matter anymore? When I read about the first GW2 character to hit max level (by crafting no less) I actually laughed out loud AT that player. Maybe others were in "awe", I don't know.

Admittedly, I am not into status symbols or accolades or some imagined race. My competitive spirit is saved for real life things that matter to me and I have some control over. I am not trying to belittle anyone by saying that, and apologize if that comes across that way. Games and technology just do not fit in that area for me personally. Maybe that is the difference?

What is it that drives us to jump onto every new thing that comes out, to be "first"?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

With the X-bone having some hardware troubles being in the news, I get to wondering why we, as gamers, always (I mean ALWAYS) jump onto the next new thing so quickly. Look at the track record of both technology and games in general. Doesn't this behavior tell the industry it is down right fine and dandy to release inferior products? Is that the right message to be sending?

It is a rare game that launches without bugs. Just waiting a month or two will allow the developers to "fix" their games before you struggle with their bugs. But no. Us gamers just HAVE to be able to say "I bought it on launch day.", inferring that we are better than others who did not. With MMOs, it is the bragging rights of "beta tester." that attempts to create a rift between players.

Technology does not have a much better track record. With every new innovation or improvement, there seems to be unforeseen troubles that need to be fixed before it works properly. But we still stand in lines (not really anymore as we get almost everything on the net) to get these new toys and suffer until they get fixed.

We gamers even go so far as to "pre-order" many games and technologies without first reading about how they perform, or how they may affect our own systems.

Maybe this comes from the old MMOs when a player was far behind by starting a month or two later than others. But with MMOs today, that does not matter anymore. In a matter of weeks, everyone is top level and equalized. Do server firsts matter anymore? When I read about the first GW2 character to hit max level (by crafting no less) I actually laughed out loud AT that player. Maybe others were in "awe", I don't know.

Admittedly, I am not into status symbols or accolades or some imagined race. My competitive spirit is saved for real life things that matter to me and I have some control over. I am not trying to belittle anyone by saying that, and apologize if that comes across that way. Games and technology just do not fit in that area for me personally. Maybe that is the difference?

What is it that drives us to jump onto every new thing that comes out, to be "first"?

I have no idea, I don't personally do that, and never have. Unlike other people, I see it as a rather dumb thing to do in general. Everything has it's problems when it first comes out. So not only are you paying more, but you are paying more for something that is likely to have issues.

You wait, all issues get fixed, and prices drop. But hey ... I sort of count on the people to buy early so I can buy later. The product simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for all those jumpy people. Guess you could say I take advantage of that.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Rational people let the slavering sheeple buy new technology first.  That way, after the sheeple have paid over the odds for bug-ridden shit, the rational people then buy the bug-free v2 version at a cheaper price.  :D

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Hmmm ... I don't think I've played a single game this year that was actually released this year.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

As far as MMO jumping, I think many people obviously enjoy the 'new' factor in terms of art, game theme, lore, combat mechanics, etc. (however small the differences) but they also like the buildup more than the endgame-shiny-grind which is better served to those who have a second work-week online.

The promise of what this dynamic, vibrant, dare I say 'massive' MMO world could be is enticing and many gamers desire the dream of what MMOs could possibly be more than the reality. MMOs are all about promise and potential unfortunately the other people tend to ruin it :)

Perhaps it is a grass is always greener syndrome bolstered by a sense of ever increasing futility or maybe people are just fickle.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    We?  Who is this "we" that you speak of.  I certainly don't jump in, trying to be the first to do everything.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If I'm not currently doing anything else I have a look but don't go out of the way of what I'm currently doing unless it's nothing. Usually have to wait a week or two after launch to even get a reliable gaming experience so it doesn't hurt to wait a month or so. It's always fun when everyone is at the same stage doing everything at the same time so I guess it's for people who like that experience.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    I never did. I'm waiting for some PS4 bundles next year. Maybe Final Fantasy XV or Watch Dogs bundle. I never buy the first version of anything.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Absolutely no idea what drives this mentality; I have never subscribed to it and find it to be rather foolish.  To be honest, it does not exist solely in the gaming community but I think its presence is all the more aggravating amongst MMO players because people who are "first!" tend to brag about it, and then articles are written about it (i.e., that guy who hurried up to hit 80 in Gw 2 that the OP referenced), and of course we are bombarded with pre-order promises and "collectors editions" and God knows what else...

I just think that no matter what game you migrate to, no matter which community you call home, there is always going to be that elitist section who believes they simply *MUST* rush that level cap, get their guild all shined up first, be the very first to down Boxx X and Boss Y.  I suppose that many of us play MMOs because they ultimately give us a sense of accomplishment and reward us for the time we spend in the game worlds, but much like the OP, I simply cannot understand why so many gamers will eschew good sense -- and sacrifice their real-world lives -- in order to feel "important" in a pixelated universe.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

Different strokes for different folks, some have the time and money to do it.  Some are just that invested in their hobbies.  Some just see it as fun competition (regards to level capping).  I agree it does go to extremes at times but it isn't as bad as most claim (and honestly, what is?).

I personally don't see how people can spend hours on forums and amass thousands of posts a year.  I struggle finding anything worth posting for the few I have, and most of those are jibberish.

I just chalk it up as some things some of us are just not meant to comprehend.  I'm sure we all have something we do we can tend to get carried away on or are very passionate about.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Don't have a clue, I'm not an early adopter of anything.  If I decide to buy a PS4 (no shot in hell for the Xbox One), it'll be in a year or so when issues have been fixed, prices have come down and there are tons of games to choose from.  I don't mind waiting.

I don't get idiots who have to stand in line for these things.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Quizzical
    We?  Who is this "we" that you speak of.  I certainly don't jump in, trying to be the first to do everything.
    I know. Neither am I. I just did not want to make this a "You" vs "Me" thread :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Total number of boxes affected were under 1% and some of them were to damage during shipping. Given the spread of social media, forums and focus on the release a minor issue gets turned into elephant.

That said we live in the generation that sees bleeding edge as the norm and if you are not on it - you are behind. It is just part of consumerism culture, so nothing unusual here.

Originally posted by Popori
    Different strokes for different folks, some have the time and money to do it.  Some are just that invested in their hobbies.  Some just see it as fun competition (regards to level capping).  I agree it does go to extremes at times but it isn't as bad as most claim (and honestly, what is?).I personally don't see how people can spend hours on forums and amass thousands of posts a year.  I struggle finding anything worth posting for the few I have, and most of those are jibberish.I just chalk it up as some things some of us are just not meant to comprehend.  I'm sure we all have something we do we can tend to get carried away on or are very passionate about.
    I agree. People have different and varying "triggers" that get their passions going. I'm not trying to be condescending, but rather trying to understand the mindset.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

Life is short. Why wait, if you want the latest and greatest and can afford it, do it if it suits you!

Early adopters help coddle those afraid or unwilling to brave new ideas and products, and its a good thing too!

If everyone sat around and waited for stuff to happen, nothing would get done. I'm certainly happy that Magellan, Columbus and people like the Wright brothers didn't sit around and wait for things to happen!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by FoeHammerJT

Life is short. Why wait, if you want the latest and greatest and can afford it, do it if it suits you!

Early adopters help coddle those afraid or unwilling to brave new ideas and products, and its a good thing too!

If everyone sat around and waited for stuff to happen, nothing would get done. I'm certainly happy that Magellan, Columbus and people like the Wright brothers didn't sit around and wait for things to happen!

The only person that got it right.image

That is a great point. I had not considered that. Thanks :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I agree with this, I still wouldn't buy products early. 

It's not like I would be benefited in anyway.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I am not sure I would compare the two.  Purchasing an item is not the same as making something or "discovering" the new world.

Complete non sequitur. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Nothing captures the pioneering spirit of modern man like pre-ordering a video games console. 
  • MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Originally posted by crack_fox
    Nothing captures the pioneering spirit of modern man like pre-ordering a video games console. 

I normally don't make posts like this but...

Bwahahaha! Thank you for that.

Ok, carry on.