Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: v2.1 Patch to be Released December 17th

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,572MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

In today's Letter from the Producer Q&A session, it was revealed that the first major patch for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will be released on December 17th. The Q&A covers seven pages of topics ranging from dungeon parties, item costs and much more.

Q34: I am concerned that the MVP system will cause more player-to-player conflicts.



A34: We believe the players got the wrong idea of the system because we called it the MVP system. Therefore, we have decided to change it to the “MIP (Most Impressive Player)” system. Simply put, we would like for you to vote on the player that was the nicest member instead of the voting on the player that was the best during the run. We wanted it to be a feature where players were able to thank each other.       

Read the entire thread on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site.

image

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image

Comments

  • MuruganMurugan D, COPosts: 1,494Member

    Crystal Tower is turning out to be a huge disappointment for most endgame players.

     

    You can't even enter with an alliance of your own.  You enter with an (up to) 8 person party of your choosing, and then are randomly paired through duty finder with two other groups (or just completely random people).

     

    Also you have no gear incentive as the drops are item level 90.  The expected gear you need is only item level 55 which makes it just above the currency farm dungeons.  It is going to be a terrible flop.  Why didn't they just introduce DIFFICULT 24 person raiding like they planned to?  No one asked for this.

     

    The only content that isn't just more variety on top of current content (such as the hard mode dungeons etc. which will compete with WP and AK dropping level 60 gear and tombstones) are the extreme mode primals.

     

    Even if these are difficult, they all drop level 90 weapons?  Which just makes them equal to relic but slightly different.  So there will be one you will farm for, and hopefully it is not all titan's drops which are 1% better than the other two.

     

    Even the lowest of expectations for endgame for 2.1 are pretty much dashed by this news.  Housing and PvP, and primals and playing the 1.0 content waiting game while collecting sets of all primal weapons all over again.  What is there to look forward to in 2.2? 

     

    More coil, more small 8 person weekly lockout content.  Hopefully the failure of Crystal Tower (because it is going to be a disaster for all the work they put into it), will force them to reconsider adding real endgame (large scale raiding) to this game. 

  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Salem, ORPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    So your answer is "I am a hardcore raider, part of a super minority, and any contrnt that doesn't cater to me is trash"?. Hate to tell yaan, but the hardcore raiding trend is dying and fast.
  • MyriaMyria Lowell, MAPosts: 570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Hate to tell yaan, but the hardcore raiding trend is dying and fast.

    [citation needed]

  • TissmogiTissmogi Portland, OHPosts: 177Member

    Not sure you read those notes at all.

    The gear that drops from tower is iLevel 80 and meant as stepping stone from DL gear to Mythic/Allagan. This eases the way towards Coil for most casual players and that is a good thing to do.

    New dungeons are for more options to get tokens i am really glad to hear that.

    Extreme Mode fights will drop unique housing items, weapons and Mog King has it's own set of weapons too.

    Hardcore dungeons are iLevel 80 drops too with new strategies and paths to take.

  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Somewhere, CAPosts: 627Member Uncommon

    Really terrible and disappointing decision not allowing anything over 8 man pre-mades to enter the new raid. It was going to be something for FC's with more than eight bloody people to do. I've honestly not heard of anything that dumb (in terms of design) in awhile. What is the thought process that goes into a decision like that? A few other things irritate me about this patch:

    1. People who are actively farming Coil get to farm Coil for a few more months because there is very little if any PVE progression beyond BC coming in 2.1, and let's be honest here -- turns 1-3 are puggable at this point. The extreme mode primals are going to drop the same ilvl gear that BC does so unless it is itemized better, there is no reason to do the encounters from a progression standpoint. 

    2. Duty finder roulette has to be done with ALL randoms to get the reward, so you can't make a pre-made group and queue for randoms. Again, why? SE, why don't you want me to play with my friends? Give us the OPTION (a dirty word in JP game development it seems) to do it with all randoms, a few randoms, or a pre-made. Encourage friends to play together, and as a last resort fill in the missing spots with PUG's. 

     

    Aside from that, the patch looks very good, and I will likely sub for a month to check it out, but I really can't stress just how disappointed I am with the way they're handling the new raid and the random instances. 

     

  • ZizouXZizouX Burbank, CAPosts: 670Member

    Only 8 man groups fro Crystal tower is very disappointing but it's only temporary.

     

    It's not available now, but will be in the future.  This patch is building a solid foundation for the game.  It's catering to casuals and FF fans more than hardcore raiders.  Best way to cater to both, but i guess they couldn't do it.

     

    Also, people complaining about Crystal tower being easier than Coil.  This has been the case for the last three months.  Why in the world are people shocked....

     

    THEY NEVER said Tower was harder than Coil..... it was always known it would be in between darklight and allagan.  You guys didn't find it peculiar that there are no i80 items in the game?

     

    This is a gigantic patch.... if you like a quality game where you can sink your teeth into treasure hunts, a little bit of pvp, a new raid, 1 new dungeon, 2 hard dungeons, 4 extreme/hard primal fights, company housing, then this game isn't for you.

     

    I think a majority of people who don't make hardcore raiding as their focus will love the patch.  I happen to think that's the vast majority of this game's player base.  I fall into that category.  I havn't done coil yet and i'm not in any hurry.

  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Somewhere, CAPosts: 627Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ZizouX

    Only 8 man groups fro Crystal tower is very disappointing but it's only temporary.

     

    It's not available now, but will be in the future.  This patch is building a solid foundation for the game.  It's catering to casuals and FF fans more than hardcore raiders.  Best way to cater to both, but i guess they couldn't do it.

     

    Also, people complaining about Crystal tower being easier than Coil.  This has been the case for the last three months.  Why in the world are people shocked....

     

    THEY NEVER said Tower was harder than Coil..... it was always known it would be in between darklight and allagan.  You guys didn't find it peculiar that there are no i80 items in the game?

     

    This is a gigantic patch.... if you like a quality game where you can sink your teeth into treasure hunts, a little bit of pvp, a new raid, 1 new dungeon, 2 hard dungeons, 4 extreme/hard primal fights, company housing, then this game isn't for you.

     

    I think a majority of people who don't make hardcore raiding as their focus will love the patch.  I happen to think that's the vast majority of this game's player base.  I fall into that category.  I havn't done coil yet and i'm not in any hurry.

     

    Like I said, the patch looks great aside from a few issues, but those few issues are unbelievably dumb. The Coil thing I can sort of understand as there's only so many hours in a day and they can't keep the patch in development forever, but launching a brand new large scale raid without the ability to do it with your FC or even more than 8 of your server-mates freaking sucks. 

     

    I mean, how much foresight does it take to realize that when you release a large casual raid that a ton of people are going to want to do it and those people probably have more than 7 friends in the game? And what goddamned MMO releases without the ability to form more than an 8 man group? And how long can it possibly take to implement something like that? 

  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    If you're subbed to the game right now and not excited for this patch, you're not normal.   

    Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Salem, ORPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    Citation needed? Look at the world first contender guilds dropping to ten man from twenty five or dissolving all together. Hardcore raiding has NEVER been a majority and it's only getting smaller. Why would a company make content only 5% of the playerbase gets to experience? I have 4 50s in this game, all decked in DL gear and haven't set foot in Coil. Like the other poster said, I'm in no hurry to either. Players who consume content like locusts are the same ones who end up playing for a few weeks after a patch then unsubbing till the next. Why would you make content for people that fickle?
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,061Member Uncommon
    Dungeons in this game are very poor and boring indeed, no imagination and pretty basic fare.

    Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Salem, ORPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    I disagree. While they are pretty straight forward, just the fact that you can't go ape crazy on mobs without risk of snatching aggro is actually sort of refreshing. I thought that mechanic was dead. I do hope the hard mode dungeons do require a bit more CC or interupts though.
  • AldersAlders Jack Burton'sPosts: 1,857Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    I disagree. While they are pretty straight forward, just the fact that you can't go ape crazy on mobs without risk of snatching aggro is actually sort of refreshing. 

    This issue is of course, it really doesn't matter if you do.

  • EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,225Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra I disagree. While they are pretty straight forward, just the fact that you can't go ape crazy on mobs without risk of snatching aggro is actually sort of refreshing. 
    This issue is of course, it really doesn't matter if you do.

    Until the healer has to split his/her time healing both dps and tank, then over heals and gets aggro, group wipes. Sometimes it does matter.

    image
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Salem, ORPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    That was sort of my point. What some people see as "terrible" others see as great . MMORPG posters have a bad habit of posting opinion as fact. YOU may not like this patch. Many others do.
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Salem, ORPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    And if you think it "doesn't matter" play a whm to 50, then cast Medica 2 right at the end of one pull and right before the tank pulls another pack and tell me how long, in seconds, you survive lol
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Dorval, QCPosts: 869Member Uncommon
    Why the need for more Tome currencies? Why isn't two enough?
  • ZizouXZizouX Burbank, CAPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Dungeons in this game are very poor and boring indeed, no imagination and pretty basic fare.

    Completely disagree with you.  This game has amazing dungeons.  To each his own.

  • TsumoroTsumoro EozeaPosts: 408Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Murugan

    Crystal Tower is turning out to be a huge disappointment for most endgame players.

     

    You can't even enter with an alliance of your own.  You enter with an (up to) 8 person party of your choosing, and then are randomly paired through duty finder with two other groups (or just completely random people).

     

    Also you have no gear incentive as the drops are item level 90.  The expected gear you need is only item level 55 which makes it just above the currency farm dungeons.  It is going to be a terrible flop.  Why didn't they just introduce DIFFICULT 24 person raiding like they planned to?  No one asked for this.

     

    The only content that isn't just more variety on top of current content (such as the hard mode dungeons etc. which will compete with WP and AK dropping level 60 gear and tombstones) are the extreme mode primals.

     

    Even if these are difficult, they all drop level 90 weapons?  Which just makes them equal to relic but slightly different.  So there will be one you will farm for, and hopefully it is not all titan's drops which are 1% better than the other two.

     

    Even the lowest of expectations for endgame for 2.1 are pretty much dashed by this news.  Housing and PvP, and primals and playing the 1.0 content waiting game while collecting sets of all primal weapons all over again.  What is there to look forward to in 2.2? 

     

    More coil, more small 8 person weekly lockout content.  Hopefully the failure of Crystal Tower (because it is going to be a disaster for all the work they put into it), will force them to reconsider adding real endgame (large scale raiding) to this game. 

    See this is where you are wrong, this is to give the people whom like to use the LFG tool the ability to raid. BC is the higher tier of raiding which is meant for a bit more organised free company play. I am for one looking forward to playing with 24 strangers and co-operating together. 

    Sorry you didn't get further end game content that you like, but for me, this is ideal and hopefully the timer wont be as bad as its going to be 24 people. So more spaces available. 

     

  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Somewhere, CAPosts: 627Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    And if you think it "doesn't matter" play a whm to 50, then cast Medica 2 right at the end of one pull and right before the tank pulls another pack and tell me how long, in seconds, you survive lol

     

    That's because awful WHM's don't know that overhealing produces threat. Also, if a HOT ticks on the pull before the tank has established AOE threat i.e. a single Flash/CoS/Overpower, then the mobs will go running for the healer. That's basically like the WHM running in and casting Holy before the tank pulls. It's just bad play.

    That doesn't mean threat matters, it means that having HOTs running pre-pull is dumb. The only time threat is ever an issue is when the DPS is way overgeared relative to the tank. 

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Citation needed? Look at the world first contender guilds dropping to ten man from twenty five or dissolving all together. Hardcore raiding has NEVER been a majority and it's only getting smaller. Why would a company make content only 5% of the playerbase gets to experience? I have 4 50s in this game, all decked in DL gear and haven't set foot in Coil. Like the other poster said, I'm in no hurry to either. Players who consume content like locusts are the same ones who end up playing for a few weeks after a patch then unsubbing till the next. Why would you make content for people that fickle?

    Well stated.  The 733t raider types will almost always complain about anything that isn't so difficult that it inspires a rage quit response in 98% of the player base.  The idea that a company should spend the time/talent/money that quality content takes to create, to pander to a SMALL percentage of the player base is nonsense. Yoshi P is anything but a fool, so I wouldn't expect him to cater to such types.  2.1 looks like a lot of fun. Lets see how it plays.

  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon

    Not sure how Crystal Tower is going to work out if say one group out of the three struggles and gives up. You could then have two groups left, possibly waiting for a new third group to form and get through their content. A lot of variables here.

    I also see that the Extreme Primals are going to be part of the main story line. What percentage of the player base will actually be able to progress the main story here remains to be seen.

    Funneling the main story into an increasingly harsher bottleneck may give problems.

  • RenoakuRenoaku Posts: 1,003Member Uncommon

    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/121315-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-X-Q-A-Updates/page2

    I was thinking about returning to Final Fantasy XIV, but after reading their Q&A the game still isn't to my liking.

    Basically instead of being able to freely customize you're character from within you're house you have to pay 2000 GIL, and go to a barber-shop/NPC to do this, I think this is absolutely dumb. I mean this is 2013, 2014 coming up and I should be able to simply click a UI button while in my house or click on my mirror in my house and be able to freely customize without paying any GIL fee or anything at all at any time I want to.

    To me this game is likely a lost cause, unless they do some major changing to housing system, and put this aspect of the game in the way I described it I am likely not even going to pay for the game because I should not pay for something when the developers can't even listen to suggestions, take feed-back, or even think seriously about development of the game other than the classic we will throw in a barbershop interaction NPC, that is so out-dated.

    What I am saying is I played Dragon Age,  EVE Online, Kingdoms of Amalur, these three games are great examples of games where I could walk into my house, and just click on the mirror and change my appearance, except in EVE you visit any space-station and click re-customize that simple.

    Why Final Fantasy XIV can't have this for a 2013 MMO its very bad, I wish they would also open a suggestions page on their forum and take players seriously about what they are looking for, they don't even have a forum for these type of suggestions which tells me right there they want subscribers but they don't want to listen to its customers.

    I played FFXI back in the day for years, and I played FFXIV, I can say the game has improved and has good potential, but these developers are wasting such a good game with bad development/decisions.

  • OdenBladeOdenBlade GothenburgPosts: 64Member
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    Citation needed? Look at the world first contender guilds dropping to ten man from twenty five or dissolving all together. Hardcore raiding has NEVER been a majority and it's only getting smaller. Why would a company make content only 5% of the playerbase gets to experience? I have 4 50s in this game, all decked in DL gear and haven't set foot in Coil. Like the other poster said, I'm in no hurry to either. Players who consume content like locusts are the same ones who end up playing for a few weeks after a patch then unsubbing till the next. Why would you make content for people that fickle?

    +1

  • SpardaXSpardaX Pinhal NovoPosts: 46Member

    I agree man, barbershops are so outdated, thats why nowadays everyone cuts their hair at home, just because every game wants to make it instant gratification for you so you dont need to make that little extra effort to customize your character doesnt mean all games should.

    B.rgds.

Sign In or Register to comment.