Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Among all incoming MMORPGs Star Citizen will prevail

mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

TESO - game where everything what TES fans loved cut down for online sake. Nothing new for genre, pretty much singleplayer RPG with coop, like SWToR.

Wildstar - fun gameplay grabbed down by cartoonish graphics, that screams WoW.

Black Desert Online - typical korean grinder with sieges. Said to be sandbox. In truth not even close.

WAR40k Online - Space Marine copypaste.

Archeage - nice game, but no sandbox should be focused as much on quests and levels. Also sadly PvP is meaningless there.

Titan and World of Darkness - too early to start waiting. We know nothing about them.

Everquest Next - very promising in terms of gameplay and direction. Cartoonish graphics - huge con. Can be a big success or crashing fail depending on what devs do with their promises.

It seems that every future MMORPG has something, that holds it back from being "Dream game". Expect one.. Star Citizen.

I feel this game will be the first to provide really immersive virtual reality environment. Something we dreamed about since we were kids. With amazing graphics and Oculus Rift, it will be worth playing just for immersion sake. But game also promises very ambitious sandbox environment. Dozens of systems, each has planets, and many of those planets you can land on, explore like Citadel in Mass Effect with even bigger scale. Mining, trading, exploration, piracy, bounty hunting, military career, treasure hunting - everything you want from space sandbox is promised to be there. You can even grab gun and shoot something on land. 

We were promised wonders many times, but so far what SC devs promised they delivered. Even let donators walk in their hungar and get inside their ship - now, when game still is far from release. Also Star Citizen is the most discussed MMORPG by devs ever. RSI puts devblogs on youtube weekly, they publish monthly magazine about the process of making the game, there are ship promo videos, fanfests, other types of coverage. They have nothing to hide and show openly what they have. And what they show is really impressive. Even more impressive, considering that SC was only one year in development. What it can become in 2 or 3 years? 

In the past I was hyped about some MMORPGs like WAR and GW2. I was hoping they will be amazing. With SC im not hoping. Im calm and sure this game will exceed expectations and prevail.

Comments

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

I'm all for you being excited for Star Citizen, but you should probably limit it to "your feelings". Because quite frankly I don't agree with much of what you wrote. So 'we' does not include me.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Most people prefer to control a human and not a ship. For those who like controlling a ship i am sure it will be a great game.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

As enthusiastic as I am for SC, I haven't seen any information to conclude that it will be amazing. Most of the information we have seen is just renderings of ships, artwork, and "plans". Space combat using the cryengine is likely going to be limited in scope and largely player-"skill" based. The way it's being described is a lot like Call of Duty and the like. You get perks and new upgrades but at the end of the day it's the player that wins or loses. While I'm not against this, it just seems more of an MMOFPS than RPG. This and the fact they are building the game to try and satisfy everyone could dilute the real world of this game they are trying to create. You can play the entirety of the game without encountering other people or PvP, which if it is supposed to be a sim kind of takes the "virtual world" out of it. Space is dangerous.

The fact that you have written off other games with great gameplay solely for "cartoonish graphics" leads me to believe that just seeing some pictures of ships is enough to make you buy a game. If it turns out to be more than CoD with an economy I'll be there day one.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Most people prefer to control a human and not a ship. For those who like controlling a ship i am sure it will be a great game.

Except in SC youre controlling human character, can get out of the ship, explore stations on feet, interact with other humans or NPCs, get into others ship as passenger, etc. Its not EVE

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

In the past I was hyped about some MMORPGs like WAR and GW2. I was hoping they will be amazing. With SC im not hoping. Im calm and sure this game will exceed expectations and prevail.

So, even though we've received LESS info, in-game gameplay demos, or basically anything else than all the other games you mentioned or have played prior to release, you are "sure" this game will prevail?

lol...okay.  

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Well OP, either you're right or you're wrong.  Either way, I'm going to chuckle.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

I think you may have SC confused with Eve.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I spent a ton of cash on SC, it better be good

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I AM looking forward to this game but I'm just surprised the Kool-Aid was available for drinking this early.

The need to diss other games to promote the one you like is just weak sauce all around.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by DocBrody

I spent a ton of cash on SC, it better be good

This kinda hits on the facts

its P2W where spending a few hundred dollars for a pixel ship now will give you a huge power advantage when the game goes live. Otherwise you are stuck with a POS ship for the big money players to gank over and over. With average ships costing $150-250 dollars and the better ships higher yet its a real expensive gamble.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    I  know only one--It looks that i will play wow for 9 years more. Nothing really good on horizon  
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

You guys do know that if Star Citizen is an MMO then so is Minecraft.

You will have a huge singleplayer campaign and privat servers which you can mod. None of the games listed are like this. You can compare it to Skyrim I guess.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP - your Archeage info is dated - XL is in the process of killing questing and revamping PvP, as well as PvE progression and crafting/economy.

Yea, everything is going to be perfect when they finally release it in the US around 2020. Hopefully by then they have converted it to CryEngine 5 as well......

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Let's see. A list of opinions including the usage of such terminology as "dumbed down by cartoonish graphics" stated as if said opinions were fact? Check. Talking about the quality of a bunch of games the poster hasn't played? Check. Baseless prognostication and convenient bending of the proper genre terminology? Check. Yep, sounds like a MMORPG.com post. Nice.
  • Ricardo58Ricardo58 Member UncommonPosts: 19

So... Star Citizen is better because other MMO's are not in the "super computer graphics level"....

Cool story bro...

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

Except Star Citizen is NOT an mmo. Its a mulitplayer online game, but nowhere near massive in terms of traditional mmorpgs. The developers raised something like 30m+(last time i checked), yet all they have is a space hanger and neat looking graphics. Yet they plan on adding all these features since, the income goals have been met. Not to mention they keep selling new models of spaceships with their insurance on them. Kinda like a P2W cashshop(Maybe not quite as bad, but still gives an unfair advantage.).

At this point I wouldn't be suprised if all that was released is a demo and the developers make out like bandits. Personally I distrust scam(kick)starters because no one is held accountable. If I am proven to be wrong and the game is fully fledged, i'll be happy, but from experience; greed is the only goal in video games these days.

Edit: No, No its not an mmo. Its an MOScifi game with private servers.

MurderHerd

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by IsilithTehroth

Except Star Citizen is NOT an mmo. Its a mulitplayer online game, but nowhere near massive in terms of traditional mmorpgs. The developers raised something like 30m+(last time i checked), yet all they have is a space hanger and neat looking graphics. Yet they plan on adding all these features since, the income goals have been met. Not to mention they keep selling new models of spaceships with their insurance on them. Kinda like a P2W cashshop(Maybe not quite as bad, but still gives an unfair advantage.).

At this point I wouldn't be suprised if all that was released is a demo and the developers make out like bandits. Personally I distrust scam(kick)starters because no one is held accountable. If I am proven to be wrong and the game is fully fledged, i'll be happy, but from experience; greed is the only goal in video games these days.

Except it probably is an MMO, there are quite a few 'MMO's out there, that have 'iffy' claims to the title, usually with the number of players they actually support without heavy instancing. But its a gamble, i think all Kickstarters are to a degree, but i doubt anyone can question that the guy is seriously trying to bring this game about, and i really do hope he succeeds, we need this type of game, and if by some chance it doesnt work out, at least he tried, which is more than can be said about other games developers who seem to take the 'easy option' in terms of themeparks and cash cows.. don't we deserve a game thats made for the players and not for the bean counters image

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Ohh my days the miss information in this thread is utterly astounding! Do you all just charge in blind as bats and fire off what you feel might be the right answer?! I will start this by saying, I have spent about 500 pounds sterling on Star Citizen... With that said...

Elder Scrolls Online is offering new things, take for example the fact that it is third slash first person with a greater focus on the immersion and story, with combat following that of the single player games, yes these elements have been seen in other games separated out, but this is the first time you will see them all together.

Wildstar - Great gameplay, not my personal flavour but I can see its appeal to people who enjoy both the art style, comedy and the approach to combat. Nothing about this game screams failure, it will be decided in its end game.

Black Desert - We know such an incredibly small amount of information about this game that calling it a typical korean grinder is narrow minded stereotyping! Ohh Aion and Lineage 2 had large grinds, must be every korean game does! News flash, EQ1 had a HUGE grind, FFXI another HUGE grind... 

Warhammer 40k - More than three factions, action based combat.. Set on the violent world of the 41st Millenium? Sign me up man, what you even said for this didn't make any sense!

Titan got sent straight back to the drawing board and essentially is a non-starter until we hear more disregard it.

WoD - Full social aspects to this game alone make it one to watch, that and the WoD table top world is amazing.

Everquest Next's graphics are not a CON, some, including myself understand the need for stylized graphics, they age better and appeal to a broader base, and run on a wider range of specs.

Onto what people have been saying in the replies to the OP...

Star Citizen is made from a player perspective, with trips on the planets, around ships, on space stations and more, it is not a space ship only game..

Comparing space combat in SC to CoD is utter garbage. Let me elaborate - Ships in SC have stock parts, which can be upgraded and swapped around. These objects can be tinkered and overclocked to varying degrees, power management throughout the ship is important as well, full power to shields as an example. How can that be compared to perks and bunny hoping around?

Star Citizen is not pay to win, fantastic you have purchased a stock ship to play in the game, ohh look a player just bought the same ship.. But wait he's just upgraded it and insured it, now it's tons better than your pay to win ship, ohh look he just blew you up, salvaged your wreck and... ohh, seems your character died, time to begin his/her heir.

and YES it is an MMO! For the love of all that is good and worthy, how are people so blindingly stupid when it comes to facts...

Squadron 42 - single player campaign, akin to wing commander and privateer games.

Private Server - your own server you can run, will be updated less than persistent universe and will run how the player wishes.

Star Citizen - Persistent Universe where hundreds of thousands of people can trade and band together. The game uses phases to split up high population areas to avoid the game slowing to a crawl because of advanced graphics, the zone sizes will change depending on what they can achieve comfortable frames for....

You would think going out and researching properly was bad for your health the way so many people avoid doing it.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Except in SC youre controlling human character, can get out of the ship, explore stations on feet, interact with other humans or NPCs, get into others ship as passenger, etc. Its not EVE

Can i explore planets of foot with my character?  Can i fly directly to them from space without loading screens?

I feel zero attachment to a ship if i cannot first feel attached to a character.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Alders

Can i explore planets of foot with my character?  Can i fly directly to them from space without loading screens?

I feel zero attachment to a ship if i cannot first feel attached to a character.

A man stands up from his seat in a bar, walked out of the establishment and into a metro station, he catches a shuttle back to the spacedock where his Freelancer ship is located. He walks to the front and walks up the steps, the ship detects movement and the door opens and he walks inide, he walks up to the pilot seat and sits down, requests permission to undock, and is then taxi'd out into orbit, at which point he gets up and walks to the turret at the back of his ship to scan the surrounding space with it, he spots a station and heads back and sets a course for it, he docks, gets out of his ship, and starts looking for another bar.

All 100% possible in Star Citizen.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

in main opinion , only EVE  have to be in long time only real MMO game,almost all after 2005 made , mmo's are primary single play games... future is not make any changes in genre.

SC is SP game  with co-op,mp ,it is not RP game ,it is space sim...  players who count Diablo 3 as mmo game ,ll accept SC as mmo game ,too

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Expect one.. Star Citizen.

I feel

In the past I was hyped

What you are basically telling is that you are once again hyped about some other game.

There is no "WE" there is only "YOU". Egocentrism is strong in this one. There is very little objectiveness in your post, only "feelings". I am completely not interested in Star Citizen, and I could post few reasons why I think that you are just hyped and that the game will be nothing special, but what is the point, if you are not here for discussion, only to express feelings.

Imagine that you are trying to explain to someone hyped why one of the games you mentioned will be bad, and that is the same situation I would be, when I would have to explain to you about Star Citizen. See that analogy, hype is a bad thing, because it makes you so confident, you are blinded by it.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

TESO - game where everything what TES fans loved cut down for online sake. Nothing new for genre, pretty much singleplayer RPG with coop, like SWToR.

Wildstar - fun gameplay grabbed down by cartoonish graphics, that screams WoW.

Black Desert Online - typical korean grinder with sieges. Said to be sandbox. In truth not even close.

WAR40k Online - Space Marine copypaste.

Archeage - nice game, but no sandbox should be focused as much on quests and levels. Also sadly PvP is meaningless there.

Titan and World of Darkness - too early to start waiting. We know nothing about them.

Everquest Next - very promising in terms of gameplay and direction. Cartoonish graphics - huge con. Can be a big success or crashing fail depending on what devs do with their promises.

It seems that every future MMORPG has something, that holds it back from being "Dream game". Expect one.. Star Citizen.

I feel this game will be the first to provide really immersive virtual reality environment. Something we dreamed about since we were kids. With amazing graphics and Oculus Rift, it will be worth playing just for immersion sake. But game also promises very ambitious sandbox environment. Dozens of systems, each has planets, and many of those planets you can land on, explore like Citadel in Mass Effect with even bigger scale. Mining, trading, exploration, piracy, bounty hunting, military career, treasure hunting - everything you want from space sandbox is promised to be there. You can even grab gun and shoot something on land. 

We were promised wonders many times, but so far what SC devs promised they delivered. Even let donators walk in their hungar and get inside their ship - now, when game still is far from release. Also Star Citizen is the most discussed MMORPG by devs ever. RSI puts devblogs on youtube weekly, they publish monthly magazine about the process of making the game, there are ship promo videos, fanfests, other types of coverage. They have nothing to hide and show openly what they have. And what they show is really impressive. Even more impressive, considering that SC was only one year in development. What it can become in 2 or 3 years? 

Apply that to your chosen one and stop being impressed by flashy tech demos for your own sake.

Fool me once, shame on me

Fool me twice, three, four, five, how many more times does it take to sink in?

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

You state  Dark Millennium Online as 'Space Marine Copypasta' like that's a bad thing. Are you freaking kidding? Space Marine was a very good game, and to have combat like that in an MMO would be awesome!

Sad thing is that, while Star Citizen will most likely be a good (or even great) game, you're stating it as a fact despite having little to no actual knowledge of what the game is like, other than a very bare-bones hangar app & a lot of promises by a man who hasn't been relevant in the entertainment industry for over a decade.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

You state  Dark Millennium Online as 'Space Marine Copypasta' like that's a bad thing. Are you freaking kidding? Space Marine was a very good game, and to have combat like that in an MMO would be awesome!

Sad thing is that, while Star Citizen will most likely be a good (or even great) game, you're stating it as a fact despite having little to no actual knowledge of what the game is like, other than a very bare-bones hangar app & a lot of promises by a man who hasn't been relevant in the entertainment industry for over a decade.

On these people's part is more of a advertisement so their money isn't wasted on buying a P2W ship.

And to the people saying its an mmorpg; no the game is not an mmorpg; if that were the case, every game with a lobby to difference servers would be an mmorpg such as minecraft. Its just a multiplayer game where you can only interact with X amount of players per server.

MurderHerd